What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

"Black Quarterback" ... hard to believe it ever mattered (1 Viewer)

Raider Nation

Devil's Advocate
Bought a bunch of old football books and magazines on eBay.

This was one of them. 1975 Pro Yearbook. Got to the L.A. Rams preview and read this.

That may sound tame on the surface, but could you imagine a publication writing that today?

"Carolina's season hinges on black quarterback Cam Newton." It's unthinkable.

And frankly, this being written less than 40 years ago is fairly shameful.

To prove the NFL was serious about its stupidity, just three years later Warren Moon went undrafted because his skin was too dark. It took 5 Grey Cups and 21,000+ passing yards before they deemed him worthy of playing in their league.

The black is a better athlete to begin with because he's been bred to be that way, because of his high thighs and big thighs that goes up into his back, and they can jump higher and run faster because of their bigger thighs and he's bred to be the better athlete because this goes back all the way to the Civil War when during the slave trade the slave owner would breed his big black to his big woman so that he could have a big black kid.

The black is a better athlete to begin with because he's been bred to be that way, because of his high thighs and big thighs that goes up into his back, and they can jump higher and run faster because of their bigger thighs and he's bred to be the better athlete because this goes back all the way to the Civil War when during the slave trade the slave owner would breed his big black to his big woman so that he could have a big black kid.
Thanks, Jimmy.

Should have referred to James Harris as the urban quarterback, or the Nipsey Russel-esque quarterback. The reader could have put 1 and 1 together.

After Doug Williams was drafted it was 5 years without another black QB entering the NFL. In 1983 the only black QB in the NFL was Vince Evans and when he left for the USFL there would have been none, except Warren Moon came to the NFL.

Should have referred to James Harris as the urban quarterback, or the Nipsey Russel-esque quarterback. The reader could have put 1 and 1 together.
You see this cat James Harris is a bad mother--(Shut your mouth)But I'm talkin' about James Harris(Then we can dig it)He's a complicated manbut no one understands him but his woman(James Harris)

Fennis said:
After Doug Williams was drafted it was 5 years without another black QB entering the NFL. In 1983 the only black QB in the NFL was Vince Evans and when he left for the USFL there would have been none, except Warren Moon came to the NFL.
Nickie Hall was with the Packers in 1981. :nerd:

Last edited by a moderator:
Any of you old enough to clearly remember James Harris playing ball?

I had this card when I was a kid (still do, somewhere) but I was a wee lad when he was in his prime. I do remember a cannon arm, though.

McGarnicle said:
They also can't swim because their bones are heavier and they can't ski because they are missing bones in their knees.

Abraham, on 31 May 2013 - 23:55, said:

Raider Nation, on 31 May 2013 - 23:50, said:

I had this card when I was a kid (still do, somewhere) but I was a wee lad when he was in his prime. I do remember a cannon arm, though.
I remember Major Harris.
I was at WVU when he was there. He was amazing. Couldn't read a defense, but you couldn't touch him in a phone booth and he had a big, accurate arm.The play where he turns the wrong way on a called run and then makes five Penn State defenders miss as he goes 30 yards untouched is an all-time favorite. He basically just runs through their entire team.

Raider Nation said:
To prove the NFL was serious about its stupidity, just three years later Warren Moon went undrafted because his skin was too dark. It took 5 Grey Cups and 21,000+ passing yards before they deemed him worthy of playing in their league.
Is that like the stupidity of some NFL execs who said Andy Dalton's hair was too red?

Raider Nation said:
Is that like the stupidity of some NFL execs who said Andy Dalton's hair was too red?
Easy there. Let's not take this thread in an ugly direction, guy.

I would have been about 6 but first started getting interested in pro football when I was 9, 1972. Don't remember him.

Just this year some scouting report compared Geno Smith to a combination of Aaron Brooks and Akili Smith. Can't imagine why the "scout" chose those two...

The racism is still around, it's just gone underground.

Several years back I used to read a Steelers blog site rather religiously, and when Kordell Stewart was the QB, I couldn't believe the amount of racism directed in his direction from Steeler fans- especially when he struggled. Kordell was mediocre, but the comments were just awful.

Last edited by a moderator:
So who are the top 5 best black QBs and where do they rank all-time? :popcorn:
Moon, Cunningham, McNair, McNabb, Vick in some orderWilliams was a pathetic postseason QB until the '87 postseason. He was erratic in the regular season. Culpepper was not good long enough.

Raider Nation said:

This was one of them. 1975 Pro Yearbook. Got to the L.A. Rams preview and read this.

That may sound tame on the surface, but could you imagine a publication writing that today?

Why would you be surprised? Until ~1970 the big southern colleges wouldn't even let black players at any position be on the team.

Raider Nation said:

Why would you be surprised? Until ~1970 the big southern colleges wouldn't even let black players at any position be on the team.
Not sure what that has to do with professional football.Marlin Briscoe played 11 games at QB (starting five of them) for the Broncos in 1968.

Raider Nation said:

Not sure what that has to do with professional football.Marlin Briscoe played 11 games at QB (starting five of them) for the Broncos in 1968.
Let me re-phrase. Why are you surprised that racism existed in sports at all levels in the mid 1970's? Maybe you're not old enough to remember but there were plenty of people back then that speculated that "some people" thought blacks weren't smart enough to be QBs.

Raider Nation said:

Let me re-phrase. Why are you surprised that racism existed in sports at all levels in the mid 1970's? Maybe you're not old enough to remember but there were plenty of people back then that speculated that "some people" thought blacks weren't smart enough to be QBs.
I am old enough, and I believe you may have confused shame for surprise. It's sad that a man's skin color ever needed to be pointed out, like his 40 time, accuracy or leadership intangibles.

Raider Nation said:

I had the 1976 edition. It contained the worst team prediction until the 1987 SI baseball preview (Indians to win AL East). The Bills were predicted to go 10-4. They went 2-12.

The racism is still around, it's just gone underground. Several years back I used to read a Steelers blog site rather religiously, and when Kordell Stewart was the QB, I couldn't believe the amount of racism directed in his direction from Steeler fans- especially when he struggled. Kordell was mediocre, but the comments were just awful.
That's because he was a , not because he was a

BusterTBronco said:
Just out of curiosity, would 2013 be considered a good year or a bad year for african american QB's in the NFL? I would have to say the latter and I think it will show in the 2014 NFL draft.
So two of the hottest teams in the NFL are led by black QBs. Seattle and Carolina. Both those QBs are credited with getting their teams where they are. You think it's been a bad year for black QBs?

The racism is still around, it's just gone underground. Several years back I used to read a Steelers blog site rather religiously, and when Kordell Stewart was the QB, I couldn't believe the amount of racism directed in his direction from Steeler fans- especially when he struggled. Kordell was mediocre, but the comments were just awful.
That's because Steeler fans are the worst people in the world.

BusterTBronco said:
Just out of curiosity, would 2013 be considered a good year or a bad year for african american QB's in the NFL? I would have to say the latter and I think it will show in the 2014 NFL draft.
Who cares? The point here is that it's fundamentally stupid to differentiate between Cam Newton and Andrew Luck just because of their different races.

Users who are viewing this thread