What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Game of Thrones, tv only, books don't exist, no backstory...NERDS already ruining a series that hasn't started (7 Viewers)

Maybe - I was looking at more like (1) she just lost her ****, which isn't impossible just not that satisfying, or (2) what I'm going with given the context of the season specifically, that she realized in that moment she won, but unlike the other times when she was a hero, the people here aren't going to love her and it's going to be all wine and roses in this empire the way it was in the other one, and if she tried to make that happen it would fail.  And since it's going to fail, without love, fear is all she has.  So make them fear me.
It can be all three.  I mean she had to have know Tyrion released Jamie (doublecrossing her) and this assumes the bells were a trap and want to lead by fear.  They aren’t mutually exclusive.  

A better question is what would happen if she did call it off then (both from a logical and storytelling perceptive) especially with Jamie and Cersei presumingly having fled the Red Keep.

In the end, this is Tyrion screwing up again.

That was a long time ago.  She had 3 healthy dragons and a ton of support behind her then.  She's now feeling alone, vulnerable and she's become fully corrupted by power.  It's in her DNA to go full on psycho.  What's to say this wasn't her main MO and the whole breaker of chains things was her trying to be someone she is not. and eventually she couldn't control it anymore.  One can only put on an act for so long and she has the Targ blood in her. 
I realize this is a show where a massive gigantic zombie/turtle-looking guy can get a knife put through his face and just pull it out, but that's not really how being "crazy" works.

I realize this is a show where a massive gigantic zombie/turtle-looking guy can get a knife put through his face and just pull it out, but that's not really how being "crazy" works.
Honestly I think a more realistic decision would've been if he just bailed and flew away back to Essos. She's beloved in Essos! Da'ario (sp?) will wipe her down to her heart's content.

It can be all three.  I mean she had to have know Tyrion released Jamie (doublecrossing her) and this assumes the bells were a trap and want to lead by fear.  They aren’t mutually exclusive.  

A better question is what would happen if she did call it off then (both from a logical and storytelling perceptive) especially with Jamie and Cersei presumingly having fled the Red Keep.

In the end, this is Tyrion screwing up again.
The things we do for love.

Really, almost every "lesson" in this show boils down to an almost universal, the path to hell is paved with good intentions.

I've been thinking about Dany's turn more and the only thing that makes sense to me (in fact I hope it's somehow true and the writers reveal it next week) is that Varys WAS poisoning her. It hadn't done the job of taking her down yet, but it did poison her already fragile mind and opened her up to the madness of mass murder for murder's sake. Write that in with flashbacks and you've salvaged such a quick turn and partially redeemed the character IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ilov80s said:
It sure seemed to have landed on the good side for 7 seasons. 
To a degree.  She showed signs of flat out ruthlessness over the seven seasons.  She also, despite freeing the slaves of Slavers Bay.....had no interest in hearing the desires of the people who wanted to be free in Westeros (The North, primarily).  Add in that she lost two of her children and two of her most trusted allies....coupled with a family history of mental health AND the realization that the one thing that made her in her mind be "right" (that the Throne was rightfully and morally hers by the laws of Westeros) wasn't true anymore.

I remember the good ol days when everyone here got along well and loved the show for what it was. Oh wait, actually this show turned multiple threads into total chaos over what is considered a spoiler and book vs tv show. This is actually the calmest and most agreeable the thread has ever been.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think GRRM has been telling us Daenerys was unfit to rule for a long time - we just did not want to see that.  We wanted Daenerys to be the heroine, and so we overlooked her fatal flaws.

Even before this episode, when I was thinking about the Iron Throne, I looked at Daenerys, and thought she was a conqueror, not a ruler.  She never successfully managed to rule when she was in Meereen, and even the Dothraki, she never led - except into battle.  She has been fighting her demons since Season 1, when she let her brother get crowned, and burned the witch.

Something else I was thinking about (and I promise that this will be a better take than my first one, which I admit wasn’t so good): 

I liked how when Dany finally attacked King’s Landing it was so decisive so quickly; the outcome was never in doubt. Tyrion told us it would be like this when he tells his brother “tomorrow there isn’t going to be any iron fleet”. He knew there was no chance for Cersei’s forces. 

Andy Daly is the best GOT reviewer: https://www.vulture.com/2019/05/andy-daly-game-of-thrones-season-8-episode-5-recap.html?utm_campaign=nym&utm_source=fb&utm_medium=s1&fbclid=IwAR0wgUlfDXM7JZQLOm3VRmyiizPG25hc2QA-9xzBwsHqAgZeEhKItwdffW4

But wait, what’s that? Daenerys looking crazed and panting atop her one sharp-eyed dragon? Don’t tell me she didn’t bring snacks along for the big battle! If she still hasn’t eaten, her blood sugar must be terribly low and there’s no telling what she’ll do!! Oh nooooo.

I've been thinking about Dany's turn more and the only thing that makes sense to me (in fact I hope it's somehow true and the writers reveal it next week) is that Varys WAS poisoning her. It hadn't done the job of taking her down yet, but it did poison her already fragile mind and opened her up to the madness of mass murder for murder's sake. Write that in with flashbacks and you've salvaged such a quick turn and partially redeemed the character IMO.
I hope by this you mean Varys.

This is almost as bad as when people were thinking Bran caused the Mad King to go mad by whispering in the wind...

I think GRRM has been telling us Daenerys was unfit to rule for a long time - we just did not want to see that.  We wanted Daenerys to be the heroine, and so we overlooked her fatal flaws.

Even before this episode, when I was thinking about the Iron Throne, I looked at Daenerys, and thought she was a conqueror, not a ruler.  She never successfully managed to rule when she was in Meereen, and even the Dothraki, she never led - except into battle.  She has been fighting her demons since Season 1, when she let her brother get crowned, and burned the witch.
This is series long rug that was puled out from under us. You're right, all of the clues were there, but we continued to hope for our hero to prevail. Well, she did win, except she's no hero. She turned out to be the biggest villain in the show (maybe the history of Westeros), and we've been rooting for her all along. Brilliant. 

How dare you ruin my favorite character.  Ned Stark would never have caught that easily and even if he was he'd never have lied and admitted to treason. 

How dare you kill my favorite character.  Robb would never have gone back on his word. And he'd never fall in love with some random woman when he was honour bound to avenge his father.  

How dare you....

We could do this all day.  It's just easier to second guess the show runners because it's the end of the show and there's no source material to act as canon so people want things the way they wanted them.  
Well put. The lack of books and the two year hiatus have created a situation where EVERYONE who is invested in it more than the average viewer has spent time plotting out how it's going to end.  

This is almost as bad as when people were thinking Bran caused the Mad King to go mad by whispering in the wind...
Apples and oranges.

If Varys did poison Dany but instead of killing her caused her already fragile psyche to go over the tipping point, he is also indirectly responsible for the genocide at Kings Landing. That seems like a very GoT thing to do.

no way they do that

Blech, there better not be a single episode redemption arc in the series finale. No thank you; I'm already concerned with how little time is left.
why?  Its over.   rest is gratuitous.

story arc:   a lot of bad stuff happens, a redemptive queen arises from the east, she goes mental and burns everything down.   The end.   Honestly if they just ended it last night, this would go down as the best single episode of all time.   

Remember when she got so shook from her dragon torching one little kid that she locked them in a vault for a season or two (?). She's always been pretty brutal towards people that she felt were against her, or were unjust in some way. Cool. And being the "breaker of chains", she's always leveraged fighting against slavery, oppression, etc. to get the commonfolk on her side. Remember when she crowd-surfed via the thankful people in Essos? That's kind of her main MO. Doesn't make sense to just completely flip like that. I can't buy it.
She never wanted to break the wheel.  She wanted to be on top.  Once she came to Westeros and didn't allow the North to leave as they wanted was telling....and pretty much mitigated all the good she did in Essos. 

story arc:   a lot of bad stuff happens, a redemptive queen arises from the east, she goes mental and burns everything down.   The end.   Honestly if they just ended it last night, this would go down as the best single episode of all time.   
only question left is what will john do?

Gotta have the emotional impact of Jon having to take out Aunt Dany. I imagine it's going to be quite powerful.

I don't see why they limited it to 6 episodes.  All of these distinct changes in major characters needed to be fleshed out.  If they would have had 2 more episodes they could have made these proclamations and character changes so much better.  Having flashback episodes via Bran would actually make him mildly useful.

Apples and oranges.

If Varys did poison Dany but instead of killing her caused her already fragile psyche to go over the tipping point, he is also indirectly responsible for the genocide at Kings Landing. That seems like a very GoT thing to do.
Daenerys went mad - because the coin-flip came up mad.

She was always leaning that way - she was quite clearly psychotic - she finally went over the edge on top of Kings Landing.

Just think back to when she fried the Tarley's - and when she told Samwell about it this season - she thought it was no big deal.  Never occured to her that burning people might not be a good thing.

So, her madness was always there - and the confluence of events leading up to last night's episode simply pushed her over the edge.

I don't see why they limited it to 6 episodes.  All of these distinct changes in major characters needed to be fleshed out.  If they would have had 2 more episodes they could have made these proclamations and character changes so much better.  Having flashback episodes via Bran would actually make him mildly useful.
There is this concept of money.

To be fair - the length of the episodes this season are worth about 2 more normal-length episodes.

More episodes...more money.  HBO has very little else, so I would imagine they'd be in for 20 episodes.
I don't think that works in a subscription model as much as you think.  I'd imagine this is a loss leader for them, if not a giant money pit.  

Not sure if they publish financials or how you would evaluate them.  They could have stretched the content just on runtime alone out to 9 episodes this season and they chose not to.  Probably because they were paying the principals on a per episode basis. (maybe)

This is series long rug that was puled out from under us. You're right, all of the clues were there, but we continued to hope for our hero to prevail. Well, she did win, except she's no hero. She turned out to be the biggest villain in the show (maybe the history of Westeros), and we've been rooting for her all along. Brilliant. 
She was more of an anti-hero to me, but I’ve never fully understood why everyone thought she was a force for good. She only cared about power. Anyone that posed the slightest threat to her rise in power was vanquished in ruthless fashion.   

She never had to actually rule. I’m not convinced she would be much different than Cersei once she has all the power. Her game would change from accumulating power to doing whatever it takes to preserve it. 

To be fair - the length of the episodes this season are worth about 2 more normal-length episodes.
I get that, but important things were cut short or glossed over.  Some of it was just the way they chose to sequence things, but some of these things were easy fixes.  A scene between Khaleesi and Missandei where she just unloads all of her issues to her as the one person she trusted and having Missandei play into her paranoia and showing the beginning of the meltdown could have made the rest of what happens a much smoother transition.

I know, I'm going to get the "whining because it didn't end the way you thought" junk, but:

My take was that the people around Dany were scared because they thought she would stoop to killing innocents to get to Cersei and the throne.  That is why she started letting people in King's Landing - to make the forces go through innocent people, which she didn't think they'd do.  BUT, I still thought the end game was getting to Cersei (basically she was staring at the Red Keep while sitting on the wall, right?).  So when she took off, I thought oh #### - she is going to fly straight at the keep, destroy it, but on the the way maybe carve a path in the city to #### stuff up and strike fear into the people of KL.  I just thought it was a weird turn to see her systematically circling through and destroying everything and everyone.  
I thought the same, jack up some stuff, flex a lil' bit for the wee folk then trash the Red Keep. Umm...guess nah? :oldunsure: The Snickers commercial is going to be epic though!

The show told us this was coming.  They showed the throne room burned down with ashes falling.  Danny literally told us exactly what she was going to do. It wasn't until we saw it that we realized just how awful it was.  It wasn't a bunch of soldiers and also some commoners.  She went street by street through that huge city and burned it to the ground.  And then we realized what it had meant to be cheering for the dragon queen to go home and conquer the seven kingdoms. 

I love it. 
I mentioned it earlier, the show has telegraphed everything that has happened and we keep trying to come with elaborate reasons it should do this or go that way. All the while they stick to the obvious and some of us are shocked when it actually happens.

Bolded is pure gold. Once again @Boston Fred running away with the innernets today :thumbup: :thumbup:

Still trying to interpret the Arya situation.
Same, I mentioned it earlier in my post about the episode, just not sure where this leave Arya? I feel like she'll be involved because Hollywood and all but I think I'd be cool with a cut to her on boat entering the harbor of Braavos.

I don't think that works in a subscription model as much as you think.  I'd imagine this is a loss leader for them, if not a giant money pit.  

Not sure if they publish financials or how you would evaluate them.  They could have stretched the content just on runtime alone out to 9 episodes this season and they chose not to.  Probably because they were paying the principals on a per episode basis. (maybe)
If they got to 9 episodes that would be an extra month of payments for all the cable cutters who only subscribe when GOT is on.

Users who are viewing this thread