What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is Michael Floyd underrated? (2 Viewers)

Im rolling him out this weekend. He'll get some deep jump balls, and RZ targets again, Im betting. You know they want to get this guy going. A pretty good chance for a TD.

From the Cards perspective, if Floyd is back to form, they are that much more of a formidable offense.....this team could be the best in the NFC right now. Sick D, and offensive weapons galore.

Let's just all acknowledged now that by tomorrow evening we might all be in here lamenting the goose egg we got from Floyd...or the 100 yards and a touch.

I feel like it will be boom or bust with him tomorrow.

I have him in dynasty and just picked him up in redraft. He's about to break out. Fully healed from hand injury. Last week he had an AMAZING 40 yard catch from Palmer where he snatched it out of the air with 3 defenders closing in on him. Play was called back by Penalty.

Arians talking about how it's a priority to get him involved more moving forward.

This is gonna be the first week he makes his presence felt in the stat line.
To be fair, Arians also said David Johnson was going to get an increased role after going off in Week 2.

He rode CJ despite the crazy lead.

Arians word can't be trusted. I'd wait for Floyd to show any signs of being a focal point in ARI before stashing him in shorter bench leagues.

rickyg said:
Let's just all acknowledged now that by tomorrow evening we might all be in here lamenting the goose egg we got from Floyd...or the 100 yards and a touch.

I feel like it will be boom or bust with him tomorrow.
what else is new with Floyd? Him getting involved maybe means he get a few more deep ball thrown to him. And I use the word "few" sparingly.

Well we never revisited this. He had a decent week 4. 5-59 and could have been a bigger day. Drew 2 pi calls, one in the end zone. Palmer definitely looking for him. He's the only one with his skill set on the team. Fitz is playing the short/intermediate stuff from the slot. John brown is sped but small. Floyd gives Palmer that big wr1 type target on the outside and in the end zone.

Looking good. Only a matter of time before the breakout occurs. He's in my lineup again this week vs det. Over m Bryant and dgb. Not saying much. But still. I have confidence and feel like last week was his floor moving forward.

Last edited by a moderator:
He was semi-close to 3 TDs in week 6. He had a dud in week 5 when Palmer only threw 14 passes, but had decent games before and after that. Plus, he's getting some looks in the endzone. Going forward, he seems like a decent bye week filler or WR3 if you're desperate.

He's still 3rd on the team in snaps, but Arians uses a lot of 3 WR sets. Week 6 breakdown = 67-65-54 for Fitz-Brown-Floyd out of 72 possible snaps.

One could argue Moncrief is one of them. Really depends on their role. If he's getting 7-8 targets a week with a priority in the red zone then that's really all that matters from a fantasy perspective, right?

The thing with Floyd is that his injury led to a slow start, but 7 targets a game is equivalent to 112 on a 16 game season. If he can make that his norm (a sizable "if") then there are plenty of people in lineups right now that he'll outperform or at least pace. Guys such as Moncrief, Hurns, Cooks, V Jax, Randle, Wright, Garcon... and if he's getting TDs and it is a standard league, guys like Maclin and Landry will struggle. Floyd is only one year removed from putting up over 1000 yards on 7.06 targets per game.

How many 3rd options on any team are actually valuable week-to-week??
when an offense doesn't have a TE or RB taking a lot of targets, it is more feasible, no?
I echo this. Clearly every scenario is different. But as long as Palmer is at the helm and assuming a league is starting 3 wrs or going at least 30-40 wrs deep into the pool, Floyd is clearly in the conversation as to who is startable. Throw in byes and injuries and he is clearly rosterable in many leagues.

Hmmm... I am rereading and see that you say week-to-week. I spoke askance at your comment. But even so, I would say that for many owners, for the reasons mentioned, Floyd will be in the thinking process for week-to-week starter. Should add, as another said, he is just now ramping up after coming back from injury and has see enough targets the last couple of weeks to give hope.

when an offense doesn't have a TE or RB taking a lot of targets, it is more feasible, no?
I echo this. Clearly every scenario is different. But as long as Palmer is at the helm and assuming a league is starting 3 wrs or going at least 30-40 wrs deep into the pool, Floyd is clearly in the conversation as to who is startable. Throw in byes and injuries and he is clearly rosterable in many leagues.Hmmm... I am rereading and see that you say week-to-week. I spoke askance at your comment. But even so, I would say that for many owners, for the reasons mentioned, Floyd will be in the thinking process for week-to-week starter. Should add, as another said, he is just now ramping up after coming back from injury and has see enough targets the last couple of weeks to give hope.
I was thinking more in terms of 2WR leagues, but yes 3WR leagues or 12-team leagues makes sense. I loved Floyd in Arizona before Brown took his spot. I'm just afraid Floyd will get a TD every other week but in between he'll put up 3 FF pts

One could argue Moncrief is one of them. Really depends on their role. If he's getting 7-8 targets a week with a priority in the red zone then that's really all that matters from a fantasy perspective, right?

The thing with Floyd is that his injury led to a slow start, but 7 targets a game is equivalent to 112 on a 16 game season. If he can make that his norm (a sizable "if") then there are plenty of people in lineups right now that he'll outperform or at least pace. Guys such as Moncrief, Hurns, Cooks, V Jax, Randle, Wright, Garcon... and if he's getting TDs and it is a standard league, guys like Maclin and Landry will struggle. Floyd is only one year removed from putting up over 1000 yards on 7.06 targets per game.
Isn't Moncrief now the 2nd option in Indy behind TY? If Floyd were WR2 behind Fitz, I'd be all over him. But he's not. He relinquished that position to a better WR in John Brown.

This is an excellent point. One I was alluding to when I said it depended on the role.

Arizona is on pace for 525 passing attempts, only 85 RB targets and only 61 TE targets. 368 targets to the WRs seems quite high and it will only go up if Arizona is forced to pass more. By (random) comparison, NE is on pace for 630 PA, but with only 317 WR targets. GB is on pace for 307. Sea 229. The bottom line is that if things continue, there are at least 23 targets per game for the WRs and the 4th WR has gotten very little action since Floyd's return. I think 7 targets per game will be commonplace for him going forward.

This is an excellent point. One I was alluding to when I said it depended on the role.

Arizona is on pace for 525 passing attempts, only 85 RB targets and only 61 TE targets. 368 targets to the WRs seems quite high and it will only go up if Arizona is forced to pass more. By (random) comparison, NE is on pace for 630 PA, but with only 317 WR targets. GB is on pace for 307. Sea 229. The bottom line is that if things continue, there are at least 23 targets per game for the WRs and the 4th WR has gotten very little action since Floyd's return. I think 7 targets per game will be commonplace for him going forward.
Again, that's great for a WR3. But if you're starting only 2, I think you want more than a ceiling of 6-7 targets.

I echo this. Clearly every scenario is different. But as long as Palmer is at the helm and assuming a league is starting 3 wrs or going at least 30-40 wrs deep into the pool, Floyd is clearly in the conversation as to who is startable. Throw in byes and injuries and he is clearly rosterable in many leagues.Hmmm... I am rereading and see that you say week-to-week. I spoke askance at your comment. But even so, I would say that for many owners, for the reasons mentioned, Floyd will be in the thinking process for week-to-week starter. Should add, as another said, he is just now ramping up after coming back from injury and has see enough targets the last couple of weeks to give hope.
I was thinking more in terms of 2WR leagues, but yes 3WR leagues or 12-team leagues makes sense. I loved Floyd in Arizona before Brown took his spot. I'm just afraid Floyd will get a TD every other week but in between he'll put up 3 FF pts
Really? That's a bizarre assumption. No one on a FF board should be playing in 2WR leagues. The only leagues I've ever been in with 2WR were casual work leagues where the people were blindly drafting off of cheat sheets they printed out right before the draft. I don't mean to be combative, but assuming anyone is talking about a 2WR league is like assuming they are talking about a TD only league. Why assume an abnormal setup?

Isn't Moncrief now the 2nd option in Indy behind TY? If Floyd were WR2 behind Fitz, I'd be all over him. But he's not. He relinquished that position to a better WR in John Brown.
I think AJ is still outsnapping Moncrief. It's a little premature to call Brown a better WR. Either way, Brown has his merits but at 5'10" he's not going to get red zone looks over the 6'3" Floyd. It is very possible that Floyd and Brown score similarly going forward. But that player vs. player doesn't really matter. All that matters are FF points and points come from targets. 7 targets per game is what a lot of guys in starting lineups (12 teams, 3WR) are getting.

Again, that's great for a WR3. But if you're starting only 2, I think you want more than a ceiling of 6-7 targets.
I'd estimate that, of people on this board, 99%+ of them play in 3WR (or more) leagues. 2WR leagues are rare these days and are best reserved for people just dipping their toes into fantasy football. Hell, the SSL and PDSL leagues are 3WR leagues and they are 16 teams. Playing 2WR in 2015 should be a crime.

I'd estimate that, of people on this board, 99%+ of them play in 3WR (or more) leagues. 2WR leagues are rare these days and are best reserved for people just dipping their toes into fantasy football. Hell, the SSL and PDSL leagues are 3WR leagues and they are 16 teams. Playing 2WR in 2015 should be a crime.
Let's not go elitist in a hobby forum.

Let's not go elitist in a hobby forum.
I'm not. Just stating what I think are facts: almost nobody - on a FF forum - plays in 2 WR leagues, so it is a silly assumption to make. Leagues with 10 or less managers and 2WR or less are typically reserved for players that are too casual to bother discussing strategy on a forum. I think 90%+ of people in this forum play in leagues that are 12 team and the most common setup is 1QB/3WR/2RB/1TE with most leagues throwing in a flex or two - making it possible to start 4 or 5 WR. I think Floyd is a decent WR3 and a great WR4.

I'm not. Just stating what I think are facts: almost nobody - on a FF forum - plays in 2 WR leagues, so it is a silly assumption to make. Leagues with 10 or less managers and 2WR or less are typically reserved for players that are too casual to bother discussing strategy on a forum. I think 90%+ of people in this forum play in leagues that are 12 team and the most common setup is 1QB/3WR/2RB/1TE with most leagues throwing in a flex or two - making it possible to start 4 or 5 WR. I think Floyd is a decent WR3 and a great WR4.
I don't know anyone who plays in league that requires 3 WR. Mine all have a large number of flex spots so people end up start 4+ WR's but it's not required.

I don't know anyone who plays in league that requires 3 WR. Mine all have a large number of flex spots so people end up start 4+ WR's but it's not required.
Well, that's the same effect. That's why I said the setup above was most common... meaning kind of a minority majority due to all the possible variations, but the result is the same... on any given Sunday, there are at least 36 WRs started in each league. 10 teams x 2WR = 20 WRs is pretty rare in this forum I would think, and thus an odd assumption for that guy to make in regard to Floyd's value.

Floyd had 8 targets last week, so his ceiling isn't 6-7. There's also the possibility that Fitzgerald's elite WR1 pace will slow and Floyd has plenty of fantasy potential going forward in this elite offense.

Palmer was ALL OVER Floyd near the endzone last week. I bet that turns into the trend.

Thu, Oct 29

The Arizona Republic's Kent Somers said "there are indications" the Cardinals will hold out John Brown (hamstrings) this week.

Advice: "We’re trying to get him well instead of aggravating him," coach Bruce Arians said. Brown has played through the injuries the last two weeks, but the Cardinals have a bye following their game against Cleveland and could take advantage of the opportunity to get him two weeks of rest. Brown's status will be updated following Thursday's practice.

Started Floyd last week and will be starting him again with confidence
I'm starting him on one league, but he's on the bench in another. Hard to start him over Antonio Brown, AJ Green and Bryant.
I would consider starting him over Bryant this week if John Brown is out. How much do you trust Matt Cassel or that foot? That's a hell of a trio you've got there, though.
Sorry, Martavius Bryant. Starting he and Brown has done well for me in the past

I'm starting him on one league, but he's on the bench in another. Hard to start him over Antonio Brown, AJ Green and Bryant.
I would consider starting him over Bryant this week if John Brown is out. How much do you trust Matt Cassel or that foot? That's a hell of a trio you've got there, though.
thats a lot of WR`s in one game ...hope its a shootout

Wed, Nov 4

Coach Bruce Arians said Michael Floyd is "probably going to take back" the starting job from John Brown opposite Larry Fitzgerald.

Advice: "[Floyd] got hurt," Arians said. "[brown] took his job & now he's probably going to take it back." Without further context, this can be read two ways. Either, Arians is saying Floyd is regaining his starting job after stringing strong weeks together, or coach is saying Brown will "take back" the job when healthy coming out of the bye. We read it as the former, with Floyd taking over as the No. 2 receiver. Either way, both players are going to play a ton because Arizona runs predominantly three-wide sets. It's just evidence that Floyd has reemerged as a strong WR3. Brown remains a WR2/3.

thats a lot of WR`s in one game ...hope its a shootout
I went with a flex RB rather than Bryant at WR in one league and started Floyd in my other league. I won both. I'm happy...

Week 10 Highlights: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000581185/Michael-Floyd-highlights

Will be interesting to see how severe that hamstring injury is. He's been on fire. Likely top 5 WR in all formats in points per game for the last four games.

Thinking long-term:

http://blog.azcardinals.com/2015/11/16/late-night-seahawks-aftermath/

The way Floyd is playing, it’s really going to make for some interesting choices about him going into the offseason (Floyd is under contract for 2016 at $7 million, money that is not guaranteed.) The way this offense is playing together, it’d be hard not to keep the Fitz-Floyd-Smokey trio together.
I think they probably keep him for $7M next year. Given how cheap John Brown will be, it'll be hard to swallow paying Fitz and Floyd so much, but in the scheme of things $7M for a quality WR isn't bad. Here are a few contracts from this year for reference:

Maclin - 5/$55M

Torrey Smith - 5/$40M

Andre Johnson - 3/$21M

Bowe - 2/$12.5

Cobb - 4/$40M

Crabtree - 1/$3M

Harvin - 1/$6M

It's nice if you can get a steal like Crabtree (although he had a ton of question marks), but comparing him to the rest of those guys, $7M seems like a really good deal given the high level of play since slowly coming back from injury.

I would have to think that Floyd would be encouraged to hold out if he continues to put up the type of numbers he has and none of that money is guaranteed

He definitely played ahead of John Brown last night, although not sure if Brown is 100% yet. Seems Arians comments a few weeks back may hold true, Floyd has retaken the #2 job. Really really hoping the hammy issue isn't anything serious. If it is I could see Jaron Brown making a decent impact, especially if Johm Brown is still hampered with hammys..... Too many J. Browns

I would have to think that Floyd would be encouraged to hold out if he continues to put up the type of numbers he has and none of that money is guaranteed
I think it just means they can cut him before the season and save $7M. At this point, that appears to be hovering around a 0% probability.

I think it just means they can cut him before the season and save $7M. At this point, that appears to be hovering around a 0% probability.
Yep. Far more likely they look to resign him to a more cap friendly deal averaging in the 5-6/yr area in the off-season.

Yep. Far more likely they look to resign him to a more cap friendly deal averaging in the 5-6/yr area in the off-season.
Man, you think they'll be able to get a lower average cap hit than $7M? Torrey Smith is getting $8M/year and his contract year was not very good. If Floyd finishes strong, he's going to look to get paid or at least take the $7M and take his chances in free agency in 2017.

Fitzgerald's cap hit is going to be crazy. That's almost Calvin Johnson money. I don't see how they can keep Larry past 2016.

Man, you think they'll be able to get a lower average cap hit than $7M? Torrey Smith is getting $8M/year and his contract year was not very good. If Floyd finishes strong, he's going to look to get paid or at least take the $7M and take his chances in free agency in 2017.

Fitzgerald's cap hit is going to be crazy. That's almost Calvin Johnson money. I don't see how they can keep Larry past 2016.
Yeah, I see Fitz getting a 3 year deal to reduce his number over Floyd getting a new deal this year. They will let him play for that $7 mill next year and then work out a deal to start in 2017

Michael Floyd (hamstring) is not practicing Wednesday.
John Brown (hamstring) also missed Wednesday's practice. Brown's issue has lingered for weeks, and Floyd went down late in the Sunday night win over the Seahawks in Week 10. Both are legitimately questionable for Sunday against the Bengals. Jaron Brown and J.J. Nelson are the Nos. 4 and 5 WRs.

Jaron Brown looks good for a one week spot start maybe, sucks neither of these guys can stay healthy.

Arians did call Floyd "day to day", whatever that means. If it was serious you would think he would have used a different term.... is Arians known for playing head games with the media liek the John Foxes and Belichecks of the world?

Also, am I crazy to think Floyd, when healthy, will be an every week WR2 with WR1 upside?

I see the Fitz/Floyd combo like Roddy/Julio 2012...... AZ can easily support two stud WRs.

Arians did call Floyd "day to day", whatever that means. If it was serious you would think he would have used a different term.... is Arians known for playing head games with the media liek the John Foxes and Belichecks of the world?

Also, am I crazy to think Floyd, when healthy, will be an every week WR2 with WR1 upside?

I see the Fitz/Floyd combo like Roddy/Julio 2012...... AZ can easily support two stud WRs.
Not at all. In 0ppr, he's the #2 WR over the past 4 weeks in average ppg. And he wasn't even a starter until the past two weeks. His numbers are skewed due to TDs, but he putting up quite a few yards as well. He's the deep threat and preferred red zone target in the most prolific passing offense in the NFL... you wouldn't be crazy to think of him as a top 12 WR when healthy.

With the lack of TE and RB targets, I could see Fitz, Floyd, and Brown all being top 24 WRs for the rest of the year should they all be healthy. If one of them misses time, Jaron Brown seems poised to fill in very well. He caught 3 passes for 38 yards in the 10 minutes that Floyd missed in the 4th quarter last week.

Cardinals coach Bruce Arians stated Friday that Michael Floyd (hamstring, questionable) will be a game-time decision Sunday night against the Bengals.
Floyd did not practice all week and may be utilized only as a decoy against Cincinnati. "If Floyd can run, we can use him," said Arians. Fantasy owners can't be optimistic about Floyd's chances of producing, even in an improved matchup against a Bengals secondary missing Pacman Jones (foot, doubtful).

^ this could probably be the worst scenario for fantasy purposes. Hoping they just shut him down to fully heal. If that were to happen, Jaron Brown would creep into the Wr3 range I imagine as John Brown is still not 100% with his hammys.

Definitely not good as we have seen Arizona trot out john brown to be a decoy when his hammy was bad. Could see the same with Floyd this week.

Did a search and couldn't really find a good thread about Floyd.

Wondering what people really think of Michael Floyd's long term value?

Had a few injuries, seems to be used primarily as a deep threat in Arizona. Free agent after this season and will be, what, 26 next year?

Is he likely to be a forever a boom or bust WR2 at best? What are the chances, at this point in his career, he develops into a WR1?

Users who are viewing this thread