What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Nic Toon NO (1 Viewer)

Anyone got good info on Nic Toon and how he is doing/looking in the off season?
It's a little too early to tell.

I saw him in training camp last year and I don't think it was just me that was a little disappointed. He had some drops in camp and in preseasaon and he did not do much in preseason overall. And he got hurt in what could have been a year in which he would have been relied upon.

The Saints are shifting gears at WR after years of having Henderson, Meachem and Arrington manning the 3-5 WR spots. Morgan still has to prove he can do short to intermediate routes, and Kenny Stills was drafted to fill the deep role. The Saints also have a slew of undrafted free agents, maybe as many as 3-4 who can make the team, things are extremely competitive right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
worthless, trash, garbage. Not even Drew Brees can make him worth anything.
Pretty much this. I know since you started this thread, and were looking for 'other opinions', that you're looking to validate a higher value of him, but there's really nothing that he's done that has shown a lot of promise in the NFL level.

worthless, trash, garbage. Not even Drew Brees can make him worth anything.
Pretty much this. I know since you started this thread, and were looking for 'other opinions', that you're looking to validate a higher value of him, but there's really nothing that he's done that has shown a lot of promise in the NFL level.
Yeah, he was injured last year and put on IR as a rookie. Throw him away cause he showed nothing.

It will take patience but I think it could be worth holding him long-term.

He was hurt in college and last year but, at times, in college, he was the kind of guy that never made you say "WOW" but you could tell was a solid, steady player. I remember watching him a few years ago and thinking that he might emerge, eventually, as just a really good all-around player that every once in a while might have a hot stretch. Probably too much to say he could be like Greg Jennings but that is what comes to mind; a guy you have to put some time into but will be useful for a handful of seasons and might be really good for a stretch.

he could turn into a third guy but that is about it he was just never lee evans or chambers or even aberdarus take that to the bank brohans

Pass on him, let someone take the huge risk that he will even be an average WR.

Living in Wisconsin watched his whole career at UW. When he came in a lot of people thought he got there due to his last name. He played pretty well at times but was never a guy that would dominate a game or one that teams had to key on each week,.

Aberdaus is a nice feel good story for fans, but if the past staff would have recruited some WRs that could play he would be no better than a second WR. He might be a 5th WR on an NFL team because he will play specail teams but Toon is a better pro option than him.

Not sure what the "huge risk" is, you can get him for basically nothing. He's worth the flyer imo because his competition in the WR core isn't very strong. Outside of Colston who gets hurt, is the dependable but 30 year old Lance Moore. Then you have the likes of Morgan, Stills, Givens, and a bunch of nobodies. Anyone in that high powered offense is worth taking a flyer on.

Not sure what the "huge risk" is, you can get him for basically nothing. He's worth the flyer imo because his competition in the WR core isn't very strong. Outside of Colston who gets hurt, is the dependable but 30 year old Lance Moore. Then you have the likes of Morgan, Stills, Givens, and a bunch of nobodies. Anyone in that high powered offense is worth taking a flyer on.
Colston missed five games in 2008. Other than that, he has missed five games in seven years.

He stays healthy more than people give him credit for.

Colston missed five games in 2008. Other than that, he has missed five games in seven years.

You need to re-do your second sentence - should read "other than that, he has MISSED five games in SIX years", but he's also missed far more starts than that and has been limited in quite a few games. He's missed 17 starts in the last 3 seasons. You'd think the #1 guy in such a high powered offense would have topped 1,202 yards at least once in a 7 year career. He hasn't.

Missing that many games, and for a range of different things, is a concern, especially for a WR when that typically is a pretty healthy position. Calvin has only missed 3 starts in the past 5 seasons, Marshall only 6 in 6 years two of which were suspension, Larry Fitz has missed one game in 6 years - even Hakeem Nicks who everyone thinks is an injury waiting to happen has had more starts the past 3 seasons.

It's a legit concern. Not sure it's enough to invest much in Toon, but if you have the roster room, why not?

matttyl said:
kutta said:
jsharlan said:

You need to re-do your second sentence - should read "other than that, he has MISSED five games in SIX years", but he's also missed far more starts than that and has been limited in quite a few games. He's missed 17 starts in the last 3 seasons. You'd think the #1 guy in such a high powered offense would have topped 1,202 yards at least once in a 7 year career. He hasn't.

Missing that many games, and for a range of different things, is a concern, especially for a WR when that typically is a pretty healthy position. Calvin has only missed 3 starts in the past 5 seasons, Marshall only 6 in 6 years two of which were suspension, Larry Fitz has missed one game in 6 years - even Hakeem Nicks who everyone thinks is an injury waiting to happen has had more starts the past 3 seasons.

It's a legit concern. Not sure it's enough to invest much in Toon, but if you have the roster room, why not?
This is a good point. There are opportunities in FF when rosters open up but offenses are expected to continue to be strong.

So the Steelers transitioning from Ward and Wallace, the Pats without AHern, Welker, Lloyd, Branch and maybe Gronk, and the like.

Though Morgan got in some nice plays and time last year it wasn't much, and there is and could be a lot of room to fill in that offense if Colston goes out and even if he doesn't. He has been super tough over the middle and in the end zone over the years and though he's not "old" maybe it's starting to take its toll. I do know Payton will have some new wrinkle this year, remains to be seen what though.

Besides Toon and Morgan, there is also Benjamin Watson, Kenny Stills, Preston Parker, Saalim Hakim, Jarred Fayson, and Andy Tanner. I wouldn't write any of them off from having a major uptick in receptions this year, though Morgan and Toon are the real favorites.

He's pretty much an unknown as an NFL player because his foot problems have kept him off the field. I wasn't a huge fan of his out of Wisconsin, but I've bought him cheap in a couple leagues this offseason. There are enough positives to warrant minor investment. Great combine numbers, decent draft pedigree, and a good opportunity. Colston and Moore will both be 30+ this season. At some point New Orleans will need to find a replacement. Maybe Toon is that guy. Maybe not. The price is low enough that it's worth a flyer.

The more I hear about Toon, the more he sounds like Anthony Gonzalez when he was expected to be the #3 on the Peyton Manning Colts offense. Is that a fair comparisoin?

Don't want to divert the thread, but I'm super-high on Kenny Stills in the NOS offense. Lance Moore is 30, Nick Toon is average (at best), and Joe Morgan *could* be a flash in the pan.

When I said risk I meant drafting him even in the final round. I can see tracking him and using him as a waiver wire if he starts to get targets in the offense.But with Colston, Moore, Graham, and Sproles to share with.

Don't want to divert the thread, but I'm super-high on Kenny Stills in the NOS offense. Lance Moore is 30, Nick Toon is average (at best), and Joe Morgan *could* be a flash in the pan.
Does Joe still have that twitch in his elbow? :)

Edited: You have to be around 50 or over to understand that one.

I recently paid a 2014 4th for him, I feel like there's a good chance he could end up #3. Stills reportedly did not stand out much at OTAs or minicamps.

I recently paid a 2014 4th for him, I feel like there's a good chance he could end up #3. Stills reportedly did not stand out much at OTAs or minicamps.
I'm an OU fan, and I'm not big on Stills. Like.. at all. Toon has those rare attributes that you like to see from a 3rd round or later NFL prospect.

Rotoworld:

Saints second-year WR Nick Toon has been the biggest beneficiary in terms of camp reps from Marques Colston's (foot) absence.
The Saints are easing Colston into camp, and it appears Toon is being utilized as his primary backup at slot receiver. The outside wideouts are Lance Moore and Joe Morgan. Toon is in the hunt for No. 4 receiver duties, trying to hold off Kenny Stills, Andy Tanner, and Saalim Hakim. Still, it's notable that he's Colston's direct backup, in case Colston misses time during the season.

Source: New Orleans Times-Picayune

Rotoworld:

According to the New Orleans Times-Picayune, second-year WR Nick Toon "continues (to) standout" in Saints camp.
A 2012 fourth-rounder, Toon missed his entire rookie season with a foot injury. He's fighting for a spot in the slot behind starter Marques Colston. It's too soon to forecast Toon's fantasy value, but any Saints receiver is worth keeping an eye on.

I really, really, really like Toon. 60% Redzone target conversion rate in college, 4.42 speed, 39 inch vertical. Dude can ball. I wrote an article on him and so did a colleague. They are behind a paywall, but I haven't found any other Nick Toon pieces on the FF interwebs.

http://rotoviz.com/index.php/2013/07/is-nick-toon-the-heir-to-marques-colstons-wr1-throne/

http://rotoviz.com/index.php/2013/05/2nd-year-sleeper-nick-toon-saints/
Thanks, just picked him up

For any NOLA homers: why is Stills running above him right now? I thought tha Toon would have the leg up due to a year in the system.

Stills fits the down field target type they have used historically. Think Henderson and Meachem.
Yeah. I think Toon is the better overall player. He is fast as well. I think he becomes immediately startable should Colston miss time. He will likely be a 1-3 catch per game guy otherwise. I think he is a definite hold. Stills will probably cover for Morgan.

ROYALWITCHEESE said:
saintfool said:
Stills fits the down field target type they have used historically. Think Henderson and Meachem.
Yeah. I think Toon is the better overall player. He is fast as well. I think he becomes immediately startable should Colston miss time. He will likely be a 1-3 catch per game guy otherwise. I think he is a definite hold. Stills will probably cover for Morgan.
Toon doesn't have the speed that Stills has (4.5 vs 4.3). Toon is a hold in dynasty for sure because Colston is an older player.

ROYALWITCHEESE said:
saintfool said:
Toon doesn't have the speed that Stills has (4.5 vs 4.3). Toon is a hold in dynasty for sure because Colston is an older player.
Holy crap! Stills is so fast. Toon is so slow. I'd trade Toon based on this fact alone.

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Mike Triplett believes the Saints are still high on Nick Toon’s potential.
Toon looked overmatched when filling in for Lance Moore last year and was active for just eight games. He should open training camp as the No. 4 wideout depending on what the Saints do in the draft. If Toon can put together a strong preseason, Joe Morgan and Robert Meachem will be competing for one roster spot.

Source: ESPN.com

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Mike Triplett believes the Saints are still high on Nick Toon’s potential.
Toon looked overmatched when filling in for Lance Moore last year and was active for just eight games. He should open training camp as the No. 4 wideout depending on what the Saints do in the draft. If Toon can put together a strong preseason, Joe Morgan and Robert Meachem will be competing for one roster spot.

Not after they draft Marqise Lee.

Rotoworld:

Nick Toon - WR - Saints

ESPN Saints reporter Mike Triplett believes WR Nick Toon has a chance at "significant" playing time this season.

Triplett admits Toon could be cut if he struggles in the preseason, but he sees a "much better chance" Toon cracks New Orleans' top-four wide receivers and earns a fair amount of playing time. Toon only saw 12 targets in 205 snaps last season, and was primarily used as a blocker. He can be safely ignored in fantasy leagues.

May 24 - 1:52 PM

Rotoworld:

Nick Toon - WR - Saints

ESPN Saints reporter Mike Triplett believes WR Nick Toon has a chance at "significant" playing time this season.

Triplett admits Toon could be cut if he struggles in the preseason, but he sees a "much better chance" Toon cracks New Orleans' top-four wide receivers and earns a fair amount of playing time. Toon only saw 12 targets in 205 snaps last season, and was primarily used as a blocker. He can be safely ignored in fantasy leagues.

May 24 - 1:52 PM
This was actually just as much about Brandon Coleman:

if/when Brandon Coleman makes the team which tenured receiver will be the odd man out. Im thinking Toon.

I’ve written this a couple of times, but don’t give up on Nick Toon yet. He’s actually similar to Corey White in that sense. Yes, we’ve seen Toon’s growing pains in the regular season (mostly in one bad game at the New York Jets). But he’s now had two full years to learn and develop, which gives him a huge advantage over a prospect like Brandon Coleman.

If Toon struggles this preseason and can’t secure a top-four spot in the rotation, then yeah, he might lose out to a younger player like Coleman for that fifth or sixth “redshirt” spot. But Toon has a much better chance of cracking the top four and actually seeing some significant playing time this year.
The way I see this:

WR1: Colston/Toon/Coleman

WR2: Stills/Meachem/Toon/Coleman

WR3: Cooks/Morgan

It's not as simple as all that of course but Colston's role is and has always been extremely important to what makes the Saints' offense click. Toon and Coleman could fit that physical type, but I think Coleman, if he shows up and shows well, could be that guy more than Toon.

If Coleman does make it, Meachem could fall back onto the bubble. Either way if someone gets pushed out the door then I think it will be Coleman who will be doing the pushing.

Rotoworld:

The Times-Picayune's Katherine Terrell believes WR Nick Toon as the "edge" in the battle for the Saints' fourth receiver job.

Terrell is the second Saints' reporter to single out Toon in the last month. ESPN's Mike Triplett recently said Toon could see "significant" playing time this season. Marques Colston, Kenny Stills, and rookie Brandin Cooks are locked in as the top-three, but Toon appears to be in the drivers seat for the No. 4 wide receiver duties in New Orleans this season.

Jun 12 - 10:04 PM

I think Toon's value is very much dependent upon whether or not the team is grooming him to eventually take over Colston's role in this offense... If they are then he is worth an add in dynasty to see what he does in 2015 & beyond... If they aren't then he is probably best to be left on the wire as his 2014 value is probably similar to either Blackmon or Gordon or Aaron Hernandez

Nick Toon - WR - Saints
The Times-Picayune has named Nick Toon one of the most impressive players at Saints camp so far.
Toon has "consistently come up with catches on nearly every pass pattern." It sounds like rapid improvement from last season, when he played on just 205 snaps and was active for just eight games, looking overmatched when asked to fill in for Lance Moore.

Jul 31 - 11:10 AM

Users who are viewing this thread