What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is Michael Floyd underrated? (2 Viewers)

Tool said:
I bet Belichek told Floyd if he could get released the Pats would claim him. So Floyd went out and got a DUI which led to his release.  Same thing happened two years ago with Blount.
If you're serious, your user name is appropriate.

I doubt he sees the field.  

This was a compensatory pick move, nothing more.  Pats will pray he gets a big deal, and maybe they get a free 4th or 5th rounder.  
Interesting.  Never thought of that viewpoint.  I just figured he was an insurance move for this season with their WR depth being not the greatest.

Interesting.  Never thought of that viewpoint.  I just figured he was an insurance move for this season with their WR depth being not the greatest.
They have plenty of cap room next year. So they can afford the mill he costs this year.

If he happens to help them this year,  great. Seems unlikely, between what Pats WRs need to do before Brady trusts them, and Floyd's complete lack of production over the course of his career.  

Somehow people seem to be forgetting that Floyd has not been a good WR for most of his career. 

Anyway, the Pats retain his rights after this year, that's true, till March. 

But if he signs a 3 to 4 mill deal/year elsewhere, which sounds about right, the Pats can sign the same price FA and it will not enter the comp formula. 

Very good chance the Pats just paid 1 mill for a 5th or 6th round pick.  Good deal.

Mike Reiss ESPN Staff Writer 

While Patriots WR Michael Floyd made the trip to Denver, he will not be active for Sunday's game against the Broncos, sources tell ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter. The Patriots will still pay Floyd $430,588 for the game.
That's one hell of an expensive benchwarmer 

Last edited by a moderator:
John Gambadoro 

@Gambo987

Report shows Michael Floyd with a .217 blood alcohol concentration which is an super extreme DUI - automatic months of jail time

11:49 AM - 21 Dec 2016
From what I read, it requires a mandatory 45 days of jail time. Most likely he will address this in the off season. I believe the NFL policy instituted in 2014 calls for a one game suspension for first time DUI's. I am not sure if they count the one he had in college or not, but I think this is the first one he had as an NFL player.

Larry Fitzgerald told us everything we needed to know about Floyd in 2012 when he called Floyd out as "Don't Want It". 
I wasn't familiar with that quote so I googled what it was about. Basically Floyd missed the first day or 2 of Fitz's workout that he put on each year with other WRs during Floyd's rookie season. When Floyd did show up on the 2nd/3rd day Fitz raved about him.

I'm not sure that one comment should define Floyd for the rest of his career anymore than Fitz's positive remarks the next day. The mutual admiration shown to each other over the next 4 years is more telling to me.

Floyd has a drinking problem apparently. Many people in their early 20s do. Hopefully he gets help before he does something that will drastically change his & others lives.

I wasn't familiar with that quote so I googled what it was about. Basically Floyd missed the first day or 2 of Fitz's workout that he put on each year with other WRs during Floyd's rookie season. When Floyd did show up on the 2nd/3rd day Fitz raved about him.

I'm not sure that one comment should define Floyd for the rest of his career anymore than Fitz's positive remarks the next day. The mutual admiration shown to each other over the next 4 years is more telling to me.

Floyd has a drinking problem apparently. Many people in their early 20s do. Hopefully he gets help before he does something that will drastically change his & others lives.
Actually his inability to meet expectations, despite the athletic talent, draft pedigree, and opportunity, that is the most telling.

The majority of the NFL doesn't trust Fitz's opinion (good or bad) on Floyd given he made it all the way to the Patriots before being claimed. 

Agreed that Floyd likely has a drinking problem.  Hopefully he gets the help he needs.

Actually his inability to meet expectations, despite the athletic talent, draft pedigree, and opportunity, that is the most telling.

The majority of the NFL doesn't trust Fitz's opinion (good or bad) on Floyd given he made it all the way to the Patriots before being claimed. 

Agreed that Floyd likely has a drinking problem.  Hopefully he gets the help he needs.
Why would other teams even bother? The majority of teams already know they are not going to make the playoffs, so why take on the salary and the bad publicity? Most playoff teams already have a nice WR corps, so it's not worth the money and bad PR and time to try to teach a guy the playbook in 3 weeks. As for meeting expectations, I lined it out earlier in the thread, but if you take situation into account, he's performed pretty well except for this year. Quick summary, year 1 - typical light usage rookie season, year 2 - nice breakout, year 3 - s*** show at QB, year 4 - slowed by two injuries (dislocated fingers then hamstring) but five 100 yard games. People act like he's had five years like Allen Robinson's 2016, but he's never received the kind of volume Robinson has. In fact, his 2015 was similar to Robinson's 2016, but on 50 less targets. And Floyd's 2015 per target efficiency was similar to Robinson's breakout 2015. If you extrapolate his 89 targets to 151, you'd get 88/1440/10.

The guy hasn't actually played poorly until this year. If he gets his head on straight and lands in a situation where he can get some quality targets and decent volume, he could be an NFL WR1. If he reverts back to "don't want it" and/or lands in another low volume situation, he'll be lucky to be a fantasy WR3. Personally, I don't think the Pats are a good fit for him next year. He's a big body vertical threat. They haven't been able to successfully employ that type of player since 2009, despite attempts with legitimate talents in Chad Johnson and Brandon Lloyd.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Places I think he'd have a shot at success:

Bal - Not a perfect fit since Wallace and Perriman are similar players, but if Perriman fails to develop and Smiff retires, there are targets and Flacco still has a cannon. 

Was - would seamlessly replace DeSean Jackson as the deep threat in that offense, even if Doctson decides to show up and steal some targets (not a given). And Garcon is just not good.

TB - would have to play second fiddle to Evans, but that's fine. Plenty of targets to go around. They need a VJax replacement.

Car - he'd be like a better combo of Ted Ginn/Funchess, but they need to work on that OL first and foremost.

SF - if Chip finds a QB and they release Torrey, they'll need an X receiver with deep speed and that player has typically done well in the Chip Kelly offense. But first they gotta find a QB. Glennon would be my top pick for Floyd's skill set but Tyrod Taylor, if released, would probably be a better Chip Kelly system QB, though.

Pit - Coates sucks, so if Bryant slips up again, they'll need a deep threat. If Bryant comes back, it's obviously a no go.

Less appealing, but decent spots:

Phi - would not be excited about this place, but he'd be an upgrade over Agholor who seems to be on his way out.

Dal - they'll take chances on guys and he'd be an upgrade over Terrance Williams who is a FA.

Chi - they'll probably need to replace Jeffery. They should probably bring back Hoyer, but he's not a good deep ball passer, so this is not a great fit. Plus, Kevin White is looming, but if he doesn't take the next step or find a way to stay healthy, there will be targets here.

Buf - really depends on the new regime, new QB, and Watkins health.

I'm always interested in players that get mulligans from fans time after time.  This guy is the Sam Bradford of WRs.  
I'm not advocating spending 15% of your budget on him or drafting him in the 3rd round of a startup, but the dude has performed pretty well if you take situation into account. His 2016 performance was garbage, though. He should be really cheap to acquire in dynasty right now and will be really cheap to draft, but the upside is there. Low risk, high reward. Nothing more. He's probably got less than a 50% chance of being a top 24 fantasy WR next year, but you can probably get him for a 3rd rounder which would net you a player who has less than a 5% chance of being a top 24 WR.

I'm not advocating spending 15% of your budget on him or drafting him in the 3rd round of a startup, but the dude has performed pretty well if you take situation into account. His 2016 performance was garbage, though. He should be really cheap to acquire in dynasty right now and will be really cheap to draft, but the upside is there. Low risk, high reward. Nothing more. He's probably got less than a 50% chance of being a top 24 fantasy WR next year, but you can probably get him for a 3rd rounder which would net you a player who has less than a 5% chance of being a top 24 WR.
I agree with this.  

And that's why non Pat's fans hate the Patriots and Brady.  Just like how the Cardinal's have the most obnoxious fans in baseball.
When Sammy Sosa and Mark McGuire were in that steroid induced home run chase, it was the absolutely story of baseball that year. It was insane. Network news covered it every night down the stretch. I remember going to Cubs games that year, late in the season when the race was tight. Sosa came to the plate in St. Louis and the St. Louis fans gave him a Standing O. The Cubs are the Cards arch rival. Would Yankee Fans give a standing O to a Red Sox? Would LA do that for a Giant? That only happens in St. Louis. Hate all you want, but it's different here. You can try to say that it's not that this is all just conjecture, but you would be wrong. 

When Sammy Sosa and Mark McGuire were in that steroid induced home run chase, it was the absolutely story of baseball that year. It was insane. Network news covered it every night down the stretch. I remember going to Cubs games that year, late in the season when the race was tight. Sosa came to the plate in St. Louis and the St. Louis fans gave him a Standing O. The Cubs are the Cards arch rival. Would Yankee Fans give a standing O to a Red Sox? Would LA do that for a Giant? That only happens in St. Louis. Hate all you want, but it's different here. You can try to say that it's not that this is all just conjecture, but you would be wrong. 
Dear Lord.  Not a Cardinal's fan.  I love how the Card's fans called Heyward a traitor for going to the Cubs when he only played in STL for one year and didn't even choose to be there because he was traded.  Then they kept saying he sold out to take all that money even though the Cards offered him more.

The Cardinals do not have the best fans in baseball.  I'm not sure which team does but it's not the Cardinals.  Probably not a good place to have this debate though.

https://www.boston.com/sports/boston-red-sox/2016/09/29/david-ortiz-given-standing-ovation-in-yankee-stadium-finale

Dear Lord.  Not a Cardinal's fan.  I love how the Card's fans called Heyward a traitor for going to the Cubs when he only played in STL for one year and didn't even choose to be there because he was traded.  Then they kept saying he sold out to take all that money even though the Cards offered him more.

The Cardinals do not have the best fans in baseball.  I'm not sure which team does but it's not the Cardinals.  Probably not a good place to have this debate though.
Called him a traitor? I heard none of that. I'm guessing Dexter Fowler got some of that though....

None of that was because they would no longer have to face him? If Ortiz and A-Rod were in a home run race like Sosa and McGuire, do you think either city would give a standing O to the opposing player?
Not A-rod but Ortiz and someone else, under the same circumstances, yeah i think probably, but who the hell knows.

Called him a traitor? I heard none of that. I'm guessing Dexter Fowler got some of that though....
LOL  If you spend any time on Twitter you'd see a ton on terrible tweets about Heyward.  Called him a traitor and used several other derogatory comments.  I probably shouldn't call out the entire fan base because of those tweets because every team has moron fans like that but it was pretty ridiculous.  

As for Fowler, I haven't seen any hostility towards him.  All the comments I've seen have wished him luck even though they wished he wasn't going there.  It makes a huge difference that he helped win the Cubs a championship, it may be different if they didn't win. 

This is my last post on this.  Sorry to derail.

I may be in the minority, but I think Floyd comes back to NE on a really low cost, incentive-laden one year deal (with an option year). That way, if he works out, great. If he does really well, he will probably move on (but the Pats would qualify for a compensatory pick). In many ways, he seems like the prototypical BB reclamation project.

I may be in the minority, but I think Floyd comes back to NE on a really low cost, incentive-laden one year deal (with an option year). That way, if he works out, great. If he does really well, he will probably move on (but the Pats would qualify for a compensatory pick). In many ways, he seems like the prototypical BB reclamation project.
I am not that familiar with BB's reclamation projects. How many had similar substance abuse issues and related legal problems?

I am not that familiar with BB's reclamation projects. How many had similar substance abuse issues and related legal problems?
Well, they already signed him. So that's 90% of the battle. And he drafted Aaron Hernandez knowing his sordid past. Can't get much more to try to work around. his picked up guys with various issues (bad seed, bad attitude, probably some substance stuff in there as well). Dillion, Moss, bringing back Donte Stallworth after he killed someone. So I would say there is a bit of a track record there.

I would not be shocked if Floyd stuck around for the league minimum with bonuses / incentives just to get a fresh start.

Well, they already signed him. So that's 90% of the battle. And he drafted Aaron Hernandez knowing his sordid past. Can't get much more to try to work around. his picked up guys with various issues (bad seed, bad attitude, probably some substance stuff in there as well). Dillion, Moss, bringing back Donte Stallworth after he killed someone. So I would say there is a bit of a track record there.

I would not be shocked if Floyd stuck around for the league minimum with bonuses / incentives just to get a fresh start.
Those seem distinguishable to me. Dillion was labeled a malcontent but the Bengals wouldn't pay him what he was worth and was a happy camper once he got to NE and the contract he felt he deserved. Moss was a diva (with rumored drug issues) who normally wouldn't fit on a BB team, but was able to be a "team player" (at least for a little while) in order to hopefully get a SB ring. Stallworth was driving drunk but the circumstances of the fatality (if you read the details) were such that the pedestrian might have been hit even if Stallworth were sober (that doesn't excuse the drunk driving and he still should have been punished for it).

I dunno, Floyd just doesn't seem the like the others to me. :shrug:  However as a disclaimer, I own Malcolm Mitchell in several dynasty leagues, so I may view Floyd through a more critical prism that others.

Those seem distinguishable to me. Dillion was labeled a malcontent but the Bengals wouldn't pay him what he was worth and was a happy camper once he got to NE and the contract he felt he deserved. Moss was a diva (with rumored drug issues) who normally wouldn't fit on a BB team, but was able to be a "team player" (at least for a little while) in order to hopefully get a SB ring. Stallworth was driving drunk but the circumstances of the fatality (if you read the details) were such that the pedestrian might have been hit even if Stallworth were sober (that doesn't excuse the drunk driving and he still should have been punished for it).

I dunno, Floyd just doesn't seem the like the others to me. :shrug:  However as a disclaimer, I own Malcolm Mitchell in several dynasty leagues, so I may view Floyd through a more critical prism that others.
Well, NE did sign him within 48 hours or so of his release and just after the incident, so I am guessing that they would consider signing him again.

ESPN's Mike Reiss believes the Patriots could be interested in bringing back free agent Michael Floyd, but only at the right price.
Reiss believes the Patriots value Floyd's "physical presence," though his questionable chemistry with Tom Brady raised red flags. Floyd didn't grasp New England's offense as quickly as the team hoped, which led to him being a healthy scratch for the last two playoff games. It probably won't cost much to keep Floyd, which could work to the Patriots' advantage. But if Floyd's price rises, it's doubtful New England would get in a bidding war. Floyd is currently serving a 120-day jail sentence following his second DUI.

Source: ESPN.com
Feb 26 - 8:52 AM

Will there be a market for him when he gets out of jail? As a big Floyd supporter last year I still think he has some tools, but I was obviously very wrong. I imagine he will have a game or two to sit out as well. Could make sense for a team like Detroit or TB, or several teams that just need NFL quality WRs like sf or chi. 

Would he even be signed right now if he wasnt going to jail? Some would say no, he may have to wait a while for obvious reasons but I think he would have been waiting anyways.

Will there be a market for him when he gets out of jail? As a big Floyd supporter last year I still think he has some tools, but I was obviously very wrong. I imagine he will have a game or two to sit out as well. Could make sense for a team like Detroit or TB, or several teams that just need NFL quality WRs like sf or chi. 
I agree with WheelsUp that after last year's disappointing season he may not even be signed yet if he had a clean record. I don't think any of those teams would be very good for him as he'd be a 3rd WR for Det or TB. SF would make sense as I think he's better than Garcon, but will they find a QB? The only other places that even look slightly appealing would be Carolina (although they just signed two under the radar guys, Charles Johnson and Russell Shepard), Tennessee, and Buffalo. I think he'd at least be competing to be the WR2 on those teams.

I thought he had turned the corner in 2015 (or recaptured his 2nd year). He dealt with two injuries that year, but when he was healthy he was crushing it. Looked like the best WR on the roster. Then last year he looked like the worst. He had a chance for redemption but couldn't get on the field in New England. Right now he looks like a low probability flyer for 2017. If he can keep his nose clean he might have some value in 2018.

A lot of the players that remains are what teams will sign if they dont get what they want in the draft. There are a few out there waiting to get picked up and wrok deals, but most are just waiting for a call to come visit later in the year. I bet a team hasnt even called about Floyd yet.

I agree with WheelsUp that after last year's disappointing season he may not even be signed yet if he had a clean record. I don't think any of those teams would be very good for him as he'd be a 3rd WR for Det or TB. SF would make sense as I think he's better than Garcon, but will they find a QB? The only other places that even look slightly appealing would be Carolina (although they just signed two under the radar guys, Charles Johnson and Russell Shepard), Tennessee, and Buffalo. I think he'd at least be competing to be the WR2 on those teams.

I thought he had turned the corner in 2015 (or recaptured his 2nd year). He dealt with two injuries that year, but when he was healthy he was crushing it. Looked like the best WR on the roster. Then last year he looked like the worst. He had a chance for redemption but couldn't get on the field in New England. Right now he looks like a low probability flyer for 2017. If he can keep his nose clean he might have some value in 2018.
I thought a wr3 on a team is about what he should be shooting for at this point. Still think he can be a wr2 or wr1 (real NFL terms, not ffl wr1)? 

A lot of the players that remains are what teams will sign if they dont get what they want in the draft. There are a few out there waiting to get picked up and wrok deals, but most are just waiting for a call to come visit later in the year. I bet a team hasnt even called about Floyd yet.
Isnt he doing time?? He will be lucky to be on the league next seasom

I thought a wr3 on a team is about what he should be shooting for at this point. Still think he can be a wr2 or wr1 (real NFL terms, not ffl wr1)? 
If he plays like he did in 2013-2015, for sure (I blame the QBs for 2014's stat line). If he plays like 2016 he'll be lucky to be on a roster.

But yeah, realistically WR3 is what he should be shooting for this year. Just saying he's at least got a shot at a WR2 job in the places I listed (or WR1 in the case of SF). That's why I was saying for fantasy purposes - if his likely landing spot is WR3/4 then 2017 will be a wasted year for him. But he's still got size/speed/pedigree plus a couple nice seasons so he could get a shot in 2018 if he gets his act together.

bicycle_seat_sniffer said:
Isnt he doing time?? He will be lucky to be on the league next seasom
I believe at this point he is under house arrest and can't leave Arizona. However, he will be available and done with his legal situation in mid-June.

House arrest? He was lucky to be in the league this season with that video and get a SB trip out of it. Now he may get lucky and land on a good team that suffers an injury in camp.

House arrest? He was lucky to be in the league this season with that video and get a SB trip out of it. Now he may get lucky and land on a good team that suffers an injury in camp.
He served 24 days in jail and has to serve 96 days under house arrest. That puts the timeline at mid-June.

Kinda sad for Malcolm Butler. NE paid Floyd twice as much as Butler to appear in two games..

Users who are viewing this thread