Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Joseph Randle cut and suspended for four games

Here we go!!!! LMAO!

(Rotoworld)Darren McFadden is sitting out Cowboys OTA practices with a hamstring strain.

Analysis: Ryan Williams also missed Wednesday's session with a sore knee. Joseph Randle is handling first-team reps. The severity of McFadden's injury is unknown, but this will surely generate eyerolls in the fantasy community. Williams has been in and out of practice due to swelling in his surgically repaired knee.

Edited by georg013

I'm not sure I understand all the hate for lack of burst or athleticism for Randle...

According to DraftScout

RANDLE:

Combine 40 - 4.63; 1.63 10-yd split

Pro-day 40 - 4.52; 1.57 10-yd split

Vertical - 35" (Combine)

Broad - 123" (Combine)

3-Cone - 7.01 (Pro-Day)

Short Shuttle - 4.23 (Pro-Day)

MURRAY:

Combine 40 - 4.43; 1.55 10-yd split

Pro-day 40 - None

Vertical - 34.5" (Combine)

Broad - 124" (Combine)

3-Cone - 7.28 (Combine)

Short Shuttle - 4.18 (Combine)

Murray performed all his work at the combine according to Draft Scout, whereas Randle did some at the combine but more at his pro day. Murray appears to have a tick more long speed, by the combine numbers... but the acceleration appears to be comparable as Randle's 10-yd splits of 1.63 (combine) and 1.57 (pro day) aren't far off of Murray's 1.55 (combine). 3-Cone, which Shawn Siegle over at RotoViz is super high on as correlating with NFL success leans toward Randle, showing a tick more agility than Murray (7.01 to 7.28). The jumps are nearly identical, as is the short shuttle.

Add it all up, and they look pretty darn similar to me.

Randle is a FA in my dynasty league. I have no idea where to target him in the draft.

Depending on team need and players available, I could see myself using a late 1st/early 2nd on him. I'd rather have his potential production is 2015 over any of the RBs available after Gurley/Gordon/Yeldon/Coleman.

Randle is a FA in my dynasty league. I have no idea where to target him in the draft.

Depending on team need and players available, I could see myself using a late 1st/early 2nd on him. I'd rather have his potential production is 2015 over any of the RBs available after Gurley/Gordon/Yeldon/Coleman.
I'd add Abdullah in the list of RBs I'd definitely take over him, but otherwise I agree. He's probably an early 2nd at this point in my rankings.

I'm not sure I understand all the hate for lack of burst or athleticism for Randle...

According to DraftScout

RANDLE:

Vertical - 35" (Combine)

Broad - 123" (Combine)

3-Cone - 7.01 (Pro-Day)

MURRAY:

Pro-day 40 - None

Broad - 124" (Combine)

3-Cone - 7.28 (Combine)

Murray performed all his work at the combine according to Draft Scout, whereas Randle did some at the combine but more at his pro day. Murray appears to have a tick more long speed, by the combine numbers... but the acceleration appears to be comparable as Randle's 10-yd splits of 1.63 (combine) and 1.57 (pro day) aren't far off of Murray's 1.55 (combine). 3-Cone, which Shawn Siegle over at RotoViz is super high on as correlating with NFL success leans toward Randle, showing a tick more agility than Murray (7.01 to 7.28). The jumps are nearly identical, as is the short shuttle.

Pro day 40s are not comparable to combine 40s. We have seen this a million times over.

That said, at this point it's more abut NFL tape. Murray has shown his speed on the field. We don't know about Randle's yet.

I'd add Abdullah in the list of RBs I'd definitely take over him, but otherwise I agree. He's probably an early 2nd at this point in my rankings.

I may be with you, but if I need some 2015 production I'd lean Randle. I like AA but think it will take a season or a good part of 2015 to get fantasy relevant touches.

According to DraftScout

RANDLE:

Vertical - 35" (Combine)

Broad - 123" (Combine)

3-Cone - 7.01 (Pro-Day)

MURRAY:

Pro-day 40 - None

Broad - 124" (Combine)

3-Cone - 7.28 (Combine)

Pro day 40s are not comparable to combine 40s. We have seen this a million times over.

That said, at this point it's more abut NFL tape. Murray has shown his speed on the field. We don't know about Randle's yet.

"Shown his speed"?

Murray wouldn't run a 4.43 now if he had a .2 second head-start. His speed on the field is slow. Good vision, good power, but speed and burst are not where he excels. Randle looked faster than him, on the field, last year. Obviously the jury is still out on the other aspects that make up a RB, but he at least has speed to match Murray.

His speed looked fine to me on the 9+ games he had 20+ yard runs last year. Those don't happen that frequently without a little speed.

Conversely, it's a little easier to look fast when you are coming into the game facing defenses that have been pummeled into submission.

All of these points have been covered ad nauseam in this thread, but I'll reiterate the relevant ones here.

1) 15-20 yard runs are often a product of offensive line play. Big long touchdowns once you're at the second level are more indicative of speed. Murray was among the league's worst at converting those 15-20 yard runs into long touchdowns.

2) Randle broke off 20+ yard runs at a higher rate than Murray did

3) In regards to the "defenses that have been pummeled into submission" jazz, only one of Randle's long runs came in the 4th quarter.

Murray's 4.43 combine time is about as relevant as Jonathan Stewart's 4.46. After several years of aging and leg injuries, neither guy has that speed anymore.

I have the 2.03 and thought that might be early but now I'm coming around to it being a good value/gamble (if he's there).

According to DraftScout

RANDLE:

Vertical - 35" (Combine)

Broad - 123" (Combine)

3-Cone - 7.01 (Pro-Day)

MURRAY:

Pro-day 40 - None

Broad - 124" (Combine)

3-Cone - 7.28 (Combine)

"Shown his speed"?

Murray wouldn't run a 4.43 now if he had a .2 second head-start. His speed on the field is slow. Good vision, good power, but speed and burst are not where he excels. Randle looked faster than him, on the field, last year. Obviously the jury is still out on the other aspects that make up a RB, but he at least has speed to match Murray.

You beat me to it! I watched every Randle run last year and I could care less what his combine 40 time was, because the dude looked decisive and fast. Yes, Murray was grinding down D's and he's a tremendous RB, but there is no way in hell that he looked faster than Randle on the field last year. Edited by FGITLOTR

I have the 2.03 and thought that might be early but now I'm coming around to it being a good value/gamble (if he's there).

2.03 would be about the point it would make sense for me. I definitely like the top 12 or 13 rookies more than Randle. After that though, I think you can make a pretty good case for Randle over Jay Ajayi, Duke Johnson, David Johnson, Devin Smith, Maxx Williams, etc.

So, now that mcfadden n williams are sitting out who's the next man up? Any word? Google turned up nothing . Im hoping that you local guys can chime in!

Lance Dunbar and UDFA Syngyn Days are the other RBs on the roster. Recently the team brought in Ben Tate, Daniel Thomas and Felix Jones for workouts. Perhaps they sign a veteran "camp body" who would then have a chance to show more. Guys like Bradshaw or Moreno could get a shot once they prove healthy.

Edited by Dr. Octopus

His speed looked fine to me on the 9+ games he had 20+ yard runs last year. Those don't happen that frequently without a little speed.

Conversely, it's a little easier to look fast when you are coming into the game facing defenses that have been pummeled into submission.

All of these points have been covered ad nauseam in this thread, but I'll reiterate the relevant ones here.

1) 15-20 yard runs are often a product of offensive line play. Big long touchdowns once you're at the second level are more indicative of speed. Murray was among the league's worst at converting those 15-20 yard runs into long touchdowns.

3) In regards to the "defenses that have been pummeled into submission" jazz, only one of Randle's long runs came in the 4th quarter.

Murray's 4.43 combine time is about as relevant as Jonathan Stewart's 4.46. After several years of aging and leg injuries, neither guy has that speed anymore.

A "higher rate"???!? Randle has had 3 runs over 20 yards in his CAREER. You are comparing RATES based on that?

Since it is only three, it's fairly easy to take a closer look at them... All three were from 2014. He had no 20 yard runs in 2013 on 54 attempts.

The first 38 yarder against Seattle was exactly as you'd like - a nice run against a good D. Sizeable hole, tackled from behind by Sherman and Kam Chancellor (to be fair there was some traffic downfield - but he didn't seem to blaze away from anyone either). A good run.

The 2nd one went like this

1st and 10 at DAL 13 (11:07) D.Murray left end to DAL 14 for 1 yard (D.Watson). 24 7 2nd and 9 at DAL 14 (10:28) (Shotgun) T.Romo pass short middle to D.Murray to DAL 19 for 5 yards (T.Smith). 3rd and 4 at DAL 19 (9:42) (Shotgun) T.Romo pass short middle to G.Escobar to DAL 33 for 14 yards (J.Cyprien). 1st and 10 at DAL 33 (9:04) D.Murray left guard to DAL 39 for 6 yards (J.Evans). 2nd and 4 at DAL 39 (8:25) D.Murray left end to JAX 40 for 21 yards (J.Cyprien). 1st and 10 at JAX 40 (7:44) J.Randle right tackle for 40 yards, TOUCHDOWN. D.Bailey extra point is GOOD, Center-L.Ladouceur, Holder-C.Jones. 31

It was against the Jags - the 30th rank defense against the run last year.

The 3rd and longest one was against Washington. It was at 1:40 remaining in a 37-17 game.

3 long runs. 2 for TDs, one of those coming in the garbagiest of garbage time - which was the only run where he actually ran away from people. The Jacksonville run run was the best IMO, but he plowed through guys, he didn't run away from them. So there you have it, the basis for all of the stats and comparisons with Murray.

The dude may be great, I don't know. But people have very high expectations of a guy with a very limited track record. As far as speed goes, I still contend he looks fast enough, but the speed doesn't look overwhelming by any stretch.

LOL ... relevant=points that support your argument.

I've already linked videos of a few of Randle's long runs and it's obvious he is far from a burner. He has average burst and speed ... and he was always running fresh. Also, burst and top end speed are two different things and I'm simply tired of arguing that fact with people.

Either way, I think it's a pointless argument because if someone gets 300+ touches in Dallas, they are going to be a top 5 back. We just need to determine which one it will be. Randle looks like he has the best chance at that happening right now even though I was thinking it would be McFadden a month ago. The truth is, we probably won't have a good idea of who it will be until later this summer.

According to DraftScout

RANDLE:

Vertical - 35" (Combine)

Broad - 123" (Combine)

3-Cone - 7.01 (Pro-Day)

MURRAY:

Pro-day 40 - None

Broad - 124" (Combine)

3-Cone - 7.28 (Combine)

"Shown his speed"?

Give Randle the ball 460 times and see how fast he looks.

A "higher rate"???!? Randle has had 3 runs over 20 yards in his CAREER. You are comparing RATES based on that?

Since it is only three, it's fairly easy to take a closer look at them... All three were from 2014. He had no 20 yard runs in 2013 on 54 attempts.

The first 38 yarder against Seattle was exactly as you'd like - a nice run against a good D. Sizeable hole, tackled from behind by Sherman and Kam Chancellor (to be fair there was some traffic downfield - but he didn't seem to blaze away from anyone either). A good run.

1st and 10 at DAL 13 (11:07) D.Murray left end to DAL 14 for 1 yard (D.Watson). 24 7 2nd and 9 at DAL 14 (10:28) (Shotgun) T.Romo pass short middle to D.Murray to DAL 19 for 5 yards (T.Smith). 3rd and 4 at DAL 19 (9:42) (Shotgun) T.Romo pass short middle to G.Escobar to DAL 33 for 14 yards (J.Cyprien). 1st and 10 at DAL 33 (9:04) D.Murray left guard to DAL 39 for 6 yards (J.Evans). 2nd and 4 at DAL 39 (8:25) D.Murray left end to JAX 40 for 21 yards (J.Cyprien). 1st and 10 at JAX 40 (7:44) J.Randle right tackle for 40 yards, TOUCHDOWN. D.Bailey extra point is GOOD, Center-L.Ladouceur, Holder-C.Jones. 31

The 3rd and longest one was against Washington. It was at 1:40 remaining in a 37-17 game.

3 long runs. 2 for TDs, one of those coming in the garbagiest of garbage time - which was the only run where he actually ran away from people. The Jacksonville run run was the best IMO, but he plowed through guys, he didn't run away from them. So there you have it, the basis for all of the stats and comparisons with Murray.

The dude may be great, I don't know. But people have very high expectations of a guy with a very limited track record. As far as speed goes, I still contend he looks fast enough, but the speed doesn't look overwhelming by any stretch.

http://www.nfl.com/v...d-touchdown-run - This is the one with 1:47 left and you failed to mention that the box was stacked and after slipping the tackle at the line, he had a wide open run at the end zone and BOTH corners almost ran him down from either side of the field.

http://www.nfl.com/v...r-a-38-yard-run - Run vs Seattle - Richard Sherman ran him down like he was standing still. Granted, he had the angle but if he had elite speed, he should have been able to kick it in after the last slight change of direction and at least make it so Sherman didn't have to SLOW DOWN to tackle him.

http://www.dallascow...ense-40-yard-td - This is speed????? He had to break two tackles to get in the end zone after running through a giant hole.

But hey!! What the hell do I know. I'm just a guy that watches football. I see a guy that comes in for a few carries a game completely fresh and looks like he can move.

And part of this is just me having fun with the guys that are saying Randle is a burner. Top end speed is probably the most overrated quality for an NFL back. BURST after the initial cut, vision, lateral agility, and power are what make great NFL running backs. I think Randle is average in at least 3 of those categories and Murray was above average in at least 3.

http://www.nfl.com/v...d-touchdown-run - This is the one with 1:47 left and you failed to mention that the box was stacked and after slipping the tackle at the line, he had a wide open run at the end zone and BOTH corners almost ran him down from either side of the field.

http://www.nfl.com/v...r-a-38-yard-run - Run vs Seattle - Richard Sherman ran him down like he was standing still. Granted, he had the angle but if he had elite speed, he should have been able to kick it in after the last slight change of direction and at least make it so Sherman didn't have to SLOW DOWN to tackle him.

http://www.dallascow...ense-40-yard-td - This is speed????? He had to break two tackles to get in the end zone after running through a giant hole.

But hey!! What the hell do I know. I'm just a guy that watches football. I see a guy that comes in for a few carries a game completely fresh and looks like he can move.

And part of this is just me having fun with the guys that are saying Randle is a burner. Top end speed is probably the most overrated quality for an NFL back. BURST after the initial cut, vision, lateral agility, and power are what make great NFL running backs. I think Randle is average in at least 3 of those categories and Murray was above average in at least 3.

I see something entirely different from those clips. Randle displayed more than adequate speed, especially considering he was running impeded by traffic. There is certainly nothing in those clips to make me believe Randle cannot be successful if slated as the starter. Undoubtedly Randle benefited by bringing fresh legs into a game, so we will have to see if he can have the same success as game hits wear him down. Will Randle get the meat Murray left on the bone? No. Murray had a career season, and that should not be the yardstick by which we measure Randle.

My biggest concern with Randle is his lack of maturity and the poor choices he has made. IF he can keep his nose clean and focused on being an NFL RB, the opportunity is there to have a breakout season.

• Like 1

Randle displayed more than adequate speed

Again, I agree. That is actually a great description of how fast he is. He has more than adequate speed. He is not a burner. Nor does he look like he is "shot out of a cannon" when he runs.

• Like 1

Rotoworld:

According to Pro Football Focus, 22 percent of Joseph Randle's carries last season went for 10 or more yards.

That was the highest percentage in football and double the league average. Of course, that number came in a small sample: Randle logged just 51 carries. A whopping 214 of Randle's 344 yards came after contact. The 23-year-old certainly has big play potential. With DeMarco Murray gone, Randle is the favorite to open the season as the Cowboys' lead back.
Jun 4 - 8:43 PM

Rotoworld:

The Dallas Morning News' Jon Machota believes Joseph Randle will open the season as the Cowboys' starting running back.

"As long as he's available, meaning he's staying out of trouble," Machota said, "I believe the starting job is his." Machota is the second Cowboys' beat reporter to project Randle as the starter. Randle is a value at his current fifth-round ADP, but his draft position should skyrocket as his hold on the starting job tightens.

Source: Dallas Morning News

Jun 6 - 1:21 PM

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.dallascowboys.com/video/2015/05/15/flashback-joseph-randles-best-runs-2014

The Chicago run looks nice also.

This also has the 3 runs listed on the page before.

I am more of a fan of olines and schemes than actual rbs and Dallas has very good of both.

If Randle can keep his nose clean I think he brings excellent value to his owners