What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Tom Brady, TB (1 Viewer)

One reason for thinking about a bounceback? Brady's private quarterback coach Tom House told Sirius XM he thinks it was mechanics causing the Patriots QB's struggles.

"As he's getting a little older you lose a little strength, you lose a little flexibility," House said, via the Boston Globe. "And what was happening was he was noticing that his accuracy and his long ball weren't what they were three or four years ago. So we ran him through the computer, compared him to the models we have created for movement efficiency, and there were really, really small things that were causing his issues."

Just Win Baby said:
Sounds like wishful thinking IMO.
LOL. These types of generic bashing comments never cease to amaze me.

Brady threw for over 4,300 yds last season. If you prorate his final eight games when he finally had some semblance of a WR corps he would have had 5,000 yds and 32 TD's.

It was only two years ago when Peyton had "mechanical" issues and couldn't throw to his right at all due to the neck surgery.

Brady will be back in form this year with Gronk back and one more year of seasoning with his green WR corps.

The difference is that last year, he was still being drafted as something like QB5-10, when it was obvious that he didn't have the receiving options to support that. As of now, when being draft as QB12+, there's significant room to beat those expectations.

A few small differences between this year and last year - ideally Gronk, Vereen, and Amendola being healthy (all questionable), Dobson a year older, Edelmen back and a proven option - combined with lowered expectations, make him a decent value play.

Brady/Romo/Cutler/Big Ben/Palmer all make decent options as value QB2s who could perform like QB1s.

Last edited by a moderator:
The difference is that last year, he was still being drafted as something like QB5-10, when it was obvious that he didn't have the receiving options to support that. As of now, when being draft as QB12+, there's significant room to beat those expectations.

A few small differences between this year and last year - ideally Gronk, Vereen, and Amendola being healthy (all questionable), Dobson a year older, Edelmen back and a proven option - combined with lowered expectations, make him a decent value play.

Brady/Romo/Cutler/Big Ben/Palmer all make decent options as value QB2s who could perform like QB1s.
This is shaping up to be a great buy at the spot you will get him. Classic over-reaction of fantasy players: whenever a good player has a down year, it hurts/crushes/breaks the hearts of some owners and they swear off the player. People bail, despite all signs being practical that the player will return (a health improvement, a very logical situation that was remedied, the presence of weapons around the player they didn't have before).

People need to remember that this is TOm Brady. Not some guy like Derek Anderson that had one good year. This is a HOF icon that basically lost his top FIVE receivers last year and strapped it together on the fly with duct tape and still finished fantasy qb 12-14. If you can get him as the 12-14th QB off the board this year you are stealing. He is as good a candidate as there is to finish top 5-7 and you can buy that 2-4 rounds later? YES!

Fine with the rest but don't trust Palmer.

This is shaping up to be a great buy at the spot you will get him. Classic over-reaction of fantasy players: whenever a good player has a down year, it hurts/crushes/breaks the hearts of some owners and they swear off the player. People bail, despite all signs being practical that the player will return (a health improvement, a very logical situation that was remedied, the presence of weapons around the player they didn't have before).

People need to remember that this is TOm Brady. Not some guy like Derek Anderson that had one good year. This is a HOF icon that basically lost his top FIVE receivers last year and strapped it together on the fly with duct tape and still finished fantasy qb 12-14. If you can get him as the 12-14th QB off the board this year you are stealing. He is as good a candidate as there is to finish top 5-7 and you can buy that 2-4 rounds later? YES!
If that happens, it's great, but his ADP is showing him no lower than the 7th round as QB9. To me that's right where he should be.

Interesting Brady stats Phantom, I didn't realize he was that productive in the 2nd half-thumbs up.
I think that is mostly because the one monster game he had, against Pittsburgh, came in the 2nd half of the season. Granted, he was still better in the 2nd half of the season even without that game, but he still wasn't what he used to be. And it wasn't just because he had green receivers. I just remember being shocked at how many errant throws he made and open receivers he simply missed, as Brady is usually dead accurate.

This is shaping up to be a great buy at the spot you will get him. Classic over-reaction of fantasy players: whenever a good player has a down year, it hurts/crushes/breaks the hearts of some owners and they swear off the player. People bail, despite all signs being practical that the player will return (a health improvement, a very logical situation that was remedied, the presence of weapons around the player they didn't have before).People need to remember that this is TOm Brady. Not some guy like Derek Anderson that had one good year. This is a HOF icon that basically lost his top FIVE receivers last year and strapped it together on the fly with duct tape and still finished fantasy qb 12-14. If you can get him as the 12-14th QB off the board this year you are stealing. He is as good a candidate as there is to finish top 5-7 and you can buy that 2-4 rounds later? YES!
If that happens, it's great, but his ADP is showing him no lower than the 7th round as QB9. To me that's right where he should be.
I hadn't looked too hard at adp. Was just going by comments I saw posted here recently but what you're saying sounds right. Sounds fair.

That might be going to far in the other direction. Pro-Brady arguments last year were something like "remember this is Tom Freaking Brady!" You don't get points for past SBs or HOF career or being an icon, etc.

But slow your roll a bit ... he did finish as "QB 14" in my leagues based on season totals, but it's deceptive.... he was 20th in terms of PPG, even include his late season surge (before that he was in the 20s), behind the talents of Sam Bradford, Josh McCown, and Alex Smith.

He still doesn't have GREAT weapons (but decent if including Gronk and Vereen), and still won't throw the ball as much as the Saints/Lions/Broncos etc. I'm saying he's a decent QBBC or QB2 with low end QB1 upside, but... the top 5 QB he is no more.

This is shaping up to be a great buy at the spot you will get him. Classic over-reaction of fantasy players: whenever a good player has a down year, it hurts/crushes/breaks the hearts of some owners and they swear off the player. People bail, despite all signs being practical that the player will return (a health improvement, a very logical situation that was remedied, the presence of weapons around the player they didn't have before).People need to remember that this is TOm Brady. Not some guy like Derek Anderson that had one good year. This is a HOF icon that basically lost his top FIVE receivers last year and strapped it together on the fly with duct tape and still finished fantasy qb 12-14. If you can get him as the 12-14th QB off the board this year you are stealing. He is as good a candidate as there is to finish top 5-7 and you can buy that 2-4 rounds later? YES!
I hadn't looked too hard at adp. Was just going by comments I saw posted here recently but what you're saying sounds right. Sounds fair.
The ADP varies - he's QB9 on FFC and QB11 on MFL. I may have exagerated - thought was going at or after QB12.

Brady posted 209-321-2519-16-5 over his last 8 games . . . and that included games with 172 yards and 122 yards over the last two games. Given that his only healthy receiver through that stretch was Edelman, those are some pretty lofty numbers. My only fear for Brady's fantasy outlook is that the defense should be better (at least on paper) and NE may look to run more and throw less. With a more balanced attack, I don't think Brady would make a run at 5000 passing yards. I do think overall he represents good value for this year, but again, it depends what it costs to get him.

Brady posted 209-321-2519-16-5 over his last 8 games . . . and that included games with 172 yards and 122 yards over the last two games. Given that his only healthy receiver through that stretch was Edelman, those are some pretty lofty numbers. My only fear for Brady's fantasy outlook is that the defense should be better (at least on paper) and NE may look to run more and throw less. With a more balanced attack, I don't think Brady would make a run at 5000 passing yards. I do think overall he represents good value for this year, but again, it depends what it costs to get him.
I agree he will probably be good value. But all this talk about his stretch run conveniently ignores his 2 playoff games.

I agree he will probably be good value. But all this talk about his stretch run conveniently ignores his 2 playoff games.
I am in the camp that . . .

1 - Brady was hurt by his receiving corps from the previous year not being around last year

2 - Brady was hurt by injuries to his OL

3 - Brady was hurt by key injuries on defense that kept the defense on the field

4 - Brady was hurt by his receiving corps getting banged up last year

5 - Brady's skills have declined some (not as accurate, problems with longer throws, hears the footsteps and releases ball too early sometimes, not the same rapport with receivers or being too nitpicky)

I also think the article that said he might not be a Top 5 NFL QB based on skills alone anymore is probably more right than wrong, but that doesn't mean he is a terrible QB. Nothing wrong with being a Top 6-7 NFL QB on skills and mechanics . . . playing in a Top 3 offensive system. Fantasy wise, I don't see him going toe to toe with Peyton, Rodgers, or Brees, but he could be somewhere in the next tier (in that QB4 to QB8 range with not a lot separating any of them).

On my list, the first 4 could all change for the better, so he can easily improve on his 2013 numbers.

Brady was terrorized by his WRs last year. He had 41 passes dropped, second only to Det/Stafford. 28 of those drops were by WRs. That number alone would have ranked 11th worst in the NFL and I don't think any team was worse from the position. NE WRs dropped 7% of their passes.

13 Julian EdelmanWR NE 105 8 151 69.5% 5.3%

14 Aaron Dobson WR NE 37 7 72 51.4% 9.7%

18 Shane Vereen RB NE 47 7 69 68.1% 10.1%

24 Kenbrell Thompkins WR NE 32 7 70 45.7% 10.0%

70 Danny Amendola WR NE 54 4 83 65.1% 4.8%

105 Brandon Bolden RB NE 21 3 29 72.4% 10.3%

174 Josh Boyce WR NE 9 2 19 47.4% 10.5%

227 Rob Gronkowski TE NE 39 1 66 59.1% 1.5%

233 Stevan Ridley RB NE 10 1 12 83.3% 8.3%

My only fear for Brady's fantasy outlook is that the defense should be better (at least on paper) and NE may look to run more and throw less.

3 - Brady was hurt by key injuries on defense that kept the defense on the field
ummmmm......
Last year the defense was horrible on third down and struggled to get off the field. That didn't help the Pats because the offense couldn't produce without the ball.

THIS YEAR, if the Pats defense is DEMONSTRATIVELY better and in the Top 3, I see that as a potential problem as they could be ahead and opt to run a lot. If they are moderately better but still giving up some points and letting teams move the ball, I think that helps the offense (get the ball more but still need to keep scoring as the other team is moving the ball and scoring).

For example, if the Pats have a defense that doesn't give up much and NE gets up 17-0 in the first half and they can count on the defense, I think we might see more grinding out games than Brady throwing the ball all over the field (see the last two games of the regular season as examples). Running burns clock, they don't risk interceptions, and they essentially get to play keep away from their opponent (like teams did for long stretches against NE last year).

Anarchy99 said:
Kool-Aid Larry said:
Anarchy99 said:
My only fear for Brady's fantasy outlook is that the defense should be better (at least on paper) and NE may look to run more and throw less.
Anarchy99 said:

ummmmm......
Last year the defense was horrible on third down and struggled to get off the field. That didn't help the Pats because the offense couldn't produce without the ball.

THIS YEAR, if the Pats defense is DEMONSTRATIVELY better and in the Top 3, I see that as a potential problem as they could be ahead and opt to run a lot. If they are moderately better but still giving up some points and letting teams move the ball, I think that helps the offense (get the ball more but still need to keep scoring as the other team is moving the ball and scoring).

For example, if the Pats have a defense that doesn't give up much and NE gets up 17-0 in the first half and they can count on the defense, I think we might see more grinding out games than Brady throwing the ball all over the field (see the last two games of the regular season as examples). Running burns clock, they don't risk interceptions, and they essentially get to play keep away from their opponent (like teams did for long stretches against NE last year).
Can't see any way the patriots have a top 3 defense.

Brady is okay but the argument about his bad wrs isn't very comforting. They don't look much better this year if at all.

Anarchy99 said:
Kool-Aid Larry said:
Anarchy99 said:
Anarchy99 said:

ummmmm......

Can't see any way the patriots have a top 3 defense.

Brady is okay but the argument about his bad wrs isn't very comforting. They don't look much better this year if at all.
I won't make any claims either way on the defense ---- a lot of that stuff comes down to injuries.

but you should understand how much talent they added, how much was missing last year, and the fact that their defense has done pretty well in some areas, the last few years, despite not always looking the best.

they were just 3 points out of 8th in points allowed last year, despite the injuries, and once you get past the standout 2 teams in turnovers, the pats were 1 of 10 teams in the 29-31 range which is a category they typically do well in.

add the injured players back, add the new ones, and I think this is a very promising defense.

as for the receivers -- gronk will be huge, and I think dobson will be much more productive in his second year and with the broken foot healed, not to mention amendola (no jinx)

Ignoring that this is the Tom Brady thread, I'm taking the Pats D in every league this year - they're my #1 D/ST this year.

Just Win Baby said:
Anarchy99 said:
Probably because the NFL playoffs mean nothing to us in fantasy usually. Aaron Rodgers had subpar playoff appearance a few years ago and it doesn't effect the perception of him.

Overall, I think people just generally recognize the regular season isn't the same as having a couple of weeks where you play the best of the best after a long season and the team is beat up on offense. Not saying it should or should not be factored, just thinking that's how people probably see it.

Anarchy99 said:
Someone check me o n this (speculating here), but back in '97, wasn't that the same kind of fear being mentioned? Wasn't the perception that the Pats may be so solid on defense that they would let the air out of the ball a bit? Once they started so hot, wasn't the thought that "when they clinch, they will slow down?"

I'm just asking because I kind of get the feeling that the personality and mindset of Bray, Hoodie, etc, is that they will step all the way through your throat with the gas pedal down if they can. After seeing all the lauding about the Broncos last season, I think if the Pats CAN look impressive on offense, they will.

Anarchy99 said:
Someone check me o n this (speculating here), but back in '97, wasn't that the same kind of fear being mentioned? Wasn't the perception that the Pats may be so solid on defense that they would let the air out of the ball a bit? Once they started so hot, wasn't the thought that "when they clinch, they will slow down?"

I'm just asking because I kind of get the feeling that the personality and mindset of Bray, Hoodie, etc, is that they will step all the way through your throat with the gas pedal down if they can. After seeing all the lauding about the Broncos last season, I think if the Pats CAN look impressive on offense, they will.
One of the old sayings in football is show me a pro-bowl corner and I will show you a pro-bowl DE, and vice versa. I think if Revis is healthy, the combo of him with Jones and Nink and Collins is going to present some filthy problems for opponents this year and, in turn, it's not far fetched to think there will be a good share of short field opportunities.

Anarchy99 said:

I am guessing you mean 07 not 97. And I don't think the 2014 offense has the bullets that the 07 team did. Brady also not in his prime and starting to decline. Not apples to apples IMO.

Anarchy99 said:

I am guessing you mean 07 not 97. And I don't think the 2014 offense has the bullets that the 07 team did. Brady also not in his prime and starting to decline. Not apples to apples IMO.
I did mean '07. Thanks.

It's almost impossible to ever have a true "apples to apples" comparison in the NFL. Everything is so interdependent and so much changes so fast across the league.

I really don't know how any of us can say a guy is declining or out of his prime at the QB position. We look at age and assume. We don't know the conditions and/or injuries guys were playing with. We all (99% of us) assumed a 36, 37 year old Manning coming off injury was declining compared to a 28 version of himself and we were dead wrong. We wrote Kurt Warner off and then he had 3-4 awesome seasons. Point being, if there is one, its really hard to say that with any conviction at the QB position. We can see it in a RBs legs, a Wr's ability to do certain things. But there is so much going on with a QB, its hard for me to buy into a 34 year old being a shell of himself from a 32 version, or whatnot. I just don't think there is that much of a difference.

speaking of pats' defense, I was checking it out just now at gridironwhatever

DPS, or the Defensive Productivity Statistic, is the inspiration for this entire site. Traditional stats penalize defenses that are constantly put in difficult positions by poor offensive/special teams play, and don't reward defenses that make plays to win football games.

To eliminate these issues and provide a true metric of defensive performance, DPS describes how a defense performs in every game situation compared to how an average defense performed in history.

This means that defenses aren't penalized when their offense throws a pick-six, or when they hold their opponent to a field goal on a drive that started on their own goal line. This also means that defenses are rewarded for creating turnovers and scoring off those turnovers.

The end result is a statistic that simply describes the effectiveness of a defense based on historical probabilities and expectations. The DPS score is also easily interpreted: an average defense will have a DPS of 0, the best teams during any given season will have a DPS around 100, and the worst will have a DPS around -100. Need more proof? Here's an example calculation
last year they had the pats ranked 5th in the first 8 games, but dropping to 23rd in the 2nd half of the season.

Rotoworld:

Tom Brady - QB - Patriots

Tom Brady is 3-of-20 on passes of that travel 15 yards or more this season.

Brady was 2-of-18 looking down the field in Week 1 and then barely even attempted to push the ball to the intermediate range in Week 2. It reminds of last season, when the 37-year-old struggled with both accuracy and zip on longer passes. If Brady can't shred the Raiders at home in Week 3, we'll have some real concerns.

Source: Boston Globe

Sep 16 - 9:32 AM

Don't know what to do about this guy. Would love to try and trade up for a better QB, but that's looking pretty hard right about now.

I'm not worried, this isnt a flash in the pan type QB who we are worried about not living up to hype, this is a 3 time Super Bowl winning elite QB. Once Gronk plays every snap and a WR other than Edelman emerges, we will see the Brady bunch return. My worry is the abysmal play calling on offense. Its not really the amount of pass to run plays called, just when they are called.

I'm not sure I would count on another WR emerging. Thompkins and Dobson are both still young, but seem hit or miss. Amendola cannot stay healthy and seems like an afterthought now. LaFell stinks.

Rotoworld:

Tom Brady - QB - Patriots

Tom Brady is 3-of-20 on passes of that travel 15 yards or more this season.

Brady was 2-of-18 looking down the field in Week 1 and then barely even attempted to push the ball to the intermediate range in Week 2. It reminds of last season, when the 37-year-old struggled with both accuracy and zip on longer passes. If Brady can't shred the Raiders at home in Week 3, we'll have some real concerns.

Source: Boston Globe

Sep 16 - 9:32 AM
I think this is a little overblown

the bulk of these were either chucks in the final seconds of the first half in the miami game, or trying to come back in 2 minute offense in the 4th quarter.

that said, it would be nicer if he had actually hit some of those, but it is what it is.

I think one of the problems is that the offensive line really hasn't been giving him the kind of platform he needs for that kind of throw, and he hasn't had much to work with downfield for receivers.

we have a couple rookie o-linemen working in that may help with the former, and I'm hopeful dobson can help with the latter.

I think it's fair to be concerned, but I'd hold rather than panic.

maybe scoop cousins if you can and don't already have a decent 2nd qb.

I'm most definitely worried about Tom Terrific. His arm seems to have lost some juice this offseason. Like he's pushing the ball instead of letting it rip. The falloff has to happen some day. I had a lot of faith in him this preseason, but at that age, skills can decline progressively quick. I am looking to sell now before he faces the Raiders. Like rotoworld said, if he can't tear up the Raiders, he may be done. Right now, enough owners out there still believe.

I'm most definitely worried about Tom Terrific. His arm seems to have lost some juice this offseason. Like he's pushing the ball instead of letting it rip. The falloff has to happen some day. I had a lot of faith in him this preseason, but at that age, skills can decline progressively quick. I am looking to sell now before he faces the Raiders. Like rotoworld said, if he can't tear up the Raiders, he may be done. Right now, enough owners out there still believe.
He'll be traded to a QB desperate team next year and Garoppolo will be the starter.

He'll be traded to a QB desperate team next year and Garoppolo will be the starter.
Hope so. I own Garappolo in dynasty.

The drop-off happened last year, but many were in denial, instead blaming it on his green WRs and giving him all of the credit for the Patriots still winning 12 games. To clarify, I still think Brady is a really good QB; he's still a borderline top 5 QB, cause he doesn't throw interceptions and he's still a guy I'd be scared of at the end of games. He just isn't the super terrific awesome QB he was for a decade. But hey, the guy is 37 now. Very few quarterbacks are as good at 37 as they were at 28 or 29.

The drop-off happened last year, but many were in denial, instead blaming it on his green WRs and giving him all of the credit for the Patriots still winning 12 games. To clarify, I still think Brady is a really good QB; he's still a borderline top 5 QB, cause he doesn't throw interceptions and he's still a guy I'd be scared of at the end of games. He just isn't the super terrific awesome QB he was for a decade. But hey, the guy is 37 now. Very few quarterbacks are as good at 37 as they were at 28 or 29.
He's now become Alex Smith.

What I see here is what to expect from football guys. The panic on this site is unheard of. The Ellington drama for example. People thought he was gone for 6 weeks because of a radio guy and he has not even missed time. Get your head on straight people, its two weeks into the season, if you are looking to bail on Brady now, panic is your middle name.

It's not panic. It's acknowledging the trend. Since the start of last season:

-Brady has thrown for less than 200 yards in 6 of 18 regular season games.

-Brady has thrown 1 or 0 TDs in 10 of 18 regular season games.

What I see here is what to expect from football guys. The panic on this site is unheard of. The Ellington drama for example. People thought he was gone for 6 weeks because of a radio guy and he has not even missed time. Get your head on straight people, its two weeks into the season, if you are looking to bail on Brady now, panic is your middle name.
:fishy:

What if one was down on him after watching him play last season, and the first two games just confirm that belief?

I've still yet to watch him play this year. But ten points a game isn't really cutting it for my fantasy likings.

Time to make a change.

If people were expecting 2011 Brady, then I don't know what they were thinking.

He played fine against the Vikings, just didn't have the attempts because the defense got 4 turnovers and a blocked kick for a TD. Brady has always struggled in Miami for whatever reason.

I'm not worried about Brady at all. He doesn't have that #1 QB upside anymore, but I think he'll still be a top-10 guy.

I think Brady is still a great NFL quarterback, but fantasy wise he is going back to his pre 2007 Brady. Most of the time he was around qb 8 to 12 and he is best server as a qbbc for fantasy purposes.

well, people said the exact same stuff about him last year, and I actually didn't even bother to take him in my drafts for maybe the first time in years, but to be fair, he only had gronk weeks 7-14, and the well documented 'and the rest' in the other weeks.

week 7 - terrible production on 46 throws @jets

week 8 - terrible production on 22 throws v miami

gronk played about half the snaps in those games

in the following 5 games in weeks 9-14 (inc bye) he averaged

43 att/game

~370 yds/game

~8.6 ypa

~68% completion

with a total 12 td / 3 int

so, I'm not just splitting out some small sample, but if he's so old and terrible how did he do that?

did he actually get younger in the 2nd half of the season, or is it that this offseason aged him dramatically, just like last offseason?

in his very final game of the year, the game in which he was the oldest, he was on the road at denver, who had a pretty decent defense --- with no gronk, his primary receivers were edelman, amendola, and austin collie, who had been signed off the street in october, and subsequently cut and re-signed periodically throughout the season.

24/38 63% 277/1 7.3 ypa no picks + a rush td

is that supposed to be terrible, or are fantasy nerds just desensitized to anything short of 400/4?

Mommy said if things don't turn out right at first... you've still got to believe.

Larry pointed out reasons to like Brady, but I pointed out the same stats to be concerned several pages ago. Brady's fantasy value at this point hingers on having a huge volume of passing attempts. As I said earlier, if the defense plays well, the Pats will run and run often. So people will have to gamble how well the defense plays and if they can run the football, because the days of airing the ball out and running up the score by design are gone. They may have games where Brady has to pass a ton to stay in games, but I still think those won't happen as much as they did last year.

Users who are viewing this thread