What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jordan Reed - TE - SF (2 Viewers)

What an absolute animal in the 2nd half. From his arm in a sling to scoring 35+ in FFPC!
No doubt. Was searching for updates when he first went out and I read a tweet some tweets from DR. Chao. First one said it looked like more than just a mild AC joint sprain. Second one said he can't recall a player ever being in a sling and returning.

Between refusing to let the concussions keep him out and what he did yesterday I just don't think this guy gets nearly enough credit for being one of the toughest players in the game. He's the kind of player fans should respect. But that's not reality. Reality is when he first got injured yesterday people were tweeting up a storm how soft he and always injured he was and the next time he's hurt people will do it again.

Numbers were great but strongly aided by garbage time.  I'm very concerned with AC injury.  That isn't going to get better this year.  Could limit his snaps going forward.
Even if you wanted to consider that last drive garbage time, which I don't, he stil had a strong game and also missed most of the first half so don't really get the nitpick here.

I have three championships I've the last 15 years that were all aided heavily by garbage time.  Not sure that's a knock.  Also as mentioned above, were there really any garbage time points?  I equate garbage time as being behind by three scores in the fourth and defense is bending, allowing for large chunk yardage plays.  Washington kept it honest the whole game.

So good.

And he won't be on my team after this year. 

Even if he doesn't miss a game the rest of the year, between AC joint and concussions, he could leave game at any moment.  

• Smile
Reactions: Jed
So good.

And he won't be on my team after this year. 

Even if he doesn't miss a game the rest of the year, between AC joint and concussions, he could leave game at any moment.  
Same here. Love the guy and own him but can't do it anymore after this year.

:shrug:

Gronk misses games every year and goes in the 1st or 2nd round.

I'm not saying draft Reed in the 1st  or 2nd Rds, but I drafted him late 4th this year and am glad I did. If he's healthy in August next year and Cousins is still there I'll do it again
Had concussion issues before he got a other concussion this year.  

Not all injuries are the same.  Gronk's next injury probably won't end his career.  Reed's next concussion could.  

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/348975/Jordan-Reed-has-Grade-3-shoulder-separation

Redskins coach Jay Gruden revealed Friday that Jordan Reed has a Grade 3 AC joint separation in his shoulder.

http://www.sportsandortho.com/minneapolis/ac-joint-separation.htm

Grade 3: The most severe shoulder separation completely tears both your AC and CC ligaments and puts your shoulder joint noticeably out of position.
If I make the playoffs because of that performance I'm gonna send him a fruitcake.

How long does a player miss with this kind of injury?
Doc Chao says pain and missed practice for 6 weeks but can play through injury with pain meds and not miss a game.

Mere mortals might miss a few games or say no to pain meds but we are talking about Jordan Reed. I truly expect him to play week 13.

:shrug:

Gronk misses games every year and goes in the 1st or 2nd round.

I'm not saying draft Reed in the 1st  or 2nd Rds, but I drafted him late 4th this year and am glad I did. If he's healthy in August next year and Cousins is still there I'll do it again
I've got him on three teams (one an FFPC). He single handedly may be sending me to the playoffs in all of them even if he's done for the year. It'll be a blow if he's out but he helped get me there. In PPR getting him in the fourth was a steal even with missed games. Kinda like getting Bell early second due to missing first three games. Him injuring his shoulder like that was a hard luck circumstance. 

Any updates on Reed yet?  I think it's a given that I have to pick up Vernon Davis...although Jared Cook is teasing me to roster him instead.

Any updates on Reed yet?  I think it's a given that I have to pick up Vernon Davis...although Jared Cook is teasing me to roster him instead.

He's not practicing, but I think that's to be expected all week. I'm betting on him warming up Sunday and being a gametime decision. No reason to let the Cardinals know if he's playing or not during the week. Make them prepare for the beast. 

Fantasy he's gold but as a NFL tight end he's basically only a oversized receiver and a complete liability when asked to block. He cost the Skins a clear touchdown on his one of his many whiffs on Thanksgiving. 

I would run double TE sets all day long with Davis doing the heavy blocking on runs and Reed just chipping before going out. 

Really don't want to blow my waiver on Vernon Davis, if reed is going to play.

What are Reed owners without a backup doing?  I carried Barnidge most of the season until a few week ago. He wasn't exactly fantasy gold.

What are Reed owners without a backup doing?  I carried Barnidge most of the season until a few week ago. He wasn't exactly fantasy gold.
He's a beast, but he's a constant injury risk with his concussions, so I have capable backups in both my leagues. Need to fly with a safety net with this guy. 

What are Reed owners without a backup doing? I carried Barnidge most of the season until a few week ago. He wasn't exactly fantasy gold.
Fiedo, Green, McDonald and Gresham have plus match-ups if they're available. I'd be hesitant to use Davis against ARI as they're allowing the least points to TEs this season. Really, WAS's next two match-ups are bad for TEs.

I own zero shares of Reed but as a Kirk owner I need Reed back.

V. McDonald. Chicago keeps losing bodies and I believe they just lost their best ILB who covers TEs. 

L. Green snaps are increasing. Could see him breaking out against a NYG secondary that's good vs. WRs.

Longshot: J. Hill (instead of C. Fleener) vs DET who love giving up points to TEs.

I have both Reed and Davis, but hate the AZ matchup. If Reed is ruled out I may go with McDonald over Davis.

Fantasy he's gold but as a NFL tight end he's basically only a oversized receiver and a complete liability when asked to block. He cost the Skins a clear touchdown on his one of his many whiffs on Thanksgiving. 
Jimmy Graham

Antonio Gates

Oversized WRs.  

These are good NFL players, whether they block or not.  

I am betting Reed doesn't play this weekend. Have same info as all of you, so we're all in the holding pattern together and any updates can change the opinion, but from what I've seen so far -- the grade 3 separation, the MRI having been done with Reed still unclear of timetable, 30% range of motion, etc. -- all makes me skeptical he can practice in the next two days. 

Skins need wins to stay in the hunt, so both Reed and Gruden will want him out there even if he's only limited -- he can still have an impact that can help win games. But they also have a decent backup in Davis who has show resurgence and the ability to take up all the slack if needed, so they may opt to go that way against ARI.

Your guess is good as mine at this point, but my money is on "under" -- Reed sitting out, and me planning now to have an alternate ready to go.

I'm staying optimistic based on this:

David J. Chao, MD Verified account @ProFootballDoc Nov 28
David J. Chao, MD Retweeted Mike Jones

Why @Real_JordanReed will miss plenty of practice time but should not miss any games for @Redskins. http://shar.es/18qoqI  Item#3

David J. Chao, MD Verified account @ProFootballDoc Nov 26
David J. Chao, MD Retweeted Josh Braddy

1st week back hardest. Need to control associated soft tissue swelling. May be limited early but #JordanReed back faster than people think.
Irony on #JordanReed AC sprain: Grade 3 looks/feels worse initially but ends of bones don't rub. Grade 2 clavicle in contact, greater pain.

David J. Chao, MD Retweeted Josh Braddy

Yes, @JeneBramel always accurate Yes grade 3=severe AC. This is @NFL. Believe #JordanReed will not miss much if any. Returned for 2nd half.

David J. Chao, MD Verified account @ProFootballDoc Nov 25
David J. Chao, MD Retweeted Adam Schefter

#JordanReed Bad news: severe AC injury, 6 wks pain, miss practices Good news: no surgery, play thru games with meds.

one tackle landing on that shoulder = badder injury

WAS would be fools to play him

5 games left in the season and they got a half a game lead in wild card race. It's football, almost no one is 100% this time of year. If he has enough range of motion and pain tolerance to be able to play and be effective the only foolish decision would be to tell him to sit.

except they have Vernon Davis - one hit to that shoulder and Reed can be done for the year

how's that going to look last 4 games ? they can win without Reed - but not in the playoff's when they REALLY will need him

Just as a value check in dynasty - before last week's game I sent Hunter Henry and a late 2017 2nd round rookie pick for Reed.

I have a legit shot at a championship this year, and the other guy is in a bit of a rebuild.

My back up is Kyle Rudolph, who plays Dallas tomorrow night. As much as I love Reed, I can't afford a goose egg, so it's a no-brainer for me. Kind of glad I don't have to be teased up until the Sunday kickoff. 

Even if Reed plays, which I doubt, I suspect he's limited to being a decoy on passing downs to help clear out routes for the other receivers. Wouldn't be shocked if he doesn't get a single target.

Just as a value check in dynasty - before last week's game I sent Hunter Henry and a late 2017 2nd round rookie pick for Reed.

I have a legit shot at a championship this year, and the other guy is in a bit of a rebuild.
I am not sure where this would line up in terms of ADP for start ups following the 2016 season, but I do think with the risk of other concussions for Reed in the future that Henry has more value in the long term or big picture valuations of the two players at this time.

Henry is a promising young player in a good situation in the near term. I don't know that Henry will ever have the same upside in terms of the high number of receptions that Reed has been producing however.

If you look at it in terms of dynasty rookie draft picks, Henry was a 2nd round pick value except in leagues with higher scoring for TE where Henry was likely a 1st round pick. So two seconds or a 1st and a second round pick for Reed is the price being paid.

Personally I think the goal is to obtain as many of the top players available as possible, so I think Reed helps you win more than the value of two 2nd round rookie picks. So I like the Reed side of the deal. This sounds like a situation where it is a good deal for both owners. Getting Reed helps the team trying to win now have a better chance of accomplishing that. The team not in a position to take advantage of Reed right now gets a safer younger player who could match Reed possibly with Rivers in the next couple of seasons. I think is I were the Reed seller, I would still ask for something more. A 1st and 2nd round value instead of two seconds for example.

The second round pick gives the Reed owner some insurance if Reed does get injured again and his career ends quickly as a result.

If you have Reed you should also be carrying at least another TE option as well, perhaps more than one. So from the buyers perspective you are just upgrading your immediate line up. Now that may have been Henry but not likely with Gates still there this season and him being a rookie. Maybe after he showed he can put up some numbers this season I guess that was a huge value bump and could have moved him into some starting lineups then. Anyhow a Reed owner should always have a plan B and possibly a plan C in mind and roster spots are the most valuable asset you have.

Last edited by a moderator:
except they have Vernon Davis - one hit to that shoulder and Reed can be done for the year

how's that going to look last 4 games ? they can win without Reed - but not in the playoff's when they REALLY will need him
That's the thing, Vernon Davis is a very capable replacement. Why risk Reed when Davis can do the job at a high level? He did well filling in for him previously. However, this seems like too much common sense, so it probably won't happen. Very similar to how I felt McCoy should sit with his hamstring injury and let Gillislee take over temporarily. But what do I know.

I'm hoping for him to sit out this week and get a little bit better before the end of the season.  Playoffs for our league start next week and I need him in my lineup.  I have Kelce too though, so I'm a little less impacted by Reed missing time.  Agree with the sentiment that Vernon should be a viable replacement this week for Washington.

My back up is Kyle Rudolph, who plays Dallas tomorrow night. As much as I love Reed, I can't afford a goose egg, so it's a no-brainer for me. Kind of glad I don't have to be teased up until the Sunday kickoff. 

Even if Reed plays, which I doubt, I suspect he's limited to being a decoy on passing downs to help clear out routes for the other receivers. Wouldn't be shocked if he doesn't get a single target.
I'm in the exact same situation and I'm playing Rudolph too.

That's the thing, Vernon Davis is a very capable replacement. Why risk Reed when Davis can do the job at a high level? He did well filling in for him previously. However, this seems like too much common sense, so it probably won't happen. Very similar to how I felt McCoy should sit with his hamstring injury and let Gillislee take over temporarily. But what do I know.

Jacoby Brissett and Garappolo were capable replacements for Brady. Big difference between capable replacement and replacing arguably the best pass catching TE in the NFL.

This is not a McCoy situation. Apples to oranges injuries.

I'm not going to keep beating this point to death. When he's well enough to play he's playing.

I see this week as a rest week for him.  Like many have stated AZ shuts down the TE.  Leave VD out there to handle this one.  Will see.  Going to be interesting come Friday and the injury report.

Their passing game runs through Reed, it's a big difference to when Davis is in there.

As to the statement that one hit to the shoulder and his season is done, ummm, do we know that to be true?

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread