What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR DeAndre Hopkins, TEN (3 Viewers)

Hopkins wanted a contract Houston couldn't provide. They needed to resign Watson. which we know will be massive. 

They definitely didnt get what he's worth, but Houston had barely any cards to play here. Hopkins wasnt going to sit out, but it's trade him for what you can or don't get more than a comp pick for him. 

That said, they got hosed... Lane Taylor and a 1st, if what I heard was an actual offer, would have been a way better deal... 
He had 3 years left on his deal. The Texans had the leverage. If Hopkins sits out, he doesn’t get paid. O’Brien traded him because he doesn’t get along with people and doesn’t know how to co-exist with people he doesn’t get along with. See Jadaveon Clowney.

It’s a shame for Texans fans that Bob McNair got old and passed away. It’s clear that there is no leadership from the ownership position now and O’Brien is taking advantage of that. There is zero chance even a halfway competent owner would have allowed things to get to this point. After last year’s display of incompetence by O’Brien he would have been fired by any owner with any semblance of football knowledge.

The world is rife with incompetent people who are somehow placed into situations and get paid lots of money to make decisions like these. Must be nice to be in that position.
That this is the case is heartbreaking, really. At all levels, across all professions.

This is just a terrible trade unless there was a demand made by Hopkins or something we don't know about.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hopkins may somehow see more targets imo.

Less yards, less TDs.
Less than 7 tds? Air Arizona could open up things for Hopkins. The signed their tackle, maybe now draft another. Could be recipe for huge floor. Ceiling may not be Hopkins historic level but that seemed long gone last year anyway. Hopkins needed Fuller to take the pressure off. Now he has Kirk, another 2 pass catching backs and a bunch of interesting young WRs around him. Maybe he’ll never catch 15 tds and lead the league in catches but this isn’t Tenn or Jax. He’s got a young qb that might actually be better than his old one. i traded for him late last year and I’m excited. BO’ didn’t give me much confidence 

Less than 7 tds? Air Arizona could open up things for Hopkins. The signed their tackle, maybe now draft another. Could be recipe for huge floor. Ceiling may not be Hopkins historic level but that seemed long gone last year anyway. Hopkins needed Fuller to take the pressure off. Now he has Kirk, another 2 pass catching backs and a bunch of interesting young WRs around him. Maybe he’ll never catch 15 tds and lead the league in catches but this isn’t Tenn or Jax. He’s got a young qb that might actually be better than his old one. i traded for him late last year and I’m excited. BO’ didn’t give me much confidence 
I am lower than some, maybe most, on Murray.

eta - I could see something in area of 110 catches 1000-1100 yards 5-8 TDs.

not awful, not as good as we would hope.

You really think 5-8 tds? He’s able to climb the ladder, able to tip toe around the bounds. He’s a stud who walks onto a team that needs a redbone target. You must think Murray is impressively overrated. 

You really think 5-8 tds? He’s able to climb the ladder, able to tip toe around the bounds. He’s a stud who walks onto a team that needs a redbone target. You must think Murray is impressively overrated. 
I mean he has caught fewer than 8 more than he has gone over 8.

He is leaving a team where he was the redbone (hehe) target.

Is Murray a sure thing, hands down better QB than Watson?  The system might be.  But he is leaving a system where he already caught 100+ passes on the reg.

ESPN's Dianna Russini reports DeAndre Hopkins' reps told the Texans weeks prior to the trade that he wanted a new deal paying him somewhere between $18-$20 million per year.

Russini added, "The team was told Hopkins wouldn't show, if he didn't get the deal. Houston moved forward with trade." Friction reportedly existed between Hopkins and Texans coach Bill O'Brien prior to the trade. It turns out the source of those problems was likely money. The deal will pay Hopkins (rightfully) as one of the league's top WRs, something the Cardinals have plenty of room to handle while Kyler Murray remains on a rookie contract. Hopkins is owed $39.9 million over the next three years — a relative bargain at his $13.1 million AVV.

SOURCE: Dianna Russini on Twitter

Mar 18, 2020, 11:07 AM ET
Pay that man his money.

I agree but so far we haven't heard it from Hopkins, we heard it from Michael Irvin. Something MAY have been lost in translation 
And there you have it:

DeAndre Hopkins took to social media Wednesday to deny Michael Irvin's comments that a fractured relationship with Houston Texans coach Bill O'Brien led to his trade to the Arizona Cardinals on Monday.

The Pro Bowl wide receiver said it was "being blown out of proportion."

Deandre Hopkins✔@DeAndreHopkins

This is being blown way out of proportion. As I’ve said before, I enjoyed and am proud of my time with the Texans. I have the utmost respect for Coach O’Brien and that will not change.  Now, I’m ready to play for the Cardinals.

Cardinals owner Michael Bidwill says GM Steve Keim has had "discussions" with trade acquisition DeAndre Hopkins about a new contract. 

On the one hand, the Cardinals want to keep Hopkins happy. On the other, they have him at a bargain price for each of the next three years. This will be a tricky negotiation. Hopkins reportedly wants $18-$20 million per season on a new deal. His highest salary the next three years is $13.9 million. A holdout could be in order, though Hopkins has said nothing of the sort. 

SOURCE: Kent Somers on Twitter 

Mar 31, 2020, 3:27 PM ET

Texans coach Bill O'Brien said that WR DeAndre Hopkins wanted a raise and the Texans didn't want to do it.

O'Brien added that they felt Arizona was the best deal and said it was in the best interest of the team. Sheesh. Nuk was reportedly asking for a new deal that would pay him in the range of $18-20 million per year. It's unclear why the Texans felt the need to move Hopkins so quickly, as Deshaun Watson's inevitably-massive contract will likely be controlling the team's cap space as soon as 2021. It seems (incredibly) unlikely that O'Brien gets anything close to resembling Hopkins' production out of David Johnson.

SOURCE: Patrick on Twitter

Apr 3, 2020, 4:21 PM ET

Texans coach Bill O'Brien said that WR DeAndre Hopkins wanted a raise and the Texans didn't want to do it.

O'Brien added that they felt Arizona was the best deal and said it was in the best interest of the team. Sheesh. Nuk was reportedly asking for a new deal that would pay him in the range of $18-20 million per year. It's unclear why the Texans felt the need to move Hopkins so quickly, as Deshaun Watson's inevitably-massive contract will likely be controlling the team's cap space as soon as 2021. It seems (incredibly) unlikely that O'Brien gets anything close to resembling Hopkins' production out of David Johnson.

SOURCE: Patrick on Twitter

Apr 3, 2020, 4:21 PM ET
So instead they are paying $19 million this year to David Johnson + Randall Cobb.  Granted with fewer long term implications but still, yeesh.

So this is one of those so crazy theres no way its true. Seriously BOB at least give a number that's realistic. We can smell the desperation to justify getting ripped off all the way up here in the midwest

Normally, we would be saying they better win now in the next 2 years otherwise it's a waste of a trade, but they gave up no one and got salary cap relief. 
Who's "they gave up no one and got salary cap relief?" The Cardinals, right? 

right. My understanding is Houston is paying all of DJs salary
I think you're right. Ooo ooo ooof. So giving up Johnson has moved into the realm of "no one," though. Got it. I won't quibble. Unless he finds the fountain of youth quickly and doesn't look like there's a piano on his back, you're right on that, too. 

He could certainly turn things around, but when you look at his history he hasn't had that great of a career. He is propped up by 1/2 a season in 2015 and a full season in 2016. That's 4 years ago. Granted, he got hurt , but 2018 he played all 16 games and 2019 lost playing time to guys who appeared to be far less talented at the start of 2019. He is turning 29 this December. I don't think there are many people counting on 2016 production at this point... 
I agree. People are hoping for volume. If that infamous Twitter-posted run from earlier this year is any indication of a healthy Johnson, then he's washed. If he was hurt, okay. But there was that run somebody posted in their feed where he looked like a guy off of the street. 2016 is a long way away for a RB. 

I think you're right. Ooo ooo ooof. So giving up Johnson has moved into the realm of "no one," though. Got it. I won't quibble. Unless he finds the fountain of youth quickly and doesn't look like there's a piano on his back, you're right on that, too. 
I think it was pretty unanimous before the trade that DJ was a negative asset and the only way to move him would be to give something up, Brock Osweiler style.

When we all heard that DJ had been traded and that Houston was taking on his salary pretty much everyone assumed Arizona had given something up to make that happen.  In fact if you take Hopkins out of the deal entirely and Zona was giving up a 2nd to move DJ and his salary away that was a deal most people thought was reasonable.  DeAndre Hopkins was essentially thrown in for free  :shock:

I think it was pretty unanimous before the trade that DJ was a negative asset and the only way to move him would be to give something up, Brock Osweiler style.

When we all heard that DJ had been traded and that Houston was taking on his salary pretty much everyone assumed Arizona had given something up to make that happen.  In fact if you take Hopkins out of the deal entirely and Zona was giving up a 2nd to move DJ and his salary away that was a deal most people thought was reasonable.  DeAndre Hopkins was essentially thrown in for free  :shock:
You're right. Thanks for clarifying. Hopkins was given away. The pronoun was just confusing for a minute.

BOB is delusional, but what is worse is Texans’ ownership thinks it was a good idea for the future of the team to ship out Hopkins. It’s truly unbelievable. 

As a Murray owner, I’m thrilled he’s got such a sure handed security blanket and I would say expect a slight drop in catches, fewer yards, but a higher volume of TDs. As a Texans fan, this move sets back the franchise further than they realize. 

(fantasypros) WR DeAndre Hopkins has not yet passed his physical, per multiple sources, and thus the trade to Arizona for RB David Johnson has not yet been finalized.

Analysis: Neither Hopkins nor Johnson have passed their physical yet, and with the proposed trade including 2020 draft picks, time is running out for the trade to be finalized. The NFL Draft is set to begin on April 23, so both players will have to pass their physicals in the next 18 days in order for the trade to go through. The trade was announced a few weeks ago now, and since that time, the Texans have been bashed for giving up a top-5 WR in Hopkins in exchange for a RB whose career seems to be on the downswing. Nothing suggests that either team is interested in backing off the initial deal, but it's becoming a time-sensitive matter since draft picks are also included in the trade.

As a Texans fan, please god let DJ fail his physical and void this abysmal trade. Although I know it's not going to happen.

Speaking Tuesday, Cardinals coach Kliff Kingsbury confirmed the team's acquisition of DeAndre Hopkins is not yet official because he's yet to pass a physical. 

"Those (moves) aren't official as far as I know at this point, but we'll get it done," Kingsbury insisted. "There is obviously the medical (part) and medical personnel have much bigger fish to fry at this point, so it's been slower than it would be, but I have no doubts it will be done before the draft." The sides have 16 days to get it done. Only something major and unforeseen could derail the deal at this point. The concern is obviously more on David Johnson's end that Nuk's. 

RELATED: 

Houston Texans

SOURCE: Profootballtalk on NBCSports.com 

Apr 7, 2020, 2:07 PM ET

NFL Network's James Palmer reports DeAndre Hopkins has passed his physical.

It's the first step in completing last month's blockbuster trade. There was never any concern that Hopkins wouldn't pass his physical. David Johnson still needs to be medically cleared before the deal becomes official.

SOURCE: James Palmer on Twitter

Apr 13, 2020, 3:10 PM ET

Speaking Thursday, DeAndre Hopkins said he expects to post better numbers in Arizona. 

"So myself, being a receiver, of course I see my stats going up," Hopkins said of Kliff Kingsbury's pass-friendly attack. "But I definitely see myself having one of my more productive seasons." Hopkins slumped to three-year lows across the board last season as the Texans seemed oddly stagnant on offense. Hopkins fills a massive need as a bonafide No. 1 receiver for Kingsbury and Kyler Murray. The Cardinals want to run four-wide attacks and get the ball down field. Personnel made it difficult to do in 2019. Hopkins changes the game for 2020. He's a safe top-five option at wide receiver, with the upside for a No. 1 overall finish. 

SOURCE: Josh Weinfuss on Twitter 

May 28, 2020, 4:51 PM ET

It was a horrible trade for Texas, but It is worth noting that Hopkins is #8 on the active list for career receiving yards,#5 if you don't count Whitten, Demaryius or AB (Fitz, Julio,  Deshaun and AJG). Although he's fairly young (27), that's a lot of punishment to take and a lot of miles to have covered. I would say the 5 guys ahead of him are in various states of decay, although Julio says 'Hi' as the #2, #1 and #2 receiving yards leader over the last 3 years between ages 27 and 31. I can see how paying a guy $18-20 Mil per for 3-4 years going forward with that history under their belt would give a GM pause. DeAndre will have to be an absolute standout like only Julio and Fitz from that list to be worth top dollar for 3-4 more years. I can see why, if you dislike the guy as well, you would look to trade him (although certainly not for what DJ showed last year and a 2nd round pick).

Alright well I took him at 2.06 in an FFPC Superflex startup after taking Murray at 1.07. Here's to a productive pairing for years to come. 

I've never had him in dynasty anywhere.

Users who are viewing this thread