What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

"Black Quarterback" ... hard to believe it ever mattered (1 Viewer)

7 starting Black QBs... I'd take them in this order, although I understand the argument for Wilson to be number 1. I'd bet within 4-6 years there are at least 12-16 on this list. I'd also take the top 3 on this list over at least 2/3 of the remaining QBs.

Cam

Wilson

Kaep

Bridgewater

RG3

EJ

Geno
Really impressed when I watched EJ Manuel last year. I think he may rise to the top of this list.
More than half these guys lost their jobs in one year. Crazy turnover
Lost 4 but gained 2, Winston and Tyler, though we don't know if Tyler will still be starting next year.

Also Cam may just win the MVP this year.... which I'm not sure has ever been done by a black QB?
Tyler isn't black.
Ha, ok, good point, I'm not even sure he's alive, take him off the list.

7 starting Black QBs... I'd take them in this order, although I understand the argument for Wilson to be number 1. I'd bet within 4-6 years there are at least 12-16 on this list. I'd also take the top 3 on this list over at least 2/3 of the remaining QBs.

Cam

Wilson

Kaep

Bridgewater

RG3

EJ

Geno
Really impressed when I watched EJ Manuel last year. I think he may rise to the top of this list.
Lost 4 but gained 2, Winston and Tyler, though we don't know if Tyler will still be starting next year.

Also Cam may just win the MVP this year.... which I'm not sure has ever been done by a black QB?
I assume you mean Tyrod Taylor, not Tyler, and he will DEFINITELY be the starter at least to start the season. He would have to absolutely implode not to keep the job IMO. He was a top 10 QB this year in a bunch of categories.
Of course I meant Taylor. I was just reacting to something I read maybe a month ago, I defer to the Bills fan in all ways on that. And he was the best season by a Bills QB since..... is it fair to say Kelly?

Cam

Wilson

Kaep

Bridgewater

RG3

EJ

Geno

I assume you mean Tyrod Taylor, not Tyler, and he will DEFINITELY be the starter at least to start the season. He would have to absolutely implode not to keep the job IMO. He was a top 10 QB this year in a bunch of categories.
Of course I meant Taylor. I was just reacting to something I read maybe a month ago, I defer to the Bills fan in all ways on that. And he was the best season by a Bills QB since..... is it fair to say Kelly?
One could argue that Drew Bledsoe had a better season, but Tyrod actually set several franchise QB records this year.

FootballOutsiders have him as #1 in QBR under pressure for 2015.

RGIII obviously showed that 1 season doesn't necessarily tell us a whole lot, but Tyrod's year reminded me a lot of Russell Wilson's rookie year. A guy that nobody expected to win the job heading into camp. A guy that everyone had low expectations for once he won the job. A QB mainly tasked to be a game manager, but was crazy efficient when actually throwing the ball. Good leadership skills. Good under pressure. Nice deep ball.

The question for Taylor is whether he can be consistent, show growth, and show that he can keep that level of efficiency with an increase in passing opportunities (if the Bills would ever consider that).

The RG3 implosion was astonishing. His story might get interesting again, depending on where he signs and if he's learned anything from his mistakes.
World internet crisis scenario: Redskins cut RG III. Browns cut Johnny Football. Cowboys sign RG III and Manziel. Internet breaks.

Cam

Wilson

Kaep

Bridgewater

RG3

EJ

Geno
Lost 4 but gained 2, Winston and Tayler, though we don't know if Tayler will still be starting next year.

Pretty sure I've heard Taylor will be getting a new contract as a starting QB.

Another banner year for the black man. 3 black QBs in the NFC playoffs, who only were able to be defeated by another black QB. It's at the point now when you have to question whether or not being white is a detriment at the QB position.

Imagine how many great black quarterbacks there would have been if we didn't have this horribly racist history.
I think that goes to say for pretty much every profession.
What if Martin Luther King Jr played quarterback? That would have been awesome.
Jesse Jackson played quarterback. One of the reasons he transferred from Illinois to North Carolina A&T was that Illinois, apparently, wanted him to play another position instead.

Are there going to be any black starting QB's next year besides Cam, Wilson, and Bridgewater?

Really not a fan of the half of Kaepernick that sits during the anthem. And I think we all know which half that is.
He hasn't sat for the anthem after the first game that the press noticed it. He has been kneeling since that time, at the suggestion of an ex-Green Beret he is friends with.

BusterTBronco said:
Well fellas.  2016 was another banner year.  We'll probably have another black quarterback superbowl champion this year.
You expecting Brett Hundley to replace Aaron Rodgers, I take it?

Still hard to believe this ever, ever mattered. An embarrassment at the highest level. 

Warren Moon, here's your HoF pass from me.  

Still have the Superbowl Wheaties box with Doug Williams on it. 

I hate Dan Snyder.
You'll be happy to know that fatness would like to send Cousins to SF so that he can draft some other guy at #2 overall and begin a long string of bottom feeding in the tough NFC East because you would once again have no franchise QB.

You'll be happy to know that fatness would like to send Cousins to SF so that he can draft some other guy at #2 overall and begin a long string of bottom feeding in the tough NFC East because you would once again have no franchise QB.
Well, it is @fatness.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, that was in the wind yesterday. FML

You seem to have a problem dealing with someone having an opinion differing from yours. Hopefully it doesn't make you clench as much as it sounds as if it does. :shrug:

Still hard to believe this ever, ever mattered. An embarrassment at the highest level. 

Warren Moon, here's your HoF pass from me.  

Nice sentiment RA, but he's been in for a decade.
Warren Moon is currently the only black QB in the NFL Hall of Fame. 

The interesting question is, who will be the second? I would probably say Russell Wilson, as I think he is on that trajectory, but some will always dismiss the one ring he has, giving the D and Lynch all of the credit, but I have never bough into that.  Wilson, by my eyes, just looks like a HoF QB.  

Having said all of that, while he shouldn't get in, I could see the media voting McNabb in, to avoid the cries of racial bias if he doesn't get in (which would be inevitable). 

The interesting question is, who will be the second? I would probably say Russell Wilson, as I think he is on that trajectory, but some will always dismiss the one ring he has, giving the D and Lynch all of the credit, but I have never bough into that.  Wilson, by my eyes, just looks like a HoF QB.  

Having said all of that, while he shouldn't get in, I could see the media voting McNabb in, to avoid the cries of racial bias if he doesn't get in (which would be inevitable). 
Well, if those guys don't in, Deshone Kizer is in the pipeline.

McNabb will never get in.

I don't believe he should, but I won't be surprised if voters let him in eventually. 

He has a long way to get there.  With the exception of 2015, his play has never consistently been HoF-worthy. 
1.  Making the NFL HOF is frigging hard. Voters aren't letting anybody in unless they feel it is deserved.  Search out some of the processes the voters go through from the words of Peter King.  He does a great job painting the picture of how difficult it is for players to get voted in. The cut down from 15 to 5 is excruciating.

2.  You forget just how good Cam was his rookie year.  He took the league by storm.  Back to back 400 yard games to start, rushing record for TDs by a QB, instantly improved his team by himself.  I get that his petulance hurts him, but he's been a terrific QB.

Two guys I thought were headed that way at the beginnings of their careers were Randall Cunningham and Mike Vick.

2.  You forget just how good Cam was his rookie year.  He took the league by storm.  Back to back 400 yard games to start, rushing record for TDs by a QB, instantly improved his team by himself.  I get that his petulance hurts him, but he's been a terrific QB.
I had Cam on my fantasy team when he was a rookie, so I definitely did not forget. :P

That said, a terrific QB?  Let's get real.  I get that he is hard to judge like other QBs because his rushing numbers for a QB are so gaudy, but that doesn't erase the he has always, except for 2015, been an inconsistent QB, his YPA is rarely great (despite his big arm), his completion percentage stinks most of the time, and both his QBR and passer rating have never been anything special.  For as great as he was Monday night, would he anybody be surprised if he came out in week 12 and threw up a stinker?  I doubt it. That is what Cam Newton is: Mr Inconsistent.  When he's good, he's damn great, but when he's bad, he really stinks.  The greats do not have as many ups and downs as he does. 

Last edited by a moderator:
There's never going to be another HOF black player in my lifetime (43 years old).  The only reason Warren Moon made it cause he spent his 1st five years in Canada learning how to pass.  History suggests that if he first came to the NFL he might have had a few good years then, then he would have flamed out just like every black QB does when there talent fades.  Until there is a NFL Europe or another way to get these QBs better there is never going to be another black QB in the HOF.  No black QB playing now has a chance cause they all rely on their talent.  Heck even the white QBs suck now a days, which is why the NFL better develop a farm system.

There's never going to be another HOF black player in my lifetime (43 years old).  The only reason Warren Moon made it cause he spent his 1st five years in Canada learning how to pass.  History suggests that if he first came to the NFL he might have had a few good years then, then he would have flamed out just like every black QB does when there talent fades.  Until there is a NFL Europe or another way to get these QBs better there is never going to be another black QB in the HOF.  No black QB playing now has a chance cause they all rely on their talent.  Heck even the white QBs suck now a days, which is why the NFL better develop a farm system.
:loco:

Wow. 

Users who are viewing this thread