What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Game of Thrones, tv only, books don't exist, no backstory...NERDS already ruining a series that hasn't started (2 Viewers)

I get what you are saying.  On one hand, I have really loved some scenes that we have gotten over the past couple weeks.  On the other hand, the fact that most of us in here are saying what a common trope this is (and we have seen it in the show before) - characters getting together before the big battle, the people having the sex and saying goodbyes are probably biting it, etc. point to it becoming "just another show", albeit with characters that we have grown to love.   I think we are pretty far removed from the beginning of the show where we are getting surprised and characters who die stay dead.    I think I have been a little bit more on board with the last couple episodes than you based on the posts, but I think this is kind of what you are getting at.  
While some of the scenes have been good, I think the dialogue has been clunky.  Luckily,  Benioff and Weiss are credited with writing the rest of the episodes for the season.

Does Bran ####### help at all? How many troops do they have? How far off are they? Formations?

He can see all this ####, right? And he just stares at his stupid tree and stares at everybody. "Oh BTW, the Night King knows where I am at all times, guess I'll mention that now." FFS.
I was rewatching season the first half of season seven and he’s a total **** about how he’s more than a Lord. Then he’s just cold to everybody. So dumb for a character with so much potential. 

I could see this happening and honestly it would be pretty disappointing.  The White Walkers HAVE to win this battle, right?

To have 8 years of teasing about this magical unstoppable force that is only being held back from conquering the whole world by a magical wall that everyone assumes is basically futile to fight against be stopped by just losing a straight up battle against a half-###ed 11th hour plan based totally on conjecture that they didn't even bother to flesh out would be pretty much the worst payoff in TV/movie villain history, right?

Personally I think they kill the NK as planned, start to think everything is great, and then realize whoops that silly trope about all the bad guys dying when the main bad guy dies didn't actually work, and the rest of the WW army decimates the human army and forces a battered retreat. 
They thought the WW were unstoppable because originally they thought only dragon glass could kill WW and there wasn't an abundance of it in Westeros.  Then in Season 5, Stannis tells Sam that there is dragon glass at Dragonstone so now they have enough to fashion enough weapons to arm themselves.  Then in Season 7 they found out that if you kill a WW, all the wights that walker created will die.    

I am still waiting for Tyrion to finish his story about the time he brought a jackass and a honeycomb into a brothel. 
Do you want the entire story?

Tyrion walks into a brothel with a honeycomb and a jackass.
Madame: What can we do for you?
Tyrion: I need a woman to lay with, for mine has left me.
Madame: Whatever for? And what's with the honeycomb and the mule?
Tyrion: My woman found a genie in a bottle, and he granted her three wishes. The first was for a house fit for a queen, so he gave her this damn honeycomb. The second wish was that she have the nicest ### in all the land, so he gave her this damn donkey...
Madame: And what about the third wish?
Tyrion: Well... she asked the genie to make my #### hang down past my knee.
Madame: Well that one's not so bad eh?
Tyrion: Not so bad!? I used to be six foot three!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm calling it now. Dany and Jon both survive the battle for Winterfell. Why? They wouldn't have wasted the screen time having him tell her if one of them were to die because if that happens, none of that matters

:)  

After Sam's little speech about Bran's importance as mankind's memory, all I could think was that they could have chosen a better communicator for the job.
Did I miss something this past episode?  I thought it was Bran himself who talked about him being the memory of Westeros, not Sam

Did I miss something this past episode?  I thought it was Bran himself who talked about him being the memory of Westeros, not Sam
There is a lot of speculation that we are reading a story, that is narrated or being written by Sam.  Sort of a Never Ending Story type thing.  

There is a lot of speculation that we are reading a story, that is narrated or being written by Sam.  Sort of a Never Ending Story type thing.  
Bastion!  Call my NAME!

….. the Never ending stor-----oreee……………

Love that movie.  Fight me.

I was rewatching season the first half of season seven and he’s a total **** about how he’s more than a Lord. Then he’s just cold to everybody. So dumb for a character with so much potential. 
He's Dr. Manhattan from Watchmen. Sees everything as it is. No past present or future. Time and events are just one thing. I'm sure he has a role to play and will play it as he has seen it. 

I have no inside knowledge outside of watching the shows and reading online about the books:

Tyrion is almost certainly a Targareyen, and I'm very curious to how exactly that is going to play out as I've always thought Tyrion to be the centerpiece of the story.  My best pieces of evidence of this is Tywin saying "You're no son of mine." before his exit as well as his mother also dying during childbirth just like Jon and Dany's.  Would also match the "Three Headed Dragon" narrative of the Targareyens. 

If the Night King has Bran marked, seems really dumb to involve him in the planning, almost certain that plan is doomed.  Could see Bran passing the three eyed Raven off to Sam or Theon ( :shock: ) and sacrificing himself, since being marked isn't much different than already being dead.  In fact, with the added range of being mounted on a dragon, I could see the Night King not even being present at the battle of Winterfeel, instead going after Euron or right to King's Landing.

Living should prevail at the battle of Winterfell, I'm very excited to see what the "gamechanger" is going to be, but my best guess would be that it's going to come from the crypts of Winterfell.  Could see it being anything from as awesome as the Night King raising the dead in the crypt yet getting more than he bargained for when the Stone Starks are out of his control; to something as anti-climatic as a last ditch solo dragon flight to the burn the weirwood tree where the Night King was created causing all the wights to disintegrate.  If Melisandre and her Fiery Hand army don't show up at the beginning of this weeks episode, they will likely swoop to change the tide when hope is all but lost, her character is needed to complete the Azor Ahai arch which I also believe is Tyrion, not Jon or Dany.

Won't survive battle for Winterfell:

Brienne, Podrick, Gendry, Berdic, Tormund, Bran 

I've seen similar theories, but what I haven't figured out on that one is why would the NK go King's Landing or anywhere else other than where Bran is, for that matter?

I've seen similar theories, but what I haven't figured out on that one is why would the NK go King's Landing or anywhere else other than where Bran is, for that matter?
1) Totally catch anyone South of Winterfell off guard.

2) Easily make a second undead army to attack the North with from the South side.

3) Make boatloads of $$$$$ ( or whatever the symbol is for Westeros currency)

1) Totally catch anyone South of Winterfell off guard.

2) Easily make a second undead army to attack the North with from the South side.

3) Make boatloads of $$$$$ ( or whatever the symbol is for Westeros currency)
I guess I just don't see the NK getting that strategic. As someone else pointed out earlier on in the thread, he doesn't seem to be very fearful, and as of yet, has no reason to be. 

I'm going to mess up the nomenclature here with my question, but here goes -

I can't recall how the dragon glass works against the WW. Does it kill any of them, i.e. both the lower "soldiers" and the wights (leaders)? Does it work like Valyrian steel and kill them with a single hit? I recall Jon Snow hitting a wight with his sword a season or two ago and it instantly disintegrated. 

If the answer to both above is yes, it would seem like advantage Winterfell with all of its dragon glass weapons and defenses, no?

I can't recall how the dragon glass works against the WW. Does it kill any of them, i.e. both the lower "soldiers" and the wights (leaders)? Does it work like Valyrian steel and kill them with a single hit? I recall Jon Snow hitting a wight with his sword a season or two ago and it instantly disintegrated. 

If the answer to both above is yes, it would seem like advantage Winterfell with all of its dragon glass weapons and defenses, no?

They have no real defenses to a volume shooting army 10x the size.  Why they chose to make the stand at winterfell, which seems to only be able to contain an army 1/100th the size of the one they are facing is a semi-big plot hole.

This is more like vietnam.  You can have vastly superior weapons and firepower (including air power) and the other guy has 10x the men and can (somewhat literally) raise the dead, he's gonna win if you fight on open ground.

They have no real defenses to a volume shooting army 10x the size.  Why they chose to make the stand at winterfell, which seems to only be able to contain an army 1/100th the size of the one they are facing is a semi-big plot hole.

This is more like vietnam.  You can have vastly superior weapons and firepower (including air power) and the other guy has 10x the men and can (somewhat literally) raise the dead, he's gonna win if you fight on open ground.

We don't know how dragonglass deals with WW.  It seems Valyarian steel is the only confirmed way they die so far.
Sam killed a WW with dragon glass. 

Also, the bulk of the human army is cavalry and troops that are trained to fight in formation with long spears, both of which are completely wasted inside a packed castle (if they’d even all fit). I don’t take particular issue with the deployment; the bigger issue is that don’t seem to have a bigger strategic plan beyond hoping the NK gets impatient and makes a run at Bran. 

Thought there were some conversations of how to use the terrain around Winterfell last episode.  I don't think they're going to pack in like sardines behind the Winterfell walls.

Yeah, Bran mentioned it saying that the NK is coming after him because he wants "an endless night.  He wants to erase this world and I'm its memory." 

But then Sam expounded on it.  "That's what death is, isn't it?  Forgetting, being forgotten. If we forget where we've been and what we've done, we're not men anymore - just animals. Your memories don't come from books.  Your stories aren't just stories.  If I wanted to erase the world of men, I'd start with you."

Thought there were some conversations of how to use the terrain around Winterfell last episode.  I don't think they're going to pack in like sardines behind the Winterfell walls.
No, but the point is that defending walls is easier than open terrain.  And they cant' fit everyone in winterfell.  

I'm not convinced that Bran was right.  Or at least, not in the sense that the show let on.  Not so much tinfoil hat, but more, he is still new at this and just 3 episodes ago (which has to be no more than a month at most in show time) he didn't know about Jon in full until Sam filled in a blank and told him what to look for.  He already "screwed up" twice by letting the NK see and touch him and then the whole HODOR thing - the necessities of fate aside in both scenarios.  

He might be the all powerful wizard with real power, but he isn't at 100% yet in terms of control and knowledge - at least, I don't think he is.

Battle of Winterfell, I'm very excited to see what the "gamechanger" is going to be, but my best guess would be that it's going to come from the crypts of Winterfell.  Could see it being anything from as awesome as the Night King raising the dead in the crypt yet getting more than he bargained for when the Stone Starks are out of his control
Thought about "Stone Starks" to save the crypts yesterday as well, but "Headless Zombie Ned" didn't go over too well here.  Average to strong possibilities imo.  

I guess I just don't see the NK getting that strategic. As someone else pointed out earlier on in the thread, he doesn't seem to be very fearful, and as of yet, has no reason to be. 
He is also never in the front line anyway.  At Hardhomme he was on top of the mountain until the end of the fight if we will remember.  With the dragon kill shot the same thing.

The fact that he wasn't on the front line in the final scene last week doesn't really mean anything other than he isn't a stupid general like the guy who would run out into the open field in the face of an archer who already marked the range a cavalry that can catch him before his own guys can save him.

Sam stabbed the White Walker (not just a dead skeleton) in the back and he turned into ice and broke apart.  So similar to Jon's killing with the steel when he basically exploded.

It won't happen, but it would great if the NK killed nearly everyone at Winterfell, and then marched on Cersie - only for Melisandre to raise Jon Snow/Aegon, and he heads to Kingslanding and defeats the Night King.

Thought about "Stone Starks" to save the crypts yesterday as well, but "Headless Zombie Ned" didn't go over too well here.  Average to strong possibilities imo.  
I'm with you.

I think there is more to "There must always be a Stark in Winterfell." than just symbolism.  The identity of the Night King will come into play as well.  

Wouldn't be surprised if one of the remaining episodes focuses solely on events in the past, especially if only a handful survive the battle of Winterfell.  Think at the very minimum we'll see exactly how the mad King went mad as well as who built the wall.

I'm with you.

I think there is more to "There must always be a Stark in Winterfell." than just symbolism.  The identity of the Night King will come into play as well.  

Wouldn't be surprised if one of the remaining episodes focuses solely on events in the past, especially if only a handful survive the battle of Winterfell.  Think at the very minimum we'll see exactly how the mad King went mad as well as who built the wall.
I could see this. They will have to have some major flashback scenes (via Bran) in order to tie all this up. I feel like there is going to be more to the origin of the NK, or at least where he went astray from his original mission which was to protect the first men and ward off the humans. If mid battle, when #### is really going down, someone asks Bran to find out how they killed the NK in the past, and that's the first time he tries to do that, I'm going to take out one of my GRRM books and pee on it. 

Users who are viewing this thread