Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Is Michael Floyd underrated?

EBF

Even before this injury, there is no chance I would ever consider this chump, no matter what the price. There is nothing worse than wrs who give less than 5 points in ppr half the time. The dude is almost like frikking Gandalf, he disappears so much!

Didn't he end the season with a couple of good games?

I'm not sure what to make of him and the revolving QBs in AZ, etc. Whatever it is, you're right-it's a concern. I guess I'm just thinking it wouldn't surprise me to see him flourish or flop, either one.

On a somewhat related note, anyone else notice how Rotoworld just pounced on this and immediately chewed him up, said he was nothing, how it was "indeed" a certainty that Brown would start the year as a starter and maybe even keep FLoyd on the bench? Just seems a bit "matter-of-fact" to say those kind of things as the details are still coming out. Almost seems like they had a bias or something.

Even before this injury, there is no chance I would ever consider this chump, no matter what the price. There is nothing worse than wrs who give less than 5 points in ppr half the time. The dude is almost like frikking Gandalf, he disappears so much!

I really think this Gandalf thing is going to catch on.

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Ed Werder reports Michael Floyd underwent surgery because his dislocated fingers "broke through skin."

In other words, not your typical dislocation. Per Werder, the team pegs Floyd's timeline as 3-5 weeks. That gives him a legitimate chance to be ready for the Sept. 13 opener, but he should be considered week to week until further notice.
Aug 6 - 4:06 PM

Your finger joints are like a U. If part of the U breaks they call it a dislocation and not a fracture or break. I suppose it's both. One finger (not three) is fairly common in hoops. I don't think this will be as bad as people think.

There's stories of one getting popped back into place, taped up, and playing.

3 versus one is a concern but WRs are like basketball players and jam their fingers often. At some point in the recovery it'll be like a jammed type pain and he can handle it. Their tolerance is wayyy up there.

See the Holt post? I don't think he ever missed a game due to finger injury.

Rotoworld:

Michael Floyd - WR - Cardinals

Cardinals coach Bruce Arians referred to Michael Floyd's hand injury as "unique" on Friday, and provided no timetable for return.

The uniqueness of Floyd's injury gives doctors a limited precedent from which to work when forecasting his recovery. Floyd dislocated three fingers to the point that they were sticking out of his skin. Early estimates have had Floyd back in 3-5 weeks. He's on the doubtful side of questionable for Week 1.

Aug 7 - 2:10 PM

Outlook for a Dislocated Finger

Most simple finger dislocations can be put back into place easily. Full function in the injured finger will usually return. Mild or moderate discomfort or disability can continue for 12-18 months. You may expect some permanent swelling or disfigurement of the injured joint.

Occasionally, a fragment of the dislocated joint or some surrounding tissue can become lodged between the displaced bones. This prevents the bones from going into place. Surgery may be necessary to put the bones into the correct position. Results of this surgery are usually very good, but some function may be lost.

Rotoworld:

Michael Floyd's three dislocated fingers came through the left palm of his hand.

The fingers punctured the skin through Floyd's hand. It must have been a gruesome injury to see. Floyd underwent surgery and has no official timetable for return. Reporters have stated Floyd's timeline is 3-5 weeks, but coach Bruce Arians gave none when pressed Friday. Floyd seems doubtful for Week 1.

Source: Kent Somers on Twitter

Aug 8 - 11:19 PM

Michael Floyd (dislocated fingers) is "hopeful" he'll be ready for Week 1.

For now, Floyd said he's taking things "day by day." He's without an official timetable for a return, and appears no better than 50-50 for the opener. Floyd will almost certainly miss the entire preseason.

Rotoworld:

Michael Floyd (dislocated fingers) has had the stitches removed from his left hand.

Floyd tweeted Tuesday that "everything is coming along." If Floyd continues to progress without setbacks, there's a good chance he'll be ready for Week 1. He's still a long-shot for Arizona's regular season dress rehearsal on August 30.
Aug 18 - 3:10 PM

• 2 weeks later...

Rotoworld:

Michael Floyd (dislocated fingers) was catching "soft passes" on Tuesday.

The piece of progress comes six days after coach Bruce Arians said he was "optimistic" Floyd would be ready for the opener. "I think my hand is doing what I want it to do," Floyd said. "I’m a fast healer, thank God." Still, we might not get a strong feel for Floyd's Week 1 status until the Cards get in an official practice next week.

Source: Kent Somers on Twitter

Sep 1 - 2:45 PM

Rotoworld:

Cardinals' team reporter Jody Jackson said Michael Floyd's (dislocated fingers) status for Week 1 is still "up in the air."

Floyd started catching soft passes this week, but Jackson said no one from the organization has said they expect Floyd to play. With just 10 days until the season opener, Floyd has yet to return to live drills. We will not have a great feel for Floyd's status until the Cardinals publish an official practice report next week, but right now he appears to be questionable at best for Week 1.

Sep 3 - 10:20 PM

• 2 weeks later...

Rotoworld:

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Michael Floyd (fingers) is "poised to play" Week 1 against the Saints.

Floyd was being called a game-time decision on Friday, but signs point to him being able to play after missing the entire preseason with dislocated fingers that punctured his palm. Still, Floyd isn't much more than a boom-or-bust WR3/4; he didn't have much chemistry with Carson Palmer last season and projects to be the third or fourth option in the Cardinals' passing game.

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Sep 13 - 8:34 AM

Rotoworld:

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Michael Floyd (fingers) is "poised to play" Week 1 against the Saints.

Floyd was being called a game-time decision on Friday, but signs point to him being able to play after missing the entire preseason with dislocated fingers that punctured his palm. Still, Floyd isn't much more than a boom-or-bust WR3/4; he didn't have much chemistry with Carson Palmer last season and projects to be the third or fourth option in the Cardinals' passing game.

How true is this? Floyd looked to be an emerging guy to me after his 2nd season, but started disappearing last year and is almost an afterthought at this point. Is it him, or the ARI offense? Will he have a future if he latches on elsewhere?

I paid my 2016 1st + 2nd for him in the offseason and now that doesn't look like my greatest move. You can argue that Arizona is the problem, because Palmer is fixated on John Brown and Fitz needs to get his touches, but, looking at the bigger picture, Floyd just hasn't shown the progression you would expect of his draft pedigree.

His FF value would be highly dependent on where he ends up playing in 2016. If he stays in Arizona, it doesn't look good. I wonder if Arizona's division rivals won't jump on him - all 3 could use WR help.

Rotoworld:

How true is this? Floyd looked to be an emerging guy to me after his 2nd season, but started disappearing last year and is almost an afterthought at this point. Is it him, or the ARI offense? Will he have a future if he latches on elsewhere?

I think he looked like an emerging player to everyone after his second season. If memory serves, he was a consensus WR2 going into his third season. It is easy to blame that season the QBs, which I did initially, but it was pointed out to me that he actually didn't perform well with Palmer for the handful of games they played together. So that's a bit alarming. He's got the size, speed, and draft pedigree that he'll absolutely get another chance somewhere, but if he doesn't pan out there... look at Nicks - a 27 y.o. first rounder street FA.

What's his upside this season? John Brown is the ascending player of that WR core.

If he can retain his role as the starting WR and out snap Brown he's got WR2 upside. Given how much Palmer likes Brown, it is unlikely, but Arians likes to get vertical and Floyd can do that. What he did his second year on only 111 targets should be attainable. Arians has never thrown to the TE or RB very much, so there should be targets available. He was really cheap this year so I think he's was a good flyer. If someone dropped him and you've got a reasonable sized bench then I'd grab him.

John Brown is a good player in his own right, but you can't teach size. You'd have to think Floyd should get some red zone love this year. I saw a statistic showing Palmer has thrown for like 4500/30 in his last 16 games. This offense can support 3 WRs at the expense of the TE and RB positions.

Floyd 6'3" 220 lbs 4.47

Brown 5'10" 179 lbs 4.34

What's his upside this season? John Brown is the ascending player of that WR core.

If he can retain his role as the starting WR and out snap Brown he's got WR2 upside. Given how much Palmer likes Brown, it is unlikely, but Arians likes to get vertical and Floyd can do that. What he did his second year on only 111 targets should be attainable. Arians has never thrown to the TE or RB very much, so there should be targets available. He was really cheap this year so I think he's was a good flyer. If someone dropped him and you've got a reasonable sized bench then I'd grab him.

John Brown is a good player in his own right, but you can't teach size. You'd have to think Floyd should get some red zone love this year. I saw a statistic showing Palmer has thrown for like 4500/30 in his last 16 games. This offense can support 3 WRs at the expense of the TE and RB positions.

Floyd 6'3" 220 lbs 4.47

Brown 5'10" 179 lbs 4.34

Ellington averaged over 5 targets per game last year. His 16 game pace was 85 targets.

Floyd 6'3" 220 lbs 4.47

Brown 5'10" 179 lbs 4.34

Ellington averaged over 5 targets per game last year. His 16 game pace was 85 targets.

Yea, but it wasn't Palmer throwing tons of check-downs to the Ellington last year. I don't see Palmer utilizing RBs as much as Lindley/Stanton.

• Like 1

Floyd 6'3" 220 lbs 4.47

Brown 5'10" 179 lbs 4.34

Yea, but it wasn't Palmer throwing tons of check-downs to the Ellington last year. I don't see Palmer utilizing RBs as much as Lindley/Stanton.

Ellington had 38 targets in the 6 games that he played with Palmer last year. That is a 16 game pace of 101.

When you look at the game breakdown, Ellingtons targets were very consistent. He actually didn't get a target in the last partial game that he played. So all 64 of his targets came in 11 games. Throw out that partial game and its a 98 target 16 game season.

They involve Ellington in the passing game a ton.

Floyd 6'3" 220 lbs 4.47

Brown 5'10" 179 lbs 4.34

Ellington had 38 targets in the 6 games that he played with Palmer last year. That is a 16 game pace of 101.

When you look at the game breakdown, Ellingtons targets were very consistent. He actually didn't get a target in the last partial game that he played. So all 64 of his targets came in 11 games. Throw out that partial game and its a 98 target 16 game season.

They involve Ellington in the passing game a ton.

All right. How does that change over the next month with Ellington out? I'm having trouble accepting that Floyd has so little value that he's on the waiver wire in some leagues.

I see a 25-year old former first-round pick in a high-volume, vertical passing offense who has the best overall athleticism/talent of any receiver on the roster. He's 6'2", 220, runs a 4.45 and is one season removed from having 1,000 yards. None of his injuries have been lower-body (aka the Nicks argument) and he is now practicing in full.

There doesn't seem to be a single player with more upside that is being valued outside of the top 100 players. What am I missing? Why wouldn't Floyd play outside every snap and Brown only plays slot from now on?

Edited by Phenomena

• 2 weeks later...

I see a 25-year old former first-round pick in a high-volume, vertical passing offense who has the best overall athleticism/talent of any receiver on the roster. He's 6'2", 220, runs a 4.45 and is one season removed from having 1,000 yards. None of his injuries have been lower-body (aka the Nicks argument) and he is now practicing in full.

There doesn't seem to be a single player with more upside that is being valued outside of the top 100 players. What am I missing? Why wouldn't Floyd play outside every snap and Brown only plays slot from now on?

Fitz is still a better athlete than Floyd, but Floyd's lack of involvement is interesting. I saw him out there in a couple Fitz highlights today and he looks like he can run and move pretty well. I bet a WR-starved team like Dallas or Cleveland would love to have that guy.

Anyway, I don't own him anywhere. I wonder what he'd cost in a dynasty league at this point. Probably not much. Might be worth a flyer if he can change teams. He has a huge cap figure for 2016 and is slated to be a FA in 2017, so this could get interesting.

Fitz is still a better athlete than Floyd, but Floyd's lack of involvement is interesting. I saw him out there in a couple Fitz highlights today and he looks like he can run and move pretty well. I bet a WR-starved team like Dallas or Cleveland would love to have that guy.

Anyway, I don't own him anywhere. I wonder what he'd cost in a dynasty league at this point. Probably not much. Might be worth a flyer if he can change teams. He has a huge cap figure for 2016 and is slated to be a FA in 2017, so this could get interesting.

I drafted him in a startup a couple years ago just in case I was wrong about him and he's been riding my bench ever since. Would have to give him away (would be lucky to get a 3rd). Like most C-Mike owners I plan to go down with the ship and hope a new situation does the trick.

Rotoworld:

Coach Bruce Arians said the Cardinals made an effort to try and get Michael Floyd "going" in Week 3 and want to increase his role moving forward.

Floyd played just 31-of-76 snaps (40.7 percent) a week after being in on 40-of-59 plays (67.7 percent). The down snap total could be attributed to the Cardinals absolutely smashing the 49ers last Sunday. Floyd did see a season-high five targets on his 31 snaps, but caught just one ball for 12 yards. Floyd is behind both Larry Fitzgerald and John Brown, but is a fixture in three-wide sets.

Source: Alex Marvez on Twitter

Sep 29 - 8:47 PM

Had this guy as a later round "sleeper" in quite a few redrafts, but he's been an obvious disappointment so far. Also own him in a couple dynasty leagues. Definitely a hold in dynasty, but he's already left one of my shorter bench redraft rosters, and he'll be leaving the rest of them next week if he doesn't show anything this week.

Honestly thought he was gonna have a solid year once he got over the hand injury.

I have him in dynasty and just picked him up in redraft. He's about to break out. Fully healed from hand injury. Last week he had an AMAZING 40 yard catch from Palmer where he snatched it out of the air with 3 defenders closing in on him. Play was called back by Penalty.

Arians talking about how it's a priority to get him involved more moving forward.

This is gonna be the first week he makes his presence felt in the stat line.

Ok, rickyg...you just persuaded me to take a flyer on him once again. I have a soft spot for him since he helped propel me into the playoffs in 2013. Let's hope Arians it true to his word and Floyd gets much more involved moving forward.

Gl man. I'm starting him and I fully 100% acknowledge its a very risky move and he could give me a goose egg. But it's bw him and hankerson. So I'm rolling with floyd's talent, upside in that offense, coach speak, john brown not being at 100%, and pure gut feeling.

Stl pass defense is no joke either. But a lot of attn will be on fitz. And I think Arizona passing game will be a stuff test for them.

Will be fun to watch.

Ok, rickyg...you just persuaded me to take a flyer on him once again. I have a soft spot for him since he helped propel me into the playoffs in 2013. Let's hope Arians it true to his word and Floyd gets much more involved moving forward.

Gl man. I'm starting him and I fully 100% acknowledge its a very risky move and he could give me a goose egg. But it's bw him and hankerson. So I'm rolling with floyd's talent, upside in that offense, coach speak, john brown not being at 100%, and pure gut feeling.

Stl pass defense is no joke either. But a lot of attn will be on fitz. And I think Arizona passing game will be a stuff test for them.

Will be fun to watch.

#### it, I'm throwing him into a GPP.

edit: CB Trumaine Johnson will probably be on Fitzgerald, leaving Janoris Jenkins on Brown or Floyd. He has allowed an 80-percent completion rate and 94.5 QB rating

Edited by pbandy1