What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Tom Brady, TB (2 Viewers)

Wow, what a dog whistle statement.

Antonio Brown practiced with him for a week and was an immediate stud. I see no problems for Evans, Godwin and company. 
Brown was studly for one half against Miami when they called a ton of plays for AB. IIRC, he had 8 targets in a half. The Dolphins defense was a disaster early in the season. They allowed 102 points IN TWO GAMES. Let’s not go crazy on how awesome Brown looked in his only game in NE.

So the nature of this discussion seems to assume that Brady is bringing in the offense he had with the Patriots, and that will be the offense instead of the usual Arians offense. Or maybe I'm just not aware that the Arians offense requires all of the post-snap adjustments?

I'm sure Arians will tailor and adjust his offense some for Brady, but can someone show a link that indicates that the Tampa offense will switch to requiring these same post-snap adjustments Brady's receivers were required to make in NE?

Just Win Baby said:
So the nature of this discussion seems to assume that Brady is bringing in the offense he had with the Patriots, and that will be the offense instead of the usual Arians offense. Or maybe I'm just not aware that the Arians offense requires all of the post-snap adjustments?

I'm sure Arians will tailor and adjust his offense some for Brady, but can someone show a link that indicates that the Tampa offense will switch to requiring these same post-snap adjustments Brady's receivers were required to make in NE?
IIRC, I read weeks ago that Tampa planned on keeping the Arians offense and was planning on adding some things that Brady wanted / suggested. Who knows if that is just subterfuge, but I don’t think they will be running a system similar to NE. I have felt all along that Brady getting in tune with his receivers will be more difficult than some are making it out to be and it will take some time. We will have to see if Brady can fit In with longer developing routes much farther downfield than he has been running in recent years. 

Let me translate Ians story; even though all of these men are young and healthy and there is probably about a .0001 chance of them getting covid (and even less chance it would be a serious problem for any of them) while working out together in an open air stadium and many other QBs and receivers are working out in similar manor were going to single him out cuz we are espn and we love him and hysteria. If these guys were on a party boat, restaurant, party etc or if Ian had evidence to suggest they are not practicing social distancing when out amongst the general public or elderly loved ones he might have a point. But this does not move the needle one iota for me.  

I do worry that the huge nfl lineman appear to me (speculating) to be a much higher risk for serious symptom\complications.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Let me translate Ians story; even though all of these men are young and healthy and there is probably about a .0001 chance of them getting covid (and even less chance it would be a serious problem for any of them) while working out together in an open air stadium and many other QBs and receivers are working out in similar manor were going to single him out cuz we are espn and we love him and hysteria. If these guys were on a party boat, restaurant, party etc or if Ian had evidence to suggest they are not practicing social distancing when out amongst the general public or elderly loved ones he might have a point. But this does not move the needle one iota for me.  

I do worry that the huge nfl lineman appear to me (speculating) to be a much higher risk for serious symptom\complications.  
Zeke tested positive and got sick. He's indicated he couldn't workout or practice and has been struggling to breath normally. COVID has been said to potentially cause long-term lung damage. If Elliott is not the same after this and his career goes sideways, is that not enough to get players concerned that they really could be messing with their livelihood and long-term health? 

Zeke tested positive and got sick. He's indicated he couldn't workout or practice and has been struggling to breath normally. COVID has been said to potentially cause long-term lung damage. If Elliott is not the same after this and his career goes sideways, is that not enough to get players concerned that they really could be messing with their livelihood and long-term health? 
That Covid is serious stuff is accepted fact but some for whatever reason want to try and make it even worse than it actually is. My niece (40) had covid, my daughter, son in law (both Drs) and likely my grandson all had it. None of them required hospitalization and none had serious symptoms. That doesn't mean it isn't a deadly disease because it certainly is, particularly for those over 60 and those with under lying conditions. But for the vast majority of healthy people under 50 it is not a serious issue.

You wrote the bolded above as if to imply Zeke was still having issues breathing rather than him actually saying while he had it for a couple of days he experienced a cough and some shortness of breath (like a cold). https://www.si.com/nfl/cowboys/news/watch-dallas-cowboys-star-ezekiel-elliott-voices-covid-19-concerns-in-nfl

I don't dispute that Covid potentially causes long term lung damage in those who get very sick; I think it probably does. But to me it is way overboard to suggest that people who are asymptomatic, get mild symptoms (like zeke, my relatives, IE the vast majority of the population) will now develop serious lung issues. It can't be disproven (maybe thats the point) but I just don't feel it is at all very likely.

Dude, im in my 50's, my older brother who has emphysema and is a diabetic has been living here with me and my wife (hiding out). Trust me when I tell you we take it very seriously but it seems obvious to me the vast majority of the young and the healthy are unaffected and the emphasis and focus needs to be on isolating\gating\protecting the elderly and the compromised. Worrying about a dozen young healthy athletes tossing a football around outside is absurd imho. 

Where are you getting 0.0001 chance of them getting COVID?
Just a random number, 12 healthy athletes playing outside. Highly unlikely they get it there and even more unlikely it would be any worse than a cold. If you or anyone wants to crunch the numbers be my guest. 

Ezekiel Elliott said he’s “feeling normal” after testing positive for COVID-19 on June 15.

“I would say I had maybe one or two days when I felt symptoms,” Elliott told media in a Zoom conference Wednesday. “Even then, it wasn’t too bad. I had a cough and a little bit of shortness of breath. Now, I feel good. I feel normal.” Elliott was initially diagnosed as asymptomatic and remains clear of any symptoms at this time.

Just a random number, 12 healthy athletes playing outside. Highly unlikely they get it there and even more unlikely it would be any worse than a cold. If you or anyone wants to crunch the numbers be my guest. 
I mean, sure it's unlikely they'd get it at their workout.  However if one of them does have covid (fairly likely), then they all would likely get it during this workout.  If they all got tested that morning, and went and played outside, then I see no actual risk of getting covid.  But it's still not great for them to be doing this and setting this standard, as the next 12 guys might not be so lucky or have been tested.  Or 12 kids think its cool to go and do this and then it spreads.  You're right that their symptoms would be minor, but the best thing to do is play it safe so that it doesn't spread to people it actually could affect. 

That’s what I saw / heard. He had a cough and shortness of breath and that he could not workout yet. LINK

The point was that people could get it and have lingering issues. 
His exact quote was:
"I would say I had maybe one or two days when I felt symptoms. “Even then, it wasn’t too bad. I had a cough and a little bit of shortness of breath. Now, I feel good. I feel normal.”

I would say your "Got sick and said he couldn't workout or practice and has been struggling to breath normally" is an extreme twist of words and exaggeration.

Bucs TE Cameron Brate said Tom Brady "can still sling it."

Brate said he's seen the narratives surrounding Brady's arm strength, but he's not concerned with it. "Man, he can still sling it. All the work we did in the offseason, that’s kinda the one thing I was really most impressed with, his ability to throw the football.” It's a positive sign, although this storyline remains one of the most intriguing mysteries heading into the 2020 season. Even if Brady's arm strength isn't quite as good, he has the offensive pieces to lead a top-10 offense. Mike Evans, Chris Godwin, and a strong trio of tight ends will be a big upgrade to the weapons he had in New England the last few seasons. Brady belongs on the QB1/2 borderline in fantasy drafts as a quarterback who could flirt with 30 touchdown passes.

SOURCE: NBC Sports

Aug 17, 2020, 2:15 AM ET

Bucs TE Rob Gronkowski said Tom Brady's arm might be stronger than it was when Gronkowski entered the NFL in 2010.

Gronk's comment echoes what TE Cameron Brate said this week about the strength of 43-year-old Brady's arm. Maybe it's the TB12 system. We're looking into it. Brady is being drafted in the eighth round, as the ninth quarterback off the board, surrounded by the best cast of pass catchers of his career. 

SOURCE: Judy Battista on Twitter

Aug 20, 2020, 11:21 AM ET

Interesting that Matt Waldman's "Nostradamus" piece this week highlighted Brady as his "flag plant" redraft choice this season. He projects a Top 10 fantasy season and doesn't rule out the possibility of Top 5 given the much better weapons around him this year.

HC Bruce Arians says the Bucs will probably keep at least three quarterbacks, and probably all three on the 53-man roster. Still deciding whether to keep a total of three or four between the roster and the practice squad.
Scott Smith @ScottSBucs

Interesting that Matt Waldman's "Nostradamus" piece this week highlighted Brady as his "flag plant" redraft choice this season. He projects a Top 10 fantasy season and doesn't rule out the possibility of Top 5 given the much better weapons around him this year.
I drafted him about a round past his ADP.  I was waiting on QB, and he was still just sitting there.

I’m not sure I love it, but I rode the Winston train last year and I know there’s plenty of tds to go around in that offense.

I drafted him about a round past his ADP.  I was waiting on QB, and he was still just sitting there.

I’m not sure I love it, but I rode the Winston train last year and I know there’s plenty of tds to go around in that offense.
I think you are going to be very pleasantly surprised.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports that the Saints and Bears both tried to sign Tom Brady in free agency.

Drew Brees was mulling retirement at the time and reportedly had an offer to become a broadcaster on Sunday Night Football. While his status with the Saints was in doubt, the team made a justified push to bring in Brady. However, Brees chose to return to New Orleans and the Brady talk subsided. Chicago tried as well but the team doesn't have the same caliber of weapons as Tampa Bay making the Buccaneers a more attractive choice for the 43-year-old passer. 

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Sep 13, 2020, 10:43 AM ET

NBC airing a snippet from Bruce Arians when he was asked about Brady’s two ints today against the Saints.  To paraphrase Arians - 

First one - missed communication. Brady thought Evans was going down the middle, it was a different coverage and Evans read it right but should have bent across the space.  Brady overthrew him.  

Second one - it was a screen pass with an outlet call and he threw the outlet ... pick six.   Bad decision.  

Living in MA, I can’t remember a time when Belichick called out a player immediately after a game like this.  Post game (after a loss) is almost always players saying they need to be better and Bill talking in generalities about playing better in all three phases of the game. 

Be interesting to see how this plays out over the rest of the season.  It’s week one with a new team, in a season without any preseason games so mistakes are going to happen.  But it’s strange to hear blame laid on Brady. 

Tom Brady completed 23-of-36 passes for 239 yards, two touchdowns, and two interceptions in the Bucs' 34-23 loss to the Saints in Week 1.    

Brady was sacked three times and hurried throughout the game, throwing an ugly pick-six in the first half. Dare we say Brady looked old in his Bucs debut, taking a couple cringe-worthy hits. Head coach Bruce Arians said one of Brady's picks was the result of a miscommunication with Mike Evans. His fantasy output wasn't atrocious thanks to a quarter and a half of garbage time. Brady should be a strong start in Week 2 when Tampa gets the Panthers and their burnable secondary. 

- Rotoworld

yabahos said:
NBC airing a snippet from Bruce Arians when he was asked about Brady’s two ints today against the Saints.  To paraphrase Arians - 

First one - missed communication. Brady thought Evans was going down the middle, it was a different coverage and Evans read it right but should have bent across the space.  Brady overthrew him.  

Second one - it was a screen pass with an outlet call and he threw the outlet ... pick six.   Bad decision.  

Living in MA, I can’t remember a time when Belichick called out a player immediately after a game like this.  Post game (after a loss) is almost always players saying they need to be better and Bill talking in generalities about playing better in all three phases of the game. 

Be interesting to see how this plays out over the rest of the season.  It’s week one with a new team, in a season without any preseason games so mistakes are going to happen.  But it’s strange to hear blame laid on Brady. 
Seems like Arians is always bad about doing this kind of stuff. Granted, I don't always pay attention to him, but whenever I hear about post game comments, it seems like it's always about what the player did wrong, not what the coaches could have done better.  Erin Andrews even said today that he called some of their penalties in the first half "dumb."   Even if true, there are better ways to say it.

• Smile
Reactions: DAG
Looked bad. Probably not going to look better.
I’m pretty pessimistic, but come on. The level of competition here is kind of important. The Saints’ pass rush and secondary are both really good.

This was the first game. Not making excuses, but... What were the expectations? Lights out flawless execution from the jump? 

Seems like Arians is always bad about doing this kind of stuff. Granted, I don't always pay attention to him, but whenever I hear about post game comments, it seems like it's always about what the player did wrong, not what the coaches could have done better.  Erin Andrews even said today that he called some of their penalties in the first half "dumb."   Even if true, there are better ways to say it.
This is my sense too. Makes him one of my least favorite coaches in the league. 

I guess I was surprised that Brady was wearing a wristband.

The Saints are a very good defense and they can swarm. And Brees always puts pressure on the other QB. But still there was a stretch where TB's defense gave Brady a big window to do something and get back in the game and nothing happened. - Next week vs Carolina will be a better test of where he is. 

I guess I was surprised that Brady was wearing a wristband.

The Saints are a very good defense and they can swarm. And Brees always puts pressure on the other QB. But still there was a stretch where TB's defense gave Brady a big window to do something and get back in the game and nothing happened. - Next week vs Carolina will be a better test of where he is. 
Wasn't it expected that it would take time for Brady and all of his receivers to get on the same page?  Yeah, they gave COVID the middle finger and practiced as much as they could, but game action is the best way to get up to speed.  That said, Brady is old and just isn't going to be as consistent from play to play as he used to be, but I think he'll still have a very good season stats-wise overall once it's all said and done.

Looked bad. Probably not going to look better.
First part is true, but not sure how you think Brady and then entire offense won't get better. I mean no pre-season, new team and system, his #1A or #1B WR was clearly not healthy...I'm guessing next week they will look a lot better.  

First part is true, but not sure how you think Brady and then entire offense won't get better. I mean no pre-season, new team and system, his #1A or #1B WR was clearly not healthy...I'm guessing next week they will look a lot better.  
He looks bad for the same reasons he looked bad at the end of last season. His arm is weakening. He doesn't want to get hit. He's going to get hit.

That throw-away on the 2-point conversion was terrible. There's 2:41 left in the game, you need every point, and your first read is triple-covered; how about hold the ball and make a second read?

I pretty much don't expect 43-year-old football players to get better over the course of the season.

In defense of Arians openness about the interceptions.  He has been conditioned from answering questions about Jameis.  That's the only thing the reporters cared about, number of interceptions and who's fault they were.  Initially Bruce would beat around the bush, by the end of last season.  "That was on Jameis, this one was Godwin's fault, this was a little on both...".  I prefer the honesty.

He looks bad for the same reasons he looked bad at the end of last season. His arm is weakening. He doesn't want to get hit. He's going to get hit.

That throw-away on the 2-point conversion was terrible. There's 2:41 left in the game, you need every point, and your first read is triple-covered; how about hold the ball and make a second read?

I pretty much don't expect 43-year-old football players to get better over the course of the season.
The 2 point conversion was an academic exercise. 

You go for 2 when you cut the lead to 11 in the 4th quarter to cut the lead to 9 instead of 10 because no matter what, you need two touchdowns to win, but if the lead is ten the opponent can make it a 3 score game with a touchdown and extra point.  A 9 point lead also puts pressure on your opponent if you score another touchdown because now it's a 2 point game, so they have to go for the first down.

The odds that this will matter are ridiculously low but its still the right thing to do.  But it's not worth getting hurt over it.  That's just dumb. 

Users who are viewing this thread