What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Outlook for Ravens RBs - Does the arrival of King Henry signal the end of the perpetual RBBC ? (1 Viewer)

I think a lot of people that are putting Pierce down are Forsett owners that don't want to admit that Forsett's role here appears to be as a 3rd down/change of pace RB. After last night, I don't see that changing real soon. Yeah - Pierce's best action came late in the game - probably just the way they hoped it would. Running down the clock.
Agreed. Forsett is good for 10-14 touches a game; he is not an every down back. Pierce, as unimpressive as he looked, will likely continue to get the majority of the touches more often than not, but I can see there being weeks where his plodding "I can only get what the defense gives me and nothing more" style results in him not playing as much, and the other backs will have to step up. In other words, it's a cluster####. :lol:

Excluding the last two plays of the game and the four goal line carries, Pierce had 4.75 YPC.

I get that he was bad on the goal line, but I think people are basing too much of their view playing bad on those carries rather than his overall play.
I think a lot of people that are putting Pierce down are Forsett owners that don't want to admit that Forsett's role here appears to be as a 3rd down/change of pace RB. After last night, I don't see that changing real soon. Yeah - Pierce's best action came late in the game - probably just the way they hoped it would. Running down the clock.
I think it's mostly people with two eyes who watched the game last night.
Try watching again.
I absolutely wouldn't subject myself to watching that game again.

PFF's grade is out on Pierce. Hot Aids.

I didn't think he looked that bad when I watched the tape but lots of people are saying he looked terrible. So I'm going to go with mediocre.

Still Mediocre RB that gets 20+ touches a game plus GL work is normally a flex play worst case.

Rotoworld:

The Baltimore Sun suggests Saturday's signing of RB Fitzgerald Toussaint points to the Ravens "potentially having concerns about their depth in the backfield" with Bernard Pierce nursing a thigh injury.

We tentatively expect Pierce to play after he practiced fully on Friday, but he is still listed as questionable, and the Toussaint move was an eyebrow raiser. If Pierce were inactive or aggravated the injury early Sunday against the Browns, the Ravens would figure to give Justin Forsett lead back work with rookie Lorenzo Taliaferro handling increased playing time off the bench.

Source: Baltimore Sun

I think Pierce is going to get the extended audition here. If he's not the guy, they draft somebody next season. But I have a sneaking suspicion that he is the guy.

He averaged 7 yard per carry in the fourth quarter last weekend. Not sure how people are viewing him grinding the Steelers down as a negative. He was over 4 ypc for the game.

:shrug: In a world of committees and role players, I like a guy getting 22 touches and the team winning on his back in the 4th.

Just got an alert Pierce is highly doubtful. Explains why they signed an RB from the practice squad. Of all my crumb-bum #2 backs I liked his chances most. Looks like I roll with Bush.

I didn't think he looked that bad when I watched the tape but lots of people are saying he looked terrible. So I'm going to go with mediocre.

Still Mediocre RB that gets 20+ touches a game plus GL work is normally a flex play worst case.
Two monthes ago Pierce was head and shoulders better than Ray Rice and a much better fit for Kubiak's zone blocking. Now all of the sudden he's a bum.

This place never ceases to amaze me.

Assuming Pierce is out today, does Forsett become a solid RB2 this week? Can we expect 15 carries, 5 catches? Chance of a TD?

Two monthes ago Pierce was head and shoulders better than Ray Rice and a much better fit for Kubiak's zone blocking. Now all of the sudden he's a bum.

People were hoping they'd see more 2012 Pierce and less 2013 Pierce. He's looking more like the latter than the former. Is that really so terribly difficult to grasp?

People were hoping they'd see more 2012 Pierce and less 2013 Pierce. He's looking more like the latter than the former. Is that really so terribly difficult to grasp?
More likely he was never as good as SP posters believed in August, and not as bad as they believe now. The bipolar nature of these boards amazes me. Around here, every player is either garbage or the GOAT, nothing in the middle. Tumbleweeds blown by the wind.

The statements "Mediocre RB" and "head and shoulders better than Ray Rice" are not necessarily mutually exclusive.

The statements "Mediocre RB" and "head and shoulders better than Ray Rice" are not necessarily mutually exclusive.
If Ray Rice is less than a mediocre RB, then he's the greatest over achiever of all time.

Ravens have good problem at running back

By Jamison Hensley | ESPN.com

CLEVELAND -- No one expected the running back position to be one of the deepest on the Baltimore Ravens after the team parted ways with Ray Rice. But you could make that argument right now.

Three games into the season, the Ravens have watched three running backs not only lead the team in rushing but gain at least 70 yards in a game. The latest surprise came in Sunday's 23-21 win over the Cleveland Browns, where rookie fourth-round pick Lorenzo Taliaferro ran for 91 yards and one touchdown on 18 carries.

The Ravens' situation at running back will become more complicated if Bernard Pierce can return next week after sitting out Sunday with a thigh injury. But this is really a good problem to have from the Ravens' standpoint.

Sure, trying to figure out the Ravens' featured back each week is a nightmare for fantasy owners. As far as the Ravens' needs, this has been the best-case scenario because all three running backs have been so productive.

The Ravens now have confidence that Pierce, Taliaferro or Justin Forsett can carry the load when called upon. They've seen it against the Bengals, Steelers and Browns.

In all likelihood, Pierce remains the Ravens' starter when he returns. But that doesn't mean he finishes the game for the Ravens.

Ravens coach John Harbaugh previously said he will go with the hotter back. And the hottest back on the field Sunday was Taliaferro. It makes you wonder why he didn't get a touch in the first two games.

"I think the results speak for themselves with Lorenzo," Harbaugh said. "He was running downhill, physical and was hard to tackle. That is an element that is a big plus for an offense."

The odds of the Ravens starting Taliaferro next week are not strong. The Ravens' history is not to put too much pressure on rookie running backs, although it's tempting to go with Taliaferro based on his decisiveness and ability to finish off runs.

A major reason why the Ravens will probably keep Pierce as the starter is he's bigger than Forsett and has more experience than Taliaferro. The downside is Pierce's injury-filled track record.

Harbaugh said he hopes Pierce's thigh injury is a short-term one.

"We thought we'd get him into the game, but it didn't work out," Harbaugh said. "We should have a good chance of getting him back next week."

Holy #### does Taliaferro look good.
Is this just 1 persons opinion or the masses? I didn't get a chance to watch the game and I'm a Pierce believer so this line of thinking has me curious.
I posted that right after this run, so I was pretty hyped. He still does look very good to me, however. IMO, if the sample size wasn't so tiny I'd deem him their best runner. BAL takes on CAR next week however so IMO they'll all be unstartable if they all play. In fact, I feel kind of bad for Pierce because I'm assuming he'll get the first crack vs. CAR, get stuffed on a bunch of carries and everyone will be shouting "BRING IN TALIAFERRO!".

Is this just 1 persons opinion or the masses? I didn't get a chance to watch the game and I'm a Pierce believer so this line of thinking has me curious.
I posted that right after this run, so I was pretty hyped. He still does look very good to me, however. IMO, if the sample size wasn't so tiny I'd deem him their best runner. BAL takes on CAR next week however so IMO they'll all be unstartable if they all play. In fact, I feel kind of bad for Pierce because I'm assuming he'll get the first crack vs. CAR, get stuffed on a bunch of carries and everyone will be shouting "BRING IN TALIAFERRO!".
First year hall of fame for Taliaferro?

Seems almost likely at this point.

I came away with the opposite impression. I thought he was fat and slow. Look how stiff he is trying to juke the safety on his 60 yard run. (btw, that was a gaping whole) To his credit though, he seemed to have the vision to find the cut back lanes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I came away with the opposite impression. I thought he was fat and slow. Look how stiff he is trying to juke the safety on his 60 yard run. (btw, that was a gaping whole) To his credit though, he seemed to have the vision to find the cut back lanes.
Yeah, good vision seems to be Pierce's achilles heel. It's amazing what even a 230lb dude can do when he can actually find the holes.

defense | H O L E | defense

defense | H O L E | defense
Glad that vine was posted. I didn't get a chance to see the game only the box score. For those who follow more closely, does he usually run upright like that? Also that run in particular looks like he has no long speed and is pretty easy to bring down. Is this the case?

Yeah, that was a huge hole. You'll need to rewatch the game though to get a feel of what I'm talking about. I mentioned this in the other thread, but to excel in a zbs you need to be able to read the gaps in the zone. It's quite difficult and you see many RBs struggle being able to do this. Pierce for instance, ends up running into his own lineman too often. I remember DMC being completely inept as well when OAK switch to from the pbs to the zbs a couple years ago (they've since switched back). Taliaferro does a great job of this however and seems to be the better fit. As for his upright running style, he does run like that as but he's also a pretty big dude. He's not easy to take down however.

Great stuff. These situations can work themselves out when the HC sees what's working. Carolina just got waylaid by the PIT run game though by two backs, so I'm optimistic.

Since this topic is about the outlook of the Ravens RBs should we be concerned with the loss of Eugene Monroe for a month or so? I’m not knowledgeable about their O line and his replacement to have an opinion but I’m thinking that it can’t be good.

Is the demise of Bernard Pierce as much a foregone conclusion as being discussed?

All the talk in the preseason was how Pierce was outplaying Rice, had a similar ZBS in college and was the "best running back in camp."

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/134035/camp-confidential-baltimore-ravens-4

Now the week one starter is suddenly trash?

After the week 1 fumble he was 22/96 in week 2. Many would say he got those yards in garbage time but isn't that when RB bruisers are supposed to shine? At the end of the day it's still a respectable 4.4 ypc.

Taliaferro indeed looked great in week 3 but I'm wondering if his stock might be a little overpriced right now. Not only is he presumed by many to have already leapfrogged Pierce but Forsett is also still in the mix.

I'm not sure you can even classify that as a juke. I wonder if he yelled "serpentine!!" As he attempted that?

Is the demise of Bernard Pierce as much a foregone conclusion as being discussed?

All the talk in the preseason was how Pierce was outplaying Rice, had a similar ZBS in college and was the "best running back in camp."

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/134035/camp-confidential-baltimore-ravens-4

After the week 1 fumble he was 22/96 in week 2. Many would say he got those yards in garbage time but isn't that when RB bruisers are supposed to shine? At the end of the day it's still a respectable 4.4 ypc.

Taliaferro indeed looked great in week 3 but I'm wondering if his stock might be a little overpriced right now. Not only is he presumed by many to have already leapfrogged Pierce but Forsett is also still in the mix.
There's essentially no way Taliaferro will leapfrog Pierce initially. I wouldn't blow my entire FAAB budget on Taliaferro because it's very possible that this situation takes weeks to shake itself out. I think all three are going to render each other unplayable for the time being.

There's essentially no way Taliaferro will leapfrog Pierce initially. I wouldn't blow my entire FAAB budget on Taliaferro because it's very possible that this situation takes weeks to shake itself out. I think all three are going to render each other unplayable for the time being.
Agree with the last sentence in particular. Could be wrong but Harbaugh has already stated he will be taking the hot hand approach which may even be Forsett on any given week. Taliaferro's current WW price, however, would suggest a sooner rather than later starting role which is too rich for my blood given the uncertainty.

Agree with the last sentence in particular. Could be wrong but Harbaugh has already stated he will be taking the hot hand approach which may even be Forsett on any given week. Taliaferro's current WW price, however, would suggest a sooner rather than later starting role which is too rich for my blood given the uncertainty.
I would like to pick him up but I'm guessing he'll go for >60% starting budget. I don't know if it's worth it.

Rotoworld:

When asked about his running backs, Ravens OC Gary Kubiak said "they're all going to play."

Bernard Pierce is back healthy, Lorenzo Taliaferro starred last week and Justin Forsett has at least 12 touches in all three games so far. "We're going to keep a fresh guy on the field -- that's what we're going to do -- and if we feel like one guy has the hot hand, so to speak, then obviously he's going to go back out," Kubiak said. We're expecting Pierce to start, but he hasn't had a hot hand since 2012 and is therefore a weak flex play against a tough Panthers front seven. Taliaferro is a better bet to get the hot hand if he can get some volume. Forsett projects as the change-of-pace option.

Related: Lorenzo Taliaferro, Justin Forsett

Source: ESPN.com

Sep 26 - 6:41 PM
]

Faust said:
Rotoworld:

When asked about his running backs, Ravens OC Gary Kubiak said "they're all going to play."

Bernard Pierce is back healthy, Lorenzo Taliaferro starred last week and Justin Forsett has at least 12 touches in all three games so far. "We're going to keep a fresh guy on the field -- that's what we're going to do -- and if we feel like one guy has the hot hand, so to speak, then obviously he's going to go back out," Kubiak said. We're expecting Pierce to start, but he hasn't had a hot hand since 2012 and is therefore a weak flex play against a tough Panthers front seven. Taliaferro is a better bet to get the hot hand if he can get some volume. Forsett projects as the change-of-pace option.

Related: Lorenzo Taliaferro, Justin Forsett

Source: ESPN.com

Sep 26 - 6:41 PM
The dreaded hot hand....

Pierce gets first crack, so I think that's who I go with. It's anyone's guess though, so I'll avoid the situation where I can.

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Chris Mortensen said Bernard Pierce (thigh) "will be eased" backed into action against the Panthers.

After Lorenzo Taliaferro put on a show with Pierce inactive last week, the Ravens can afford to let Pierce feel his way into the game. Between Taliaferro, Pierce and Justin Forsett, it is almost impossible to predict who will lead the Ravens' backfield in touches against the Panthers. This is a situation to avoid if possible.

Source: Chris Mortensen on Twitter
Sep 28 - 12:18 PM

I really could have used Lorenzo in my lineup this week. What a mess. I need to pray that Gronk has a bigger day then Edelman tonight else I'd be sitting pretty.

I really could have used Lorenzo in my lineup this week. What a mess. I need to pray that Gronk has a bigger day then Edelman tonight else I'd be sitting pretty.
In other news....

It looks like one should totally avoid this backfield except in the most dire of circumstances. This fantasy situation would have been much simpler if TMZ hadn't released that video.

Yeah, this situation is a mess. It does appear though, that Taliaferro is the best guy to own and has the brightest future there. I think he's still on my waiver wire. If so, definitely dropping Pierce for him.

Yeah, this situation is a mess. It does appear though, that Taliaferro is the best guy to own and has the brightest future there. I think he's still on my waiver wire. If so, definitely dropping Pierce for him.
I agree with this, but in redraft leagues, Forsett makes a valuable RB3/Flex type.

He is averaging 15 touches/game (AT LEAST 12 in each game), and 80 YFS each game. In PPR leagues, he's even more valuable, as he has at least 3 catches each game.

He won't win you many weeks all on his own, but he should be a solid (if boring) option.

Wonder if Jax would consider Ray Rice? They are about as out of the spotlight as any team and could use a starting RB. I don't see how the NFL can just hold the guy in limbo when his now wife never pressed charges. Whether a team gives him a chance is of course another story.

Users who are viewing this thread