What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Player Spotlight: Frank Gore, RB, San Francisco 49ers (1 Viewer)

I put him in line up last minute over Chris Johnson. Just had a feeling with Hyde out this would be his game of the year. Good timing.

coulda been such a bigger game. tackled inside the 5 twice. also, they never throw to him. he is wide open for dump offs fairly often. instead kaep tries to force it into a covered receiver.

unfortunately, it looks like sd has figured out how to shut down the run this 2nd half. hes got like 3 yards and no room to run.

coulda been such a bigger game. tackled inside the 5 twice. also, they never throw to him. he is wide open for dump offs fairly often. instead kaep tries to force it into a covered receiver.

unfortunately, it looks like sd has figured out how to shut down the run this 2nd half. hes got like 3 yards and no room to run.
The 4th quarter will be clock killing time though, he'll get more touches.

Kaep cant through the reads fast enough to get to a dump down. Its who he is, one read QB.

Rotoworld:

Frank Gore - RB - 49ers

Frank Gore rushed 25 times for 144 yards and caught two passes for five yards in the 49ers' Week 17 win over the Cardinals.

Gore lacks his old burst, but he still runs with amazing vision and toughness and regularly gets more than what's blocked. Entering free agency, this was likely Gore's last game as a 49er. He will turn 32 this offseason and remains one of the game's most reliable all-purpose backs. Gore finished the 2014 season with 1,106 yards and four touchdowns on 255 carries (4.34 YPC), adding 11 receptions. We suspect he'll find playing time in 2015, albeit probably not as a true workhorse.

Dec 28 - 8:12 PM

Rotoworld:

Frank Gore - RB - 49ers

A source tells the Sacramento Bee that free agent Frank Gore is seeking a team that will position him for another 1,000-yard season and also give him a "chance at a Super Bowl title."

The possibility exists that Gore could return to San Francisco because doing so would theoretically satisfy both of these possibilities. Per the Sac Bee, it's "unknown" whether the new 49ers staff plans to give second-year RB Carlos Hyde more carries. Whether Gore returns will likely come down to his price tag. He can't expect big money from anyone going on age 32.

Source: Sacramento Bee

Feb 15 - 11:31 PM

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotoworld:

Frank Gore - RB - 49ers

Free agent Frank Gore called out the 49ers on his Instagram page Sunday night.

"I know the fans love me but I need to know if the management does," Gore wrote. It's the latest sign that the Niners haven't approached their veteran mainstay about sticking around for an 11th season. They won't want to pay very much with Carlos Hyde ready for a second-year breakout and Kendall Hunter under contract.

Related: Carlos Hyde

Source: Frank Gore on Instagram

Feb 16 - 9:31 AM

Probably been mentioned but he seems like a perfect fit for the Colts.
Rotoworld:

Bleacher Report's Matt Miller reports the Colts are "probably the shoo-in" to sign free agent Frank Gore.
A draft analyst, Miller is not typically a Rotoworld source, so take this with a grain of salt. Either way, Miller reports coach Chuck Pagano and associate head coach Rob Chudzinski both "want" Gore. Miller also mentions the Redskins and Dolphins as possible landing spots. Gore recently called out the 49ers on social media, and appears headed toward an exit from the only team he's ever known.

Related: Colts, Dolphins, Redskins

Source: Bleacher Report
Feb 17 - 6:12 PM

Probably been mentioned but he seems like a perfect fit for the Colts.
Rotoworld:

Bleacher Report's Matt Miller reports the Colts are "probably the shoo-in" to sign free agent Frank Gore.
A draft analyst, Miller is not typically a Rotoworld source, so take this with a grain of salt. Either way, Miller reports coach Chuck Pagano and associate head coach Rob Chudzinski both "want" Gore. Miller also mentions the Redskins and Dolphins as possible landing spots. Gore recently called out the 49ers on social media, and appears headed toward an exit from the only team he's ever known.

Related: Colts, Dolphins, Redskins

Source: Bleacher Report
Feb 17 - 6:12 PM
He did go to the U...

Rotoworld:

49ers GM Trent Baalke said the team would like to re-sign free agent Frank Gore.
"We’re still working on it," Baalke said. "It’ll take some time to resolve. It’s our intention to have Frank back." Gore questioned whether the 49ers wanted him back last weekend, so the two sides talked this week. The 49ers may want Gore back, but they're up against the salary cap. Gore could potentially make more money elsewhere with a team like the Colts looking for that final piece.

Source: CSN Bay Area
Feb 18 - 11:44 AM

Rotoworld:

Frank Gore - RB - 49ers

Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports says free agent Frank Gore is looking to be paid $4 million per year.

The Niners like what they see from Carlos Hyde but it's going to be hard for them to pass on Gore, a franchise cornerstone and one of the league's most consistent rushers. Even with Hyde breathing down his neck, the 31-year-old still managed 1,106 yards and four touchdowns in 2014. La Canfora believes the 49ers are the only team willing to pay Gore his desired $4 million salary.

Source: CBS Sports

Feb 20 - 12:55 PM

Rotoworld:

Yahoo's Rand Getlin reports the Eagles have an offer on the table for free agent Frank Gore that includes $7 million in guarantees.
Per Getlin, the deal would average more than $5 million annually. It's possible all $7 million of the guaranteed money would be on the books for 2015. Gore remained highly productive in 2014, but it would be a princely sum for a 32-year-old back (in May) who has racked up massive workloads for over a decade.

Related: Eagles

Source: Rand Getlin on Twitter
Mar 8 - 3:41 PM

So what are people's projections for Gore now that he's in Indy? A lot of people are talking about Josh Robinson but is a 5th round pick really going to take meaningful touches from Gore?

When is the last time Gore had a real passing game to take some of the pressure off of him?

2014 - 30th in passing

2013 - 30th in passing

2012 - 23rd in passing

2011 - 29th in passing

I like the odds of seeing what Gore can do in what is expected to be a much much stronger offense in Indy.

1200 rushing yards 260 carries

8-10 TDs

30 receptions

Might account for a top 10 season.

In looking at the production of Bradshaw/Richardson/Herron/Tipton last year, they posted a combined:

337 Rush Attempts, 1313 Rush Yds, 3.9 yds per rush, 6 Rush TDs

92 Recs, 770 Rec Yds, 8.4 yds per rec, 7 Rec TDs

I think Gore will get a good chunk of the carries, probably 250 or so, and likely average a good 4.2 yds per rush (or more). This is largely in line with his rushing production in SF the last couple of years. The big opportunity that I see, is for Gore to get much more heavily involved in the passing game again, something he has not done as much of the last few years in SF (for various reasons). Looking at how Luck uses his RBs in the passing game, and considering how effective Gore is as a blocker and once was as a receiver, I think 40+ recs is very attainable. In my view, Gore could be in store for a really nice overall season, but the risk, as we're all aware, is his age... at 32 years old, the wheels could come off the bus rather suddenly.

Totally agree, Gore is a good receiver/blocker and had a long stretch with 40+ receptions every year, and the Colts have thrown to RBs more than the 49ers have the last few years.

I have owned Gore many times and every year since he came into the league, so I am far from a hater. But drawing upon my 10 years being on FBG staff, I would consider myself more down on Gore that others.

IND for years has failed to establish an effective ground game. The last time they ranked in the Top 10 in ypc was 2001. Since then, they have ranked in the Bottom 10 in ypc 9 times (25th or worse 7 times). That tells me their run blocking is poor. Think about it. Between Manning and Luck (and playing a lot indoors), they should have been able to run the ball with ease with teams loading up on DBs and not stacking the box. But they haven't done well at all. Was every RB in IND for almost 15 years severely deficient? Adding Gore won't change how well the line blocks. People forget SF had a better run blocking line.

And for those saying being on a better passing team will boost Gore's numbers, it hasn't helped IND put up good fantasy scoring numbers since Luck has been there. In 0 PPR leagues, here were the team fantasy point totals for RB for all 32 teams over the past three seasons:

KCC 1227NEP 1142.6NOS 1083.8DEN 1026SEA 1007.3DET 988.6MIN 967.1HOU 960.7BUF 954.9PHI 952.9WAS 935.2DAL 908.4ATL 897.7PIT 888.2CHI 875.4BAL 869.7CIN 867.3GBP 866.6SDC 851.6NYG 837.1SFO 830.5MIA 810.3OAK 803.7IND 800TBB 795.7NYJ 783.8CLE 766.6CAR 765.4ARI 735.3STL 732.4TEN 721.1JAC 664.1Clearly how big a workload any RB gets will impact his overall production and fantasy ranking. But let's not forget Gore will be 32 this year. For those predicting a Top 10 season, last year the #10 RB scored 188 points. RBs 32 or older have only scored 188 or more points 8 times in the past 55 years and only twice in the past 20 years. Granted, Fred Jackson hit 187 points in 2013, so he was essentially another.

Like any other player, Gore could have value if he falls far enough, but all it takes is one owner to think he will be a Top 10 back to have him go pretty early. In expert leagues, his ADP is currently RB18. I probably wouldn't draft him then, but I haven't really started to look at who should be going where yet.

Personally, I don't find the rushing numbers going back to the Manning years to be super-relevant to the 2015 Colts. Looking at the last two years, it's relatively clear to me that the Colts' crappy overall rushing totals can be laid squarely at the feet of Trent Richardson. In 2014 - 2015 combined:

Richardson: 316 carries for 977 yards @ 3.09

All other RBs: 357 carries for 1664 yards @ 4.66

Those other RBs weren't exactly Pro Bowl level talents, either. Gore will have lanes in the ground game. I'm not sure how much work he'll be able to take at his age, and his receiving use remains TBD, but the Colts line isn't nearly as bad as you're making it out to be IMO. Richardson is just the worst RB to actually receive significant carries in the NFL the past few years, and dragged the entire team down with him.

I've watched Gore his entire career and he has carried a mediocre team on his shoulders for far too long. Here is his shot at a ring... Better believe his motivation has never been as high. The consensus thinking seems to be that he will have 250 carries and a bump in receptions. I think 250 might be a tad high (I'm guessing 225ish) but 45 catches is absolutely reasonable. He can catch but it was ignored in recent years in the by area. I'm guessing he cracks 1k rushing but nearly 400 rec yds. It's not unreasonable. Total TDs 10ish.

I've watched Gore his entire career and he has carried a mediocre team on his shoulders for far too long. Here is his shot at a ring... Better believe his motivation has never been as high. The consensus thinking seems to be that he will have 250 carries and a bump in receptions. I think 250 might be a tad high (I'm guessing 225ish) but 45 catches is absolutely reasonable. He can catch but it was ignored in recent years in the by area. I'm guessing he cracks 1k rushing but nearly 400 rec yds. It's not unreasonable. Total TDs 10ish.
They went to the NFC Championship from 2011-2013, he certainly contributed, but also had a pretty good defense and OL. He was in the Super Bowl for the 2012 season (after the QB earlier had nearly 200 yards rushing against GB to help get there), that was a pretty good shot at the ring, a late play near the goal line away from winning.

Last edited by a moderator:
Evan Silva‏Verified account @evansilva

It's not sexy and not an upside move but Frank Gore is taken in only 11% of Yahoo leagues. He probably opens the season getting 10-14 touches per game.

10:31 AM - 31 Aug 2019

Evan Silva‏Verified account @evansilva

It's not sexy and not an upside move but Frank Gore is taken in only 11% of Yahoo leagues. He probably opens the season getting 10-14 touches per game.

10:31 AM - 31 Aug 2019
Picked him up yesterday and decided that due to limited upside I'd rather have the lottery ticket. Dropped him after I came to clarity about my D. Williams situation. 

Users who are viewing this thread