What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

"Black Quarterback" ... hard to believe it ever mattered (1 Viewer)

That may sound tame on the surface, but could you imagine a publication writing that today?

"Carolina's season hinges on black quarterback Cam Newton." It's unthinkable.
Unthinkable for quarterbacks? Yeah, probably. For coaches, GMs, and owners? Not unthinkable at all. Peter King writes about that kind of stuff all the time.

BusterTBronco said:
Just out of curiosity, would 2013 be considered a good year or a bad year for african american QB's in the NFL? I would have to say the latter and I think it will show in the 2014 NFL draft.
There were more black starting QBs in the NFL this year than ever before.

On average, black quarterbacks have outperformed white quarterbacks in 2013.

BusterTBronco said:
BusterTBronco said:
Just out of curiosity, would 2013 be considered a good year or a bad year for african american QB's in the NFL? I would have to say the latter and I think it will show in the 2014 NFL draft.
So two of the hottest teams in the NFL are led by black QBs. Seattle and Carolina. Both those QBs are credited with getting their teams where they are. You think it's been a bad year for black QBs?
I'm not sure that Russell Wilson really qualifies. At any rate, yes, it has been a bad year for black QB's. RG3, Geno Smith, Terrell Pryor to name a few.

Seattle and Carolina are where they are because they have the two best defenses in the NFL. Last time I checked, Wilson and Newton don't play on defense.
That must be why both those QBs are in the conversation for league MVP.

BusterTBronco said:
So two of the hottest teams in the NFL are led by black QBs. Seattle and Carolina. Both those QBs are credited with getting their teams where they are. You think it's been a bad year for black QBs?
I think even addressing it as black vs. not black is dumb, we are beyond that. But strictly looking at the numbers:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/qbr

36 QBs have qualified for this and 8/36 are African-American if my counting is correct. So almost 25%. That's a decent percentage but I would have thought it was highger (Vick is no longer a starter but I'm still counting him since he qualified according to this).

Rankings - 7, 8, 15, 16, 28, 29, 34, 36

2 good QBs, 2 average and 4 awful. RGIII is secure in his position so let's flip him with Vick and you have 4 African-American QBs who are average to pretty good. I'm not sure any of them are considered elite right now. Each of the 3 who appear to be heading towards the playoffs teams are perceived to be getting there based on defense and not offense, but all 3 are more than capable.

Overall it's kind of a mixed bag IMO - and I'm way too lazy to look up previous years.

BusterTBronco said:
There were more black starting QBs in the NFL this year than ever before.

On average, black quarterbacks have outperformed white quarterbacks in 2013.
Is this based on any numbers at all or just opinion?

Either way, this is a stupid argument, I don't care what ethnicity a QB is, I care if he can win games and perform well.

BusterTBronco said:
Combine that with the suck of RG3 and Geno, then toss in Pryor losing his job, Vick losing his job and Freeman losing his twice to white guys, it doesn't look that good.

2 are firmly entrenched, 1 skating on thin ice (Geno), 1 taking a big ole #### (RG3) and 3 now sitting on the pine.

BusterTBronco said:
Combine that with the suck of RG3 and Geno, then toss in Pryor losing his job, Vick losing his job and Freeman losing his twice to white guys, it doesn't look that good.

2 are firmly entrenched, 1 skating on thin ice (Geno), 1 taking a big ole #### (RG3) and 3 now sitting on the pine.
I believe some white QBs have lost or will be losing their jobs as well.

BusterTBronco said:
Stop hiding behind questions. You know what you want to say.

For me at least, it's gotten to the point where I don't even notice the color of a QB's skin anymore, which is a good thing.

Who was the best black QB ever?
I honestly am starting to believe that he currently plays for the Seattle Seahawks.
You ve got to be kidding.
You must not be a regular in the college football threads. Whatever happened in the last 5 minutes, tim thinks it's the greatest EVER.
I could have said Winston. :lol:

Greatest ever? I dunno. Probably Moon. I did love McNair though. And Cunningham. But it's probably Moon.

Another one who deserves some consideration is Air McNair. He got old/bad quick but he was really good for a while.

I honestly am starting to believe that he currently plays for the Seattle Seahawks.
You ve got to be kidding.
You must not be a regular in the college football threads. Whatever happened in the last 5 minutes, tim thinks it's the greatest EVER.
I could have said Winston. :lol:

Greatest ever? I dunno. Probably Moon. I did love McNair though. And Cunningham. But it's probably Moon.
It's definitely Moon, tim. If he weren't forced, comically, to toil in the CFL, his NFL totals would be obscene.

5) McNabb

4) Williams

3) McNair

2) Cunningham

1) Akili Smith

I expect Wilson to def be on this list within 3 or 4 years

Last edited by a moderator:
To prove the NFL was serious about its stupidity, just three years later Warren Moon went undrafted because his skin was too dark. It took 5 Grey Cups and 21,000+ passing yards before they deemed him worthy of playing in their league.
One of the great injustices of sports history. How could you not wind up embittered?

To prove the NFL was serious about its stupidity, just three years later Warren Moon went undrafted because his skin was too dark. It took 5 Grey Cups and 21,000+ passing yards before they deemed him worthy of playing in their league.
One of the great injustices of sports history. How could you not wind up embittered?
Because at least he got to play in the NFL. He can be thankful he wasn't one of the great black athletes that never got the shot.

If he had no perspective, he'd be bitter, sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Warren Moon
Easily.
He threw maybe the prettiest ball I've ever seen. Always a perfect spiral. Jeff George too.
Jeff George threw some of the nicest passes ever.
Quite often to the other team, but man were his throwing mechanics a beautiful thing to watch.
Quintessential million dollar arm and ten cent head.

Users who are viewing this thread