What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Tom Brady, TB (2 Viewers)

In all honesty, I don't think we can blame Brady on that one. Any QB would have struggle with the number of penalties and mistakes that O-line made last night. Horrible job from his line. Yeah, brain fart on that 4th down at the end but the game was lost well before that. I don't think he played that bad considering the pressure, the hits he took and the mistakes from his line. This is the problem with none mobile pocket passers. When there is no pocket, they struggle. Last night was a game for a QB that can move around because his Oline couldn't take the pressure. So many mistakes....I really feel that one is not on Brady.
If it wasn’t for Mack’s personal foul. He almost had a 1st and 40 at one point last night for what would have been 4 holding penalties in a row.

Oh we can absolutely blame Brady on that one. He's supposed to be the GOAT, invulnerable to COVID-19, and a born leader. You just don't forget the downs and get a pass, no QB gets that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh we can absolutely blame Brady on that one. He's supposed to be the GOAT, invulnerable to COVID-19, and a born leader. You just don't forget the downs and get a pass, no QB gets that.
and you think they lost the game because of this one thing? you think the game has nothing to do with the fumble from the RB in the 4th quarter or the none existent O-line and all the penalties in this game? you think TB lost the game because of that one thing? Man, I think we didn't watch the same game last night.

and you think they lost the game because of this one thing? you think the game has nothing to do with the fumble from the RB in the 4th quarter or the none existent O-line and all the penalties in this game? you think TB lost the game because of that one thing? Man, I think we didn't watch the same game last night.
Fair enough.  Can we at least agree that we can absolutely laugh our ##### off at Brady not knowing what down it was?  

I mean, I get that it's hard to keep track of stuff like this when you don't have a team official in your headset right up to the snap "helping" you, but other QBs seem to manage.

Edit: The language filter didn't work, so I had to type in some pound signs manually.

Fair enough.  Can we at least agree that we can absolutely laugh our ##### off at Brady not knowing what down it was?  

I mean, I get that it's hard to keep track of stuff like this when you don't have a team official in your headset right up to the snap "helping" you, but other QBs seem to manage.

Edit: The language filter didn't work, so I had to type in some pound signs manually.
oh no, don't take me wrong, it's un-excusable that he lost the count. hilarious.....but it's not the main reason why they lost that game. The Oline coach has some serious work to do this week....

Someone needs to make a compilation of "Turtle Brady" highlights where he goes to the ground every time he feels pressure.

Bruce Arian teams are known to chuck the ball deep.  More importantly, they should be known for a lack of discipline.

When healthy the 2020 Bucs have enough to win the whole thing this season, but they won't be in position to do so if they keep shooting themself in the foot all the time.

I wonder if the Bucs offensive line would be better served if they ran a hurry up offense more often?  The unit looked solid until last night and I felt they would have been better served pushing the pace and forcing the Bears into more simplistic schemes and keeping pass rushers on the field for longer stretches.

You know, you've been playing for 87 years, you know the NFL, you know the refs don't get the down wrong, you hear the call 4th down, ball turns over the Chicago on downs,  players are walking off, and you hold up 4 fingers?  You HAVE to know you're gonna get killed for that. You look - petulant.

I don't get it.
I agree.

Although I think his expression looks more like a combo of bewildered and hurt that they've taken the ball away from him.

"But, but... we get 4 downs..."

Any time I get the chance to laugh at Tom Brady for any reason I am going to take it.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Tom Brady completed 17-of-27 passes for 166 yards and two touchdowns in Tampa Bay's dominating 38-10 Week 6 win over the Packers.

Brady could have pulled up a chair and sipped mai tais as Tampa Bay's defense frustrated the Packers' attack with six sacks, six pass breakups and a pick-six, ultimately gifting the Bucs their fourth win of the year from the opening kick. Brady only had to manage this one until the end, rekindling an old flame with Rob Gronkowski (5/78/1) as Ronald Jones (23/113/2) bulldozed his way to his third consecutive 100-yard performance on the ground. Expect Brady to attempt more than 27 passes against Las Vegas' potent offense in Week 7.

Oct 18, 2020, 7:31 PM ET

Someone needs to make a compilation of "Turtle Brady" highlights where he goes to the ground every time he feels pressure.
Yeah that would be koool.

Then how about a compilation of posts made by you and others that haven't aged well?

"He looks bad for the same reasons he looked bad at the end of last season. His arm is weakening. He doesn't want to get hit. He's going to get hit."

"I pretty much don't expect 43-year-old football players to get better over the course of the season."

Would I be alone in thinking TB has probably moved into the MVP conversation? And no I am not just talking about the over 40 division....

Would I be alone in thinking TB has probably moved into the MVP conversation? And no I am not just talking about the over 40 division....
Russell Wilson and Kylar Murray had their say last night.  Mahomes again of course.  Rodgers.  But when you take into account the change in team AND the difference that one player has made?  Wow. 

Tom Brady through 7 games in 2020:

18 TDs, (+2 TDs rushing)
1,910 yards
4 INTs, no fumbles
8 Sacks

5-2

Jameis through 7 games in 2019:

14 TDs
2,072yds
12 INTs (plus 3 lost fumbles)
28 sacks

2-5

I'd put him behind Wilson, Mahomes and Rodgers.  Possibly even Josh Allen but I see that trajectory changing.  This is Russ's year - he's never even had a single vote before and he'll be on a mission (despite last night's hiccup).  

I'd put him behind Wilson, Mahomes and Rodgers.  Possibly even Josh Allen but I see that trajectory changing.  This is Russ's year - he's never even had a single vote before and he'll be on a mission (despite last night's hiccup).  
I wouldn't argue with any of that and for sure would also consider Wilson the odds on favorite, but I think TB has entered the conversation and if tampa keeps winning....

Yeah, even with the loss last night, Wilson is lapping the field.  He is 5-1 with a defense that has been historically bad (vs 5-2 for Brady who has a great defense). 

Is Brady in the conversation yet?  No.   He has still only been really good in three of their seven games (which is why he is still only 16th in the NFL this season in QBR), and I doubt most of us are surprised that he is still capable of great games like yesterday, but the top MVP candidates are usually the ones who are great week in and week out.  I think he can still get into the conversation, especially if A. Brown stops assaulting people and can stay on the field, but Wilson or Mahomes would both have to really falter for anyone to knock either out of the top two spots.  The narrative is already set in stone.

I wouldn't argue with any of that and for sure would also consider Wilson the odds on favorite, but I think TB has entered the conversation and if tampa keeps winning....
I mean of course.  There is a long way to go so anything is possible.  But I thought you were talking about right now.  

Yeah, even with the loss last night, Wilson is lapping the field.  He is 5-1 with a defense that has been historically bad (vs 5-2 for Brady who has a great defense). 

Is Brady in the conversation yet?  No.   He has still only been really good in three of their seven games (which is why he is still only 16th in the NFL this season in QBR), and I doubt most of us are surprised that he is still capable of great games like yesterday, but the top MVP candidates are usually the ones who are great week in and week out.  I think he can still get into the conversation, especially if A. Brown stops assaulting people and can stay on the field, but Wilson or Mahomes would both have to really falter for anyone to knock either out of the top two spots.  The narrative is already set in stone.
Wilson is still the leader no doubt but lapping the field, not so sure. Another 3 int game and or game deciding late int like last night and hes not lapping any field. He is amazing and will likely deservedly win the mvp this yr. Having said that allow me to play point counter point with you. Yes he's 5-1 with a historically bad def but he has also had the luxury of a cream puff schedule and a bad def leading to inflated stats. For instance, if the tb def wasn't good and or Aaron Rodgers could have gotten up off the matt in the 2nd half is there any doubt the bucs could have scored more in the matchup of the titans 2 weeks ago? 

Brady not in the conversation?  I believe Wilson leads the lg in total tds with 22 and brady is 2nd with 20 (yes, wilson has played 1 less game). ESPN has bradys qbr at 16? Umm ok, PFF has him #3, how can he not at least be in the conversation. No question Wilson is the odds on favorite with Mahomes 2nd, all I am really saying is Brady has entered the conversation where if you are ranking the top 5 he would certainly be among them (I would have him at 3 right now). The bucs would probably need to run the table but if they did, you want to talk about narratives? Wilson & Mahomes didn't switch teams and offenses during the covid no pre season off season and their not 43.

I honestly don't care much about the MVP award, it rarely equates with a SB win so im fine with the likely outcome of Wilson or Mahomes winning it, Brady is 43 for cryin out loud. But I would love to see Tampa in the SB, wouldn't that be somethin.      

Wilson is still the leader no doubt but lapping the field? Another 3 int game and or game losing late int like last night and hes not lapping any field. He is amazing and will likely deservedly win the mvp this yr. Having said that allow me to play point counter point with you. Yes he's 5-1 with a historically bad def but he has also had the luxury of a cream puff schedule and a bad def leading to inflated stats. For instance, if the tb def wasn't good and or Aaron Rodgers could have gotten up off the matt in the 2nd half is there any doubt the bucs could have scored more in the matchup of the titans 2 weeks ago? 

Brady not in the conversation?  I believe Wilson leads the lg in total tds with 22 and brady is 2nd with 20 (yes, wilson has played 1 less game). ESPN has bradys qbr at 16? Umm ok, PFF has him #3, how can he not at least be in the conversation. No question Wilson is the odds on favorite with Mahomes 2nd but MVP is about numbers and wins, seattle keeps winning and wilson wins easily, kc keeps winning and mahomes is odds on 2nd choice. All I am really saying is Brady has entered the conversation where if you are ranking the top 5 he would certainly be among them ( I would have him at 3 right now). The bucs would probably need to run the table but if they did, you want to talk about narratives? Wilson & Mahomes didn't switch teams and offenses during the covid no pre season off season and their not 43.

I honestly don't care much about the MVP award, it rarely equates with a SB win so im fine with the likely outcome of Wilson or Mahomes winning it, Brady is 43 for cryin out loud. But I would love to see Tampa in the SB, wouldn't that be somethin.      
Brady still play really well at times at 43 is definitely amazing.  I can't remember a QB playing having games this good at 43, but let's not forget that he is also having pedestrian games this year where he looks his age, but I get that many are overreacting to his best game of the season, just like many overreacted a few weeks back when the man many call the GOAT forgot what down it was in a clutch situation. But he doesn't get extra points in the MVP race for being 43 like you seem to be implying.  Take Brady off the Bucs are they are likely a 7-win last team like they were last year.   Take Wilson off the Seahawks and they'd be lucky to win more than 4 games with that awful defense.  Some of that has to do with the NFC West being the tougher division as well, but that only demonstrates again how valuable Wilson is to his team.  Yes, that is speculation, but I'd be surprised if anyone disagreed with that, but this is the Shark Pool after all. ;) If he has another 3 INT game, sure, that hurts him, but I am basing my opinion mostly on what has happened thus far, not what might have happen in the future.  Right now, at this moment, Wilson would lap the field and win the award.  If you disagree, that is fine.  I don't expect everyone to agree.

Brady still play really well at times at 43 is definitely amazing.  I can't remember a QB playing having games this good at 43, but let's not forget that he is also having pedestrian games this year where he looks his age, but I get that many are overreacting to his best game of the season, just like many overreacted a few weeks back when the man many call the GOAT forgot what down it was in a clutch situation. But he doesn't get extra points in the MVP race for being 43 like you seem to be implying.  Take Brady off the Bucs are they are likely a 7-win last team like they were last year.   Take Wilson off the Seahawks and they'd be lucky to win more than 4 games with that awful defense.  Some of that has to do with the NFC West being the tougher division as well, but that only demonstrates again how valuable Wilson is to his team.  If he has another 3 INT game, sure, that hurts him, but I am basing my opinion on what has happened thus far, not what might have happen in the future.  Right now, at this moment, Wilson would lap the field and win the award.  If you disagree, that is fine.  I don't expect everyone to agree.
Yes, again we agree, right now Wilson would easily be the choice and realistically Bradys chances of winning it are not very good and I never claimed otherwise. I threw him into the "conversation" to spice things up and tweak the he's all washed up crowd (as recently as a few weeks ago). His only real chance would be if the bucs ran the table and thats unlikely. However, ftr, I don't think people are over reacting to the last game anymore than some over reacted to the early season games where he was playing in a new offense, new team with no off season to get acclimated and they were a bit banged up. Maybe he has been pedestrian at times but he is still #2 in td passes and his new team is now 5-2. Fwiw, they call the man the goat because he is the goat and if some want to blame the Chi loss on him we can agree to disagree. If asked to play the what if game, imho put Brady on the Seahawks with multiple years in the system against the cream puff schedule they have played (the best team they have played is ari and wilson threw the game deciding pick and they lost) and they likely have the same record, maybe better. Put Wilson on the Bucs with new team, new system and no off season with much harder schedule and they likely have same record. Its all just speculation but again we can agree to disagree.

We aren't even half way thru the season so I am basing my opinion on what has happened and what I think is likely to happen in the future. I get that many don't want to see brady succeed (its ok, i understand) but it is imho more likely than not brady and the bucs will get better and grow stronger the more they play together. Ive been at this (goat fan) for almost 20 yrs and we all know the tube of toothpaste is just about empty, just hoping for one last squeeze😉 Its all good, just very happy to see him playing well.     

Brady still play really well at times at 43 is definitely amazing.  I can't remember a QB playing having games this good at 43, but let's not forget that he is also having pedestrian games this year where he looks his age, but I get that many are overreacting to his best game of the season, just like many overreacted a few weeks back when the man many call the GOAT forgot what down it was in a clutch situation. But he doesn't get extra points in the MVP race for being 43 like you seem to be implying.  Take Brady off the Bucs are they are likely a 7-win last team like they were last year.   Take Wilson off the Seahawks and they'd be lucky to win more than 4 games with that awful defense.  Some of that has to do with the NFC West being the tougher division as well, but that only demonstrates again how valuable Wilson is to his team.  Yes, that is speculation, but I'd be surprised if anyone disagreed with that, but this is the Shark Pool after all. ;) If he has another 3 INT game, sure, that hurts him, but I am basing my opinion mostly on what has happened thus far, not what might have happen in the future.  Right now, at this moment, Wilson would lap the field and win the award.  If you disagree, that is fine.  I don't expect everyone to agree.
The ‘pedestrian’ games Brady have had have nothing to do with his age. He hasn’t looked old once imo. More with evans and Godwin hurt, and no offseason to get used to teammates. 

Leaders in Big Time Throws:
1. Tom Brady – 24
2. Russell Wilson – 23
3. Deshaun Watson – 20
T-4. Josh Allen/ Aaron Rodgers – 17

The ‘pedestrian’ games Brady have had have nothing to do with his age. He hasn’t looked old once imo. More with evans and Godwin hurt, and no offseason to get used to teammates. 
Agree 100 percent. There's no "old" there. Compare this to Peytons final season and it's a night and day difference (even though this is surely not Bradys final season) 

NE_REVIVAL said:
Yes, again we agree, right now Wilson would easily be the choice and realistically Bradys chances of winning it are not very good and I never claimed otherwise. I threw him into the "conversation" to spice things up and tweak the he's all washed up crowd (as recently as a few weeks ago). His only real chance would be if the bucs ran the table and thats unlikely. However, ftr, I don't think people are over reacting to the last game anymore than some over reacted to the early season games where he was playing in a new offense, new team with no off season to get acclimated and they were a bit banged up. Maybe he has been pedestrian at times but he is still #2 in td passes and his new team is now 5-2. Fwiw, they call the man the goat because he is the goat and if some want to blame the Chi loss on him we can agree to disagree. If asked to play the what if game, imho put Brady on the Seahawks with multiple years in the system against the cream puff schedule they have played (the best team they have played is ari and wilson threw the game deciding pick and they lost) and they likely have the same record, maybe better. Put Wilson on the Bucs with new team, new system and no off season with much harder schedule and they likely have same record. Its all just speculation but again we can agree to disagree.

We aren't even half way thru the season so I am basing my opinion on what has happened and what I think is likely to happen in the future. I get that many don't want to see brady succeed (its ok, i understand) but it is imho more likely than not brady and the bucs will get better and grow stronger the more they play together. Ive been at this (goat fan) for almost 20 yrs and we all know the tube of toothpaste is just about empty, just hoping for one last squeeze😉 Its all good, just very happy to see him playing well.     

Capella said:
I don't think the "no offseason to get used to new teammates" matters all that much.  Teddy Bridgewater is doing pretty well, all things considered, on a team with new teammates in Carolina, and rookies Burrow and Herbert are doing just fine (albeit not a lot of wins yet, but those guys are playing really well).   It's not like Brady is the only guy this year to get used to new teammates, and if we can believe reports, they were breaking protocol over the summer and finding ways to practice, so it's not like he walked into week 1 with new teammates to whom he had never thrown passes.

I don't think the "no offseason to get used to new teammates" matters all that much.  Teddy Bridgewater is doing pretty well, all things considered, on a team with new teammates in Carolina, and rookies Burrow and Herbert are doing just fine (albeit not a lot of wins yet, but those guys are playing really well).   It's not like Brady is the only guy this year to get used to new teammates, and if we can believe reports, they were breaking protocol over the summer and finding ways to practice, so it's not like he walked into week 1 with new teammates to whom he had never thrown passes.
None of those quarterbacks are playing as well as Brady so I don’t know what your point is? Of course it takes everybody time to get up to speed, to suggest otherwise is ridiculous. 

None of those quarterbacks are playing as well as Brady so I don’t know what your point is? Of course it takes everybody time to get up to speed, to suggest otherwise is ridiculous. 
The point was obvious: it is not unheard of or rare in 2020 to play good football with new teammates despite not having a normal offseason due to COVID.  I apologize if I didn't make that more clear in my prior post.

The point was obvious: it is not unheard of or rare in 2020 to play good football with new teammates despite not having a normal offseason due to COVID.  I apologize if I didn't make that more clear in my prior post.
No the point was clear it’s just not a good one.

Fair points, a new team during covid off season is not a Mt Everest size challenge by any means but clearly harder to come out of the gate fast while you are trying to establish chemistry in an ew offense with new receivers. Probably not a significant factor but it would would be a data point working in his favor on narrative street should he play well and the bucs become dominant (imho).  Again, just really happy to see him play well this season and make it to the playoffs. 

Tom Brady targeting WRs:

2007 (age 30) - The year he threw 50TDs and 4800yds
70% Comp pct
9.1 Yds per att
122.6 passer rating

2020 (age 43)
72% Comp pct
9.4 Yds per att
123.0 passer rating

Tom the clear winner here obviously.

Tampa looks like a contender in NFC (and just added one of the most decorated WR of all time in AB) while a near 70 Bill looking at a lost season w/o Tom. Tom wasn't the completely replaceable part one tried to convince all all offseason. Nor was Stidham NFL ready. Stidham looks terrible (to be kind) and won't be the heir apparent. Cam looks like the disaster like he's looked the better part of 2 years now. 

Fire sale time for New England.

Tom Brady completed 28-of-40 passes for 279 yards and two touchdowns in the Bucs' 25-23, Week 8 win over the Giants Monday night.

The Giants gave Brady some fits in this one, sacking him twice, and forcing him into a couple errant throws, but the Bucs were able to survive and move to 6-2. Brady's two touchdowns were second-half, inside-the-10 hookups with Rob Gronkowski and Mike Evans from three and eight yards out, respectively. The Evans one was a perfectly-thrown fade over the top of CB James Bradberry. Brady has multiple touchdown passes in 6-of-8 games and has settled in as a solid floor way with an elevated ceiling as a QB1. He'll get Antonio Brown added to his arsenal in Week 9 against the Saints, and Chris Godwin also hopes to return from his broken index finger.

Nov 2, 2020, 11:21 PM ET

He missed throws tonight but showed why is so great as a real NFL quarterback. Lives to see another day if the play breaks down. He’ll take a sack by covering up. Just no fumble. And he’ll throw it away vs trying to make low percentage hero throws. The opposite of Wentz/Winston 

Users who are viewing this thread