What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Outlook for Ravens RBs - Does the arrival of King Henry signal the end of the perpetual RBBC ? (1 Viewer)

Bet he's 1st and 2nd down guy, with Dixon handling pass-down and 2-minute duties when he comes back.  Unless West spits the bit in the next game, he's earned a legit role going forward.

whats the word on this guys usage this week?? or will he even play this week from any Raven's fans???  
It's early in the week and Harbaugh said he isn't getting into the "who's the starter" name game.  More telling, Harbaugh said if a guy is going out there, doing a good job and being productive, then he will continue to get work.  Dixon should be active this week and will likely be worked in on passing downs.  If the Ravens get a lead then the gamescript could dictate a good number of carries for West.  If they are playing from behind, he'll get less work/more blocking/more Dixon.

It's early in the week and Harbaugh said he isn't getting into the "who's the starter" name game.  More telling, Harbaugh said if a guy is going out there, doing a good job and being productive, then he will continue to get work.  Dixon should be active this week and will likely be worked in on passing downs.  If the Ravens get a lead then the gamescript could dictate a good number of carries for West.  If they are playing from behind, he'll get less work/more blocking/more Dixon.
cool appreciate it

they released him and resigned him recently....seemed like a desperation move at the time and now i see why
The release and resign were done to stash an extra player on IR(or something like that), but obviously, they were not too worried about another team grabbing him.

So we knew Dixon was going to be eased in. We knew that meant limited opportunities. 

But where a few (including myself) were hoping for some solid production, a glimmer of what could be when he's off a pitch count, instead we got 3 atts for -11 yards, and a catch for 6.

West, meanwhile, went 11 for 95 on the ground, a solid game stat- and YPC-wise.

So.

There's some rust Dixon needs to knock off, but my hopes that he gets half a load at least next game, and more if he produces thereafter, deflate a little. 

I'm not dropping him by any means, as he still has a shot to vie for lead back. But does today's effort and usage make you think that they ride with West as long as they can for that kind of production (I would if I was Harbaugh), and that the hype around Dixon's impact, rather than being immediate, is going to take a lot longer (5+ games) to really see play out in this offense?

I do. You?

I honestly feel bad for you guys.  This is a very good team whom are capable of going to the Superbowl.  That's the good part.

The bad news is they are lax on D and might be happy just getting to the playoffs.  

You can't have those latter flaws and expect to win when it counts.

West has had 2 easy def the last 2 weeks.  Just sayin
Time to sell IMO. He's not a part of the pass attack. His coach can't stop passing. Despite all the passing, there's not a lot of points being scored. Between all these RBs, they only have 1 TD. This looks like peak Terrence West. 

I am giving up on Dixon for now. West looks too good at the moment. Dixon might have end-of-season potential but I'm probably gonna need the roster spot for other players.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ravens just lost second game in a row they should have had.  They really could be 5-0. Fans aren't happy,  calling for Trestmans head.  Who knows where this goes moving forward and how it effects the RB situatuon. Meanwhile, I'm still holding Dixon.

Dixon is a hold for now if you can afford the roster spot IMO. 
Aside from the fact that he's still an unknown, why else is he a hold? Do people think the team is going to be committed to spreading the rock if by all intents and purposes, giving it to West to tote seems to be working?

Deciding what to do with Dixon -- trade (for someone like Maclin), hold, or drop for someone with more potential upside? 

Aside from the fact that he's still an unknown, why else is he a hold? Do people think the team is going to be committed to spreading the rock if by all intents and purposes, giving it to West to tote seems to be working?

Deciding what to do with Dixon -- trade (for someone like Maclin), hold, or drop for someone with more potential upside? 
Mainly the unknown honestly. He looked like the starter going into the season before his injury. I have the bench space at the moment to watch it play out though. I just get that feeling that the current regime wants Dixon to be the guy. West has looked good but the competition hasn't been strong. Plus Dixon can bring another dynamic to the back field with his receiving ability.

Ravens just fired trestman
Gives hope to West. Maybe they will run him 15-20 times a game and rest on their defense. I still think he could be a sell depending on how other owners react to the coaching news and how desperate they are at RB. 

Read somewhere that Dixon was wearing a honkin big brace on his knee yesterday. I've seen a couple established RBs do a wk or few with a brace, but has any running back made his bones with a brace on before?

Read somewhere that Dixon was wearing a honkin big brace on his knee yesterday. I've seen a couple established RBs do a wk or few with a brace, but has any running back made his bones with a brace on before?
This is why I'm not overreacting to Dixon yesterday.  He's not healthy yet.  Some of us have been holding for 4 week and will continue to hold until he gets enough playing time to accurately judge him.

West looked good yesterday, but I have to look at his opponent.  Washington and Oakland (his last two weeks) are both in the bottom 3 run D if you look at yards per rush allowed (my preferred stat).  Weeks 1-3 he played Jax, Cle, and Buffalo.  Only Buffalo is in the top 10 rush defense, and they are ranked 7.  Jax and Cle are both in the teens.  Against those teams, he had 119 yards on 33 attempts (3.6ypc) and got double digit carries in every game.

My point is, I think Dixon still has a chance to steal a significant amount of carries when he gets healthy.  A lot of NFL RB's will look good against a bottom of the barrel run defense

ETA:  His next two games are against top 5/6 rush defenses.  If he does well in either, I will likely change my opinion on him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does this not signify a RBBC at best?
Not necessarily.  Stats show West has not done well against normal competition (at least this year).  He HAS done well against bad competition.  If Dixon gets healthy and shows something, I see no reason why he wouldn't become the main RB.

Not necessarily.  Stats show West has not done well against normal competition (at least this year).  He HAS done well against bad competition.  If Dixon gets healthy and shows something, I see no reason why he wouldn't become the main RB.
Good. Because he's on my bench. Thx. 

Does this not signify a RBBC at best?
Baltimore historically has gone with hot hand.  So if Dixon can get healthy and produce, he could be a viable fantasy back.  "At best" would be much more than RBBC. 

The caveat here is recent change in OC.  That adds a wrinkle to the equation.

West has had opportunities over the years to be the starter and has never been able to hold the job.

Neither is a safe play.  Dixon probably has higher ceiling and lower floor of the two.

I've got Dixon in one league, and certainly am not holding for two months, only to cut him when he finally gets healthy.  

I'll let it play out for a while, the combo of the Trestman firing, and Forsett being cut means you really cannot know for sure what';s gonna happen.

I do have a little sneaking suspicion that people are overrating Dixon based on predraft hype, the NFL spoke loud and clear on draft day that they do not think he was the 2nd best back in the draft, they way a lot of people were saying.  

Baltimore historically has gone with hot hand.  So if Dixon can get healthy and produce, he could be a viable fantasy back.  "At best" would be much more than RBBC. 

The caveat here is recent change in OC.  That adds a wrinkle to the equation.

West has had opportunities over the years to be the starter and has never been able to hold the job.

Neither is a safe play.  Dixon probably has higher ceiling and lower floor of the two.
Good point. 

I've got Dixon in one league, and certainly am not holding for two months, only to cut him when he finally gets healthy.  

I'll let it play out for a while, the combo of the Trestman firing, and Forsett being cut means you really cannot know for sure what';s gonna happen.

I do have a little sneaking suspicion that people are overrating Dixon based on predraft hype, the NFL spoke loud and clear on draft day that they do not think he was the 2nd best back in the draft, they way a lot of people were saying.  
You don't have to be the best back in the league to be the best FF back in the league. Has more to do with other factors (see: Jordan Howard). 

In the words of Ricky Bobby's father, "If you ain't first you're last? That ain't true. You can be 2nd, 3rd, 4th. Hell, you can even be 5th!"

You don't have to be the best back in the league to be the best FF back in the league. Has more to do with other factors (see: Jordan Howard). 

In the words of Ricky Bobby's father, "If you ain't first you're last? That ain't true. You can be 2nd, 3rd, 4th. Hell, you can even be 5th!"
You have to be good enough to beat out the guy in front of you.

I am sure a lot of Dixon owners are thinking, like I am, ''well, he only has to beat out West, and he's a 3 down guy on a decent team''

I don't think many people are really considering the idea that West is more talented than Dixon.  It is possible.  And Dixon has a LOT to prove.  The only thing on his pro resume are some draft hype, and a bunch of injuries.  

Not saying I believe any of this.  Cutting Forsett, I see as a vote of confidence.  And I play PPR, so I want the receiving back.  As they say, I'm just sayin'......

Users who are viewing this thread