What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is Michael Floyd underrated? (1 Viewer)

Chaka said:
I still like Fitz to finish with more TDs. He's :moneybag: in the red zone and near the goal line.
Last years 10 TDs was the highest since '09. Given his career stats, I think 6-8 TD's is more realistic. While I don't think the overall comparison is fair, I think Fitz will be more of a chain mover/safety valve for Palmer, much like Wayne was for Luck 2 years ago.
He went from Kurt Warner to Derek Anderson/John Skelton/Ryan Lindley/Max Hall before Carson Palmer.

Age may be a factor at this point but I think QB play more than anything is the reason for his lower stats from '10-12.

Rotoworld:

NFL writer Dan Pompei reports that some people inside the Cardinals organization believe Michael Floyd is "in for a big year" and will be Arizona's No. 1 wide receiver this season.

Larry Fitzgerald will turn 31 later this month, and is clearly on the down side of his career. He's still going to rack up a ton of catches and touchdowns in Bruce Arians' pass-happy attack out of the slot, but the transition to Floyd begun last season when the sophomore posted a 65-1,041-5 line and started all 16 games. Floyd's now a locked-in WR2. Fitzgerald has a $23.6 million cap number next season and may be entering his final year in the desert. Floyd and rookie John Brown may be the future at receiver in Arizona -- as soon as next season.

Source: Dan Pompei on Twitter

Aug 13 - 2:52 PM

Rotoworld:

NFL writer Dan Pompei reports that some people inside the Cardinals organization believe Michael Floyd is "in for a big year" and will be Arizona's No. 1 wide receiver this season.

Larry Fitzgerald will turn 31 later this month, and is clearly on the down side of his career. He's still going to rack up a ton of catches and touchdowns in Bruce Arians' pass-happy attack out of the slot, but the transition to Floyd begun last season when the sophomore posted a 65-1,041-5 line and started all 16 games. Floyd's now a locked-in WR2. Fitzgerald has a $23.6 million cap number next season and may be entering his final year in the desert. Floyd and rookie John Brown may be the future at receiver in Arizona -- as soon as next season.

Sticking a fork in Fitz a little early IMO.

Rotoworld:

Fitz' average the past two years is 76/876/7. Not expecting much as long as he's in AZ with Palmer at QB.

Rotoworld:

Fitz' average the past two years is 76/876/7. Not expecting much as long as he's in AZ with Palmer at QB.
If Palmer is the problem then why should Floyd be considered before Fitz?

Fitz's average with Palmer was 82/954/10. I think it is highly dubious to lump what he did with Palmer in with what happened with Skelton/Kolb/Lindley/Hoyer at QB.

They are sticking the fork in Fitz because of his salary cap hit next year, not just due to the decline.
Fair enough. Let's see how that plays out though, the cap will probably increase again and contracts are reworked all the time. I would hope that the Bidwell's would want to see him in a Cardinal's uniform for his entire career.

It would be weird to see Fitzgerald not in a Cardinals jersey next year. I would guess they will re-work a deal. I think those claiming the small school rookie is going to prove he can displace Fitz this year are overly optimistic.

Hasn't Fitz re-worked his deal before to save the team cap space? Who's to say he won't be willing to do the same again?

ETA: Yep, looking back in Fitz threads one year ago there were lots of people saying he'd be playing 2014 in Indy or NE because there was no way that Arizona could keep him this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
I own Floyd and Evans in the same dynasty league and would trade either one happily for Watkins. In fact, I'm considering offering Cobb for Watkins (plus a pick), so that I can own all 3.

Watkins

Floyd

Evans

Last edited by a moderator:
joey said:
I was asking more about dynasty rankings, but still interesting to see others thoughts.

Agreed that, in redraft, Floyd is easily the higher ranked player. But in dynasty, I think it's very close.
Redraft it's not even a discussion

Dynasty I still take Floyd easily

Floyd's ADP has risen from 5.05 to 4.12 in the past month and he's currently WR21 off the board. Looking over the list, a Welker is probably the only guy above him I'd rank lower. Yes, Fitz is also above him and I'll stick with Fitz for now. There are some guys bellow him I'd rather have though. Harvin and DJax for sure. Maclin (if healthy for sure) and K. Wright are also potential guys I'd like more.

I think he's pretty fairly priced right now.

Floyd's ADP has risen from 5.05 to 4.12 in the past month and he's currently WR21 off the board. Looking over the list, a Welker is probably the only guy above him I'd rank lower. Yes, Fitz is also above him and I'll stick with Fitz for now. There are some guys bellow him I'd rather have though. Harvin and DJax for sure. Maclin (if healthy for sure) and K. Wright are also potential guys I'd like more.

I'd take him over fitz and harvin, although they're relatively close.

Welker, djax, maclin and wright aren't even in the discussion for me. All 4 have lower ceilings and floors, which is generally not a good combo

:eek: nice article.

But there's also the sad reality that this could very well be Fitzgerald's last season with the Cardinals. He is scheduled to have a cap figure of $23.6 million next season, which is way too high for a No. 2 receiver.

Yes, No. 2.

For 11 years, Fitzgerald has been the go-to guy in the Arizona passing game, but that's now the job of third-year receiver Michael Floyd. I thought I was crazy thinking that Floyd would take over as the No. 1 receiver at some point this season, but after visiting with the Cardinals and talking to others around the league, I am not alone in that thinking.

"Floyd was the No. 1 guy late last season," one NFL general manager said.

Floyd has slimmed down and looks much quicker, much to the delight of the staff. Floyd caught 65 passes for 1,041 yards last season, while Fitzgerald caught 82 for 954 yards. The biggest difference was yards per catch, which, to me, is always a telling stat. Floyd averaged 16.0 ypc, while Fitzgerald was at 11.6 ypc.

I'd take him over fitz and harvin, although they're relatively close.

Welker, djax, maclin and wright aren't even in the discussion for me. All 4 have lower ceilings and floors, which is generally not a good combo
I don't think either Welker or DJax have lower ceilings than Floyd.

Manning looks to Welker a lot inside the 10 and DJax is one of the most explosive WRs in the game. Floyd is emerging but he still has to contend with Fitz who is, without question, the Cards most trusted option inside the 10. I think Fitz puts a cap on Floyd's TD upside in a big way.

:eek: nice article.

But there's also the sad reality that this could very well be Fitzgerald's last season with the Cardinals. He is scheduled to have a cap figure of $23.6 million next season, which is way too high for a No. 2 receiver.

Yes, No. 2.

For 11 years, Fitzgerald has been the go-to guy in the Arizona passing game, but that's now the job of third-year receiver Michael Floyd. I thought I was crazy thinking that Floyd would take over as the No. 1 receiver at some point this season, but after visiting with the Cardinals and talking to others around the league, I am not alone in that thinking.

"Floyd was the No. 1 guy late last season," one NFL general manager said.

Floyd has slimmed down and looks much quicker, much to the delight of the staff. Floyd caught 65 passes for 1,041 yards last season, while Fitzgerald caught 82 for 954 yards. The biggest difference was yards per catch, which, to me, is always a telling stat. Floyd averaged 16.0 ypc, while Fitzgerald was at 11.6 ypc.
The cap thing is definitely going to be an issue but I think people are way to quick to write off one of the best receivers of the past decade considering he is only 30 years old. He has a lot of good years of football left.

joey said:
I was asking more about dynasty rankings, but still interesting to see others thoughts.

Agreed that, in redraft, Floyd is easily the higher ranked player. But in dynasty, I think it's very close.
Redraft it's not even a discussion

Dynasty I still take Floyd easily
Same here and in one league I own both Watkins and Floyd. I'd trade Watkins before I'd trade Floyd.

Rotoworld:

You mean the guy that finished 8th last year in yards with a gimpy Fitz and a second year Floyd? Yeah, I can see how there's no way he could improve on already solid numbers :rolleyes:

Chaka said:
Skeletore Eh said:
jurb26 said:

I'd take him over fitz and harvin, although they're relatively close.Welker, djax, maclin and wright aren't even in the discussion for me. All 4 have lower ceilings and floors, which is generally not a good combo
I don't think either Welker or DJax have lower ceilings than Floyd.Manning looks to Welker a lot inside the 10 and DJax is one of the most explosive WRs in the game. Floyd is emerging but he still has to contend with Fitz who is, without question, the Cards most trusted option inside the 10. I think Fitz puts a cap on Floyd's TD upside in a big way.
Arguing welker over Floyd as a red zone option is a fools erand. Welker has never scored Tds aside from a fluky start to last season. And desean is essentially useless in the redone.

Welker has dt and jt before him as red zone targets. Desean has reed and garçon

Floyd has himself and a declining fitz.

People are still sleeping on Floyd

I'd take him over fitz and harvin, although they're relatively close.Welker, djax, maclin and wright aren't even in the discussion for me. All 4 have lower ceilings and floors, which is generally not a good combo
I don't think either Welker or DJax have lower ceilings than Floyd.Manning looks to Welker a lot inside the 10 and DJax is one of the most explosive WRs in the game. Floyd is emerging but he still has to contend with Fitz who is, without question, the Cards most trusted option inside the 10. I think Fitz puts a cap on Floyd's TD upside in a big way.
Arguing welker over Floyd as a red zone option is a fools erand. Welker has never scored Tds aside from a fluky start to last season. And desean is essentially useless in the redone.

Welker has dt and jt before him as red zone targets. Desean has reed and garçon

Floyd has himself and a declining fitz.

People are still sleeping on Floyd
I wouldn't call it a fool's errand. We only have a seasons worth of stats to go on but it was actually Decker who lead the team in RZ targets last year. It went Decker (25), Welker (24), DThomas (21), JThomas (19). Anyone who watched them play last year could tell that Manning felt very comfortable targeting Welker in the RZ. TDs have never been Welker's strongest suit but you're simply twisting the facts.

On the other hand, Fitz was targeted 27 times in the RZ last year to Floyd's 15; this probably also has a lot to do with comfort on Palmer's part. As long as Fitz is there, I honestly don't see that ratio changing too drastically.

Rotoworld:

ESPN New York expects Michael Floyd to be shadowed by Giants CB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie this week.

Floyd plays the outside in three-wide sets, so he'll draw Rodgers-Cromartie the majority of the game. Larry Fitzgerald will matchup up with Walter Thurmond in the slot, and Prince Amukamara in two-wide. It's not a downgrade to Floyd's matchup, but a sign that he's going to start drawing opposing team's No. 1 corners going forward. Floyd is Rotoworld's No. 9 overall wideout for Week 2.

Related: Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie

Source: ESPN New York

Sep 13 - 3:05 PM

Rotoworld:

Michael Floyd secured 4-of-7 targets for 47 yards and a touchdown in the Cardinals' Week 6 win over the Redskins.

Rejuvenated by the return of Carson Palmer, Floyd opened Sunday's scoring by winning a contested catch for a 20-yard touchdown in the first quarter. He finished with seven targets, second most on the team behind only Andre Ellington (9). For as long as Palmer is healthy and available for games, Floyd will be a fantasy WR2 with weekly WR1 upside. He should tee off on the Raiders next.

Oct 12 - 8:34 PM

so... for those who watched the game... what happened? that's amazing, not one catch.
looked really not into it to be totally honest. Had chances to catch three balls, he did get dinged at one point but he didn't seem to run his routes with much enthusiasm. I'm gonna be shopping him and hope to get something on name value. He was at best the third look today after Fitz and Carlson and you have to imagine John Brown earned some trust.

I should have started Sigmund Bloom over this bum. I still would have taken a zero, but it would have been a much cooler story.

Users who are viewing this thread