What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Player Spotlight: Frank Gore, RB, San Francisco 49ers (1 Viewer)

Gore was drafted as an RB2 or 3 in some cases. Why would his owners be 0-2?
Hard to make a general statement like that. There are so many variables. Three of the 5 leagues I'm in, the Gore owner is 0-2. One is 2-0 and the other is 1-1. Anyway, I'm not sure it's worth the bother. O-line issues aside, I get the nagging feeling that he may have hit the wall. And who can blame him if he has? Years of punishing running take their toll, and he's on the wrong side of 30 now.

The 49ers may be able to get the running game back on track week 3 vs the Colts. Certainly not a good performance against Seattle, but the Sehawks are a pretty good defense.

There are some nice match ups on the schedule after week 3 also. Jaguars and Saints later on after some tough divisional games. Carolina is a strong run defense so you may not use Gore there. Week 16 against the Falcons looks decent.

There will be some tough games along the way of course.

Way to go Frank. Hope you called him an idiot because that's what he is. Down 13-7 with the ball, Harbug totally abandons the run so as to get his team's ### kicked.

Running back Frank Gore ran the ball 11 times for 82 yards and caught 2 balls for 21 yards in the 49ers 27-7 loss to the Indianapolis Colts. But Gore only touched the ball four times in the second half.

According to Kevin Lynch of the San Francisco Chronicle, Gore was angry and had choice words for coach Jim Harbaugh near the end of the game, as he was heading out to the field.

Running back Frank Gore ran the ball 11 times for 82 yards and caught 2 balls for 21 yards in the 49ers 27-7 loss to the Indianapolis Colts. But Gore only touched the ball four times in the second half.

According to Kevin Lynch of the San Francisco Chronicle, Gore was angry and had choice words for coach Jim Harbaugh near the end of the game, as he was heading out to the field.

Way to go Frank. Hope you called him an idiot because that's what he is. Down 13-7 with the ball, Harbug totally abandons the run so as to get his team's ### kicked.

Seriously. Gore was tearing it up. Don't know what Harbaugh was thinking.

Watching the game I was shocked how often Gore was open on simple pass plays in the flat but Kaep pulls the ball down after looking off his first receiver. Gore in the flat against a linebacker is still and option I would take advantage of. Of course I am a Gore owner.

Last edited by a moderator:
You don't have to be a Gore owner to recognize that the 9ers were BURYING the Colts when they were running the ball in the first half. Like physically just destroying them. I'm sure the Colts defenders were thrilled when they started chucking the ball down the field instead of getting those linemen out in front of Gore and running defenders into the ground. Played right into the Colts hands.

Yeah I was following Gore on my phone and saw he was having a huge first half. Figure he would easily get 100yds rushing. Doesn't make sense to abandon the run when you're still in the game.

Watching the game I was shocked how often Gore was open on simple pass plays in the flat but Kaep pulls the ball down after looking off his first receiver. Gore in the flat against a linebacker is still and option I would take advantage of. Of course I am a Gore owner.
You don't have to be a Gore owner to see that Kaep is making poor decisions.

You don't have to be a Gore owner to see that Kaep is making poor decisions.
and Harbug even worse decisions.

Frank Gore
1-SFO-GBP 21ra 44yds 2.10ypc 1TD 2ca 21yds 10.50 23touch 65totyds
2-SFO-SEA 9ra 16yds 1.78ypc 0 1ca 14yds 14.00 10touch 30totyds
3-SFO-IND 11ra 82yds 7.45ypc 0 2ca 21yds 10.50 13touch 103totyds
4-SFO-STL 20ra 153yds 7.65ypc 1TD 0ca 0yds 0 20touch 153totyds

Average: 15ra/gm 74yds/gm 5ypc .5TD/gm 1.5cagm 14yds/gm 9ypc 17touch/gm 88totyds/gm
Total: 61ra 295yds 5ypc 2TD 5rec 56yds 9 66touch 351yds

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/player/8783/nfl/statistics?mode=weekbyweek&zzz=1#ixzz2g5gOjmuO

Kendall Hunter
1-SFO-GBP 6ra 24yds 4.00ypc 0 0ca 0 0 6touch 24totyds
2-SFO-SEA 1ra -7yds -7.00ypc 0 0.00 0 1touch -7totyds
3-SFO-IND 4ra 14yds 3.50ypc 1TD 1ca 4yds 4.00 5touch 18totyds
4-SFO-STL 11ra 49yds 4.45ypc 1TD 1ca 9yds 9.00 12touch 58totyds

Anthony Dixon
1-SFO-GBP 0 0 0.00 0 0 0.00 0 0
2-SFO-SEA 1 4 4.00 0 0 0.00 1touch 4totyds
3-SFO-IND 1 -1 -1.00 0 0 0.00 1touch -1totyds
4-SFO-STL 3 6 2.00 1 0 0.00 3touch 6totyds

Gore has had 3TD sniped now. Even 3rd string Dixon got involved against the Rams.

Yeah I agree 3 rushing touchdowns this year he's missed out on because of the backups.

At least SF is getting back on track - they won and a huge part of it was Gore - that trend should continue.

Yeah I agree 3 rushing touchdowns this year he's missed out on because of the backups.

At least SF is getting back on track - they won and a huge part of it was Gore - that trend should continue.
You would think so. Gore clearly looks like he has more in the tank than most though. Hopefully the 9ers realized that last night and will keep feeding him the rock. He's their best offensive threat right now.

Obvious and hidden warning signs for Frank Gore

By Larry Hartstein | CBSSports.com

Frank Gore turns 31 next week. That's ancient for running backs. He's carried the ball 2,187 times in his nine-year career, more than any active player besides Steven Jackson.

Gore averaged a career-low 4.1 yards per carry last year, 3.7 over the final 10 games. Kendall Hunter (4.6 ypc over three seasons) is primed for a bigger workload at age 25. Marcus Lattimore will make his much-anticipated debut.

Those are Gore's obvious danger signs. Advanced stats are even less encouraging.

1. Gore received 27 carries inside the opponents' 10-yard line last year. He scored four times, the second-worst rate of any RB with 20-plus chances. Only washed-up Willis McGahee (2 TDs in 21 carries) fared worse. Even Ray Rice (4 TDs in 22 carries) did better.

Gore's backups, Hunter and Anthony Dixon, combined for three touchdowns on six carries inside the opponents' 10.

2. Of the 47 running backs who carried at least 100 times last year, Gore ranked 38th in Football Outsiders' Success Rate. His carries "succeeded" 42 percent of the time.

Quick explanation of Success Rate: A carry succeeds if the RB gains 40 percent of needed yards on first down (4 yards on 1st-and-10), 60 percent of needed yards on second down, or 100 percent of needed yards on third or fourth down. The standards change in the fourth quarter when a team is more than a touchdown behind or running out the clock.

Gore's success rate -- over 50 percent is considered good -- is a terrible sign for his workload. Success rate measures consistency, which should be Gore's strength. It doesn't factor in big plays or breakaway speed. If Gore starts 2014 like he ended 2013, he's not going to approach the 272 carries he's averaged the past three seasons.

As of now Dave Richard ranks Gore 21st among RBs and Jamey Eisenberg has him 22nd, low-end RB2 range.

You have to respect Gore's recent Fantasy production. He's finished 12th, 11th and 13th among RBs in standard leagues the past three years. But with Gore declining and Hunter and Lattimore coming on, we could see a full-blown committee that drops Gore into weekly flex territory.

Rotoworld:

ESPN 49ers reporter Bill Williamson believes Frank Gore will see "about 220 carries" this season.
GM Trent Baalke has talked about removing some of the load off the 31-year-old Gore, and the selection of Carlos Hyde was a clear indication 49ers want to divvy up the carries more this season. That does not mean Gore will fall off the map, though. As long as he is healthy, Gore will remain the lead-back in San Francisco and a low-end RB2 in fantasy.

Source: ESPN.com

The Niners draft Lattimore last year and then draft RB Carlos Hyde this year.

Gore turned 31.

He's in the final year of his contract that pays him over $6 million per year.

He finished last year with diminishing production.

The data points are starting to show a clear trend here.

Obvious and hidden warning signs for Frank Gore

By Larry Hartstein | CBSSports.com

Frank Gore turns 31 next week. That's ancient for running backs. He's carried the ball 2,187 times in his nine-year career, more than any active player besides Steven Jackson.

Gore averaged a career-low 4.1 yards per carry last year, 3.7 over the final 10 games. Kendall Hunter (4.6 ypc over three seasons) is primed for a bigger workload at age 25. Marcus Lattimore will make his much-anticipated debut.

Those are Gore's obvious danger signs. Advanced stats are even less encouraging.

1. Gore received 27 carries inside the opponents' 10-yard line last year. He scored four times, the second-worst rate of any RB with 20-plus chances. Only washed-up Willis McGahee (2 TDs in 21 carries) fared worse. Even Ray Rice (4 TDs in 22 carries) did better.

Gore's backups, Hunter and Anthony Dixon, combined for three touchdowns on six carries inside the opponents' 10.

2. Of the 47 running backs who carried at least 100 times last year, Gore ranked 38th in Football Outsiders' Success Rate. His carries "succeeded" 42 percent of the time.

As of now Dave Richard ranks Gore 21st among RBs and Jamey Eisenberg has him 22nd, low-end RB2 range.

You have to respect Gore's recent Fantasy production. He's finished 12th, 11th and 13th among RBs in standard leagues the past three years. But with Gore declining and Hunter and Lattimore coming on, we could see a full-blown committee that drops Gore into weekly flex territory.
Rotoworld:

ESPN 49ers reporter Bill Williamson believes Frank Gore will see "about 220 carries" this season.
GM Trent Baalke has talked about removing some of the load off the 31-year-old Gore, and the selection of Carlos Hyde was a clear indication 49ers want to divvy up the carries more this season. That does not mean Gore will fall off the map, though. As long as he is healthy, Gore will remain the lead-back in San Francisco and a low-end RB2 in fantasy.

http://espn.go.com/blog/san-francisco-49ers/post/_/id/8018/mailbag-frank-gores-workload

Jeff from Redmond, Oregon, wants to know if I think Frank Gore could get 200-plus carries this season.

Bill Williamson: Right now, I’d probably guess Gore would get about 220 carries. The 49ers are paying him $6.4 million, so they think he can still help, even though he is 31 and is entering the final year of his contract. Rookie Carlos Hyde and Marcus Lattimore, if he can stay healthy, will take carries. But Gore is still Gore. He will have a role. Gore had 276 carries last season, which was the third-most in his nine-season career. He is a trusted resource for the 49ers. Don’t expect to see a dramatic carry decrease.

Rotoworld:

Frank Gore - RB - 49ers

ESPN's John Clayton reports the "early word out of San Francisco" is that Frank Gore could see 50 fewer carries in 2014.

Clayton's ESPN colleague, Bill Williamson, reported the same thing two weeks ago. Gore had 276 carries last season and continued his fall down the cliff, averaging 3.65 YPC over his final ten games. He's now 31 and the 49ers used a second-round pick on Carlos Hyde, adding him to a stable that also includes COP back Kendall Hunter and second-year wild card Marcus Lattimore. Gore remains on the RB2 map, even if he loses 50 carries, but the upside is fading.

Jul 16 - 6:47 PM

1-2 in the toughest division in football...not quite panic time but definitely concern if you're a 49er fan. I wouldn't be surprised if they start to flip the script a bit with respect to the run game and they start to give Hyde more going forward. Gore is a great warrior but he's just not the better back and when you aren't winning games you need to change things up. Now may be the last time you can get Hyde and Gore is pretty unstartable and really isn't worth trading because he'll be worth more than you can likely get in a deal.

Rotoworld:

Frank Gore - RB - 49ers

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the 49ers informed Frank Gore in the offseason that he had to earn his roster spot in training camp after the team drafted Carlos Hyde.

On the surface, it comes as a bit of a shock. But considering Gore is 31 and carries a $6.45 million salary, it's not that surprising. Gore is averaging two fewer carries per game this season compared to last, and we'd expect his carries total to dip deeper into the season. It's probably a good idea to sell Gore in re-draft. Hyde is the future at running back in the Bay. He's a good target for Dynasty owners with Gore set to become a free agent in the offseason.

Related: Carlos Hyde

Source: Chris Wesseling on Twitter

Oct 13 - 7:41 PM

Rotoworld:

Frank Gore - RB - 49ers

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the 49ers informed Frank Gore in the offseason that he had to earn his roster spot in training camp after the team drafted Carlos Hyde.On the surface, it comes as a bit of a shock. But considering Gore is 31 and carries a $6.45 million salary, it's not that surprising. Gore is averaging two fewer carries per game this season compared to last, and we'd expect his carries total to dip deeper into the season. It's probably a good idea to sell Gore in re-draft. Hyde is the future at running back in the Bay. He's a good target for Dynasty owners with Gore set to become a free agent in the offseason.

low class

Would it kill them to throw my man a screen pass now and then like they used to? He had at least 43 receptions five years in a row at one point. He's not that old where he can't catch a 5-yard pass.

They just don't utilize their RBs as receivers in general. Gore has four catches in 5 and a half games. Hyde has three.

Rotoworld:

Frank Gore - RB - 49ers

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the 49ers informed Frank Gore in the offseason that he had to earn his roster spot in training camp after the team drafted Carlos Hyde.On the surface, it comes as a bit of a shock. But considering Gore is 31 and carries a $6.45 million salary, it's not that surprising. Gore is averaging two fewer carries per game this season compared to last, and we'd expect his carries total to dip deeper into the season. It's probably a good idea to sell Gore in re-draft. Hyde is the future at running back in the Bay. He's a good target for Dynasty owners with Gore set to become a free agent in the offseason.

low class
not really. way better than leading him to believe he was a lock like some teams do with pricey veterans.

Helmet off with game om the line and Harbough making reckless 4th down calls.

Ouch. Wish it came back and bit.

I'd be looking ahead to weeks ten-twelve, and then to weeks fourteen and sixteen. Not bad stuff there. I wouldn't drop him, though I'm not sure what that says about me possibly being too deeply invested in him. Perhaps S.F. turns to Hyde as the starter to save their season. I'm holding him for the time being, but I have some good options at this point.

The bottom line is Gore can break through to a second line of defense, whereas no other RB's the 49ers have had other than Gore during his "era" could. This is what I mean by he being able to run in a caveman pancake offense, since it was all "Gore up the middle" in horrid schemes for years, and was still able to become the 49ers all time leading rusher. There hasn't been a more important gear to the 49er offense than Frank Gore, even with Vernon Davis. That might not mean squat to you FF guys, but that's why you play FF, and he plays real football.

The bottom line is Gore can break through to a second line of defense, whereas no other RB's the 49ers have had other than Gore during his "era" could. This is what I mean by he being able to run in a caveman pancake offense, since it was all "Gore up the middle" in horrid schemes for years, and was still able to become the 49ers all time leading rusher. There hasn't been a more important gear to the 49er offense than Frank Gore, even with Vernon Davis. That might not mean squat to you FF guys, but that's why you play FF, and he plays real football.
I'm just curious -- does this save his job? I think he has run well this year against some tough defenses. I also think Hyde flashes great talent. What's your take?

Users who are viewing this thread