What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR DeAndre Hopkins, TEN (6 Viewers)

I'm not being sarcastic. You don't think any of my posts have good reasoning, that's fine. You never told me how you rank Hopkins among the rest of the recent 1st round WRs. Would you? Also, without being vague, what do you think being 11th all time in passer rating means? All of your posts towards me have contained dishonest use of statistics and hedging. Why? You do have a choice here.

I'm not being sarcastic. You don't think any of my posts have good reasoning, that's fine. You never told me how you rank Hopkins among the rest of the recent 1st round WRs. Would you? Also, without being vague, what do you think being 11th all time in passer rating means? All of your posts towards me have contained dishonest use of statistics and hedging. Why? You do have a choice here.
1) I didn't say none of your posts don't have good reasoning. In fact, it was why I responded in the first place as you brought up a good point in Ryan vs. Schaub. I responded to that saying that I think it's less reliant on Schaub having to elevate his game and more reliant on other factors. It wasn't until your last 2 replies that the snarky comments began. If not for the earlier posts, I wouldn't have even bothered.

2) You edited your post asking for my rankings and I hadn't seen your edited post until I just went back. I'm more than happy to show you my rankings on them:

Julio

AJG

Blackmon

Austin

Hopkins

Patterson

---------------- (all of the above in my top 20, Julio #1 overall)

Floyd

Baldwin

Wright

Jenkins

3) Without being vague, it means that Schaub is a talented QB that is underrated by many. It means he's more than capable of leading a solid passing attack. It means, as a coach, I wouldn't be afraid whatsoever to put the ball in his hands and let him air it out more than he has the last couple years. And combined with his very good yards/attempt it's not a fluke.

4) Where have all of my posts been dishonest? Provide specific examples? Where has there been hedging? I've been quite clear in my belief that Houston will pass more in the next 2 years and that Hopkins will be put up very good numbers as early as year 2 (if not earlier). My initial post, once again, was in response to a post suggesting that Hopkins will not be able to do well in his situation due to playing 2nd fiddle to AJ and Houston's passing situation until 2015 at the earliest. I compared it to Atlanta showing that it's possible for an offense to evolve if a significant part is added. While not Julio, I do think Hopkins is a significant part and I do think they will cater their offense to feature more passing by 2014. If Hopkins is the goods, which I believe he is, both his numbers as well as Houston's passing numbers will reflect this. I don't think you need Matt Ryan as the QB to be able to make those changes. And I don't think Schaub is incapable of making those changes. I also did not compare Hopkin's year N to Julio's year N+1 as you suggested. Especially if you're going to describe my posts as being dishonest somehow, you might want to comment about how you attributed my posts to something that they clearly did not.

Without being vague, in 2014, I predict 580+ passing attempts by Schaub, AJ's targets to decrease to the 150 range and Hopkins to reach the 120 range. Along with this, I predict a decrease in Foster's carries, likely under 300.

Julio

AJG

Blackmon

Austin

Hopkins

Patterson

---------------- (all of the above in my top 20, Julio #1 overall)
Gian, as someone who owns Julio, Blackmon and Hopkins in another league I like your rankings.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000207521/article/deandre-hopkins-stating-case-with-houston-Texans

DeAndre Hopkins stating case with Houston Texans

By Kevin Patra NFL.com

Houston Texans rookie wide receiver DeAndre Hopkins has been battling cornerback Johnathan Joseph during organized team activities.

The schooling from the veteran has helped Hopkins progress throughout the workouts.

"(Progress) is coming along well, but I've still got a lot to improve on," Hopkins said, via John McClain of the Houston Chronicle. "I'm not close to where I want to be, but that's why it's the offseason. Hopefully, I'll be ready by preseason."

McClain said at this point it would be a "surprise" if Hopkins wasn't the starter opposite Andre Johnson by the time they traveled to San Diego for Week 1.

Hopkins was drafted to finally fill the void at No. 2 wide receiver, which the Texans have been sorely missing. Johnson is doing everything he can to make sure the rookie is ready to step into that role.

"I try to help as much as I can with him and all the other young guys," Johnson said. "I guess he gets it a little bit more because he sits next to me in meetings.

"It's just (some) plays that he sometimes gets confused with. Most of the time, he knows what he's doing. But you're going to have questions with the system being new for him. He'll continue to get better and better."

Follow Kevin Patra on Twitter @kpatra.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've really enjoyed this thread and the debate and reasoning, especially from Gian. As a Houston fan I sincerely hope you are right and make logical premises. Although I have fallen from Schaubs bandwagon this year you are right that he is capable of producing the way you say he has. It seemed, IMO, that he had a mental shift the second half of the season and didn't look the same.

I've really enjoyed this thread and the debate and reasoning, especially from Gian. As a Houston fan I sincerely hope you are right and make logical premises. Although I have fallen from Schaubs bandwagon this year you are right that he is capable of producing the way you say he has. It seemed, IMO, that he had a mental shift the second half of the season and didn't look the same.
I hope you are not right. Four absolute stinkers and one big game in the last half...

Kubiak impressed with 1st round pick DeAndre Hopkins

First-round draft pick DeAndre Hopkins left a good first impression with Texans coach Gary Kubiak after working with the first-team offense all spring.

The wide receiver from Clemson caught everything in sight during rookie mini-camp and worked as a starter during OTAs. He gave the Texans one last look at what he has learned during this week’s mini-camp, which concluded Thursday at the Methodist Training Center.

“I’ve been impressed,” Kubiak said. “He struggled early, which we knew he would, but I think it helps when you throw a guy in with the ones right away, because he gets coached by (Matt) Schaub.”

Schaub and many of the Texans’ veteran starters rested during mini-camp so that Kubiak could focus on Hopkins and other young players.

“The last three days, he’s impressed me because he hasn’t had Matt, he hasn’t had Andre (Johnson) out here, and he’s been on top of what he’s doing,” Kubiak said. “He’s obviously very gifted. We’ve just got to make sure we’ve got him doing what he does best.”

Twitter.com/NickScurfield

Rotoworld:

Just 44.7 percent of the Texans' touchdown passes have been caught in the end zone over the past five seasons.
That number was an abysmal 31.8 percent last season, third worst in the NFL. It speaks to the Texans' lack of red-zone threats outside of Andre Johnson, and coach Gary Kubiak's conservativeness. The Texans could be looking to remedy the situation with first-round pick DeAndre Hopkins, who scored 18 touchdowns for Clemson last season. Hopkins is "just" 6-foot-1, 214 pounds, but is a polished route-runner with big (10-inch), strong hands.

Source: ESPN.com

Rotoworld:

Texans WR coach Larry Kirksey told houstontexans.com he's pleased with rookie DeAndre Hopkins' ability to pick up the offense.
"I was happy to see how he grasps the things we ask him to do," Kirksey said after the club's offseason program wrapped up. "He studied what we gave him from the book, and then he went out and his athletic ability took over, and he was able to make plays. He’s just got to continue to do that." The club's first-round pick in April, Hopkins is the favorite to start opposite of Andre Johnson. The Texans do not hesitate to play rookies.

Source: houstontexans.com

Although I have fallen from Schaubs bandwagon this year you are right that he is capable of producing the way you say he has. It seemed, IMO, that he had a mental shift the second half of the season and didn't look the same.
I noticed that Schaub looked very frustrated in the Vikings game.

The Vikings were taking away the bootleg looks and I am not sure what else but they did seem to really frustrate Schaub and he was not getting looks that he wanted, under pressure too much at times.

The offensive line does not seem as good without Eric Winston. I am still a bit puzzled why he has been released by the Texans (march 2012) and now the Chiefs (march 2013) and why no team has yet picked him up?

He might possibly go to the Bears, or the Lions. He was talking to San Diego but that fell through http://sports.gather.com/viewArticle.action?articleId=281474981903144

More on Winston: https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/03/13/eric-winston-hits-the-market/

It is possible that the Vikings were able to bracket coverage Andre somewhat and that is part of what was frustrating Schuab, because he wants to make safe throws. Having another WR to go to could be the answer to that type of situation that I saw him struggling with late last season.

I tend to agree with Gian in regards to the Texans increasing their pass attempts slightly moving forward.

Rotoworld:

After watching DeAndre Hopkins in OTAs and early in training camp, The Sideline View's Lance Zierlein believes 52-60 receptions would be a "very reasonable goal" for the first-round pick.
Zierlein has some background in fantasy football and will be writing a weekly column for Rotoworld this year. He's also long covered the Texans. Hopkins is a bit limited by Houston's run-first offensive philosophy and Owen Daniels' presence, but his upside could come into play if 32-year-old Andre Johnson breaks down. For now, think of Hopkins as a solid WR4 pick in fantasy drafts.

Source: The Sideline View

Rotoworld:

DeAndre Hopkins "just keeps getting better" at Texans camp.
As CSN Houston puts it, Hopkins' best day was Wednesday until he excelled on Thursday. Then Thursday was his best day until Friday. The No. 27 overall pick and clear-cut starting "Z" receiver continues to make big plays on a daily basis. "All the contested stuff is what he's exceptional at, when it's close and it's him and another guy, he makes the play," coach Gary Kubiak said. Hopkins is a WR4 with upside in re-draft and one of the best Dynasty prospects in this rookie class.

Source: CSN Houston

First time seeing this thread, a very good one. Gian in particular is providing lots of food for thought. Why isn’t he writing for one of the big sites? While I don't always agree with the conclusions, I find his analysis always to be top notch. I’d be the first to subscribe if he wrote somewhere regularly.

DeAndre Hopkins (concussion) hasn't been ruled out for Sunday's preseason game, but remains in phase one of the NFL's five-phase concussion protocol.
"Can you make up five stages between now and Sunday? Yes, you can," coach Gary Kubiak said. "But we’ll see. He’s day-to-day." It's highly doubtful Hopkins will be cleared in time for Sunday, while the Texans' starters may not play in the preseason finale. If Hopkins' exhibition season is through, he finishes with six catches for 74 yards. He's a WR3/4 fier.

Updating an earlier item, Texans WR DeAndre Hopkins (concussion) has yet to be medically cleared.

Someone skimmed over a "not" in coach Gary Kubiak's press-conference transcript. Hopkins remains week to week, but is likely to be ready for Houston's Monday night opener. Aug 27 - 3:46 PM
As a sophomore at Clemson, DeAndre Hopkins suffered a concussion in an automobile accident on his way to Memorial Stadium for the Orange Bowl against West Virginia.

The crash happened on December 27, 2011. Police said Hopkins was "knocked unconscious" after hitting a wet patch in the road. "He started out in the front seat and the car spun around and went up a tree and he ended up in the backseat," described Hopkins' mother. Hopkins still played in the bowl game. Now an NFL rookie, Hopkins has been slow to recover from an August 17 concussion. Aug 28 - 7:59 AM

Seems like Hopkins has had 2 serious concussions already. At what point do we become very concerned about his longevity in the league?

Updating an earlier item, Texans WR DeAndre Hopkins (concussion) has yet to be medically cleared.

Someone skimmed over a "not" in coach Gary Kubiak's press-conference transcript. Hopkins remains week to week, but is likely to be ready for Houston's Monday night opener. Aug 27 - 3:46 PM
As a sophomore at Clemson, DeAndre Hopkins suffered a concussion in an automobile accident on his way to Memorial Stadium for the Orange Bowl against West Virginia.

The crash happened on December 27, 2011. Police said Hopkins was "knocked unconscious" after hitting a wet patch in the road. "He started out in the front seat and the car spun around and went up a tree and he ended up in the backseat," described Hopkins' mother. Hopkins still played in the bowl game. Now an NFL rookie, Hopkins has been slow to recover from an August 17 concussion. Aug 28 - 7:59 AM

Seems like Hopkins has had 2 serious concussions already. At what point do we become very concerned about his longevity in the league?
I had no idea about the car accident. That seems fairly significant and serious. As a result, I am becoming fairly concerned.

IMHO, it seems to be a fairly serious indictment on Hopkins' likelihood for longevity and susceptibility to future concussions if he is taking this long to recover from the hit he took against Miami, and he has this type of an accident in his background.

Bump - Any updates on his concussion status?
Very weird situation that he hasn't been cleared yet. Wish I would have known this before taking him in my rookie draft.

Very concerning that he still hasn't been cleared WEEKS after it happened.

Very weird situation that he hasn't been cleared yet. Wish I would have known this before taking him in my rookie draft.

That's weird. Greg Russell reported that he was cleared. I guess someone got some bad info.
Link? All I've heard is that they were hoping he was cleared by Monday (Past, obviously, but no update)

That's weird. Greg Russell reported that he was cleared. I guess someone got some bad info.
Link? All I've heard is that they were hoping he was cleared by Monday (Past, obviously, but no update)
http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=686510&p=15863945

Greg Russell said:
Greg Russell said:
MoveToSkypager said:
Greg Russell said:
Hopkins is still in stage 1 of the concussion protocol which has 5 stages. Didn't play.

I would say Hopkins being out helps AJ's targets. Might hurt his ypr but that's harder to say until we see how defenses adjust to Hopkins presence.
Still in stage 1? That's the first stage, correct? I wonder if it is an unordinarily long time to leave this stage.
When I was looking for info on the concussion protocol, I came across this quote from a highly regarded doctor in the field: "If you've seen one concussion, you’ve seen one concussion.” In other words, concussions are all different.

I don't think it's unusually long. There are guys who go weeks and months before recovering. If I remember right, they can do physical activity, limited to 70% of normal exercise heart rate, but can't practice. I also seem to recall someone (Kubiak probably) who said it's the longest stage and that someone can progress through the latter ones very quickly.
As evidenced by Hopkins having gone from stage 1 to now being completely cleared to play in 2 days.
He never sourced it, but he's a staffer. So :shrug:

There was an inaccurate report last week that he had been cleared, it was later retracted. I am not sure if that was the basis for Greg's statement, I have not seen any confirmed reports of him being cleared.

I do think that there are a number of exercises at increasing heart-rate levels that have to be completed to get out of each stage.. My guess is that if you can pass the first one, the second and third might not be that difficult

I'm sure it will make news as soon as he's cleared to practice. Last report I saw said he was in stage 4 of the 5. Still it's been over 2 weeks since that August 17th concussion. Seriously concerned about his dynasty prospects right now.

Definitely concern for keeper /dynasty. Major red flag. Once he's cleared then I wouldn't worry much about it for redraft, would be more concerned over missed practice time already regarding this season.

There was an inaccurate report last week that he had been cleared, it was later retracted. I am not sure if that was the basis for Greg's statement, I have not seen any confirmed reports of him being cleared.
Yes, Tania Ganguli, who was a Houston Chronicle beat writer and is now the ESPN columnist handling the Texans, had tweeted that he was fully cleared. I missed the retraction apparently.

Most I can find right now is that during the final preseason game last Thursday, Kubiak said he believed if they were in Houston that night where he could have seen the doctors, that they'd probably have cleared him. If he's not cleared today I'll be concerned.

Fabulous follow-up with info guys. :thumbup:

I had to drop one of my plethora of WR3/WR4 level guys (Hopkins/Thompkins/Sanders/Britt/Blackmon/V. Brown) to pick up a kicker. Unfortunately Hopkins was the victim.

By the way, I think the return of DeVier Posey is going to be an additional upgrade for the Texans receiving corps. I'm just not a big fan of Keshawn Martin. I don't trust him to make the catch, particularly with any kind of pressure on him from the defense. If I were the QB I'd feel much better going to Posey on 3rd down than I would Martin. Posey may take awhile to get back to full confidence in his knee though.

No - they have said that he is behind since he was out from the concussion - he may not even start.

I am taking a wait and see approach on him.

He's gonna be good. Getting some looks. Had a red zone target. Seems to be out there the whole game.

Game 1- 5 catches 66 yards.

More importantly the Texans do seem to be throwing the ball more.

75 total plays. 45 pass attempts. 28 rushing attempts. 2 sacks.

He's still behind Owen Daniels/Graham in looks, but I think he will eat into that more as the games go by. His hands are just too good.

Wow, glad I picked him up in my dynasty. Made plays like that all last year in college. Scored 18 Touchdowns.

Haha, a play like that will gain Schaub's trust. Taj Boyd may be a decent NFL prospect as well.

PS: The Vikings need

NFL player posts a video of his penis on his Instagram account but says he was hacked

A professional football player has become the latest person to reveal far too much on social media after a video of his penis was uploaded to his Instagram.

DeAndre Hopkins, a 21-year-old wide receiver for the Houston Texans, claims that his account was hacked and that is how the explicit video ended up being sent to his followers.

His girlfriend posted on his verified Twitter account explaining the situation on Wednesday morning.

'Instagram was hacked, this is his girlfriend he's in meetings with no phone, have some respect ppl,' the post read.

A screengrab of the video was taken by Deadspin.

Black Sports Online reports that the video showed Hopkins masturbating, but it has since been deleted in its entirety and the still is all that remains.

He posted an inspirational quote on his Twitter account hours later: 'No weapon formed against me shall prosper.'

FULL ARTICLE (w/ SFW pics)

Onto football side of things, Nuke looks like an awesome play this week vs Oak's weak secondary at home to boot. Anyone rolling him out there?

Users who are viewing this thread