What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Game of Thrones, tv only, books don't exist, no backstory...NERDS already ruining a series that hasn't started (7 Viewers)

I'm many pages behind, so this might have been covered.  Two things:

1.  I was happy with the way that Dany's motives for burning down King's Landing were described in a more "understandable" way, as if she thought that were necessary in order to "break the wheel" and blah blah for the future.  Might give Dany Fan Boys a little more comfort in light of last week's episode.

2.  As to the above quotes...I realized that, through the entire series, I didn't know from whose perspective we were meant to be seeing this.  Lots of evidence it might be a Lannister or a Baratheon, and with Ned Stark's demise in Season 1 and many others at the Red Wedding, didn't seem the Stark house we should follow?  This episode placed us firmly in the camp that we should have been seeing the Starks as the protagonists all along, with one King of Westeros, one queen of the North, and two off to do their own things. But RIP to Robb and Rickon (just swerve!).
 There’s one more main character you are forgetting

Sansa declares the North's freedom and everyone else is just like "cool, and yea, we don't want ours, we're good"
I totally agree. Such nonsense. 

A slight alteration makes this more believable. No more seven kingdoms, the throne is destroyed. 

We will all rule our own land and have a council, with Bran as advisor to all. 

But no, let’s let the North go independent. And we will let ourselves be ruled by a Stark.

Unreal. 

Honestly, it felt like someone trying to justify Bran’s existence. 

This schmuck has done nothing and we have given him a boat load of screen time.  How do we reconcile that?

Give him the throne at the end!  LOL

One of the things that makes a show or book really great in my opinion, is the ability to tell multiple stories to multiple audiences at the same time.

I think the show and book achieved that.

The story I observed, I loved.

However, I am fully aware that other aspects and stories told may be much less satisfying.

Thus, I don't want to try and change anyone's perspective, but - dang'it, I want to sing about what I loved.

Lots of powerful moments early in the episode. The destruction in the city. The Queen's army triumphant with the Dothraki raising their weapons. Chilling. Tyrion. Wow. Series MVP by far. Jon did what we knew he had to in the end. For a second i thought maybe Jon stabbed himself. Loved Drogon melting the throne. Didn't care for Bran's selection. It should have been Jon, but how do you get him to the throne with Dany's army there? Also didn't like rewarding Bronn given his last scene in Winterfell threatening to kill Jamie and Tyrion. Should have been told to pound sand. Don't quite get Arya going off to be Dora the Explorer but i guess she is still looking for her place in this world. All in all, not the ending I would have chosen, but I thought to myself as much as I hated seeing Dany go Sith the last episode it, it made this one so intense to start out with. It had me in it's grip like never before. That's damn good television. I understand the dislike for how they played out the end and kind of agree. Wouldn't have minded the tension until the end. Didn't need to see their version of the star Wars medal ceremony scene. I did like seeing Tyrion as hand though. Any screen time with him is good screen time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe I misheard at the small council but didn’t Davos, in his bid to get the Unsullied to back off killing Jon, offer up Eastmarch or something saying you can have the land and start your own house. Um, with what? They ain’t got the plumbing man!

Did you see the Holy Grail angle at all?
No idea.  

Earlier this evening, I asked Mr. krista what he'd like to see in the final episode, and he said, "I want a Magna Carta."  While he didn't quite get that, I think the "we're abolishing rule by inheritance" seems pretty close, along with the new council.  I"d read the spoilers and I was prepared to be VERY angry if Bran got the throne, but then with the way it was done, I got it.  Completely.

Maybe I misheard at the small council but didn’t Davis, in his bid to get the Unsullied to back off killing Jon, offer up Eastmarch or something saying you can have the one Nd start your own house. Um, with what? They ain’t got the plumbing man!
Yeah - he said it. My guess - it will be a short lived house.

Unless they promote the common folk, which wound not be out of character.

No idea.  

Earlier this evening, I asked Mr. krista what he'd like to see in the final episode, and he said, "I want a Magna Carta."  While he didn't quite get that, I think the "we're abolishing rule by inheritance" seems pretty close, along with the new council.  I"d read the spoilers and I was prepared to be VERY angry if Bran got the throne, but then with the way it was done, I got it.  Completely.
Cool. That fits in great with my War of the Roses comparison and the entrance of a new age, but it steps quite a bit further ahead, imo.

The political side was harder for me to follow.

Thnx.

Cool. That fits in great with my War of the Roses comparison and the entrance of a new age, but it steps quite a bit further ahead, imo.

The political side was harder for me to follow.

Thnx.
Sorry, I've skipped over your discussions here as they were beyond my knowlege of literature, etc.  So I'm just going with my normal watching without reference to anything else.

Enjoyed the first half but the final 30 minutes definitely felt forced and dragged a bit.  Loved seeing Jon reunite with Ghost but other than that was hoping for a less Hollywood ending. Not sure this is what GRRM had in mind.  

Amazing show overall.  Up there with Breaking Bad, The Wire, Sopranos, Mad Men and Fargo.  

John chose duty over love, I get it but it mucked up the throne.  Tyrion killing Dany instead of confronting her seemed to be the money play and Jon gets his rightful throne.

Started off historically great.  Ended cliche tv.

Ah well, at least the books will finish this off right.  I mean, if they ever get written.

Drat.

Maybe I'll start that Wheel of Time series everyone always talks about.

Maybe I'll just re-read Lord of the Rings again.  That one always sticks the landing. :)

There are some people here who clearly have been disappointed in the season (or maybe multiple seasons).  Totally get that.  So I’m wondering...could you sketch out the season you wanted?  I don’t mean “so-and-so shouldn’t have done that?” But a true reimagining.

You have a blank slate and 400 or so minutes to fill it out.  What are your major plot points and character arcs?  In detail...

I mean this only to say, as a smart collective what could be better?  And again this doesn’t mean random criticisms but a complete and satisfying story.  How are we getting from Point A (end of Season 7) to your desired end of Season 8?  In detail...

Bran can worg into animals!  Totally useless.

Arya trains for like 3 years of TV time to take on other people's identity!  Totally useless other than killing a guy with like 3 minutes of screen time in a 30 second scene.

OMG Jon is a Targaryen!  Literally has no effect in how things played out.

Gendry is the last Baratheon!  Doesn't matter at all.

Master of Whispers!  Dies yelling "let's commit treason!" through a megaphone.

"This is not going to have a happy ending".  Has basically the happiest ending possible.

This wasn't a Dexter level falloff, but I never imaged GoT could get this close.  Both once historically great shows turned to network/hollywood crap.

Enjoyed the first half but the final 30 minutes definitely felt forced and dragged a bit.  Loved seeing Jon reunite with Ghost but other than that was hoping for a less Hollywood ending. Not sure this is what GRRM had in mind.  

Amazing show overall.  Up there with Breaking Bad, The Wire, Sopranos, Mad Men and Fargo.  
It was up with those shows until it surpassed the books, and I don't even read the books. But I was expecting it to land in my top five until it went off the rails last season. And four of those shows are in my top six.

It was up with those shows until it surpassed the books, and I don't even read the books. But I was expecting it to land in my top five until it went off the rails last season. And four of those shows are in my top six.
It was easily #1 for me through 6 seasons.  But then again Dexter was top 3 through its first four seasons.  I don't think it's even a discussion as to whether or not it hung around that territory in the end.  Even those that liked the last 2 seasons of GoT can admit that a most feel it fell off massively and out of that tier entirely.

Somebody explain the "Holy Grail" concept to me like I'm a politics forum regular.

Did I' miss the equivalent to the Cup of Christ or something?

There are some people here who clearly have been disappointed in the season (or maybe multiple seasons).  Totally get that.  So I’m wondering...could you sketch out the season you wanted?  I don’t mean “so-and-so shouldn’t have done that?” But a true reimagining.

You have a blank slate and 400 or so minutes to fill it out.  What are your major plot points and character arcs?  In detail...

I mean this only to say, as a smart collective what could be better?  And again this doesn’t mean random criticisms but a complete and satisfying story.  How are we getting from Point A (end of Season 7) to your desired end of Season 8?  In detail...
I had to open up my calculator - and then I could not find it - I've already wasted s0ome time - but, I don't know how much.

Can ya give me an PST or PDT or call an EMT...

No idea.  

PS You're totally heartless ;)

Overall though, it doesn't matter who got the "throne". That's not the point. It's who is in "power" and directing the politics. It's now Tyrion, Bronn, Davos and Sam. And Those people are the "perfect" people in a position to make that world right. At least we're led to believe that. 

And I should stop with the quotations.

This ending was manufactured to pick up the series again in 10 years or do a billion-dollar trilogy.  They pretty much said so.

Arya on her journey.  Jon on his.  Unsullied a threat now.  The dragon is in play still.

Users who are viewing this thread