What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Game of Thrones, tv only, books don't exist, no backstory...NERDS already ruining a series that hasn't started (6 Viewers)

Although they have always made it a point to show how great Tyrion was with Cersei's non-monster children. Maybe Tommen sends his beloved uncle to the wall rather than the grave. :shrug:

That'd be terribly anti-climactic though. Hmmmm.

This guy's weekly column is great for non-book readers that would like additional context around the current episodes or have questions answered about confusing things, without the fear of spoilers.

We all want him to escape, but we don't want a "deus ex machina" solution. Tough chore for the writers.
Pretty sure they have a roadmap of where to go from here.
I think they've done a sufficiently good job up to now suggesting that the system is corrupt enough, and the players adequately self-interested, that it would have to be awfully ham-fisted to come off as authorial fairy dust.

For as smart as Tyrion is supposed to be, it'd be nice if he could somehow orchestrate his own release or escape.

He's been so useless/pointless the past couple seasons that I'd almost be okay with him getting the axe.
Say what now?
Maybe I'm forgetting something? Very possible. I just feel like he's done next to nothing significant since Tywin rolled into town at the end of Blackwater.

He's been hanging out at King's Landing accomplishing nothing. He's stuck in the Westeros equivalent of Office Space -

Lame gig at a big company with no chance of promotion, and he's just been more or less fine with that, not making any real efforts to better his situation.

And to think...... next week is episode 9.
S1 E9 - Ned's execution

S2 E9 - Battle at the Blackwater

S3 E9 - The Red Wedding

S4 E9 - I can't see them topping what we've seen so far this season, but I expect another great episode.
Episode 9 Death Pool. Who ya got?

The Mountain has been taken off the board due to his already being a gametime decision.

Arya

Barristan Selmy

Bran

Brienne

Bronn

Cersei

Daenerys

Gendry

Grey Worm

Hodor

Jaime

Jon Snow

Jorah

Littlefinger

Margaery

Melisandre

Missandei

Podrick

Ramsay Bolton

Roose Bolton

Samwell Tarly

Sansa

Sandor Clegane

Shae

Stannis

Theon

Tommen

Tyrion

Tywin

Varys

Ygritte

S1 E9 - Ned's execution

S3 E9 - The Red Wedding

S4 E9 - I can't see them topping what we've seen so far this season, but I expect another great episode.

The Mountain has been taken off the board due to his already being a gametime decision.

Arya

Barristan Selmy

Bran

Brienne

Bronn

Cersei

Daenerys

Gendry

Grey Worm

Hodor

Jaime

Jon Snow

Jorah

Littlefinger

Margaery

Melisandre

Missandei

Podrick

Ramsay Bolton

Roose Bolton

Samwell Tarly

Sansa

Sandor Clegane

Shae

Stannis

Theon

Tommen

Tyrion

Tywin

Varys

Ygritte
I'll take OTHER......

I'll sprinkle a little on Jamie and Varys as the guys who have shown the most love for the Imp and may lose a life trying to save him.

I'll put a full size bet on Alliser Thorne (Acting Lord Commander of the Knights Watch).

PSA: Dont google to find out what "Alliser Thorne" name is unless you want a big book spoil. :rant:

S1 E9 - Ned's execution

S3 E9 - The Red Wedding

Arya

Barristan Selmy

Bran

Brienne

Bronn

Cersei

Daenerys

Gendry

Grey Worm

Hodor

Jaime

Jon Snow

Jorah

Littlefinger

Margaery

Melisandre

Missandei

Podrick

Ramsay Bolton

Roose Bolton

Samwell Tarly

Sansa

Sandor Clegane

Shae

Stannis

Theon

Tommen

Tyrion

Tywin

Varys

Ygritte
I'll take OTHER......
If Missandei dies I will burn #### down.

What do you mean by "what the name is"?
I'm guessing he just means googling the character name. I made the mistake googling a character from the wire to find out the actors name. It led to the wiki which mentioned what ep the character died in.
Holy #### you ####### #######s get your panties in a bunch every time someone mentions the printed word in this thread, and then you post THIS ####### ####? How many characters from The Wire are in GoT, you ### hole? And the Wire was JUST ADDED to Amazon Prime so yes there are people who are trying to watch it for the first time.

####!

I'm not smart enough to do it, but can someone create a list of users who have posted in the book readers thread? Number of posts in that thread would be helpful too. I'd prefer not to know their "predictions" in this thread. TIA.

This guy's weekly column is great for non-book readers that would like additional context around the current episodes or have questions answered about confusing things, without the fear of spoilers.
Lots of filthy book talk in there.
But it's all back-story. Most of that Jorah stuff is never going to come up in the show, unless they start doing "Lost"-style flashbacks. So that type of supplemental info helps me enjoy the show more and not have to read the books to find out those things.

I'm guessing he just means googling the character name. I made the mistake googling a character from the wire to find out the actors name. It led to the wiki which mentioned what ep the character died in.
Holy #### you ####### #######s get your panties in a bunch every time someone mentions the printed word in this thread, and then you post THIS ####### ####? How many characters from The Wire are in GoT, you ### hole? And the Wire was JUST ADDED to Amazon Prime so yes there are people who are trying to watch it for the first time.

####!
So I am confused - does Littlefinger die, or Carcetti?

Should I stop watching both now?

I'll sprinkle a little on Jamie and Varys as the guys who have shown the most love for the Imp and may lose a life trying to save him.
I can't see Varys going now -- we still need to see how he uses the sorcerer he's got stashed away... speaking of which...

During that episode where Varys revealed the sorcerer to Tyrion, immediately preceding that Varys urged Tyrion to be patient, and his revenge will come to him in time. I think Cersei eats it.

I can't see Varys going now -- we still need to see how he uses the sorcerer he's got stashed away... speaking of which...

During that episode where Varys revealed the sorcerer to Tyrion, immediately preceding that Varys urged Tyrion to be patient, and his revenge will come to him in time. I think Cersei eats it.
I just kind of assumed the sorcerer is dead by now. I don't think Varys planned to "stash him away" for just long enough for a little Marsellus Wallace action.

Holy #### you ####### #######s get your panties in a bunch every time someone mentions the printed word in this thread, and then you post THIS ####### ####? How many characters from The Wire are in GoT, you ### hole? And the Wire was JUST ADDED to Amazon Prime so yes there are people who are trying to watch it for the first time.####!
I'm assuming you're kidding but I didn't mean the character from the wire in got, I meant when I was watching the wire, I googled a character name and it went to the wire wiki. Not carcetti/baelish.

Relax.

Edit: reading back I can see you're not kidding. Unpucker your ###.

Last edited by a moderator:
Holy #### you ####### #######s get your panties in a bunch every time someone mentions the printed word in this thread, and then you post THIS ####### ####? How many characters from The Wire are in GoT, you ### hole? And the Wire was JUST ADDED to Amazon Prime so yes there are people who are trying to watch it for the first time.####!
So I am confused - does Littlefinger die, or Carcetti?Should I stop watching both now?
I wasn't referring to him - I have no idea what happens to little finger. The only thing I spoiled was that during the entire 5 seasons of the wire, at least one person dies. I wasn't talking about Carcetti.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like I wont in in this thread much longer. I just bought the books. No way I'm going to be able to make it till next year to see what happens next.

So I am confused - does Littlefinger die, or Carcetti?Should I stop watching both now?
I wasn't referring to him - I have no idea what happens to little finger.The only thing I spoiled was that during the entire 5 seasons of the wire, at least one person dies. I wasn't talking about Carcetti.
Thanks for spoiling Carcetti DOESNT die moron ;)

Gr00vus said:
Freelove said:
I just kind of assumed the sorcerer is dead by now. I don't think Varys planned to "stash him away" for just long enough for a little Marsellus Wallace action.
I don't know about dead, but the sorcerer struck me a one-off revenge prop, just to illustrate how dangerous Varys could actually be to someone who crossed him. Sort of serve as the darkside counterpoint to his soft exterior and proper and polished demeanor.

There are things I'm still waiting to see what's up with REDACTED but that guy's not one of them. I assume it's his lot in life to spend eternity stuffed in a box.
You really need to remove the REDACTED part from your post - pronto.
:confused:

I haven't read the books.

Maybe I saw something in a preview last year, or maybe I read more into a certain scene I won't mention than you, but I'm completely incapable of spoiling anything. :shrug:

Maybe I saw something in a preview last year, or maybe I read more into a certain scene I won't mention than you, but I'm completely incapable of spoiling anything. :shrug:
I would not worry about it, people are getting burned at the stake in this thread for any little thing that may/may not relate to the book. I am not a GOT book reader, but have to say some of these blow ups are quite comical.

I have not been spoiled by anything posted in this thread so far, but I also avoid links that may contain book spoilers.

The sorcerer's primary usage was to show exactly how far Varys has come in terms of influence and ability. The secondary usage was to show that Varys didn't care for magic......although given Vary's penchant for playing things close to the vest...I'm assuming this could be a ruse.

Lots of filthy book talk in there.
But it's all back-story. Most of that Jorah stuff is never going to come up in the show, unless they start doing "Lost"-style flashbacks. So that type of supplemental info helps me enjoy the show more and not have to read the books to find out those things.
I thought most of that was in the show anyway? I'm not sure as to whether they gave the names of the people...but I do think Jorah told Dany why he left Westeros.

I would not worry about it, people are getting burned at the stake in this thread for any little thing that may/may not relate to the book. I am not a GOT book reader, but have to say some of these blow ups are quite comical.

I have not been spoiled by anything posted in this thread so far, but I also avoid links that may contain book spoilers.
Actually the thing he mentioned was a pretty major spoiler for something that hasn't happened in the show yet. It has already been spoiled elsewhere online. If I was a non book reader and saw that I'd be pretty unhappy about it.

I went back and deleted my literary take on the fates of Tyrion, et al, too. :shrug:

I think the problem is that I watch dramas like a writer, make presumptions, and have no fear of presenting those presumptions factually. It's an active approach.

This seems like more of a passive approach, watch-then-react thread.

That's okay. :shrug:

I won't present any more thoughts here out of fear that somebody who's read the books will jump in, confirm them, and then scream spoiler. I've got no interest in raining on anyone's good time, or having anyone tell me how to have my own. Enjoy, all. :)

I went back and deleted my literary take on the fates of Tyrion, et al, too. :shrug:

I think the problem is that I watch dramas like a writer, make presumptions, and have no fear of presenting those presumptions factually. It's an active approach.

This seems like more of a passive approach, watch-then-react thread.

That's okay. :shrug:

I won't present any more thoughts here out of fear that somebody who's read the books will jump in, confirm them, and then scream spoiler. I've got no interest in raining on anyone's good time, or having anyone tell me how to have my own. Enjoy, all. :)
All of us non book readers would love to discuss predictions. But it's difficult when there are book readers who continue to post in here. Even when we're trying to predict who will die next episode, book readers are responding for whatever reason.

bigmarc27: "Hey, remember that episode of Magnum P.I. when Magnum fed Zeus and Apollo the Macho Tacos and Higgins was pissed?"

Psychopav: "Holy ####, Mother###ker!! Magnum P.I.'s on Netflix, and some of us need to still ####in' see it! Thanks a lot, ###hole!!"

Users who are viewing this thread