What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Joseph Randle cut and suspended for four games (1 Viewer)

Matt Williamson ‏@WilliamsonNFL 2m2 minutes ago

Randle averages 2.5 yards per carry in his four #Cowboys games that he got double digit carries
As detailed in the article by KD Drummond

In 2014, Randle carried the ball 10 or more times just once, Week 16 versus Indianapolis. He toted the rock 13 times for just 37 yards, a 2.85 ypc average. DeMarco Murray also played in that game. His totals? 22 rushes for 58 yards, a 2.64 ypc average. Both Dallas runners struggled mightily and this in no way should be used to characterize Randle’s skills.

Randle also carried the ball double-digit times over a three-game stretch early in 2013.

• Week 6 vs Washington: 11 carries, 17 yards
  • Week 7 @ Philadelphia: 19 carries, 65 yards
  • Week 8 @ Detroit: 14 carries, 26 yards
Again, it would behoove all involved if context was applied. Randle was nowhere near the physical specimen he was in 2014 and is now. The Cowboys were not a good running team, at all, from 2012 through the majority of 2013. It wan’t until the second-half of center Travis Frederick’s rookie year that the run game began to gel and to be used effectively. Murray himself had some clunkers in the early part of 2012. Week Two vs Kansas City where he rushed 12 times for 25 yards. Week Five vs Denver saw him net 12 carries for 43 yards.

Murray saw great success in the second half of the season in 2013. The only opportunity for a large amount of carries for Randle during that stretch? A 9 carry, 58 yard performance against Chicago in Week 14 (5.89 ypc).

Bottom line make your own decision. Some will be happy some will not no matter which way it goes.
Chicago had the worst defense in the history of their franchise that year. Sidenote, 2014 was second worst. Your point is still valid, though.

Rotoworld:

Joseph Randle - RB - Cowboys

ESPN Dallas projects the Cowboys to keep three running backs on the final roster.

Beat writers seem very confident about the current pecking order in Dallas' backfield. Joseph Randle enters camp as the clear starter, Darren McFadden will push him from a change-of-pace role and Lance Dunbar is the passing back. Ryan Williams and Lache Seastrunk are projected cuts. Randle's ADP is currently peaking at the top of Round 4.

Related: Darren McFadden, Lance Dunbar

Source: ESPN Dallas
Jul 23 - 12:32 PM

Rotoworld:

Cowboys RB Joseph Randle has received deferred adjudication for his shoplifting arrest last October.

Randle was busted for stealing cologne and underwear from a department store. As long as he stays out of trouble for the next 180 days, the misdemeanor will be dismissed. Randle was fined and isn't expected to face a suspension.

Source: Dallas Morning News
Jul 24 - 10:07 AM

Rotoworld:

Cowboys RB Joseph Randle has received deferred adjudication for his shoplifting arrest last October.

Randle was busted for stealing cologne and underwear from a department store. As long as he stays out of trouble for the next 180 days, the misdemeanor will be dismissed. Randle was fined and isn't expected to face a suspension.

Jul 24 - 10:07 AM
No more dirty laundry for the underwear bandit. :towelwave:

dudes got a HUGE opportunity this season. I hope he has the ability, both mentally, and physically to take advantage.

I think Randle is one player where the value for Redraft vs. Dynasty vs. DFS is dramatically different.

I'd put his value HIGHEST in DFS for Fanduel or DraftKings where his price will certainly be mid-to-low end, and yet he figures to get the majority of touches week-to-week. If he gets injured due to the RB1 workload (assuming he doesn't get taken over by DMC/Dunbar). If he proves to be ineffective, you just move away from him going forward.

In re-draft, if his price continues to climb to to 3rd round, he loses the appeal of getting a decent RB behind a solid o-line at a cheap price. Plus, you bear the season-long risk of injury or ineffectiveness. I'd give it a great than 50% chance of something happening in 16 weeks to derail his value, and I'm moderately high on Randle (but would prefer DMC or Dunbar for his ADP).

His value is even worse in dynasty where I don't think many people have the faith that he is anything "special" in an RB.

In contrast, say, Forte (on the high end) or Lamar Miller (on the low end) are the opposite, where I'd gladly take the stability over the season (favoring their value in re-draft) but they might not have as much comparative single-game upside (not favoring them as much in DFS).

I think Randle is one player where the value for Redraft vs. Dynasty vs. DFS is dramatically different.

I'd put his value HIGHEST in DFS for Fanduel or DraftKings where his price will certainly be mid-to-low end, and yet he figures to get the majority of touches week-to-week. If he gets injured due to the RB1 workload (assuming he doesn't get taken over by DMC/Dunbar). If he proves to be ineffective, you just move away from him going forward.

In re-draft, if his price continues to climb to to 3rd round, he loses the appeal of getting a decent RB behind a solid o-line at a cheap price. Plus, you bear the season-long risk of injury or ineffectiveness. I'd give it a great than 50% chance of something happening in 16 weeks to derail his value, and I'm moderately high on Randle (but would prefer DMC or Dunbar for his ADP).

His value is even worse in dynasty where I don't think many people have the faith that he is anything "special" in an RB.

In contrast, say, Forte (on the high end) or Lamar Miller (on the low end) are the opposite, where I'd gladly take the stability over the season (favoring their value in re-draft) but they might not have as much comparative single-game upside (not favoring them as much in DFS).
Assuming he's the starter and performs well, his dynasty value will rise significantly. Recency bias of his performance will overshadow the opinion that he's nothing special. It's at that point I'll looking to cash out my chips.

I got him for next to nothing hoping to flip him for anything of value. Then Dallas failed to sign anyone other than McFadden. I really don't know how I feel about him long term. Part of me believes he looks the part and could end up being the answer in Dallas. But another part of me can't help but wonder will I have to look over my shoulder every month wondering if Dallas is going to bring someone in. Christine Michael? A rookie? Lamar Miller? Undecided what to do. I guess the proof will be in the pudding. What will it take for non-believers to say, "Hey, I think Dallas just found its next starting RB?" My biggest fear is that I sell him and he ends up living up to the hype for years to come.

Last edited by a moderator:
At the beginning of Cowboys camp Wednesday, owner Jerry Jones endorsed Joseph Randle as Dallas' "No. 1 back."

Specifically, Jones "expressed confidence" that Randle can handle the load as Dallas' lead runner. The Cowboys are expected to mix in washed-up Darren McFadden and scatback Lance Dunbar, but Randle is in position to open the season as the starter. A fifth-round pick in the 2013 draft, Randle is a questionable talent, albeit one poised to run behind the NFL's premier offensive line. Randle's fantasy stock is sure to skyrocket to the point where he's an aggressive-bordering-on-reaching fantasy pick by the end of August.

baring an injury its smooth sailing from here on out. He'll easily out perform the other RBs on that team.
The Chris Johnson, Lache Seastrunk, Darren McFadden, Adrian Peterson, Ray Rice, Bryce Brown, Lamar Miller, and Lance Dunbar hopefuls don't want to hear this. As far as they are concerned, Joseph Randle could NEVER be a number one. Ever.

baring an injury its smooth sailing from here on out. He'll easily out perform the other RBs on that team.
Maybe just because I got burned last year, but I get a bit of a Montee Ball vibe. I wonder how high Randle climbs in ADP a month from now?

By the time Labor Day rolls around (when many of us hold our drafts) his value will be incredibly disproportionate to his ability and opportunity. I would pass on him at the spot where I would have to reach for him at that point (probably early 2nd round) and try to snag McFadden later.

Darren McFadden was already hurt and missing time back in OTAs.

Now he re-aggravated his hamstring last week (on his own) and placed on the PUP.

Despite this, the Cowboys havent signed anyone. When they do (and they will) it will be as a back up to Randle.

Demarco Murray was already hurt and missing time back in OTAs.

Now he re-aggravated his hamstring last week (on his own) and placed on the PUP.

Despite this, the Cowboys havent signed anyone. When they do (and they will) it will be as a back up to Randle.
Who , what? Did you mean to post this in the McFadden thread?

Chaka said:
By the time Labor Day rolls around (when many of us hold our drafts) his value will be incredibly disproportionate to his ability and opportunity. I would pass on him at the spot where I would have to reach for him at that point (probably early 2nd round) and try to snag McFadden later.
maybe on his ability, but Im thinking not on his opportunity.

Chaka said:
maybe on his ability, but Im thinking not on his opportunity.
It looks like you may be right.

Randle is available as a FA in one of my dynasty leagues. It will be interesting to see where he gets drafted in our rookie/FA draft. He's probably a 1st round pick.

I was deciding between Marlon Brown and Randle last year, for a last minute stash, and took Brown of course. Ugh so dumb.

I have one more keeper spot, picked up Randle last yr as FA, based on our rules he would cost me a 7th right now...even if he jumps up, worse I would give up would be a 6th.

Really giving consideration of him as my last keeper. Top 10 upside for whoever gets that starting job

Can he pass block? Keeping Romo upright is far more important then any other ability imo.
I'm pretty sure Dallas has considered this. Randle will be just fine in that department. We can probably stop finding things to worry about and watch the new RB for the Cowboys ascend through the ranks! Lol.

Can he pass block? Keeping Romo upright is far more important then any other ability imo.
I'm pretty sure Dallas has considered this. Randle will be just fine in that department. We can probably stop finding things to worry about and watch the new RB for the Cowboys ascend through the ranks! Lol.
I'm starting to think you're right.
I agree, but as a Randle owner I'm trying to temper my enthusiasm. I'd be shocked if they don't add a viable back at the end of training camp, after all the cuts. How much of DMAC's salary is guaranteed this year?

I have one more keeper spot, picked up Randle last yr as FA, based on our rules he would cost me a 7th right now...even if he jumps up, worse I would give up would be a 6th.

Really giving consideration of him as my last keeper. Top 10 upside for whoever gets that starting job
What's your situation at kicker? Should probably mention that so we have all the pieces.

I have to decide between Dr. Randle & Mr. Hyde

Rotoworld:

Cowboys OC Scott Linehan said the team's run-heavy strategy is "not going to change" despite the departure of DeMarco Murray.

Dallas successfully used a high-volume rushing attack to hide their deficiencies on defense and Tony Romo's ailing back last season. Romo is as healthy as he as been in several years, but the defense is still suspect and the Cowboys still have one of the best lines in the league. The issue for Linehan is at the running back position, where he is saddled with unproven talents like Joseph Randle or washed-up veterans like Darren McFadden. If Randle can prove his flashes last season are sustainable, he could allow the Cowboys to continue their ground-and-pound success from a year ago and turn into a fantasy monster in the process. If he cannot handle the workload, however, Dallas may have to find a new offensive identity on the fly.

Aug 1 - 6:16 AM

I was just looking at the year to date ADP graph for Joe Randle on FFC.

Back in January Randle was a 13th to 14th round pick. In March this climbed to around the 11th round and saw a slight decline leading closer to the draft as people were expecting the Cowboys to add competition through the draft.

After the Cowboys didn't draft any RB, Randles ADP steadily climbed to the 6th round in May and then jumped to the 4th round in June where it has held since then.

Leroy Hoard - Randle is going 4.01 compared to Hyde at pick 4.03 so they are pretty closely valued.

For redraft I do not consider either of these RB to be value at that draft position and I would prefer CJ Spiller who is going at pick 4.12 over either of them.

Looking at MFL redraft ADP Randle is still under the radar as he is only going at pick 93 ( late seventh round ). I think Randle presents value as a 5th or 6th round pick but I would likely pass in round four.

Back in January Randle was a 13th to 14th round pick. In March this climbed to around the 11th round and saw a slight decline leading closer to the draft as people were expecting the Cowboys to add competition through the draft.

After the Cowboys didn't draft any RB, Randles ADP steadily climbed to the 6th round in May and then jumped to the 4th round in June where it has held since then.

Leroy Hoard - Randle is going 4.01 compared to Hyde at pick 4.03 so they are pretty closely valued.

For redraft I do not consider either of these RB to be value at that draft position and I would prefer CJ Spiller who is going at pick 4.12 over either of them.

Looking at MFL redraft ADP Randle is still under the radar as he is only going at pick 93 ( late seventh round ). I think Randle presents value as a 5th or 6th round pick but I would likely pass in round four.
Spiller 4.12!?!? Not in any draft I've done and I've done 15.Spiller is firmly in the middle to late third and has gone in the second. Randel has also gone as high as the second but usually can be had late 4th/early 5th. If you go WR heavy, you could do worse than take a swing with him IMHO.

These mid tier RBs are all over the board as it pertains to ADP. There's enough variance from site to site that I'm not sure how much value they bring right now. It will probably tighten up as we get closer to the regular season. Of course, by then I imagine we will be seeing Randle in the late 3rd pretty consistently.

I agree, but as a Randle owner I'm trying to temper my enthusiasm. I'd be shocked if they don't add a viable back at the end of training camp, after all the cuts. How much of DMAC's salary is guaranteed this year?
The thing is, it doesn't matter who they add. They wouldnt be adding anyone because they lacked confidence in Randle. It would be because McFadden was on the trainer's table again. The positive reports out of Dallas have been pouring out. It is no longer a guess. The job is Joseph Randle's to lose. The biggest hurdle for any running back is opportunity. Joseph Randle now has that. Based on what we saw last year, he has a great line to run behind, the support of his owner and coaches, PLUS the ability to break some long runs. What more do you need? His ypc was exceptional. I don't care who they bring in at this point. It won't affect the plans they have for Joseph Randle. This is the last stop for owners if they plan to get on the Joseph Randle Express. If you wait until they start playing games, he will leave without you. We are witnessing a budding asset right before our eyes and all we want to do is convince ourselves it's not happening!!! If he fails, it won't be because of lack of opportunity. I have to believe Dallas saw enough in Randle to let Murray walk, pass on a RB in one of the better classes in a long time, and not sign or trade for a RB. You don't do that if you are lukewarm on a guy.

Spiller 4.12!?!? Not in any draft I've done and I've done 15.Spiller is firmly in the middle to late third and has gone in the second. Randel has also gone as high as the second but usually can be had late 4th/early 5th. If you go WR heavy, you could do worse than take a swing with him IMHO.
:shrug: I thought Spiller falling that far was a bit too good to be true also. I guess whoever mocks for them are not Spiller fans.

After july 15 Randle is going at 61 (6th round in a 12 team non IDP leagues).

Have not seen him go past 5.2 in ten combined BB and H2H drafts on MFL

Rotoworld:

ESPN Dallas' Todd Archer suggests Joseph Randle could handle 15 carries per game this season, with Darren McFadden taking ten and Lance Dunbar getting five.

Archer expects Randle to fare "fine" as the Cowboys' replacement for DeMarco Murray, and concedes the weekly touch distribution "is subject to change based on the hot-hand theory." If Randle handled 15 carries per game and stayed healthy, he would finish at 240 for the season. McFadden is a better pass blocker than Randle, while Dunbar is arguably Dallas' best receiving back.

Aug 2 - 2:37 PM

Thanks.

This is a much better list because it only includes drafts since July 15 instead of the whole year so far.

As an experiment here are the 24 players drafted ahead of Randle and the 24 players drafted after him from the after July 15th list:

38. Cooper, Amari OAK WR
39. Miller, Lamar MIA RB
40. Allen, Keenan SDC WR
41. Watkins, Sammy BUF WR
42. Ingram, Mark NOS RB
43. Kelce, Travis KCC TE
44. Tate, Golden DET WR 51
45. Morris, Alfred WAS RB
46. Edelman, Julian NEP WR
47. Gore, Frank IND RB
48. Spiller, C.J. NOS RB
49. Yeldon, T.J. JAC RB
50. Murray, Latavius OAK RB
51. Newton, Cam CAR QB
52. Ellington, Andre ARI RB
53. Bryant, Martavis PIT WR
54. Manning, Peyton DEN QB 61
55. Robinson, Allen JAC WR
56. Landry, Jarvis MIA WR
57. Olsen, Greg CAR TE
58. Brees, Drew NOS QB
59. Johnson, Andre IND WR
60. Ryan, Matt ATL QB
61. Roethlisberger, Ben PIT QB
62. Randle, Joseph DAL RB 63.44 9 227 257
63. Bernard, Giovani CIN RB
64. Maclin, Jeremy KCC WR
65. Marshall, Brandon NYJ WR
66. Abdullah, Ameer DET RB
67. Stewart, Jonathan CAR RB 70
68. White, Kevin CHI WR
69. Agholor, Nelson PHI WR
70. Jackson, DeSean WAS WR
71. Coleman, Tevin ATL RB
72. Stafford, Matthew DET QB
73. Thomas, Julius JAC TE
74. Tannehill, Ryan MIA QB 80
75. Bennett, Martellus CHI TE
76. Ertz, Zach PHI TE
77. Floyd, Michael ARI WR
78. Romo, Tony DAL QB
79. Bell, Joique DET RB
80. Crowell, Isaiah CLE RB
81. Wallace, Mike MIN WR
82. Johnson, Charles MIN WR
83. Adams, Davante GBP WR
84. Jackson, Vincent TBB WR
85. Brady, Tom NEP QB
86. Vereen, Shane NYG RB

This list combines standard and PPR leagues as well. So when drafting in one compared to another there may be some differences.

Brandon Marshall, DeSean Jackson and Mike Wallace are guys drafted after Randle that I would likely take ahead of him, especially in standard leagues.

Although some of the RB such as Bernard, Ameer and Coleman are players I consider to be more talented than Randle, the questions about opportunity are not looking as good to me as they are for Randle. At what point do you draft situation over talent? I cannot really argue that any of these RB being drafted after him are more proven though.

As for players being drafted ahead of Randle on the above list who I might take Randle ahead of:

Ryan and Big Ben. I would take Brees and Manning before Randle.

I would most definitely not be drafting Ellington, Yeldon or Latavius Murray ahead of Randle. At least Gore and Morris are proven. These players are not.

Most of the other players being drafted ahead of him I agree with.

Faust said:
Rotoworld:

ESPN Dallas' Todd Archer suggests Joseph Randle could handle 15 carries per game this season, with Darren McFadden taking ten and Lance Dunbar getting five.

Archer expects Randle to fare "fine" as the Cowboys' replacement for DeMarco Murray, and concedes the weekly touch distribution "is subject to change based on the hot-hand theory." If Randle handled 15 carries per game and stayed healthy, he would finish at 240 for the season. McFadden is a better pass blocker than Randle, while Dunbar is arguably Dallas' best receiving back.

Aug 2 - 2:37 PM
Darren McFadden taking ten

:lmao:

From Bryan Broaddus

As well as Joseph Randle carried the ball during practice, he had better think twice about how he is going about his job in blitz pickup. There were two snaps where Barry Church hammered him back into Tony Romo that could have caused some issues. He was square in his technique but needs to be more firm.
From Nick Eatmon

Joseph Randle, the leader in the clubhouse for the starting job, said pass protection is right there with the rest of the intangibles he’s trying to polish in his quest to win the job.

“It’s about that want-to,” Randle said about pass blocking. “I’m trying to make sure I don’t miss any reads, miss any blocks, miss any cuts.”
Garrett said McFadden’s blitz pick-up is one of the best parts of his game.

“He’s done an excellent job throughout his career. He’s a smart football player. He’s aware. He’s been in those situations. He’s also physically tough,” Garrett said of McFadden. “That’s one of the great impressions that we had of McFadden when he was coming out of school is that he’s a tough guy, he’s a tough runner. Oftentimes, (running backs are) not physically strong enough to handle it and those guys just knock you over and go get the quarterback. But he has all the positive traits and he’s done it a lot.”

And maybe, that part of McFadden’s game will help him catch up in the competition after missing at least a week with a hamstring injury.

Users who are viewing this thread