What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR DeAndre Hopkins, TEN (2 Viewers)

Can't tell you how many times I've heard that statement and worse, never once was offended. Pure attention seekers and nothing more than spoiled rotten brats. Now you can be offended, I'm already not watching the games & running my teams purely off of news feeds & ESPN. This is looking more & more like my last year of FF. I got better things to do than coddle these disrespectful spoiled little millionaires. Fox running the hen house is the same thing, these kids listen to music that is insulting to women, police, other people and they could care less. They are as hippocritical as it gets. Quit and go to work like the rest of us, complain to your boss and see how it works out for you.

I'm putting in zero effort to a boss that considers me their inmate
Then you'll be making zero dollars, besides he immediately apologized when he realized the babies took it literally instead of the figure of speech the way he meant it. They can disrespect the entire Country and Flag, but don't disrespect them. 

Then you'll be making zero dollars, besides he immediately apologized when he realized the babies took it literally instead of the figure of speech the way he meant it. They can disrespect the entire Country and Flag, but don't disrespect them. 
I'll be good. I'll already be looking for a new place to work and interviewing at new firms. 

Theres one thing to just say it, but if my boss views me as his inmate and doesn't value what I do, I'm out bro

That's a matter of opinion, notice you totally over looked and ignored their disrespect. He doesn't view them as inmates, he apologized get over yourselves.
Actually what he did was say he was talking about someone else, not the players.  Which is weird because he was obviously talking about the players.

The whole thing is weird.  I think it's extremely unlikely that it was anything more than him just screwing up the cliche, but what I don't understand is why he's lying in his rebuttal rather than just saying that.

Apparently the other owners in the room were shocked at what he said, so it’s not like just the players found it offensive/inappropriate.  It clearly was 

That's a matter of opinion, notice you totally over looked and ignored their disrespect. He doesn't view them as inmates, he apologized get over yourselves.
What was the disrespect, taking a stand for what they feel theybelieve in? That's going onto another topic cause then we can talk about which employees he referred to as "inmates"

Disrespect is disrespect period, and here we go now with which employees he was talking about I knew that wouldn't take long. So only certain players have the right to be offended by his statement? 

Lots of ways to express your displeasure with or protest, you don't have to be disrespectful. Just as they feel the Houston owner disrespected them they are disrespecting millions in the USA. Do they care? No they want their cake and eat it too. Hope that old analogy doesn't offend anyone.

I think we can see the middle of this without being such jerks about it.  McNair maybe did misspeak and use a common phrase in a context he shouldn't have. I don't know anything about the guy and have never met him. I have no clue what he thinks about the players or black people or whatever. Objectively, I think the players should cut him some slack and it sounds like they mostly have after they got clarification. On the other hand, the players have interacted with him and perhaps their interactions with him haven't made such a great impression which would cause them to take this comment in the worst way possible. I mean, when the issue your employees have is a concern for the the way the legal system treats black people, then calling your players inmates is pretty tone deaf. It's not like the players have been complaining about not having leather seats in the locker room or having to practice on Monday mornings. The phrase cuts right at the exact issue the players have been trying to draw attention to. 

Why is it so hard for people to see both sides of an issue? What is the big rush to be angry or cry about it? 

Ask Hopkins?
I doubt he would respond to me on Twitter. Also, like I said, he has a relationship with McNair so I don't know what their relationship is like. There may have been some incidents in the past that caused Hopkins to take the comments a certain way. Maybe Nuk overreacted. If he overreacted, we shouldn't respond by also overreacting. 

John McClain‏Verified account @McClain_on_NFL 3m3 minutes ago

DeAndre Hopkins left the facility Friday but was present today and will make the trip to Seattle. So will RB D'Onta Foreman.

Ilov80s said:
I think we can see the middle of this without being such jerks about it.  McNair maybe did misspeak and use a common phrase in a context he shouldn't have.
"Inmates running the prison" is not a common phrase. "Inmates running the asylum" is. (For proof, here's Google Trends analysis on the two phrases: https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=all&q="inmates running the asylum","inmates running the prison").

Neither phrase is appropriate to use to describe a valued employee. But the choice of "prison" over "asylum" in expressing this sentiment not only is dismissive and condescending, it's dismissive and condescending in a way that's directly motivated by the racism the players are protesting. 

Streetduck said:
Lots of ways to express your displeasure with or protest, you don't have to be disrespectful. Just as they feel the Houston owner disrespected them they are disrespecting millions in the USA. Do they care? No they want their cake and eat it too. Hope that old analogy doesn't offend anyone.
There are indeed many ways to protest.

The ones that don't bother anyone usually don't have much impact.

The most effective ones tend to be controversial.

This anthem protest is a perfect example.  The issue of police brutality and racial injustice is getting a ton more attention expressly because of the form of the protest

NFL players kneeling for the anthem has brought more attention to the issue in a few months than Black Lives Matter has in several years.

"Inmates running the prison" is not a common phrase. "Inmates running the asylum" is. (For proof, here's Google Trends analysis on the two phrases: https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=all&q="inmates running the asylum","inmates running the prison").

Neither phrase is appropriate to use to describe a valued employee. But the choice of "prison" over "asylum" in expressing this sentiment not only is dismissive and condescending, it's dismissive and condescending in a way that's directly motivated by the racism the players are protesting. 
I agree with you. My gut reaction to the comment was similar to Hopkins. However, it is also possible he just misspoke. I know plenty of people that butcher idioms like that regularly. Perhaps he misspoke, perhaps it had intention behind it. A lot of it comes down to who he is as a person. I don't know him. The people in the Texans organization do so I will trust their judgement on how to react to the situation. 

I don't think there's much of a difference between insinuating the players are criminals (prison) vs insinuating they're crazy (asylum).

Of course the reality is that McNair wasn't trying to insinuate either thing.

He was merely trying to express that the owners should be the ones in control of things, not the players.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think there's much of a difference between insinuating the players are criminals (prison) vs insinuating they're crazy (asylum).
One is an idiom and the other isn't (but it's close enough that it could have been sort of malapropism). It's also different because the players are expressly kneeling because of the treatment of black people by the American justice system- not the American mental health system. 

McNair's comments were in poor taste and he regretting saying it, but players need to quit being so sensitive.  Hell, that whole generation needs to quit being so sensitive.  inmates?  really?  Good lord, get over it already.  Just look at Yu Darvish comment after Gurriel made a racial gesture, he responded like a man.  McNair's comments weren't racial.

McNair's comments were in poor taste and he regretting saying it, but players need to quit being so sensitive.  Hell, that whole generation needs to quit being so sensitive.  inmates?  really?  Good lord, get over it already.  Just look at Yu Darvish comment after Gurriel made a racial gesture, he responded like a man.  McNair's comments weren't racial.
When your generation "gets over" thinking of black people as thugs and criminals, maybe the younger generation will get over their fear of being categorized as thugs and criminals.

I have heard both phrases commonly used, so let's not split hairs here...yes it was inappropriate, and yes has rightfully apologized. 

When your generation "gets over" thinking of black people as thugs and criminals, maybe the younger generation will get over their fear of being categorized as thugs and criminals.
I don't look at black people as you described, I look at individuals in how they treat me and other people, regardless of color.  A lot of the younger generation is frequently playing the victim card and are constantly triggered in some way, needing to run to their safe spaces ;)

Doesn't even have to be racial. It's just really disrespectful towards his employees and might say a lot about what he thinks of them. 

Doesn't even have to be racial. It's just really disrespectful towards his employees and might say a lot about what he thinks of them. 
...and he was remorseful for being insensitive.  Shouldn't that be enough?  Should he be tar'ed and feathered?  Sometimes it's a little over the top to be constantly making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Bronco Billy said:
He didn’t call anyone an inmate.  He used a very time worn idiom and compounded it with a malaprop.

Man, there is a large group of people in this country just waiting to pounce on any opportunity to be offended and display their indignity with great relish.
Sad but true. 

Steeler said:
I'm shocked anyone would be offended by that statement.
I'm not. 

I don't believe this statement has racist intent. It agitates me that everyone jumps to that conclusion.
Fortunately, everyone has not jumped to that conclusion, only those who are looking for a reason to be offended.  

It was a bad decision for McNair to use that expression, but my gosh, you would think people would get that he was using an old cliche (with a slight rewording). 

I don't look at black people as you described, I look at individuals in how they treat me and other people, regardless of color.  A lot of the younger generation is frequently playing the victim card and are constantly triggered in some way, needing to run to their safe spaces ;)
What percentage of urban black kids do you think have personally experienced racial profiling?

...and he was remorseful for being insensitive.  Shouldn't that be enough?  Should he be tar'ed and feathered?  Sometimes it's a little over the top to be constantly making a mountain out of a mole hill.
It sounds like everything is fine. He apologized. The team talked about it. Everyone is planning to report to the game, etc. The only people I saw getting "tar'ed and feathered" are Nuk and this entitled younger generation. 

What percentage of urban black kids do you think have personally experienced racial profiling?
What percentage of hillbilliy kids do you think have personally experienced "they must be dumb", or "have sex with their sister" profiling?

Most of the posts here were anti-Hopkins. I am confused why we are discussing McNair being treated unfairly? 

It sounds like everything is fine. He apologized. The team talked about it. Everyone is planning to report to the game, etc. The only people I saw getting "tar'ed and feathered" are Nuk and this entitled younger generation. 
...again....making a mountain out of a mole hill.  Do we need to scream and yell about everything that is said insensitively? 

...again....making a mountain out of a mole hill.  Do we need to scream and yell about everything that is said insensitively? 
Nuk did not scream and yell. He left practice. Also you don't see the irony in people being overly sensitive about how other people are overly sensitive? The team handled the issue privately- like adults. Someone said something that made some people mad. He apologized. They accepted it and are back to work. The people that are still upset are the people that are upset that someone got a upset. 

What percentage of hillbilliy kids do you think have personally experienced "they must be dumb", or "have sex with their sister" profiling?
I see you didn't answer the question.

The answer is, every single urban black kid in America has experienced racial profiling. Walking down the street, walking into a store, driving a car. Many have been stopped by police on specious pretexts. All of them have friends or family who have been treated roughly by police. Their fears about being profiled as criminals for no reason other than their skin color are real. It's a structural problem in our society. It's not something they "need to get over"; it's something we need to fix.

Nuk did not scream and yell. He left practice. Also you don't see the irony in people being overly sensitive about how other people are overly sensitive? The team handled the issue privately- like adults. Someone said something that made some people mad. He apologized. They accepted it and are back to work. The people that are still upset are the people that are upset that someone got a upset. 
It was a metaphor.

I see you didn't answer the question.

The answer is, every single urban black kid in America has experienced racial profiling. Walking down the street, walking into a store, driving a car. Many have been stopped by police on specious pretexts. All of them have friends or family who have been treated roughly by police. Their fears about being profiled as criminals for no reason other than their skin color are real. It's a structural problem in our society. It's not something they "need to get over"; it's something we need to fix.
I agree with you about racial profiling, that it needs to be fixed.  However, the context of what Hopkins did was making a mountain out of a mole hill.  I don't see the need to protest at every turn.

Users who are viewing this thread