What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Game of Thrones, tv only, books don't exist, no backstory...NERDS already ruining a series that hasn't started (10 Viewers)

Were those mail order Dothraki or what? Good thing she was able to replace all the others so quickly that died changing the NK.  

The previews for next week show that she has a crap load of Unsullied again too.  She must have put in an order with Slavers bay after most the others fell at Winterfell.  

Lame of Groans.

All Dany had to do was hit the Red Keep to prove a point and she would get her throne.

What really sucks is that I still like her. I wanted her to win....now.... 

Even if she wins the city will want her dead and there is nothing more for the people but the Game of Thrones.

Were those mail order Dothraki or what? Good thing she was able to replace all the others so quickly that died changing the NK.  

The previews for next week show that she has a crap load of Unsullied again too.  She must have put in an order with Slavers bay after most the others fell at Winterfell.  

Lame of Groans.
After last weeks episode, they reported about 50% troop levels for both - I think. 

I don't know. She was a full heel when she roasted Varys. 

I guess we'll never know what he saw in the flames when they burned his man parts.
She was full on heel today. I meant the buildup to it. It just seemed too fast and too out of character. I just wasn’t sold.

All Dany had to do was hit the Red Keep to prove a point and she would get her throne.

Even if she wins the city will want her dead and there is nothing more for the people but the Game of Thrones.
She’d been showing signs of her craziness in small pieces the last couple of seasons.  As cool as it would for her to be a loved ruler this is the perfect arch for her.  

I did think Arya was going to die, when they kept flipping back and forth between her dodging falling buildings and The Hound getting pummeled.  I thought maybe their fates were intertwined. 
Many great parts of the show tonight and that back and forth was right up there.  So much tension.

Excellent episode.

What I'm trying to figure out is if it ruins future rewatches of this show. How can you root for Dany now knowing what she becomes? How can you feel that same feeling, when she takes the unsullied and utters "dracaris", ever again? Knowing where it all leads.

I get that on some level for some people that makes it more profound. I don't know if I'm one of those people, I'll have to see. I feel similarly about the Jaimie ending. His whole redemption arc...kinda reversed if not wasted. 

And one of the best villains in TV history in Cersei goes out with a whimper? Maybe that's what she deserved, and maybe what actually happened was the origin story for the ACTUAL big villain finally hit it's crescendo with Dany, overshadowing Cersei. 

Idk. It was a great episode but it leaves me with some mixed feelings about arcs we watched for 9 years. 

Incredibly entertaining.

Fitting for Jamie and Cersei to die together like that but it basically ruined Jamie's entire arc as a character. At the end of the day, he was just some one handed weirdo who loved nothing more than banging his sister.  But maybe we should have listened to Jamie himself back in season 4 when he said "my bloody honor is beyond repair".

Liked the way they handled Varys. He was exactly who he said he was the whole time. Always working towards putting the right person (as he saw it at the time) on the throne if at all possible.  I do wonder who he was writing the note to. (or did they show it and I missed iit)

Liked Clegane-bowl. Fitting end to the Hound's story.

A little bit ridiculous how Euron can go 3/3 with the Scorpions last week but now Dany can do 10 passes of the fleet and 15 passes of the wall of King's landing without so much as a scratch. (hell, most of the scorpions were still facing straight ahead when she torched them. Hadn't turned an inch) But I guess that's still better than dragon armor or more dragons magically appearing or any other of the silly theories for Euron's surprised look that people drew up this week.

Really not sure how I feel about this now. Obviously no redemption path for Dany, so she either wins or she dies. Only logical people to make the kill shot are Jon and Arya.  Hope its not Arya, as it would be pretty lame to give her both big kills.

And if she was so crazed and vengeful, why wasn’t Tyrion executed or at least fired or jailed? He’s become the most useless stupid person on the show. None of his plans for her have ever worked out. He spread the news behind her back to Varys and his brother bailed out on them. Her reaction is to give him another chance?

I really wanted someone to take out Cersei instead of her dying by crush.
My one complaint was that was too easy.  But fitting she went out crying and helpless.

The scene with arya and the horse...when she stands there with ash coming down in between buildings and the music was perfect.

She was full on heel today. I meant the buildup to it. It just seemed too fast and too out of character. I just wasn’t sold.
How was it out of character? 

She burned that witch alive in Season 1. 

She put Xaro in a sealed vault to slowly suffocate to death in Season 2.

She burned Kraznys alive in Season 3. 

etc. 

This side of her personality has always been on full display.  This is not new. 

Excellent episode.

What I'm trying to figure out is if it ruins future rewatches of this show. How can you root for Dany now knowing what she becomes? How can you feel that same feeling, when she takes the unsullied and utters "dracaris", ever again? Knowing where it all leads.

I get that on some level for some people that makes it more profound. I don't know if I'm one of those people, I'll have to see. I feel similarly about the Jaimie ending. His whole redemption arc...kinda reversed if not wasted. 

And one of the best villains in TV history in Cersei goes out with a whimper? Maybe that's what she deserved, and maybe what actually happened was the origin story for the ACTUAL big villain finally hit it's crescendo with Dany, overshadowing Cersei. 

Idk. It was a great episode but it leaves me with some mixed feelings about arcs we watched for 9 years. 
I am doing a lot of thinking about the exact same things. 

I have no reply yet. 

I may post more later - I dunno, as it may take next week's episode to sway me one way or another. 

Yeah she sealed her own fate. I'm guessing the next episode will be the last we'll see her in

etc. 

And in Season 1, she said her brother deserves it when he got the golden crown

etc. 

She never had an issue with revenge. She always had a serious issue with people in power abusing innocent women and children. She cooked thousands of them tonight.

Her entire arc and life was devoted to not being terrible and being the savior for the poor, powerless, etc. Her then burning thousands of women and children alive seemed like a stretch to me. 
The eccentricities of the Wyrd & Targaryen fate, imo. 

I think I can make that part work for me, and still appreciate her early hope. 

The eccentricities of the Wyrd & Targaryen fate, imo. 

I think I can make that part work for me, and still appreciate her early hope. 
Maybe if I rewatched there was more buildup but she seemed totally fine until about 2 episodes ago and then all of a sudden she became super paranoid and bitter- just didn’t seem to gel and felt like they were forcing the heel turn. Maybe I missed signals earlier. 

She never had an issue with revenge. She always had a serious issue with people in power abusing innocent women and children. She cooked thousands of them tonight.
Fair point.  But she had just seen her best friend beheaded, her close friend die in battle, one of her children/dragons murdered, and two of her closest living advisors betray her, not to mention her lover betrayed her (in her view) by telling the secret about his true heritage.  She was due to blow. 

I can't understand how anyone could think that was good. So dumb. Nobody even cares if things make sense now.
Who did things that didn't make sense?

Danny cracked when she found out that the one thing she always had going for her was gone.  The throne was no longer hers by right, and she had never been rejected before.  She even said ok then i'll have to rule by fear instead.  

Grey worm might have been her moral compass, but when one of cersei's men cut his girlfriend's head off in front of him he took it badly. 

Varys was pro danny until he saw danny kill samwises dad and was like uh oh she's bad. He saw jon and decided that was the realms best chance. He died trying to be a hero, which is a fitting end considering his comment to ned in season 1. 

Tyrion wanted to avoid all the death so he sided with danny over varys. That was a mistake, but only because he put all his hopes in his brother's abilities, which has always been his flaw.  

Jon and sir davos and a bunch of other good guys were going to end cersei's reign before looking at each other like are we the baddies?  And then they retreated.  

Jamie came back to be with Cersei and got captured.  Understandable, but i can see calling it lazy writing. But it was his arc. He went from a bad guy, to a bad guy with redeeming qualities, to us hoping he was a good guy with a bad past, but then finding out he was always a deeply flawed good guy who threw his morals and everything else out the window when it came to cersei.

Cersei didn't have milk of the poppy this time, because she wasn't protecting her child from getting killed.  She needed to live because she was trying to keep her unborn baby alive.  She stayed far longer than she should have because she had no other choice and she couldn't believe that she had finally lost.  

Yuron ####### sucks.

The hound had planned to kill his brother since forever.  It was foreshadowed back in early season one. And again in season 7. That was the only thing left driving him. 

The mountain was going to protect and serve cersei over anything else except one thing.  

Qyburn didn't know that and paid the price. 

Arya went to kill the queen then clegane talked her out of it.  She took cover and saw good people die and now she's pissed. 

Everybody's decisions made sense.  You might not agree with them - especially that one character everyone liked who went on an hour long mass murder spree, i know i was like hey, stop that.  But it wasn't out of character.  

And the best part is that they built up lannister vs stark as the big confrontation and targaryen was always just kind of there. This was the real conflict.  Danny and her birthright and her dragons and killing zoron zoro ducksauce and the wizard of blue lips, and killing the masters to take the unsullied, and burning up the dothraki dudes - she's lain waste to everyone who stood in her way.  The lannisters schemed and murdered their way to power and kept it through money and armies. The starks were always the good guys who didn't want the 7 kingdoms. This makes sense. 

I am doing a lot of thinking about the exact same things. 

I have no reply yet. 

I may post more later - I dunno, as it may take next week's episode to sway me one way or another. 
Good to know I'm not the only one.

In trying to find the silver lining of how I'll react to Dany's past triumphs in future rewatches, the one thing I'm telling myself is that the warning signs will certainly stick out much more. 

The question is, will the creeping dread of seeing her overcome all those obstacles knowing where it all ends up, make for a better experience than thinking you were on the "right" side cheering for the Chosen One trope. 

Hard to say and I'll also be thinking on it. 

Fair point.  But she had just seen her best friend beheaded, her close friend die in battle, one of her children/dragons murdered, and two of her closest living advisors betray her, not to mention her lover betrayed her (in her view) by telling the secret about his true heritage.  She was due to blow. 
True but they were turning on her because she was acting crazy in the first place.

Her entire arc and life was devoted to not being terrible and being the savior for the poor, powerless, etc. Her then burning thousands of women and children alive seemed like a stretch to me. 
Maybe. I always found that as her BS statement as a defense for being why she was so rabid for the throne. She wanted the throne because she was selfish.

In the end she was a “good” character who showed moments of being evil. Tonight she went whole hog. 

@chet the explosions/percussion was the wildfire green stuff, if that's what you were asking earlier.

Loved the mad queen. Sure she could've just flown to the red keep and ended it, but she crazy.

Didn't like the cersei/Jamie end, just from revenge standpoint for the shows biggast villain.

Sorry...found the scorpions flailing this week ridiculous. Ok...yeah- she used the sun to her advantage...once...when everybodywas waiting for her.

I like the direction this went more than what I was imagining. And now I'm kinda hoping Danny gets to he queen of the ashes, with the wheel firmly in place under yet another tyrant.

Maybe if I rewatched there was more buildup but she seemed totally fine until about 2 episodes ago and then all of a sudden she became super paranoid and bitter- just didn’t seem to gel and felt like they were forcing the heel turn. Maybe I missed signals earlier. 
To be fair, I agree that the show kinda blew the proper build up. 

However, the books provide a lot more foreshadowing of this possibility - even if Dany had dodged previous put falls. 

Further, I am sorry for bringing in the books - I'm incurable. 

Users who are viewing this thread