What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Orphan Black - New BBC Series (1 Viewer)

They don't change on that issue. So, maybe they'll just get it wrong. Though, it's really only necessary as a plot device for one, ultimately minor, storyline.

There isn't another explanation yet.
I was close to throwing something at my TV over that.
Really? There's only a 5% difference between identical twins, so I don't have a problem with believing that clones would be closer, and thus enough for a law enforcement match. Didn't bother me at all.
Fingerprint differences betweens are because of environmental factors - no two children have exactly the same physical experience in utero. Density of amniotic fluid and location in the womb cause changes to the fingerprint.

How do you know they were ever in a human womb? Some sort of artificial womb doesn't seem like too much of a stretch.

Spoiler for around episode 9 or so follows

Well, actually, for two of them we do, but still

How do you know they were ever in a human womb? Some sort of artificial womb doesn't seem like too much of a stretch.

Still doesn't account for it. Basically, the kids would have to be strapped into the exact same position in the same artificial womb at an unbelievably precise amniotic fluid pressue where they couldn't move more than a micron until week 13 or something, which would screw with development in a huge number of other ways.

Also, their birthdays were within a month of one another, which rules that out.

Also, the one whose fingerprints came up as a match (Sarah) of a different one (German) definitely had a human womb. I accidentally found out your spoiler because of my severe outrage over this issue.

Still doesn't account for it. Basically, the kids would have to be strapped into the exact same position in the same artificial womb at an unbelievably precise amniotic fluid pressue where they couldn't move more than a micron until week 13 or something, which would screw with development in a huge number of other ways.

Also, the one whose fingerprints came up as a match (Sarah) of a different one (German) definitely had a human womb. I accidentally found out your spoiler because of my severe outrage over this issue.
Yeah, pretty sure the problem is with you, not the show.

Yeah, pretty sure the problem is with you, not the show.

Fair point.

They don't change on that issue. So, maybe they'll just get it wrong. Though, it's really only necessary as a plot device for one, ultimately minor, storyline.

You should do this.

Post pics.
It was a marshmallow.
Toughen up, Henry. Be a man. Throw a chainsaw at it.

And post pics.

You should do this.

Post pics.
It was a marshmallow.
Toughen up, Henry. Be a man. Throw a chainsaw at it.

And post pics.
I don't have a chainsaw, but I have a friend nicknamed chainsaw. Will report back.

28 hours to the premiere.

Henry, make sure to catch up in time. Also, hide the remotes, chainsaws, and friends named chainsaw before you get to the last 10 minutes. Well, or don't, but be sure to have your phone ready to snap some pics.

Henry, make sure to catch up in time. Also, hide the remotes, chainsaws, and friends named chainsaw before you get to the last 10 minutes. Well, or don't, but be sure to have your phone ready to snap some pics.
I'm really trying to let it go, but every time the scientist comes on screen I remember that she told Sarah that the fingerprints were the same, and it makes me think she's a fraud.

Chainsaw and Spike both coming over for drinks later. I'll keep the phone handy.

I'm really trying to let it go, but every time the scientist comes on screen I remember that she told Sarah that the fingerprints were the same, and it makes me think she's a fraud.
That's why I just concentrate on her boobs.

That's why I just concentrate on her boobs.
Good idea. If I think of her as one of those strippers claiming to be getting her degree in genetics, it all makes sense again.

Sarah as Cosima was awesome. It's about time we got that combo. Amazing how they pull that off. Real Cosima is still noticeably hotter than Sarah as Cosima.

Tatiana trying to explain why Cosima's the hot one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggldHHBtz-I

Not sure how it never occurred to the that the religious group might've taken Kira. That diner scene was pretty awesome.
Correct link: http://youtu.be/ggldHHBtz-I

Tatiana is the hot one.
Indeed.

Annoyed that my cable provider doesn't give me BBC America. That's a sentence I never thought I'd type.
That stinks. I didn't think I'd ever care about BBCA either (though, I've been meaning to check out Dr Who).

Curious what kind of ratings they pull on Saturday. Nobody watched OB last year, but it seems like they are promoting the hell out of the premiere.
BBCA was fantastic when it started but fell off for several years. It seems to be getting better. Particularly with Luther and this show. And Graham Norton has the best talk show of all time.

My vote is for Alison.

Really? There's only a 5% difference between identical twins, so I don't have a problem with believing that clones would be closer, and thus enough for a law enforcement match. Didn't bother me at all.
Fingerprint differences betweens are because of environmental factors - no two children have exactly the same physical experience in utero. Density of amniotic fluid and location in the womb cause changes to the fingerprint.
Yeah, you're over-thinking this.

Good review of episode 1 of season 2: http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/orphan-black-nature-under-constraint-and-vexed-203622

Also, spoiler for episode 1:

How great of an actress is Maslany? I could tell just from a frame or two of her feet that Helena was alive.
That was great. I also loved the way she delivered "My sister shot me"
And you know it's one hell of an episode when Alison's brilliant pepper spray/rape whistle scene can't even make into the review.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, a question about the clones:

Are we going to find out that they're somewhat invincible? I say somewhat because, well, a few of them have already died. But it seems to be going in that direction with (1) Kira surviving a car crash and (2) Helena being alive. Do the clones have superpowers?

If Beth knew about this, that would make the train idea make sense (for example, maybe she tried to kill herself another way but failed). The German was shot in the head. Who else died? A few other clones we never met. So who knows.

Again, I'm not sure this theory makes much sense, but 1 and 2 certainly seem related to me.
Also, is Art the worst actor ever?

So, a question about the clones:

Are we going to find out that they're somewhat invincible? I say somewhat because, well, a few of them have already died. But it seems to be going in that direction with (1) Kira surviving a car crash and (2) Helena being alive. Do the clones have superpowers?

If Beth knew about this, that would make the train idea make sense (for example, maybe she tried to kill herself another way but failed). The German was shot in the head. Who else died? A few other clones we never met. So who knows.

Again, I'm not sure this theory makes much sense, but 1 and 2 certainly seem related to me.
Also, is Art the worst actor ever?
I get the feeling that's where they are going.

Art's pretty bad. Paul might be worse.

Wow. Maybe the best episode to date. Just utterly devastating for everyone.

This show just tackles these huge moments with such ease. You've got Cosima performing an autopsy on the likely fate of her own body, massive plot movement with Sarah/Kira, and Alison completely falling apart, and then just for kicks, they throw in Helena's story going down the most chilling and creepy road possible.

In terms of a TV show, that Henrik makes a great villain. Vile, disgusting, and dangerous and doing so with charm and a smile on his face.

Hopefully, Sarah and the cavalry show up soon enough to slaughter that whole damn compound.

No offense to poor Paul, but if the show has just swapped Paul out for Cal, then that seems like a big trade up.

This show just tackles these huge moments with such ease. You've got Cosima performing an autopsy on the likely fate of her own body, massive plot movement with Sarah/Kira, and Alison completely falling apart, and then just for kicks, they throw in Helena's story going down the most chilling and creepy road possible.

In terms of a TV show, that Henrik makes a great villain. Vile, disgusting, and dangerous and doing so with charm and a smile on his face.

Hopefully, Sarah and the cavalry show up soon enough to slaughter that whole damn compound.

No offense to poor Paul, but if the show has just swapped Paul out for Cal, then that seems like a big trade up.
Interesting -- I kind of thought it was one of the weaker episodes to date, although that may have changed in the final 2 minutes. A weak episode of OB is still a good episode, but this was the first time in awhile I felt like I was watching a show made for a teenage girl (the romance scene with Cal, for instance).

I know it seems unlikely, but I wouldn't underestimate Helena. Henrik seems to be the main character of the Proletheans, but it wouldn't shock me if Helena kills or maims him during the rape scene that's foreshadowed for next week. We saw him artificially inseminate a cow; I kind of thought they might do the same with Helena, but if he's going for the ol' natural insemination, he may have a surprise in store. Definitely a creepy scene, and equally creepy was how unaffected the rest of the Proletheans seem to be by this rape/wedding.

For a change, there wasn't much of a comedic tone in this episode, but the one moment was great - Cosima doing a Leekie impression was perfect.

Oh, who's driving the truck? Cal? Mrs. S?

Downloaded the first season a few weeks ago, haven't gotten around to watching it yet.

Interesting -- I kind of thought it was one of the weaker episodes to date, although that may have changed in the final 2 minutes. A weak episode of OB is still a good episode, but this was the first time in awhile I felt like I was watching a show made for a teenage girl (the romance scene with Cal, for instance).I know it seems unlikely, but I wouldn't underestimate Helena. Henrik seems to be the main character of the Proletheans, but it wouldn't shock me if Helena kills or maims him during the rape scene that's foreshadowed for next week. We saw him artificially inseminate a cow; I kind of thought they might do the same with Helena, but if he's going for the ol' natural insemination, he may have a surprise in store. Definitely a creepy scene, and equally creepy was how unaffected the rest of the Proletheans seem to be by this rape/wedding.

For a change, there wasn't much of a comedic tone in this episode, but the one moment was great - Cosima doing a Leekie impression was perfect.

Oh, who's driving the truck? Cal? Mrs. S?
The Cal stuff worked for me. Kira dropping the "Are you my dad?" was almost a tad much, but she's a smart kid. Mostly, I thought that scene was just phenomenal, with everything being conveyed with no dialogue from Kira's line until Fee said whatever British thing he said.

I'm also biased because at least Cal's not Paul. Sarah and Paul together last season was a weak spot. They just didn't make any sense, except that Sarah was using him as a means to an end, as she's known to do. They tried to make that somewhat of a real relationship, which was terrible. Sarah and Cal on screen is just more entertaining to watch, and I can at least buy Sarah being interested in him.

The show certianly doesn't need a Sarah love interest, but if they are going to to there, Cal's the most interesting way to go.

Cal just seems like he could add a lot to the show (they might as well had a neon sign saying his profession will come into play), and it was nice getting more Sarah Manning backstory.

Jumping right back into it with a woman that ripped you off for $10K seemed far-fetched at first, but he put up about as much of a fight as anyone could to keep himself from wanting to bed Tatiana Maslany.

Anyway, the Cal thing worked for me, and I thought the other aspects of the episode were brilliant. Fee's big scene was great too.

Speaking of Fee, he could be a decent longshot bet to be driving that truck. Really I have no idea though. I'd probably call Mrs. S the favorite.

pollardsvision said:
Jumping right back into it with a woman that ripped you off for $10K seemed far-fetched at first, but he put up about as much of a fight as anyone could to keep himself from wanting to bed Tatiana Maslany.
He deserves an Oscar just for managing to hold off for so long.

Helena's pretty much my favorite character on TV at this point. Her and Sarah is always pure gold, but the shower scene was something else. I knew Helena wasn't there to hurt her, but Tatiana's Sarah sure as hell didn't.

I need to watch it again though, as I always do. By the time I get around to watching late Saturday night, I've usually got a pretty good buzz going. I have no idea what British Curtis Manning was saying.

Helena's pretty much my favorite character on TV at this point. Her and Sarah is always pure gold, but the shower scene was something else. I knew Helena wasn't there to hurt her, but Tatiana's Sarah sure as hell didn't.

I need to watch it again though, as I always do. By the time I get around to watching late Saturday night, I've usually got a pretty good buzz going. I have no idea what British Curtis Manning was saying.
I didn't have a buzz, though I was a couple beers in, and I have no idea what he was saying.

I didn't have a buzz, though I was a couple beers in, and I have no idea what he was saying.
Watched it again and still don't know.

I think the first scene was basically: "damn, Mrs. S you are crazy hot, i haven't seen you in a long time, let's ####"

2nd scene: "Hey, I just dropped the girl off. I don't know #### about LEDA. But if you want to #### again, let me know"

I don't want to say this is their best episode ever because I thought it last week, and I'll probably think it again next week. They are in quite a groove right now.

I watched the bathroom scene 3 more times. Holy hell, it's so good. That journey from shock to terror to finally letting go and giving in was just beautiful. Poignant that these 2 broken sestras had that moment in the apartment of the woman whose seemingly wonderful life they were supposed to have.

Can we give Tatiana Maslany all the awards? She deserves best actress for her work as Sarah/Rachel/Cosima/Alison, but also best supporting actress for Helena.

It sucks that Alison has taken back seat this season (and just missed an entire episode), but all Helena and Sarah all the time would be fine with me. It's just insane anytime those 2 get a scene together.

And I got pretty excited when Brother Sestra told Art to "try food" because it meant we get to see Helena eat.

So, Dyad must've gotten a DNA sample from Kira somehow?

Seems like the military must be behind this somehow, trying to use the clones to breed super-soldiers or something. Whatever it is, Paul obviously knows a lot more than we thought.

We need more Helena in bars sharing pork rinds and kick the #### out of people.

My rankings

Sarah

Alison

Helena

Rachel

Cosima

Helena's been kicking ### lately and moved up...

Rachel scene with the chair bumped her a notch for me

Fully aware that most will have their list almost reversed from mine...

My rankings

Sarah

Alison

Helena

Rachel

Cosima

Helena's been kicking ### lately and moved up...

Rachel scene with the chair bumped her a notch for me

Fully aware that most will have their list almost reversed from mine...
You talking hotness or awesomeness?

Hotness

Cosima. By a wide margin, always and forever.

Sarah

Alison

Helena

Rachel-just doesn't do it for me like the others. not even with the chair scene

Awesomeness

Helena

Sarah

Cosima-still based on potential because they still don't give her enough to do. the new geek in the lab should help there.

Alison

Rachel

Users who are viewing this thread