What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Joseph Randle cut and suspended for four games (2 Viewers)

I feel like NFL career implosions all go through three phases:

1. The "knucklehead" phase, where they do something dumb but funny and basically harmless. It foreshadows future problems, but in the short-term just inspires a lot of fantasy team names. Examples: Najeh Davenport, Onterrio Smith

2. The "idiot" phase, where you find yourself being kind of mad at the guy for stupidly throwing away an NFL career. Examples: Ryan Mallett, Johnny Manziel right now

3. The "headcase" phase, where you stop being mad and start realizing there's something really wrong with him. Examples: Titus Young, Barrett Robbins

Randle has clearly gone from Phase 1 (stealing underwear last year) to Phase 2 (melting down after losing the job and then getting cut). This latest move has me worried that he may be moving on to Phase 3.

(I know some people may not believe in Phase 3, and just assume all these guys are idiots. If you feel that way, I defy you to read this profile of Young and not feel any sympathy for him. He's really sick.)

This guy is cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs.  Seems like one of those situations where all the warning signs are out there for everyone to see and it's only a matter of time before he actually kills someone.  Is there any recourse for a situation like his or does society need to wait until he completely snaps and hope he doesn't take too many people with him?

Mental illness is not an easy thing to overcome. Everything in your rational brain may be telling you not to do something but something else compels you to ignore that rationality. I'm not offering this explanation as an excuse. Our society doesn't deal with mental illness in a very compassionate way and getting proper help is difficult as the support is very underfunded. And getting someone with mental illness to actually get help and stay on top of getting help is extremely difficult. Our prisons and streets are filled with people that need help but are unable to find it and, probably a bigger issue, actually staying on or finding the right drug/drugs to help them. I don't know if Randle has a mental illness or not but it sure seems like it. I'm sure getting football hits over the course of his life hasn't helped either.

Mental illness is not an easy thing to overcome. Everything in your rational brain may be telling you not to do something but something else compels you to ignore that rationality. I'm not offering this explanation as an excuse. Our society doesn't deal with mental illness in a very compassionate way and getting proper help is difficult as the support is very underfunded. And getting someone with mental illness to actually get help and stay on top of getting help is extremely difficult. Our prisons and streets are filled with people that need help but are unable to find it and, probably a bigger issue, actually staying on or finding the right drug/drugs to help them. I don't know if Randle has a mental illness or not but it sure seems like it. I'm sure getting football hits over the course of his life hasn't helped either.
I agree and unfortunately when this guy snaps, grabs a gun and starts shooting up a mall (or something like that) the NRA will call it a mental health problem, not a gun problem, and we will continue to do nothing to address either problem.

In the aftermath of these events, anyone remember Orlando (amazing that we have already moved on from that already...freaking 24 hour news cycle), people always look to cast blame on those around the killer for not seeing the warning signs.  Well we have all seen, or heard about, warning signs from this guy and it seems like there is nothing we can do about it.

Ex-Cowboys RB Joseph Randle was arrested for rape Friday morning in Kansas.

Randle fell out of the league in 2015 and has spent the majority of the past 2-3 years in jail for various offenses, including assault, battery, burglary, criminal threats, and possession of drugs. Rape would obviously be his biggest offense to date. It's been a quick, hard fall for the 26-year-old.

Users who are viewing this thread