What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

"Black Quarterback" ... hard to believe it ever mattered (1 Viewer)

I think Geno Smith could've been a better QB if he wasn't drafted by the Jets.
Yes, instead of worrying about the Qb's color maybe more time should be spent on what team they get stuck on.
I think about that all the time and I rarely see it discussed. Imagine Tom Brady was drafted by the Raiders or Jamarcus Russell with the Pats. Maybe both careers turn out dramatically different.

Yes, instead of worrying about the Qb's color maybe more time should be spent on what team they get stuck on.
I think about that all the time and I rarely see it discussed. Imagine Tom Brady was drafted by the Raiders or Jamarcus Russell with the Pats. Maybe both careers turn out dramatically different.
Brady would have been fine no matter where he went. The rising tide, and all that. Russell had no work ethic. There's no switch to flip for that.

I've always imagined Brady still sitting on the bench waiting for some crap team to actually play him.

Brady would have been fine no matter where he went. The rising tide, and all that. Russell had no work ethic. There's no switch to flip for that.
One could also say that none of the better teams maybe would of even drafted the syrup king.

:angry:

I reject that notion. Russell would not have lasted long had the Raiders passed. Kiper called him the second coming of Elway.

Unfortunately, there's no way to measure heart at the combine.

I reject that notion. Russell would not have lasted long had the Raiders passed. Kiper called him the second coming of Elway.

point is they didn't pass, just like the pats quit passing on their guy.

I remember when there was a quarterback controversy between James Harris and Dan Fouts.

I shook James Harris's hand at training camp. Maybe it was because I was seven at the time, but I remember him being huge. (I also remember how much more accessible the players were after practice than they are today.)

Maybe you're right but I wouldn't be 100% sure. Some guys need more coaching and veteran leadership. Dez Bryant had a babysitter assigned by the Cowboys until he grew up. Would every team have that kind of system in place? If he was drafted by the Bengals he'd probably be in prison right now.

point is they didn't pass, just like the pats quit passing on their guy.
What means the bolded? I've been drinking.
the Pats themselves waited to the 6th round for Brady. And I've also been drinking.

Yep. Someone was going to take him soon after that if the Raiders didn't. I remember his last Sugar Bowl. The guy had all the tools.

I remember when there was a quarterback controversy between James Harris and Dan Fouts.

I shook James Harris's hand at training camp. Maybe it was because I was seven at the time, but I remember him being huge. (I also remember how much more accessible the players were after practice than they are today.)
I still have a couple of his football cards. He was one of my favorite QBs when I was very small, mainly because I loved the Rams uniforms.

I tend to agree with you, but it's also really interesting to think about what would have happened if Mo Lewis hadn't knocked out Drew Bledsoe. There's no way that Brady was ever seeing the field for the Pats as long as Bledsoe was the starter, and without any game film, I wonder what his free agent market would've looked like.

I tend to agree with you, but it's also really interesting to think about what would have happened if Mo Lewis hadn't knocked out Drew Bledsoe. There's no way that Brady was ever seeing the field for the Pats as long as Bledsoe was the starter, and without any game film, I wonder what his free agent market would've looked like.
This used to be my view as well, but some Pats fans on the board convinced me a long time ago that Brady would have been on the field sooner than many people think - injury or not, and despite Bledsoe's huge contract - if the team kept playing uninspired football. I think Belichick loved what he saw from Brady in practice.

BusterTBronco said:
Just out of curiosity, would 2013 be considered a good year or a bad year for african american QB's in the NFL? I would have to say the latter and I think it will show in the 2014 NFL draft.
Why would you consider it a bad year for black QBs? As some have rightly pointed out, both Russell Wilson and Cam Newton are leading two of the best teams in the league. Sure RG3 is having a disappointing year and Geno Smith hit the wall hard, but the percentage of black QBs playing poorly this year is likely no worse than the percentage of white QBs playing poorly. Plus the idea of black QBs having a bad year could be made moot by a black QB hoisting the Lombardi Troph at the end of the season, and I think Russell Wilson has an excellent chance to do just that.

This used to be my view as well, but some Pats fans on the board convinced me a long time ago that Brady would have been on the field sooner than many people think - injury or not, and despite Bledsoe's huge contract - if the team kept playing uninspired football. I think Belichick loved what he saw from Brady in practice.
I'm a Pats fan, and I agree with those other Pats fans. Belichick loves hard workers, and he was effusive with praise of Brady's work ethic very early on.Belichick also hates guys who turn the ball over (see Stevan Ridley's fate), and Bledsoe had a penchant for throwing inopportune picks.

Also remember that even under Belichick, the Pats were only playing about .500 ball with Bledsoe. Perfectionist Belichick would not tolerate that for much longer.

Thinking through the years, I've never owned a black QB on any of my fantasy teams, not even as a backup, even though are some I would have liked (Vick, Culpepper I remember wishing I had at times), I guess I got outbid or outdrafted.

Does that make me racist?

BusterTBronco said:
Just out of curiosity, would 2013 be considered a good year or a bad year for african american QB's in the NFL? I would have to say the latter and I think it will show in the 2014 NFL draft.
Why would you consider it a bad year for black QBs? As some have rightly pointed out, both Russell Wilson and Cam Newton are leading two of the best teams in the league. Sure RG3 is having a disappointing year and Geno Smith hit the wall hard, but the percentage of black QBs playing poorly this year is likely no worse than the percentage of white QBs playing poorly. Plus the idea of black QBs having a bad year could be made moot by a black QB hoisting the Lombardi Troph at the end of the season, and I think Russell Wilson has an excellent chance to do just that.
This.

To prove the NFL was serious about its stupidity, just three years later Warren Moon went undrafted because his skin was too dark. It took 5 Grey Cups and 21,000+ passing yards before they deemed him worthy of playing in their league.
Crazy isn't. A qb with Moon's tools nowadays would be a once in a generation prospect.

I think race can play a part in decisions. Newton versus Gabbert. Gabbert had the 'look' of a QB but not the stats to justify his draft status.

On the other hand, I remember dudes slamming Welker when he was traded to New England.

I backed my Brinks truck up to owners who doubted Welker and Newton.

Doop

Doop

Doop

Last edited by a moderator:
Raider Nation said:
njherdfan said:
I was a big Bledsoe fan back then but I think this is right. Bledsoe was still making too many dumb mistakes that cost them games and I believe Belichick saw a much smarter player in Brady who could put up similar numbers for far less money. I'm not sure even Belichick at that time saw Brady becoming what he became but Bledsoe clearly wasn't the answer.

BusterTBronco said:
Interesting contrast of styles in tonight's Saints-Panthers game.

Drew Brees looks great!

Cam Newton? Not so much.
Geno Smith outplayed Matt McGloin, so it evens things out.

It is hard to think skin color ever mattered. It's not like hair color or something legit. We are seeing the sad result of what happens when NFL team tries to break tradition and puts a redhead at QB.

BusterTBronco said:
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but NFL teams want an Andrew Luck. They don't want a RG3.
We get it. You keep bumping this thread because you really, really hate black people.

Anything else? :yawn:

Last edited by a moderator:
Bought a bunch of old football books and magazines on eBay.

This was one of them. 1975 Pro Yearbook. Got to the L.A. Rams preview and read this.

That may sound tame on the surface, but could you imagine a publication writing that today?

"Carolina's season hinges on black quarterback Cam Newton." It's unthinkable.

And frankly, this being written less than 40 years ago is fairly shameful.
I had the 1976 edition. It contained the worst team prediction until the 1987 SI baseball preview (Indians to win AL East). The Bills were predicted to go 10-4. They went 2-12.
Off topic but I am sure a few magazines matched that with Texans and Falcons predictions this year.

Was a big fan of Doug Williams back in the day.

-QG

Speaking of how Moon's career would have played out differently in later times, I think Reggie Collier from Southern Miss is a guy that could have been a pretty big-time player had he been born a bit later. He had prototypical NFL QB size with a big arm and legit WR speed. He briefly jumped into the Danny White-Gary Hogeboom merry-go-round in Dallas, but never really got much of a shot.

As far as physical ability (arm and running ability), maybe a shade behind Randall Cunningham, and then again maybe not. Probably better top end speed.

There's something to be said that Brady stayed on the roster even though the Pats were carrying 3 or 4 QBs. During Belichick's tenure they've mainly run with 2. Obviously he jumped quick but the Pats didn't risk him to waivers at any time.

Users who are viewing this thread