What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Orphan Black - New BBC Series (1 Viewer)

I also assumed they got a tissue sample or something from Kira. Is Mrs. S still hiding stuff? I got the feeling she was during that scene with her and Paul, she knows things.

I also assumed they got a tissue sample or something from Kira. Is Mrs. S still hiding stuff? I got the feeling she was during that scene with her and Paul, she knows things.
At this point, I think we can always assume she's hiding something.

Kind of like Delphine, I think we can trust her to be on our girls' side, but she pretty much always hiding something

Kind of like Delphine, I think we can trust her to be on our girls' side, but she pretty much always hiding something
They could do anything with her character at this point and I'd believe it. She could end up secretly being the head of this whole operation and I'd buy it. She could also be nothing more than we already know she is, and I'd buy it. The actress plays it pretty close to the vest and it works. She definitely feels real compassion for Sarah and Kira, but that's the only thing I'm sure of.

Speaking of the Eugenics Movement, there's a place here just outside of Lynchburg that was part of it.

It's now the Central Virginia Training Center, but it was opened in 1910 and changed it's name to the Virginia State Colony for Epileptics and Feebleminded in the 20's. They started involuntary sterilizations in 1927 and continued officially until 1956 with many believing they really continued into the '70s.

ConnSKINS26 said:
pollardsvision said:
ConnSKINS26 said:

They could do anything with her character at this point and I'd believe it. She could end up secretly being the head of this whole operation and I'd buy it. She could also be nothing more than we already know she is, and I'd buy it. The actress plays it pretty close to the vest and it works. She definitely feels real compassion for Sarah and Kira, but that's the only thing I'm sure of.
So true

So, Dyad must've gotten a DNA sample from Kira somehow?

Seems like the military must be behind this somehow, trying to use the clones to breed super-soldiers or something. Whatever it is, Paul obviously knows a lot more than we thought.

We need more Helena in bars sharing pork rinds and kick the #### out of people.
I think I know where the show is going.

Orphan Black is a prequel for Captain America.

My rankings

Sarah

Alison

Helena

Rachel

Cosima

Helena's been kicking ### lately and moved up...

Rachel scene with the chair bumped her a notch for me

Fully aware that most will have their list almost reversed from mine...
1. Beth

2. Cosima

3. Sarah

4. Helena

5. Rachel

6. Alison

Oh, and speaking of Tatiana and awards, apparently she beat Bryan Cranston last year to win the TCA Award for the "Individual Achievement in Drama"

She's nominated again this year, but she'll have to beat McConaughey too.

It would be pretty funny if she took a lead acting award from Cranston twice and McConaughey before the Emmy's ever figure out she exists.

Last edited by a moderator:
A week without Shakira Maslany is a sad week.

The show's in a bit of a lull right now as far as effectiveness, but I'll stay forever just for Maslany. One positive about this show: it doesn't make us wait too long for stuff to get wrapped up.

Okay, Vic is going to double cross Alison - Alison finds out in about 20 minutes.

Okay, Delphine is going to keep this big Kira secret from Cosima, which lasts about half an episode.

That's great: the beauty of a 10-episode season, I suppose, that we don't have to deal with that sort of stuff being dragged on for weeks.

The show's in a bit of a lull right now as far as effectiveness, but I'll stay forever just for Maslany. One positive about this show: it doesn't make us wait too long for stuff to get wrapped up.

Okay, Vic is going to double cross Alison - Alison finds out in about 20 minutes.

Okay, Delphine is going to keep this big Kira secret from Cosima, which lasts about half an episode.

That's great: the beauty of a 10-episode season, I suppose, that we don't have to deal with that sort of stuff being dragged on for weeks.
Yeah, I definitely had some Helena withdrawal. Hopefully, Prothethean blood is filling the streets next week. I was sure that was her with the fuzzy jacket hood behind Leekie when he came out of the building.

The Sarah as Alison as Donnie bit was nice. I was expecting it to be another virtuoso performance, but it was nice to see Sarah just reach her limit and say #### it.

I had to rewind it twice to make sure I heard it right. The young Prolethean who was chasing Helena has the same name as me. I'm a psycho homicidal extremist. :o

I hope the show has an end game in mind. It has the potential/risk to go the x-Files/Lost route and just start meandering...

I hope the show has an end game in mind. It has the potential/risk to go the x-Files/Lost route and just start meandering...
Of course the risk is there down the road, but I don't see how you'd already be worried about that yet.

There's a ton of potential story left to tell here. I'm not getting that meandering feeling yet. It's been 16 episodes with a great pace. They don't leave storylines dangling, and every episode is generally crammed full of story. This past episode might've been a little slower than most (likely due to no Helena), but if a slower episode of OB ends with the newly minted "big bad" getting his head blown off, we're still in good shape.

I do agree that some risk is there, likely due to the great pace so far. They are burning through story, and it keeps feeling like they are emerging towards a natural end game. The danger now is how to extend it naturally without it feeling contrived (sort of old the 24 problem). But there are plenty of options for extending without contrivances (like when this thing goes public for example), and with only 10 episodes per season, they won't have to do stupid #### just reach 20+ episodes/season.

And if the worst case scenario happens to be a 24-style show with Maslany's performances, I'll take it. I don't see much reason to think it won't be a lot better than that, but that's not a bad floor.

crazy theory, but I'm wondering if Beth Childs might have faked her death. If she had contacted the clones and some of the clones were already terminally ill, then a terminally ill clone may have decided to help Beth go into hiding and helped her fake her own death....just a thought

Sadly, I think we've just seen the limits of Maslany's all-mighty powers. Though, I think the hair/make-up people are more to blame here. It's just so odd that the hair/make-up people have done such a brilliant job making each female Maslany character so unique and distinguished, then they role her out as a man, and it just looks like Maslany with horrible facial hair velcroed on her face. Maslany did an admirable job considering they sent her out there with the odds stacked against her.

It seems like they'd have been better off ditching the facial hair and giving her a very short "hair cut", though maybe the latter is easier said than done (maybe bunch all her real hair up would've just looked terrible, sort of like Monica Potter with the bald cap.

I don't think there's any way around that being the worst OB episode ever. Everything was just so damned scattered. A 2nd straight episode without the show's best character (and nobdy seeming to give a damn about where she is) is a very odd choice.

But I have faith. Things started to come a little unglued last season too around this point, just before they ripped off 3 phenomenal episodes to finish off the season. Hopefully, they bring that same sort of focus and momentum to finish this season.

Yeah, I definitely had some Helena withdrawal. Hopefully, Prothethean blood is filling the streets next week.
A couple weeks late, but I'll certainly take it. Especially with the flair that only Helena can provide.

Season 2 doesn't seem as good as Season 1

It seems to be lacking in tension and the sense of humor is not as sharp

The baddies seem a lot lamer

nice twist!
I wondered when/if we'd find out about male clones.

I love this damn show. I wish we could've gotten more Helena/Cosima/Sarah/Alison time.
The meeting with Paul in the hangar/warehouse whatever was confusing until the reveal. When they showed the guy doing pullups I thought at first it might be a Felix clone. Would have been kind of crazy for Mrs S to have raised one clone from each project. Mark being the clone should be crazy enough and now Mark is out there getting married.

Thinking back...might need to rewatch the scene in the bar when Paul and Mark met up. It seemed to me at the time they were "comfortable" together as if they'd met before. And I think there was some comment from Mark about being in the military.

totally enjoying this, but a few episodes behind.

count me in as another who completely buys the lead actress in the various roles... but this Tony thing may have jumped the shark. Big fan of Natasha and soccer mom. Gay friend/brother gets some good/funny lines, but I don't look forwrad to seeing any more naked painting.

totally enjoying this, but a few episodes behind.

count me in as another who completely buys the lead actress in the various roles... but this Tony thing may have jumped the shark. Big fan of Natasha and soccer mom. Gay friend/brother gets some good/funny lines, but I don't look forwrad to seeing any more naked painting.
:lol: Or naked Donnie butt. (You may not be there yet but that's not a huge spoiler)

The Tony thing was ok at best. I get totally lost in Maslany playing Helena though. The other girls she plays are close enough that it doesn't seem too crazy different but when she's Helena it's something completely different.

nice twist!

I love this damn show. I wish we could've gotten more Helena/Cosima/Sarah/Alison time.
The meeting with Paul in the hangar/warehouse whatever was confusing until the reveal. When they showed the guy doing pullups I thought at first it might be a Felix clone. Would have been kind of crazy for Mrs S to have raised one clone from each project. Mark being the clone should be crazy enough and now Mark is out there getting married.Thinking back...might need to rewatch the scene in the bar when Paul and Mark met up. It seemed to me at the time they were "comfortable" together as if they'd met before. And I think there was some comment from Mark about being in the military.
In the bar, Paul asked Mark if he was ex-military, and Mark smiled and said "boy scouts" (which we later learned is a lie).

Yeah, Mark being the clone should be pretty awesome. The actor's pretty good and obviously, does bat#### crazy pretty well.

I had no idea it was the finale either.

BTW, did Kira actually revive a dying/dead Cosima?

Seems that might've happened.

That whole thing was pretty awesome. It may or may not have gotten dusty around here during that scene.

Actually, pretty much everything that happened Fee's loft last night was awesome. I enjoyed the Clone Club Dance Party way too much.

Apparently Leda had 4 offspring from 2 eggs: : Castor and Clytemnestra from one egg, fathered by Tyndareus, and Helen and Pollux from the other, fathered by Zeus.

Castor and Pollux are the "gemini twins"

I really don't know much about Roman/Greek Mythology, but I assume for those that do, the Castor part made it clear some male clones were inbound.

Apparently Leda had 4 offspring from 2 eggs: : Castor and Clytemnestra from one egg, fathered by Tyndareus, and Helen and Pollux from the other, fathered by Zeus.

Castor and Pollux are the "gemini twins"

I really don't know much about Roman/Greek Mythology, but I assume for those that do, the Castor part made it clear some male clones were inbound.
Time for me to do some reading. :)

nice twist!

The meeting with Paul in the hangar/warehouse whatever was confusing until the reveal. When they showed the guy doing pullups I thought at first it might be a Felix clone. Would have been kind of crazy for Mrs S to have raised one clone from each project. Mark being the clone should be crazy enough and now Mark is out there getting married.Thinking back...might need to rewatch the scene in the bar when Paul and Mark met up. It seemed to me at the time they were "comfortable" together as if they'd met before. And I think there was some comment from Mark about being in the military.
In the bar, Paul asked Mark if he was ex-military, and Mark smiled and said "boy scouts" (which we later learned is a lie).

Yeah, Mark being the clone should be pretty awesome. The actor's pretty good and obviously, does bat#### crazy pretty well.

I had no idea it was the finale either.

BTW, did Kira actually revive a dying/dead Cosima?

Seems that might've happened.

That whole thing was pretty awesome. It may or may not have gotten dusty around here during that scene.

Actually, pretty much everything that happened Fee's loft last night was awesome. I enjoyed the Clone Club Dance Party way too much.
Yeah, I was thinking that as well with Kira/Cosima. Not sure. She obviously has some special genes/DNA.

Just watched two seasons on two weeks with just enough time to see the 2 finale yesterday. Love this show.

How Tatiana and...Sarah's brother in the show...how they both got snubbed for Emmy nominations?!?!? I don't even give a **** about awards, but damn, Tatiana for sure deserves one.

Just plowed through S1 and part of S2 over the weekend. Love the show and count me in for team Cosima. I think my favorite part is whenever Helena is on screen they play that little techno/screechy sound :lol:

Just finished Ep4 of S1. It's ok so far and I'll probably keep watching since nothing else is on but does it get much better? I don't hate it but it's hard getting past the horrible acting of almost everyone besides the lead actress. The brother, the partner, her original boyfriend all are really bad. She's at least compelling enough to stick with it for now but I'm not sure I'll last if it doesn't drastically improve.

Just finished Ep4 of S1. It's ok so far and I'll probably keep watching since nothing else is on but does it get much better? I don't hate it but it's hard getting past the horrible acting of almost everyone besides the lead actress. The brother, the partner, her original boyfriend all are really bad. She's at least compelling enough to stick with it for now but I'm not sure I'll last if it doesn't drastically improve.
It certainly picks up, but there's a bit of a lull from episodes 4-7 IIRC. The last few episodes of the season are fantastic.

Though, I'd guess that if you are on the fence now, it might just not be the show for you. Under no circumstances would I ever recommend for anyone to stop watching Orphan Black though.

Felix comes off as a mildly offensive, ridiculous cartoonish character at first, but he really grows on you as the series goes on.

He's awesome, and after a while you even start to respect that they stuck with old-school flamoyant take on him. You don't see it so much anymore and it works for him.

Paul will not. He's terrible and remains that way. As the series goes on though, he's less important, so he doesn't get in the way too much. Same with Victor.

Not sure if you've met Donnie yet, but if you haven't, you won't be a fan of him either for quite a while, but he goes from useless to awesome at some point in the series.

The series does have a problem in the lack of compelling characters not played by Maslany, but some are on the way and, mostly, you'll just grow to love the ones played by Maslany so much it doesn't matter.

It certainly picks up, but there's a bit of a lull from episodes 4-7 IIRC. The last few episodes of the season are fantastic.

Though, I'd guess that if you are on the fence now, it might just not be the show for you. Under no circumstances would I ever recommend for anyone to stop watching Orphan Black though.

Felix comes off as a mildly offensive, ridiculous cartoonish character at first, but he really grows on you as the series goes on.

He's awesome, and after a while you even start to respect that they stuck with old-school flamoyant take on him. You don't see it so much anymore and it works for him.

Paul will not. He's terrible and remains that way. As the series goes on though, he's less important, so he doesn't get in the way too much. Same with Victor.

Not sure if you've met Donnie yet, but if you haven't, you won't be a fan of him either for quite a while, but he goes from useless to awesome at some point in the series.

The series does have a problem in the lack of compelling characters not played by Maslany, but some are on the way and, mostly, you'll just grow to love the ones played by Maslany so much it doesn't matter.
Yikes to the bolded. Not sure if I'll survive that but I'll try. Thanks for the reply.

Just watched two seasons on two weeks with just enough time to see the 2 finale yesterday. Love this show.
Just did the same.

Show can get wobbly at times but more often a thrill ride. It's like whenever you want something to happen is instantly does. Mainlining.

Maslany is putting up an all-time performance. I know nothing about her. Never seen her outside the show. I have no idea which character more closely resembles her real-life personality or if any do. The physicality of the various performances are masterful. The differences between Alison and Sarah are incredible.

Put me down for team Rachel. The scene with Paul? :o

Users who are viewing this thread