What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Game of Thrones, tv only, books don't exist, no backstory...NERDS already ruining a series that hasn't started (9 Viewers)

There are some people here who clearly have been disappointed in the season (or maybe multiple seasons).  Totally get that.  So I’m wondering...could you sketch out the season you wanted?  I don’t mean “so-and-so shouldn’t have done that?” But a true reimagining.

You have a blank slate and 400 or so minutes to fill it out.  What are your major plot points and character arcs?  In detail...

I mean this only to say, as a smart collective what could be better?  And again this doesn’t mean random criticisms but a complete and satisfying story.  How are we getting from Point A (end of Season 7) to your desired end of Season 8?  In detail...
I didn't have a desired end to season 8.  I just wanted them to tell me a complete story that was thought out and had depth to it rather than giving me the Cliff's Notes version of everything, no matter where they decided to take it.

We lost Varys for two seasons, but then he's suddenly writing letters again.  To whom?  Why wasn't he doing this kind of thing all along?  It spawned tons of great material we lost. When Tywin was writing letters, we got a Red Wedding payoff.  Back when Varys was relevant, we got great dialogue and politics with him, Tyrion and Littlefinger. Now it's just 5 minutes of desperation leading nowhere.

Tyrion went from "a mind needs books like a sword needs a whetstone" to the biggest idiot in Westeros.  Why? Dany's army was too big when she sailed across the sea and they needed it to not be a slaughter.  That's poor planning and writing, and the character suffered because of it.

In one episode Jaime went from deciding to live in the North, which he hates, to going back to his sister.  Give me something showing him trying to be happy and make a life of it, but struggling to make it work.  Give me a progression.  Tell me his story.  That's what this show did incredibly well in the early seasons.

Jon and Dany went from adversarial to boatsex to madly in love in about 5 minutes, all completely off screen.

The biggest secret in this story was Jon's parentage. The scene where Jon finds out from Sam was pretty great.  We get the cutaway when his siblingcousins find out?  That's a terrible decision.  

Did you know Euron has a great backstory?  He's a complete badass, who has seen parts of the world nobody else in Westeros dreams of visiting.  He plays mind games at a level beyond Ramsay and is as shrewd as Tywin.  Instead of developing a great villain, they handed us a book of knock knock jokes. 

Hell, even in this last episode, we missed out on a reunion of Sansa and Sweetrobin that could have paid off some of those early season scenes.  Edmure just re-appears out of nowhere?  Jaime was headed north.  He couldn't have grabbed Edmure on the way to help fight with his nieces and nephews?  Could have been an "in" when he got to Winterfell, too. 

Hey, did you know there's a new Prince of Dorn?  

That's off the top of my head.  But things like this are where the "It's rushed" complaints come from.  We went from scheming and strategy and clever to **** jokes and last action hero scenes.  In a way, it almost feels like the increased budget allowed them to rely less on their writing ability.  

And don't give me detailed background on #### you don't intend to use.  I'm fine that they left things from the books out of the story.  That makes sense and was necessary.  But don't then incorporate things you don't intend to use at all. 

Mel hammered the Prince That Was Promised prophecy from the time we first see her on screen.  I believe there were even references to it into Season 7.  But you knew Arya was killing the NK 3 years ago?  Then find a way to get away from it at that point.  Don't just leave it hanging at the end. 

Darth Vader: If you only knew the power of The Dark Side! Obi-Wan never told you what happened to your father. 
Luke Skywalker: He told me enough! He told me you killed him! 
Darth Vader: No. I am your father. 
Luke Skywalker: No... that's not true! That's impossible! 
Darth Vader: Search your feelings. You know it to be true. 
Luke Skywalker: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! NOOOOOOOO!

Then Luke kills the Emperor, the death star 2 explodes killing Vader, and at the end ghost yoda, obi-wan, and anakin appear without another word of parentage ever being spoken.

"Hey, what was up with that whole Vader being Luke's father thing?  They never mentioned it again and it contributed nothing to the outcome of the movie."

:shrug:

In no particular order:

--Sansa whining about how much the North has lost in the war was a tone deaf statement to make in King's Landing. Made me see her as still the petulant child she was when she was looking forward to marrying Joffrey.

--Arya is now part Dora the Explorer and part Anthony Bourdain.  We knew it was coming, I just didn't like seeing her on a ship with the house Stark emblem on the sail. I guess she's done trying to stay low-profile...?

--Wanted to see more 'build-up' to Tyrion weeping for his siblings.  He spent the entire story at serious odds with Cersei, so I would have liked to see him struggle a little more with letting go of all those years of animosity. 

--Speaking of the gravity of the moment, the scene with Jon and Drogon felt incomplete, like there was still some sort of communication between them that was missing. That would probably have been too much of a strain on Kit Harrington's acting ability, however.

--Didn't like Bronn just showing up for the small council meeting with no mention of the last time we saw him and Tyrion.  No doubt they had met up before, but they were always good for quality screen time together, and resolving their spat would have been worth seeing.  At the very least, after Tyrion asked Bronn if the realm's debt to Highgarden was settled, I would have liked to see Tyrion reach out and punch Bronn in the nose to square their personal beef.

I didn't have a desired end to season 8.  I just wanted them to tell me a complete story that was thought out and had depth to it rather than giving me the Cliff's Notes version of everything, no matter where they decided to take it.

We lost Varys for two seasons, but then he's suddenly writing letters again.  To whom?  Why wasn't he doing this kind of thing all along?  It spawned tons of great material we lost. When Tywin was writing letters, we got a Red Wedding payoff.  Back when Varys was relevant, we got great dialogue and politics with him, Tyrion and Littlefinger. Now it's just 5 minutes of desperation leading nowhere.

Tyrion went from "a mind needs books like a sword needs a whetstone" to the biggest idiot in Westeros.  Why? Dany's army was too big when she sailed across the sea and they needed it to not be a slaughter.  That's poor planning and writing, and the character suffered because of it.

In one episode Jaime went from deciding to live in the North, which he hates, to going back to his sister.  Give me something showing him trying to be happy and make a life of it, but struggling to make it work.  Give me a progression.  Tell me his story.  That's what this show did incredibly well in the early seasons.

Jon and Dany went from adversarial to boatsex to madly in love in about 5 minutes, all completely off screen.

The biggest secret in this story was Jon's parentage. The scene where Jon finds out from Sam was pretty great.  We get the cutaway when his siblingcousins find out?  That's a terrible decision.  

Did you know Euron has a great backstory?  He's a complete badass, who has seen parts of the world nobody else in Westeros dreams of visiting.  He plays mind games at a level beyond Ramsay and is as shrewd as Tywin.  Instead of developing a great villain, they handed us a book of knock knock jokes. 

Hell, even in this last episode, we missed out on a reunion of Sansa and Sweetrobin that could have paid off some of those early season scenes.  Edmure just re-appears out of nowhere?  Jaime was headed north.  He couldn't have grabbed Edmure on the way to help fight with his nieces and nephews?  Could have been an "in" when he got to Winterfell, too. 

Hey, did you know there's a new Prince of Dorn?  

That's off the top of my head.  But things like this are where the "It's rushed" complaints come from.  We went from scheming and strategy and clever to **** jokes and last action hero scenes.  In a way, it almost feels like the increased budget allowed them to rely less on their writing ability.  
I'm not understanding the Jamie hate.  Cersei's his drug. He's an addict. It's that simple.  The character in as much beat us over the head with what he wanted in life for 8 seasons.  

I'm not understanding the Jamie hate.  Cersei's his drug. He's an addict. It's that simple.  The character in as much beat us over the head with what he wanted in life for 8 seasons.  
Except for that one episode where he didn't and then changed his mind back, both with no real explanation

That’s the next show they are doing, it’s called Confederacy. At least they do have 2 black writers working with them but given how they have handled diversity and violence in GoT, I can understand why there has been a huge backlash against it and some have wondered if this is going to be slavery fan fiction.

No we dont....tyrion survives...
so, lemme get this straight - Varys is summarily disposed of via "DRACARYS!", yet, her hand ... a man who was in much higher standing/regard, betrays her on the eve of her greatest triumph - effectively giving Dany's ONE TRUE NEMESIS (Cersei) a possible escape route, but, after his capture he is relegated to the cleaning closet of the Red Keep rather than the business end of Drogon. 

got it. 

That’s the next show they are doing, it’s called Confederacy. At least they do have 2 black writers working with them but given how they have handled diversity and violence in GoT, I can understand why there has been a huge backlash against it and some have wondered if this is going to be slavery fan fiction.
I thought that got cancelled. The next thing they're going to do which will be banned in Alabama is Star Wars.

so, lemme get this straight - Varys is summarily disposed of via "DRACARYS!", yet, her hand ... a man who was in much higher standing/regard, betrays her on the eve of her greatest triumph - effectively giving Dany's ONE TRUE NEMESIS (Cersei) a possible escape route, but, after his capture he is relegated to the cleaning closet of the Red Keep rather than the business end of Drogon. 

got it. 
Tryion was hand at the end of their outline so coherence be damned

I think the writers were inconsistent with Bran's powers.  We know that he can see all past events - he's not all knowing, but if he wants he can find a past event and watch it unfold.  But I didn't think he could see into the future. So when Tyrion asks him if he will accept the crown, Bran replies with something like "Why do you think I came here?"  How would Bran have known that Tyrion was going to nominate him for king?
Same way the old dude knew Bran was going to be the new 3-eyed Raven. 

Imagine actually caring about this. What is wrong with people. JFC
Agreed weird complaint to me.  The only reason it was done this way so Tyrion could find their bodies. That set up the entire episode.
I missed whatever the argument was originally about.

but yeah- it was clearly done so that tyrion could find them and set up the rest of his reactions. but to me- is weak writing. :shrug:  

How is this dumb?  Why would anyone not want Jon to talk to her.  They’re on the same side.  
Greyworm saw the look of disgust on Jon's face during the siege of KL last week, then knocked heads this week over the slaughter of the surrendered Lannister troops ... Greyworm was a pretty one dimensional character, so i would've expected him to extremely wary of allowing Snow that private time. 

got it. 
He set jamie free....i doubt she knows about the cersei escape plan.....tyrion wasnt dying...he jon n arya were safe survival bet....

This entire series was an inevitable let down imo.  When we first started watching it was cool because it eluded to all of the supernatural things like dragons.  They slowly introduced stuff, an it was cool when we saw a dragon or a white Walker.  By the end of the series we were basically watching Jurassic Park.
The very opening scene was with a zombie or white walker, wasn’t it?  

I missed whatever the argument was originally about.

but yeah- it was clearly done so that tyrion could find them and set up the rest of his reactions. but to me- is weak writing. :shrug:  
That's just trying to cram way too much into the last season though.  The lead up to the final battle should've been multiple episodes.  Same with the aftermath.

My wife is in Spain right now trying to stay spoiler free until Saturday.  If anyone has an idea how she could actually watch it would be appreciated 

This was just another sign of how they rushed the final season.

They basically skipped weeks of Tyrion and Jon as prisoners, explained everything to the other houses and brought them into this council hearing thing.

I thought overall the episode was very good for the first half...then just tried to tie everything up quickly and nice and neat and happy
And if they would have shown all that you guys would be complaining about how boring it was. 

He set jamie free....i doubt she knows about the cersei escape plan.....tyrion wasnt dying...he jon n arya were safe survival bet....
yeah -  i hear ya, Bike ... and i get why it played out (hell, i took the Bran/Tyrion exacta in the GoT odds thread) 

just felt hack and sloppy to me. 

funny thing? i'll survive  :banned:

You want to spend a half hour of tyrion digging in rubble?
Show Tyrion finding a massive pile of rubble. Show him moving a brick or two. Cut away to a different scene. Cut back to Tyrion, exhausted, having made some headway but still digging through the pile, finally spotting Jaime's hand.

Not that hard.

Edit: For the record, I didn't mind the scene at all, but "what, you want us to spend a half hour watching him dig?" is a silly argument. 

Last edited by a moderator:
How is this dumb?  Why would anyone not want Jon to talk to her.  They’re on the same side.  
Plus Drogon was guarding her.  Just so happens Jon is the one person Drogon would let by and that was after a bunch of sniffs.  That part I don’t have a problem with.  It’s everything after Drogon incinerates the Iron Throne.  They should have just ended it there. 

it sounds dumb and not worth the risk imo.  with all the possible stuff they could do they choose that?  why?

her?

The guards let Jon talk to Tyrion who was just held for treason.
didn't cersei's guards take his sword and scabbard before Jon goes in to see her? you could quibble that he snuck a dagger past them somehow... but it doesn't bother me that they let him in to see dany. 

and I thought that part of the story was well done- who's going to stop her at this point... either Jon, or Arya in disguise. 

for me, I actually started to buy into her story at the end- she wasn't ####### around with breaking the wheel... she was going to take down every form of leadership everywhere she could reach. of course, she was ignoring herself- which Jon touched on- and was the obvious flaw in her plan. but at least in that last scene with her, and the scene with tyrion, you could Jon wrapping his head around the idea... which made me start to wonder too. 

This entire series was an inevitable let down imo.  When we first started watching it was cool because it eluded to all of the supernatural things like dragons.  They slowly introduced stuff, an it was cool when we saw a dragon or a white Walker.  By the end of the series we were basically watching Jurassic Park.
yep.

and I hear this argument in TWD thread... oh- it's about zombies, why should anything make sense. oh- it's about dragons and ####, why should the rest of it make any sense. because they had it all make complete sense for so long and then just gave up. that's what disappoints me the most- I love fantasy; but like any other genre fantasy can be absolute crap if not written well in a way that makes sense- from a social-emotional sense to a scientific sense. GoT laid it all down so incredibly well- these "little" moments in the last season that break from all of that add up to a genuine and glaring disappointment. my 2c.

didn't cersei's guards take his sword and scabbard before Jon goes in to see her? you could quibble that he snuck a dagger past them somehow... but it doesn't bother me that they let him in to see dany. 

and I thought that part of the story was well done- who's going to stop her at this point... either Jon, or Arya in disguise. 

for me, I actually started to buy into her story at the end- she wasn't ####### around with breaking the wheel... she was going to take down every form of leadership everywhere she could reach. of course, she was ignoring herself- which Jon touched on- and was the obvious flaw in her plan. but at least in that last scene with her, and the scene with tyrion, you could Jon wrapping his head around the idea... which made me start to wonder too. 
Im son confused. Tyrion is a male.

I didn't think it was dumb that Jon was able to speak with Dany. I thought it was dumb she was virtually unguarded.

I thought it was dumb that the guards would let Jon speak to Tyrion, a traitor (according to Dany).

it sounds dumb and not worth the risk imo.  with all the possible stuff they could do they choose that?  why?
No idea. The impression I’ve gotten from them is that they are pretty smarmy so I’m sure it’s their arrogance. They want to do it and think they know best. It probably would have been smarter to allow the black writers to take the lead and be the face of the show and announcement.

Show Tyrion finding a massive pile of rubble. Show him moving a brick or two. Cut away to a different scene. Cut back to Tyrion, exhausted, having made some headway but still digging through the pile, finally spotting Jaime's hand.

Not that hard.

Edit: For the record, I didn't mind the scene at all, but "what, you want us to spend a half hour watching him dig?" is a silly argument. 
helloexactly.

it's called writing and editing. not that hard to convey the story in a way that works better and is consistent with things that aren't fantasy dragons...like gravity. 

Im son confused. Tyrion is a male.

I didn't think it was dumb that Jon was able to speak with Dany. I thought it was dumb she was virtually unguarded.

I thought it was dumb that the guards would let Jon speak to Tyrion, a traitor (according to Dany).
I don't understand the first part.

second- I mentioned that her guards essentially frisked him outside of the throne room. I guess you were expecting guards to be standing around her too? that doesn't bother me that they weren't.

yeah... I guess the guards should know better. but he's basically her boyfriend, and the king of the north... he kinda outranks them. so again, no real problem for me.

Yes and S1 ended with dragons being born. They let us know that it is fantasy and not pure medieval politics but there is no doubt the frequency and intensity of those fantasy elements ramped up enormously. For some that’s a good thing, for others it was a turnoff.

So it's basically Harry Turtledove's "Southern Victory"?

Show developer David Benioff said he was inspired to explore this concept by "the famous story of when Robert E. Lee was invading the North. Not the Gettysburg invasion, but an earlier one. And the set of orders got misplaced and were found by a Northern soldier. 

Being emotionally attached to a character isn’t the same as wondering about the logistics of some bricks falling on people. Come on. 
I've been emotionally attached the show- and all the characters. when the writing went weak- and yes, these are little things, but they all add up- it created a detachment from the show and characters for me. still a big fan of the over-all show, but this last season and into last season felt like too many poorly written moments that hadn't been there as obviously in previous seasons. dropped the overall level for me. 

You want to spend a half hour of tyrion digging in rubble?
writing. editing. *solved*

Users who are viewing this thread