What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Game of Thrones, tv only, books don't exist, no backstory...NERDS already ruining a series that hasn't started (2 Viewers)

Pretty sure the dude spying on the Night Watchmen, via the owl, would have seen Jon Snow ...
In a world where multiple people can see through the eyes of animals they really should kill every bird that just happens to be looking over their battle organization before a big invasion.
I said this exact same thing while watching it. Why arn't they just killing every owl/bird that lands close to the wall?
I think most people don't believe wargs exist.
This. Wargs are right up there with snarks and grumpkins. White walkers were nothing but a legend. They didn't even believe Jon Snow about the giants until Thorne was looking down at one for himself.

The only scene that left me flat was the candlelight chat with Maester Aemon. I didn't really get the point of that one, kinda similar to beetle chat last week. Usually when he's on screen we get some insight into important stuff, so it was a bit of a letdown when all he did was wax nostalgic about some chick. I guess I didn't really need presaging of the whole love lost thing because I knew what was coming, so maybe it did more for the pure show viewers?
I'm going to guess that who that "some chick" is of importance down the line.

Last night was probably the first time I felt myself thinking "jeez...is this thing almost over?" while watching GoT.

Good episode but an entire hour of LoTR-like fighting is too much.
Yep, I've never complained about an episode before but LOTR is a good description.

Last night was probably the first time I felt myself thinking "jeez...is this thing almost over?" while watching GoT.

Good episode but an entire hour of LoTR-like fighting is too much.
Yep, I've never complained about an episode before but LOTR is a good description.
Glad i wasnt the only one. While some episodes have been less dramatic or enthralling than others, I never once felt a desire to turn it off. This one however had me wishing it would end on more than one occasion.

Almost feel ashamed to think that with how many hours of pure entertainment this show given me.

One thing I gotta disagree with what Sepinwall mentioned above. I think Jon Snow is an awesome character. I love him. One of the few true heroes this show has and theres nothing wrong with Kit Harrington's acting. Im a big fan.
That sounds like something a book reader would say :oldunsure:

Good action but didnt feel like a game of thrones episode. Good guys won, not much was resolved, nobody we cared about died, and jon snow is heading back out again.
Ygritte killed one of the hapless crows we liked, then the kid killed her, and the crow that held the gate was one of the more likable ones. In typical GoT fashion, sir Janos slynt made it through. None of these dead guys are major players, but they had likable traits.
i don't know what it is, but i think i'm the only person who really liked the head of the Thens. Just seemed like a badass, was a shame he died.

also a little whacky that he slammed jon snow's head against that blacksmith anvil and he was fine like nothing happened, but i'm nit-picking, just pissy the giants and leader of the Thens died
I would have to review the scene but if he hit the anvil towards the top of frontal bone, just above the sinuses, which is the hardest part of the skull, it is plausible (maybe not likely but plausible) that it would have been a recoverable blow.

Alternatively if he hit the anvil with the hardest part of the script then that could explain his resilience as well.

So is John Snow going beyond the wall to try and kill Mance Radernation? Why wouldn't he take his sword? Maybe he is going to try and convince them he is still a Wild Thing.
That part makes no sense to me, unless he reunites somehow with Bran and both dogs.
So you think Mance's army would let a crow with a sword get near Mance?
Does Mance know that Snow betrayed them?
Pretty sure the dude spying on the Night Watchmen, via the owl, would have seen Jon Snow ...
The guy with the Owl was with the smaller group that came through the front door, he is now dead. So Mance probably does not know.

So one more episode lasting a little more than an hour. If I had to guess:

20% is Sansa, Arya, Hound, Littlefinger reunion (perhaps with Brienne as well, since she was headed toward the same place.)

10% is Dany basically doing nothing (she's done nothing all season.)

10% is Reek/Theon and Ramsay plotting some kind of ####.

10% Stannis and Witchy woman.

50% King's Landing.

We won't see any of Jon Snow, Sam, or Bran.

Last edited by a moderator:

20% is Sansa, Arya, Hound, Littlefinger reunion (perhaps with Brienne as well, since she was headed toward the same place.)

50% King's Landing.

Jon and Bran were both in the trailer.

50% King's Landing.

Jon and Bran were both in the trailer.
Lol- I didn't see it. Oh well.

Points of note:

1. so glad they didn't have Sam take out Ygritte with the crossbow.

2. those giants were awesome. Liked how the one giant got super pissed off when his dad(?) got skewered.

3. Manse isn't exactly a tactical genious. Crawling up the wall worked great for that first group of people. We've got some more wall climbers. How about we wait until the big fight and have the rest of the wall climbers climb the humongous wall right underneath the castle instead of sending them over prior to the attack and attack along the wall or reinforce the existing wall climbers.

4. I thought there were only slightly more than 100 defenders at Castle Black. Sure seemed like alot more: between the number of guys killed, number left over on the ground and guys shooting the arrows

5. why did it take so long for them to brop barrels of oil on the giants/mammoth? worked great once they decided to get it in gear.

6. also thought that Sam's gf was going to be sexually assaulted by the guy running away. Either that of find the guy with a knife in his chest. Needed some action there.
we disagree on #1 I guess. needed more emotion than random kid #2 taking her out.
Wire spoiler:
Reminded me of when Omar got killed
On that wire spoiler, don't google his name and go to the wiki. People around here will flip their ####.
People would flip their #### that I put a spoiler in a spoiler box?I was just making a joke - check my post from a few pages back.
I wish you The Wire people would just shut your pie holes already. Look, for purposes of this thread, THERE IS NO TV SHOW THE WIRE SEASONS 1 - 5. Is that too much to ask?

Sheesh!

I don't see why it's so difficult to understand. Arrows do damage. Arrows + fire does more damage.
D&D 101 right there.
It should be obvious how much D&D influences the story. I mean, compare that tracking shot battle sequence to LoTR, where the Elf is sliding down the elephant's trunk. Try rolling the 18 needed for both of your simultaneous arrows to hit right after rolling the 18 to slide down the elephant's trunk, yo.

Or how the warg was seeing through the owl's eyes. You got a druid that's not overpowered right there...and it's just an owl, not some sort of hippogrif. Just an owl. Doing what owls who stay quiet do. Just checking things out, all surreptitious-like.

If they gave the other major storylines as much time as they did the Wall, then it would be impossible to wrap them all up in 1 more.

50% King's Landing.

The title of the episode is The Children.

50% King's Landing.

The title of the episode is The Children.
Dragons imo. They are going to do something.

My guesses.

Bran and Jon Snow meet up north of the wall and they kill Mance somehow.

Arya and Sansa miss each other. The Hound and Arya go their separate ways.

Tyrion's life is spared or he escapes. One of Jamie or Cersei eat it.

Dragons eat more goats.

Stannis and his daughter continue to be boring.

Any other "children" I am missing?

It will be a whole hour of Rickon wandering around the north evading Ramsay Bolton. If captured and found to be a Stark he will be subjected to much worse torture than Theon endured...nonstop singing from Roose's brother Michael.

thought this last episode was the weakest of the season. I enjoy big battles, but not at the expense of all the other characters. I might be an idiot for asking but who exactly was that old dude who cowardly ran into Gilly's room?

thought this last episode was the weakest of the season. I enjoy big battles, but not at the expense of all the other characters. I might be an idiot for asking but who exactly was that old dude who cowardly ran into Gilly's room?
Janos Slynt.
he was sent to the wall by Tyrion in season 2 for baby killing
He was also the one that betrayed Ned back in Season 1 by telling him he had the support of the City Watch and then backing out.

I actually liked the last episode, and thought it was time they did something like that. it seems like the watch is an afterthought with most viewers...just as it is with the people in Westeros. but just think of the scope of it.

these guys commit to the Night's Watch (many times involuntarily), they take an oath and give up any thought of family, title, land, or future prospects. they toil in the freezing cold as the defenders of the realm, and are largely forgotten by everyone. they can't say " A giant?! #### that!!!" and run, or they might be putting the entire continent (world?) at risk. the folks south of the wall play their game without caring too much about these guys who may ultimately prove to be their greatest protectors.

I thought it was good to finally see what it means to be a man of the Night's Watch, especially evident when Jon's buddy was sent to hold the inner tunnel gate, which he did at the cost of his life.

Points of note:

1. so glad they didn't have Sam take out Ygritte with the crossbow.

2. those giants were awesome. Liked how the one giant got super pissed off when his dad(?) got skewered.

3. Manse isn't exactly a tactical genious. Crawling up the wall worked great for that first group of people. We've got some more wall climbers. How about we wait until the big fight and have the rest of the wall climbers climb the humongous wall right underneath the castle instead of sending them over prior to the attack and attack along the wall or reinforce the existing wall climbers.

4. I thought there were only slightly more than 100 defenders at Castle Black. Sure seemed like alot more: between the number of guys killed, number left over on the ground and guys shooting the arrows

5. why did it take so long for them to brop barrels of oil on the giants/mammoth? worked great once they decided to get it in gear.

6. also thought that Sam's gf was going to be sexually assaulted by the guy running away. Either that of find the guy with a knife in his chest. Needed some action there.
we disagree on #1 I guess. needed more emotion than random kid #2 taking her out.
But Sam? They make him out as the type of guy who can't even tie his own shoelace. They could have pulled alot more emotion out of that scene than they did. They didn't need Sam pulling the trigger.
It wouldnt have been completely unearned. sam has gotten more competent and condfident after killing the white walker, plus they just had a scene talking about ygrette. not great, but imo better than what we got. 8 year old kid we have never seen do anything?
When the crows were training in the yard, right before Locke kicked the ish out of a trainee, the kid wanted to swing a sword. When they laughed him off he quipped he was an expert bow hunter. He might even have been comjng back from a hunting trip with his dad when the Thenns attacked.
I agree with KP that Olly seemed to come out of nowhere to be a big player during the battle but a quick check of the GoT television wiki reminded that he was actually significantly featured earlier this season as well.

When the Thenns & Wildlings first crossed south of the wall they attacked Olly's village and he watched his family brutally murdered (in fact it was Ygritte who killed his father). It was the leader of the Thenns who killed Olly's mother and spared Olly (after telling him that he was going to eat his parents) so he could tell the Watch about what happened. The Wildlings were trying to draw the Watch out from the Keep leaving the Wall minimally defended.

So it actually makes a lot of sense for Olly to save Jon after Jon killed the leader of the Thenns. In that moment both of his parents were avenged.

ETA: I also think it would have been incongruous for Sam to kill Ygritte. I don't remember if he ever met her but Jon told him all about her and Sam is a really sharp dude so I am pretty sure he would have figured out that the girl hesitating to shoot Jon was the wildling Jon was in love with. I don't think Sam would have killed her.

It really is part of the brilliance of the show how they give arcs even to very minor characters like Olly and ser Janos. It makes it tougher on audiences, particularly after long season breaks, to remember the details on these terribly minor characters when it is tough enough to remember what the 20 or so principal characters have going on at any given moment.

On the plus side that lends to a very high rewatchability factor for GoT.

Janos Slynt.
He was also the one that betrayed Ned back in Season 1 by telling him he had the support of the City Watch and then backing out.
oh man, i totally forgot about all this. Not sure how some of you can not just remember these things for years but remember the character's name when I dont think they even mentioned it this week.

Janos Slynt.
oh man, i totally forgot about all this. Not sure how some of you can not just remember these things for years but remember the character's name when I dont think they even mentioned it this week.
Do you watch the introductions to the show? They tailor the clips from past shows to fill you in on people they haven't talked about in a while. This week, they showed Janos indignantly yelling that he has been the head of the King's Landing City Watch.

Janos Slynt.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0VXYz7cjGE&feature=kp

It really is part of the brilliance of the show how they give arcs even to very minor characters like Olly and ser Janos. It makes it tougher on audiences, particularly after long season breaks, to remember the details on these terribly minor characters when it is tough enough to remember what the 20 or so principal characters have going on at any given moment.

Like drifter said above they usually cover this stuff in the intro so its fairly easy to follow along if your paying attention.

Janos Slynt.
Do you watch the introductions to the show? They tailor the clips from past shows to fill you in on people they haven't talked about in a while. This week, they showed Janos indignantly yelling that he has been the head of the King's Landing City Watch.
my torrent didn't have the previously on part

Like drifter said above they usually cover this stuff in the intro so its fairly easy to follow along if your paying attention.
:lmao:

The brief less than 2 seconds on Janos from season 2 didn't really help most people, myself included.

Slynt has appeared in 11 episodes so far, believe it or not.

5 this season alone.

He was the baby stabber too, if you will recall.

(that said, I get how it's easy to forgot)

good quote from a few episodes ago:

Janos Slynt: "I commanded the City Watch of King's Landing, boy."

Jon Snow: "And now you're here, you must not have been very good at your job."

I remember Janos from this season however prior to that he wasn't seen since season 2 episode 2 a full two years ago.

It's not surprising that we forgot about his role in the betrayal of Ned or the killing of the Baratheon kids.

Users who are viewing this thread