What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is Michael Floyd underrated? (1 Viewer)

Do you think he's a one-trick pony? Seems like he can't adapt to certain game conditions and just disappears. I know the other games were with backup QBs but today's disappearing act was with Palmer.

He's had 7 targets over the last two games. He is boom or bust, he is the new Torry Smith, catch a long one or catch nothing

Michael Floyd had zero catches on four targets in Sunday's 24-20 win over the Eagles.
Floyd gave owners a brief scare early when Eagles CB Bradley Fletcher landed on his knee, but injury was not the issue here. Floyd was targeted on three deep balls early, narrowly missing on two of them that could have been construed as drops. Frustratingly, the Cardinals did not manufacture any catches for Floyd on more high-percentage throws, instead drawing those up for Larry Fitzgerald (7-160-1 on 10 targets). Floyd's natural ability keeps him on the WR2 radar against Dallas in Week 9, but volume is a concern. He has a total of seven targets in the last two weeks.

Yeah the Torrey Smith comparison is looking pretty on the mark right now. Complete boom/bust guy who gets limited targets and will either get you a huge week or a complete dud. I don't know if he's a buy low - I guess he is in dynasty but not really in redraft. I'm starting to think I like Brown better in both formats

I cut him. He's a "Boom" or bust guy, but this year the "Boom" has only been 10 to 13 points. That is not enough for me to warrant the zeroes and ones that we get in the bust weeks. Since I finally cut bait, you can pencil in 4-169-2 this week.

I cut him. He's a "Boom" or bust guy, but this year the "Boom" has only been 10 to 13 points. That is not enough for me to warrant the zeroes and ones that we get in the bust weeks. Since I finally cut bait, you can pencil in 4-169-2 this week.
Who did you pick up?

I was stunned to see the guy only has 19 catches on the year.

PPR: I've never been a big fan as I think he's pretty slow out of his breaks which will limits his catches but I think he'll be fine alongside Brown when the Cards move past Fitzgerald next year. Brown has a chance to be a PPR dynamo when Fitz moves on IMO

Torrey Smith is a good example of comparison. Let's hope it doesn't sink to Travis Taylor.
Sadly enough, I actually have to pick between starting torrey or floyd as my wr2 this week because of bye week issues--and I find myself going back and forth between the two. As of now--I have floyd in--but my level of comfort is basically zero.

He's had 7 targets over the last two games. He is boom or bust, he is the new Torry Smith, catch a long one or catch nothing
I think this misses the mark. I think Floyd's numbers are suffering from a few factors.

1. They've only played 7 games, and three of them were with Drew Stanton and his 48% completion that he's delivered. Floyd has 3 dud games so far. Two of them are with Stanton. The third he narrowly missed huge plays on a couple occasions.

2. He's got a John Brown problem.

3. He has a coach that refuses to force the ball to one WR.

Right now the Cards are basically throwing to 4 players. Fitz/Floyd/Brown/Ellington. That is too many for this offense to support for fantasy purposes. Its basically the same thing that is happening in SF. Too many mouths to feed for any one of them to be a consistent fantasy stud in the passing game.

I think Floyd will probably actually be the most consistent out of the Fitz/Floyd/Brown trio. However, he's not going to be the borderline WR1 we had hoped going into this season. I think he'll end up as a low end WR2 at the end of the season.

I still like him as a dynasty prospect. The talent is there. The situation just needs to change. (Fitz leaving would be a big boon to his numbers)

Last edited by a moderator:
If there ever was a buy low window it is now. I think like many next year will be when we start to see more consistency.
Couldn't agree more! He will have a few nice games down the stretch. I wouldn't want him as my 2, but he's a great flex option. With Palmer at the helm, last week was an aberration not the norm

If there ever was a buy low window it is now. I think like many next year will be when we start

to see more consistency.
Couldn't agree more! He will have a few nice games down the stretch. I wouldn't want him as my 2, but he's a great flex option. With Palmer at the helm, last week was an aberration not the norm
But the problem is that people didn't draft him as a flex. He was supposed to be a #2 with #1 upside.

If there ever was a buy low window it is now. I think like many next year will be when we start

to see more consistency.
Couldn't agree more! He will have a few nice games down the stretch. I wouldn't want him as my 2, but he's a great flex option. With Palmerat the helm, last week was an aberration not the norm
But the problem is that people didn't draft him as a flex. He was supposed to be a #2 with #1 upside.
With Palmer at QB, opposite Fitz, and with a pass catching RB?

Floyd will probably end up as a WR3 by the end of the year. He's been frustrating to say the least.... someone just dropped VJax in my league to pick up RG3, so I'm probably going to drop Floyd for VJax and take my chances there.

to see more consistency.
Couldn't agree more! He will have a few nice games down the stretch. I wouldn't want him as my 2, but he's a great flex option. With Palmerat the helm, last week was an aberration not the norm
I think that was possible until John Brown stepped in and grabbed 6 targets/game.

With Palmer at QB Floyd's PPR numbers:

WK 1: 17.1

WK 6: 14.7

WK 7: 13.7

WK 8: 0

With Stanton at QB:

WK 2: 2.9

WK 3: 16.4

WK 5: 1.7

Seems to me they throw mostly long bombs to him ...which are low percentage passes...so ya ...boom or bust...he needs more short and medium passes thrown his way like Fitz gets

to see more consistency.
Yes, yes, and yes. He still could very well end up a #2 with #1 upside.

It's still a little early for the I told you so's.

to see more consistency.
Fitzgerald hasn't had a thousand yards for 2 years and isn't on pace again this year. They have no TE so that way more than makes up for Ellington. Palmer isn't good but Arians offense should fit him perfectly. Sounding like a lot of excuses going on here. If he's a top 10 wr in the NFL, he should be doing a lot better than this.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a feeling this week he may go off. Could be wrong. Benched him for Beckham Jr. In one league and startin him in another.

I actually need Floyd to have a big game this week as my opponent already had Ingram going for him. I have to say that my confidence level is very low on him. Regardless of if Romo plays, I see the Cowboys running the ball like crazy and playing ball control and possession football. I would not be surprised to see a lower scoring game than what vegas predicts. At this very moment, the over under is 44.5 with dallas being a 2.5 point favorite. This means that Vegas is predicting a score of 23.5-21 in favor of dallas. I'm not sure I see a game that is this high scoring--I see something like 20-17. With this being said--I very much hope for Floyd to have a big game--but I don't see it happening. I would be thrilled with 50 yards and a td--but he's soo hard to predict. I'm contemplating starting Torrey Smith over him--as I could see that game as having more shootout potential. Vegas is basically predicting the pitt/baltimore game to be somewhere in the 25-24 final score range--and I would not be shocked if Torrey had better potential for 100 yards and a td or 2. Luckily I have a free hour tonight to go back and forth and debate myself over what to do. Oh how fantasy football is great.

to see more consistency.
Fitzgerald hasn't had a thousand yards for 2 years and isn't on pace again this year. They have no TE so that way more than makes up for Ellington. Palmer isn't good but Arians offense should fit him perfectly. Sounding like a lot of excuses going on here. If he's a top 10 wr in the NFL, he should be doing a lot better than this.
He has 21 targets from Palmer this year. You are ready to make call on that?

I'm perfectly willing to agree that he's not going to be a stud WR this year. I think that has a lot to do with his current situation. His coach has made a conscious decision to equally target Fitz/Floyd/Brown and Ellington in the passing game. Right now targets are sitting at 49/43/43/43 respectively. The only reason Fitz is ahead by six is the fact he got six more targets than Floyd last week. It could just as easily swing back the other way next week.

This isn't a talent issue. This is a coaching decision. HOFer in Fitz on one side. Excellent pass catching back in Ellington. Brown looks like a very good rookie WR. Arians decides to make defenses cover them all, and distributes the ball evenly amongst them. Pisses off FF owners, but he's sitting there at 6-1 and laughing all the way to the bank.

Don't own Floyd anywhere. This guy was being WAY OVERVALUED. I'm not saying he isn't a decent prospect. But many had him ahead of Fitzgerald. He is not a stud and does not belong in the conversation. He is serviceable. It is what it is. Guess we have to accept it.

Just traded Floyd for Donnell in a TD only league, as I also have Ellington

Go Giants! lol

to see more consistency.
in redraft that was a mistake. But, I just picked him up off waivers, so that seems a good buy-low. (had to drop K. Wright)

to see more consistency.
in redraft that was a mistake. But, I just picked him up off waivers, so that seems a good buy-low. (had to drop K. Wright)
Just to be clear when I say buy low I am only speaking in dynasty terms.

Just traded Floyd for Donnell in a TD only league, as I also have Ellington

Go Giants! lol
Meh, a TD only league boosts the value of Floyd, he has scored in 2 of the 4 games Palmer started. Meanwhile Donnell has scored in 2 of 7 games with Eli.

to see more consistency.
He has 21 targets from Palmer this year. You are ready to make call on that?

I'm perfectly willing to agree that he's not going to be a stud WR this year. I think that has a lot to do with his current situation. His coach has made a conscious decision to equally target Fitz/Floyd/Brown and Ellington in the passing game. Right now targets are sitting at 49/43/43/43 respectively. The only reason Fitz is ahead by six is the fact he got six more targets than Floyd last week. It could just as easily swing back the other way next week.

This isn't a talent issue. This is a coaching decision. HOFer in Fitz on one side. Excellent pass catching back in Ellington. Brown looks like a very good rookie WR. Arians decides to make defenses cover them all, and distributes the ball evenly amongst them. Pisses off FF owners, but he's sitting there at 6-1 and laughing all the way to the bank.
You guys sound like Trent Richardson fans from last year, one excuse after another. This is his second year with Palmer. And last year Fitzgerald had a down year as he was nicked up a lot, they had no TE, not much of a wr3 and Floyd had a great opportunity to put up big numbers. He was okay. Now this year, he's been slightly worse.

Yes, talent is issue. If he was an elite level wr like a lot of people say he is, he should be doing a lot better than this. Wake up call, if Floyd was an elite player, he'd get more targets than a rookie 3rd round draft pick. Great players end up with more targets because they are simply open more, make more plays on the ball and earn the trust of the qb. I think Floyd is a good deep threat but he does seem like a one-trick pony. That's fine and he can be a solid low wr2 or high wr3 but he's being sold a lot higher than that.

to see more consistency.
He has 21 targets from Palmer this year. You are ready to make call on that? I'm perfectly willing to agree that he's not going to be a stud WR this year. I think that has a lot to do with his current situation. His coach has made a conscious decision to equally target Fitz/Floyd/Brown and Ellington in the passing game. Right now targets are sitting at 49/43/43/43 respectively. The only reason Fitz is ahead by six is the fact he got six more targets than Floyd last week. It could just as easily swing back the other way next week.

You guys sound like Trent Richardson fans from last year, one excuse after another. This is his second year with Palmer. And last year Fitzgerald had a down year as he was nicked up a lot, they had no TE, not much of a wr3 and Floyd had a great opportunity to put up big numbers. He was okay. Now this year, he's been slightly worse.

Yes, talent is issue. If he was an elite level wr like a lot of people say he is, he should be doing a lot better than this. Wake up call, if Floyd was an elite player, he'd get more targets than a rookie 3rd round draft pick. Great players end up with more targets because they are simply open more, make more plays on the ball and earn the trust of the qb. I think Floyd is a good deep threat but he does seem like a one-trick pony. That's fine and he can be a solid low wr2 or high wr3 but he's being sold a lot higher than that.
You don't want me to tell you what you sound like.

So can you explain to me then why Forte, Marshall, Jeffery and Bennett are essentially splitting targets evenly? Are none of them elite?

Very torn BW this turd and Jordan Reed. In a .5 ppr.

I just know if I sit floyd today he will have 100 and a touch

They are just spreading it around so much. He's just going to be too inconsistent to start this year.

Rotoworld:

Carson Palmer said coach Bruce Arians' offense is designed to spread the ball around.

"I've been in offenses where the majority of the plays are designed to go to one guy," Palmer said. "This system is not designed to go to the 'X' or the 'Z' or the 'Y.' It depends on the coverage." Palmer hit nine different pass catchers against Oakland last week, and connected with 11 and eight different receivers in his first two starts of the season. The emphasis on spreading the ball around has led to disappointing seasons for Larry Fitzgerald and Michael Floyd, who are both on pace to fall below their statistical output from last season. Unless something changes, Arizona's offensive philosophy makes Floyd nothing more than an upside WR2, while Fitzgerald is a WR3 moving forward.

Source: Arizona Republic

Oct 25 - 12:57 PM

Don't own Floyd anywhere. This guy was being WAY OVERVALUED. I'm not saying he isn't a decent prospect. But many had him ahead of Fitzgerald. He is not a stud and does not belong in the conversation. He is serviceable. It is what it is. Guess we have to accept it.
I'm guilty of that, overvalued Floyd..

scrap heap player now..

to see more consistency.
He has 21 targets from Palmer this year. You are ready to make call on that? I'm perfectly willing to agree that he's not going to be a stud WR this year. I think that has a lot to do with his current situation. His coach has made a conscious decision to equally target Fitz/Floyd/Brown and Ellington in the passing game. Right now targets are sitting at 49/43/43/43 respectively. The only reason Fitz is ahead by six is the fact he got six more targets than Floyd last week. It could just as easily swing back the other way next week.

You don't want me to tell you what you sound like.

So can you explain to me then why Forte, Marshall, Jeffery and Bennett are essentially splitting targets evenly? Are none of them elite?
Bennett and Forte have put up huge numbers this year. Jeffery and Marshall have been nicked up and Cutler has been awful. Look up the numbers these players put up last year when they were healthy and the qb play was better. Also look up the Denver offense, Colts, etc, etc. Laughable. I'm going to repeat this, I'm not saying Floyd is a bad player, but he's not elite. Elite players will always force more targets and get theirs in the end. Of course they have down games but not down years for no reason (injury, awful qb play, etc). Unless he improves quite a bit, he's not in the conversation to be an elite wr.

And comparing Forte, Bennett, Marshall and Jeffery to Ellington, Carlson (snicker), and Fitzgerald is a giant leap even if it had any validity. Sorry, but nothing you've said holds water at all.

The cardinals are currently the #1 seed in the NFC. Their formula is working extremely well right now. However, they are the #23 ranked offense. That means there isn't a huge pie to divvy up.

Both their HC and their QB have made statements how the offense is designed to spread the ball around and not feature any one player.

Brandon LaFell and Steve Smith are putting up very good numbers. Both players were afterthoughts coming into this season. Their situation changed, and suddenly they became very fantasy relevant. Situation is a huge part of ff success. Right now all the WRs in Arizona are borderline fantasy players. I'm confident that if Floyd was getting the targets that Steve Smith and Brandon LaFell are, he'd be very successful.

One last thing. I have a different opinion than you do about a player. Not really sure why you are choosing to make this personal/insulting.

Users who are viewing this thread