What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Joseph Randle cut and suspended for four games (1 Viewer)

Randle owners: We're screwed.

Yahoo! Sports' Charles Robinson reports the Cowboys believe Darren McFadden is the "best of the bunch" at running back.

Robinson reports the Cowboys are committed to a running back by committee, but he added Dallas would have likely ridden McFadden's hot hand on Saturday night had it been a regular season game. Owner Jerry Jones has talked up Joseph Randle all offseason, but it appears McFadden has a real chance to lead the team in touches if he can stay healthy. The uncertainty surrounding the situation makes Randle un-draftable in the fourth round.

According to Yahoo's Charles Robinson, the Cowboys' plan to use an RBBC backfield is "not a bluff," and the rotation will be a "committee in the purest NFL form."

Per Robinson, "the Cowboys are adamant that their elite offensive line can be the glue that elevates a collection of parts into a greater whole." In other words, the Cowboys are banking on their O-Line and less on the talent of their backfield, which is questionable to be kind with Joe Randle, Darren McFadden, and Lance Dunbar vying for work. Had Saturday night's preseason game been a regular season one, Robinson believes the Cowboys "would have ridden McFadden's hot hand," despite Randle starting the game. Robinson guesses none of the Cowboys' backs will rush for more than 850 yards this season.
This is great news! Unless they bring someone else in....

Randle's ADP will continue to fall right up until kickoff of the first game. Sharks will snatch him up. DMC is a mirage.

This has just all around devolved into a mess. Randle could've been decent behind that o-line. If healthy, maaaaybe DMC could be legit. As is, this is turning into an all around avoid.... don't think there's any clarity here to start any of them, and that really hurts the draft value. Randle looked like a risky RB2, now he's a flex at best that you just can't feel good starting.

Will be interesting to see how this shakes out against the 'Boys.

Guy at my draft tonight who was keeping Randle in the 12th quite literally tried to pawn him off all night (before/during/after the draft). At least he "cuffed" DMC. :shrug:

Guy at my draft tonight who was keeping Randle in the 12th quite literally tried to pawn him off all night (before/during/after the draft). At least he "cuffed" DMC. :shrug:
I don't see why, for a 12th round keeper I'd be happy for when DMC pulls a hammy week 5 and misses the next 6 as "day to day".

I'm not sure I believe it. Do Cowboys fans know Charles Robinson at Yahoo?

Week 2 PS Randle goes 7/30/4.3; McFadden goes 3/4/1.3, with a long of 4, so that means 2 caries at 0.0 (1 & -1). That carry share seems about right to me.

Last night Randle started the dress rehearsal. He was in the first 3 drives. He had all 7 carries in those 3 drives, no DMC, Dunbar was the relief. Then DMC comes in drives 4-5, then the backup backups. Seems like a normal PS game to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
SaintsInDome2006 said:

Week 2 PS Randle goes 7/30/4.3; McFadden goes 3/4/1.3, with a long of 4, so that means 2 caries at 0.0 (1 & -1). That carry share seems about right to me.

Last night Randle started the dress rehearsal. He was in the first 3 drives. He had all 7 carries in those 3 drives, no DMC, Dunbar was the relief. Then DMC comes in drives 4-5, then the backup backups. Seems like a normal PS game to me.
My thoughts exactly. The first three drives of the game, Randle was used as a feature back. DMC shows up and runs through gaping lanes against the backups and is now the guy they'd ride? Huh?

DMC can run fast, so long as you don't ask him to juke anyone or break a tackle, or run fast too often. Otherwise he's getting hurt. I think he may get a series to every 3 or 4 for Randle, but unless Randle gets hurt or outside talent is signed, I'm pretty confident he's the guy.

SaintsInDome2006 said:

Yeah, it's basically that lone update that started the #### storm. I think it will be an RBBC like virtually every backfield in the NFL is a RBBC. I think Randle will get the first crack as the main back. He's basically an unknown without much pedigree, so he could suck and fall into a split with McFadden, but I'd be stunned if McFadden carried the ball more than Randle in the first game.

SaintsInDome2006 said:

My thoughts exactly. The first three drives of the game, Randle was used as a feature back. DMC shows up and runs through gaping lanes against the backups and is now the guy they'd ride? Huh?

DMC can run fast, so long as you don't ask him to juke anyone or break a tackle, or run fast too often. Otherwise he's getting hurt. I think he may get a series to every 3 or 4 for Randle, but unless Randle gets hurt or outside talent is signed, I'm pretty confident he's the guy.
Just looking at the history of Charles Robinson's feed. All of these stories are gossip mongering about RG3, Hardy and Peterson for the most part.

The reason I looked is because I thought he was the same guy talking about possible Peterson trades way too much. After looking.. yep the same guy.

I think another factor is Jones "Arkansas" love for McFadden. I'm sure McFadden will be given more opportunities than he deserves because of it.

SaintsInDome2006 said:

Just looking at the history of Charles Robinson's feed. All of these stories are gossip mongering about RG3, Hardy and Peterson for the most part.

The reason I looked is because I thought he was the same guy talking about possible Peterson trades way too much. After looking.. yep the same guy.
Let's hope this is the case.

I think another factor is Jones "Arkansas" love for McFadden. I'm sure McFadden will be given more opportunities than he deserves because of it.
Combining this with everything else is what makes me nervous about the situation.

I think this is urban legend more than anything. I am pretty sure the Cowboys have not demonstrated any affinity for Razorbacks over other college playeers as long as Jones has owned the team.

Looks like a hot hand RBBC situation similar to Cleveland of last year. If a superior talent emerges then that guy will be the lead back. If one of them gets hurt or fumbles and the other does well as the bell cow then he'll stay the bell cow. If no one emerges it'll be pretty even throughout the year.

I'm just glad I drafted this guy at a discount; he fell in my league due to a shared uncertainty about his role. Hoping I can trade him to the DMac owner.

Chaka said:
I think this is urban legend more than anything. I am pretty sure the Cowboys have not demonstrated any affinity for Razorbacks over other college playeers as long as Jones has owned the team.
I agree with this but there was Felix Jones, so JJ has now acquired both halves of that great Ark backfield from back in the day. He never did acquire Hillis though. Realistically speaking though regardless of how JJ feels about dem Hogs I don't think taht will affect playing time or Garrett's handling of the backfield.

Rotoworld:

Cowboys OC Scott Linehan said the team's run-heavy strategy is "not going to change" despite the departure of DeMarco Murray.

Dallas successfully used a high-volume rushing attack to hide their deficiencies on defense and Tony Romo's ailing back last season. Romo is as healthy as he as been in several years, but the defense is still suspect and the Cowboys still have one of the best lines in the league. The issue for Linehan is at the running back position, where he is saddled with unproven talents like Joseph Randle or washed-up veterans like Darren McFadden. If Randle can prove his flashes last season are sustainable, he could allow the Cowboys to continue their ground-and-pound success from a year ago and turn into a fantasy monster in the process. If he cannot handle the workload, however, Dallas may have to find a new offensive identity on the fly.

Source: Dallas Morning News

Aug 1 - 6:16 AM
This has been my biggest concern about the backfield. How much of last year was impacted by Callahan?

From ESPN's Insider Trading article:

How will the Cowboys backfield shake out this season? Is it Joseph Randle's job to lose?

At the start of training camp, Jerry Jones lauded Randle as the lead back, and there has been nothing evident in camp to make it seem like he won't be the No. 1 guy. Some of that is due to the injuries Darren McFadden (hamstring) and Lance Dunbar (ankle) have had, but most of it is the work Randle has done. He has just 105 carries in his two seasons, and until he shows he can be a workhorse, it is all a guess. But there's no reason not to expect 1,000 yards from Randle with this offensive line. McFadden will have a chance to grow his role, and if he is hot during games, the Cowboys will stick with him. Dunbar will play a valuable third-down role, but he's not an every-down back.

Chaka said:
I agree with this but there was Felix Jones, so JJ has now acquired both halves of that great Ark backfield from back in the day. He never did acquire Hillis though. Realistically speaking though regardless of how JJ feels about dem Hogs I don't think taht will affect playing time or Garrett's handling of the backfield.
They draft Felix, but they replaced him when they realized he was brittle and not that great. They got McFadden off the garbage heap, so honestly, it looks more to me like they just tried to see if he had anything left rather than paying a big price to get him as a sign that they overvalue him. After Murray left, not surprising they are trying more guys. Randle hasn't proven anything. I have him in 1 of 2 drafts and I honestly don't feel great about it, but I think he will outplay McFadden or be healthy even if McFadden shines for a few plays before getting hurt again.

The Boys already said no thanks. / Last year betting against Mac worked too, Murray stepped in after week after week of brutal play by DMC. I say just wait. I can't say I'm not nervous but with great risk comes great reward when it works, I know that.

Of course it won't. He's not an idiot. He wants to win. Whatever back gives him the best chance is who's going to get the lion's share of carries. All of this speculation is really for naught. We have to see who plays better and/or who gets injured come the regular season. Having said that, the idea that Randle is so much better than McFadden is ludicrous. Those saying that have nothing to base that on other than their disdain for McFadden.

Rotoworld:

Joseph Randle - RB - Cowboys

The Fort Worth Star-Telegram suggests Joseph Randle may open the season handling 10-15 carries per game "with (Darren) McFadden slightly below that."

"At the end of the day, we’re both going to get carries however they decide to play it out," said McFadden. Both backs seem resigned to the fact that the Cowboys are committed to a running back by committee. Beat writer Drew Davison confirms none of Dallas' backs "has done enough to separate themselves from the pack." McFadden is shaping up as a dicey flex play to begin the year, while Randle will be toward the back end of RB2s. Lance Dunbar will eat into both players' production in the passing game, further muddying the situation.

Source: Fort Worth Star-Telegram

Sep 1 - 5:57 PM

You can flex that imo. Not bad for a late stash last year. McFadden gets hurt and Randle's a sold RB2.

Here is an article I'll give more credit to. Not some yahoo writing for........yahoo:

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2015/09/01/randle-mcfadden-aiming-start-despite-rb-spot-still-grabs

Quick quote from yesterday's Dallas Cowboys .com article above:

There are media reports surfacing that the Cowboys are leaning toward starting Darren McFadden. But in practice, it appears the club is leaning toward staying with Joseph Randle, who is getting more first-team reps and started last weeks preseason game.
I still think this is randles job to lose, and playing under the bright lights on SNF in week 1 against the g-mens terrible run D will help solidify that role.

Pre-season had given no clarity here and reports seen all over the map.

Randle is sitting there in the late fifth and I'm hoping so one grabs him before my next pick so I don't have to make this decision.

Rotoworld:

Joseph Randle was an unexpected absence from the Cowboys' kickoff luncheon on Wednesday because he had to be in Kansas "for a court appearance."

Per the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, Randle's trip to Wichita "was not related" to a February incident where his ex-girlfriend alleged domestic violence, and was "likely" due to "either a family law case, or a misdemeanor charge." The Cowboys told reporters Randle's absence Wednesday was "for personal reasons."

Source: Fort Worth Star-Telegram

Sep 2 - 6:46 PM

Rotoworld:

Cowboys VP Stephen Jones called running back "a position of interest" for Dallas once NFL teams turn in their final cuts.

Joseph Randle's grip on Dallas' lead-back job appears to be fading, while the Cowboys should be fully aware of Darren McFadden's lengthy injury history. No. 3 back Lance Dunbar has spent three years in the NFL and never totaled more than 30 rushing attempts. The Cowboys missed out on running backs in the draft and could turn to the NFL waiver wire for increased depth.

Source: Clarence Hill Jr. on Twitter

Sep 2 - 9:19 PM

I really think that everyone is panicking way too soon. Joseph Randle is the starter, he will start against the Giants in one week and he will run for 100+ yards and a touchdown.

... not time to cut him just yet... I'm holding...
Cut? It's preseason...
I always cut 4th round guys when there are unsubstantiated rumors of an underachieving, unhealthy older guy that might be moving up the depth chart. Especially when practice reps and preseason reps with the starting unit have gone almost exclusively to said 4th round guy.

You can hold him if you want. Clearly us sharks are going to cut bait. :shark:

I was hoping not to have to take him but he's still there at 7.12 (J. Bell just went) and that seems like very good value from a risk/reward perspective.

... not time to cut him just yet... I'm holding...
Cut? It's preseason...
I always cut 4th round guys when there are unsubstantiated rumors of an underachieving, unhealthy older guy that might be moving up the depth chart. Especially when practice reps and preseason reps with the starting unit have gone almost exclusively to said 4th round guy.

You can hold him if you want. Clearly us sharks are going to cut bait. :shark:
OMG ur a hater !!!

F'ing steal any time after the 4th

1250 yards and 10 TD this year
I'm calling him the steal of the year. Pre-season panic dropped him to the 5th in my keep 2 league (7th rd equiv). He looked damn good last year spelling Murray. I don't see that changing and I'm saying he'll get every opportunity to show it week 1.

What RBs that could be cut would have a shot to get signed and compete for major touches?
Teams also try to trade players for late round draft picks if they think there might be a market for a player they will otherwise cut in the final cut down. Maybe Dallas has their eyes on a few RBs.

What RBs that could be cut would have a shot to get signed and compete for major touches?
The obvious one is Montee ball, since Denver is talking about trading him, Dallas was rumored to like him in that draft class, and Dallas has been rumored to be considering adding depth to the backfield. I don't think ball would start for them right away, but he could earn opportunities. Christine Michael is another long shot, but he could compete.

Most of the guys who are available would be assigned for depth, not to start or get significant touches right away.

If Dallas didn't cut this guy after stealing panties and perfume, it tells me they believe in him. He will get ample chances and with those receivers and that line it would take gross ineptitude or injury to not have a floor beyond his current adp. I'm buying he's good not great but will put up very good rb2 numbers

Users who are viewing this thread