What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

ZWK's Dynasty Rankings (WR updated April 2021) (7 Viewers)

The witten comparison was popular when Henry was drafted but then he averaged over 13 yards a catch and caught 8 touchdowns as a rookie. As prolific as witten has been,  he's never averaged 12 yards a catch and has only two seasons with 8 touchdowns - one with 8 and one with 9.  I don't think upside is an issue for Henry. 

I basically agree with EBF on shape of the Henry vs. Engram/Njoku debate, I just come down in favor of the riskier higher ceiling guys.
does this change depending on the league?   in 12 team leagues with smaller starting lineups, for example QRRWWWT, I'll favor upside.  In larger leagues with more starters, for example QRWWWTFF I'll put more emphasis on safer players.  Sure you need some upside still, but if all 7 non QB starters are very good players, you'll generally win more often than a few studs and more busts.  At least that's my experience in larger leagues. 

Jack Doyle has Andrew Luck. Coby Fleener has Drew Brees, and his mediocre 2016 doesn't necessarily doom him - he has had another year to get familiar with the NO playbook and develop rapport with Brees.
Not to focus too much on borderline rosterable players, but I would rank Swoope higher for similar reasons. Project ATH TE who will see the field a lot given Indy's offense, and the fact that it's Indy would make him valuable if he can carve out a role. I would rather roster Swoope than most players outside of the top 25. His VOA last year was insanely high, but I don't put too much faith in that because it was inflated by a few deep throws that connected. I don't have confidence in him really (boom/bust) but on paper it seems like he should be worth more.

bostonfred said:
The witten comparison was popular when Henry was drafted but then he averaged over 13 yards a catch and caught 8 touchdowns as a rookie. As prolific as witten has been,  he's never averaged 12 yards a catch and has only two seasons with 8 touchdowns - one with 8 and one with 9.  I don't think upside is an issue for Henry. 
No Witten has never averaged 12 yards a catch and scoring has been minimum but he's never been asked to do so. He's always been surrounded by some of the top athletes in the NFL who were asked to perform. Witten has always performed at an elite level when called to do so during a game. He was never asked to do so year end and year out not because he's incapable but because his teammates were. Besides it's way to early to assume that Henry will continue to perform the way he did his rookie year. Honestly I love his game but let's see him do it when opponents are focused on him now that he's made his presence known and when Gates is gone.

Tex

-OZ- said:
does this change depending on the league?   in 12 team leagues with smaller starting lineups, for example QRRWWWT, I'll favor upside.  In larger leagues with more starters, for example QRWWWTFF I'll put more emphasis on safer players.  Sure you need some upside still, but if all 7 non QB starters are very good players, you'll generally win more often than a few studs and more busts.  At least that's my experience in larger leagues. 
If a league is TE premium (1.5 PPR for TE and 1.0 or less for other positions) and it has a flex spot then that does increase the value of solid TEs. I have Hunter Henry ahead of the rookies in that format, and possibly also ahead of Eifert (who is older, more injury-prone, and heavy on TDs relative to receptions). (I am actually in a league like this, and own Henry there.)

If you just add flexes without giving any bonus to TEs, then that mostly just lowers the baseline for RBs and WRs. That increases the value of all RBs and WRs, including solid non-elite ones. It devalues QBs and (to a lesser extent) TEs relative to RBs & WRs, and doesn't have much effect on the within-position rankings at QB or TE.

Larger starting lineups do increase the importance of depth relative to studs, but studs are still pretty important for winning championships. I generally take the approach of: try to find studs to build around, and seek out cheap depth in the offseason.

thriftyrocker said:
Not to focus too much on borderline rosterable players, but I would rank Swoope higher for similar reasons. Project ATH TE who will see the field a lot given Indy's offense, and the fact that it's Indy would make him valuable if he can carve out a role. I would rather roster Swoope than most players outside of the top 25. His VOA last year was insanely high, but I don't put too much faith in that because it was inflated by a few deep throws that connected. I don't have confidence in him really (boom/bust) but on paper it seems like he should be worth more.
Good call. He should probably be up near Hodges, Butt, and DeValve.

I feel that people tend to overrate Henry a bit, simply because he was the consensus "best prospect" in a fairly weak TE class. He also had some decent production in a few games in his rookie year. The combination of those two things I think makes people view his upside as higher than it actually is. I see him as a solid top 6-12 guy but not in the "elite" range.

In Henry's favor, he did have nice efficiency stats including 1.88 yards per route run (4th best among TEs, min 200 routes run), 9.02 yards per target (6th best among TEs, min 30 targets), and a 33.9% DVOA (4th best among TEs, min 25 targets). I don't think he's a low-upside player, just lower upside than the 3 rookies.

6    26    Vance McDonald    SF    27.2    (16)
6    27    Ladarius Green        27.3    (10)
7    28    Julius Thomas    MIA    29.2    (25)
7    29    Zach Miller    CHI    32.9    (23)
7    30    Dennis Pitta    BAL    32.2    (24)
7    31    Jared Cook    OAK    30.4    (32)
7    32    Gary Barnidge        31.9    (22)
7    33    Maxx Williams    BAL    23.4    (20)
7    34    Austin Seferian-Jenkins    NYJ    24.9    (26)
7    35    Charles Clay    BUF    28.5    (31)
7    36    Clive Walford    OAK    25.9    (21)
7    37    Jesse James    PIT    23.2    (36)
7    38    Antonio Gates    LAC    37.2    (35)
7    39    Jason Witten    DAL    35.3    (37)
8    40    Bucky Hodges    MIN    22.1    rook
8    41    Jake Butt    DEN    22.1    rook
8    42    Seth DeValve    CLE    24.6    (29)
8    43    Jeff Heuerman    DEN    24.8    (34)
8    44    George Kittle    SF    23.9    rook
8    45    Eric Saubert    ATL    23.3    rook
8    46    Michael Roberts    DET    23.3    rook
8    47    Vernon Davis    WAS    33.6    (30)
8    48    Jordan Leggett    NYJ    22.6    rook
8    49    A.J. Derby    DEN    25.9    unr
8    50    Jace Amaro    TEN    25.2    (33)
8    51    Lance Kendricks    GB    29.6    unr
8    52    Richard Rodgers    GB    25.6    (38)
8    53    Darren Waller    BAL    25.0    (49)
8    54    Crockett Gilmore    BAL    25.8    (58)
8    55    Stephen Anderson    HOU    24.6    (53)
9    56    Jermaine Gresham    ARI    29.2    (41)
9    57    Jerell Adams    NYG    24.7    (43)
9    58    Erik Swoope    IND    25.3    (44)
9    59    Troy Niklas    ARI    25.0    (45)
9    60    Nick Vannett    SEA    24.5    (46)
9    61    Jacob Tamme        33.5    (47)
9    62    Virgil Green    DEN    29.1    (57)

There are some interesting rankings here. I'd be curious to know why Maxx and ASJ are so high - I can only assume it's residual draft pedigree because they have done exactly nothing since coming into the league. Williams in particular to me wasn't even a top level prospect, though it was a weak TE class so perception of him is elevated. I'd rather own a guy like Swoope than either of those two.

Others that jump out to me are Richard Rogers and Amaro - I know they are way down, but there doesn't seem to be any real path to production for them in either the short or long term. Miller, Pitta, Cook and Barnidge (who doesn't even have a team at the moment) all likely have their best production in the rear view mirror, so also seem a bit high based on remaining upside and even current production. Ladarius's career must be in real doubt. Are they really better assets in any sense than some of the guys furthre down the list? I realise nitpicking here at this end of the ranking is a bit silly, but it's interesting to know what other people think.

The last notable one for me is AJ Derby - I can't think of any reason except residual draft capital (which probably doesn't matter much at this point) for him to be below Heuermann, or even Jake Butt at this point, given that he's recovering from injury. He's likely the starter in week 1, and I would say has more receiving upside than many of the guys ahead of him on the list. Leggett, Saubert and Kittle especially stand out as guys ahead of him who are really just fliers and have I would say limited avenues at this point to any kind of production that would make them dynasty assets.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed, I've tried to pry Henry away from his current owner and he's no budging one bit. I'd take Henry over any TE in this draft. I regret passing on Henry in the 2nd round last year but I kept to my board.

Give me Henry all day on this.

Tex
I got Henry in 4 of 7 rookie drafts last year. It was less because I thought he was a great prospect and more because the rest of the class was trash, I thought he would be solid, and he had a relatively low ADP. Here is my writeup of him from a year ago:

12. TE Hunter Henry, Chargers - Henry isn't quite the athlete that recent TE prospects like Tyler Eifert and Eric Ebron were, and that's likely why he slid out of the first round of the NFL draft. He doesn't quite have the same explosiveness or precision of movement. On the other hand, he's still very mobile for his size and offers strong receiving skills to go along with his other attributes. While I don't see him dominating in the NFL, he strikes me as the type of guy who can yield years of solid mid-low level TE1 production. I think his floor is Kyle Rudolph while his ceiling is Jason Witten. Owners looking to hit a solid single or double instead of swinging for the fences on a mediocre RB/WR here should look towards Henry for a safe selection.
I was leaning more towards the Kyle Rudolph end of that spectrum going into last year, but after seeing him in an NFL uniform I'm leaning more towards the Witten end. I like his rookie highlights and think he looked a bit more athletic/explosive than I expected.

You mentioned trying to pry him away from his owner. Well, you're not alone. Of the players I own in multiple leagues, he has definitely been one of the hotter properties this offseason. I think a lot of people see him as a good investment and are trying to grab him while he's still somewhat of an unknown. I have no interest in trading him at his current market value. I think he's a player that you'll want to hold/buy right now.

I was leaning more towards the Kyle Rudolph end of that spectrum going into last year, but after seeing him in an NFL uniform I'm leaning more towards the Witten end. I like his rookie highlights and think he looked a bit more athletic/explosive than I expected.

You mentioned trying to pry him away from his owner. Well, you're not alone. Of the players I own in multiple leagues, he has definitely been one of the hotter properties this offseason. I think a lot of people see him as a good investment and are trying to grab him while he's still somewhat of an unknown. I have no interest in trading him at his current market value. I think he's a player that you'll want to hold/buy right now.
On the down side, I don't see many plays in that highlight video where Henry is beating man coverage. There are a lot of defensive breakdowns, and plays where SD schemes to get him open with a rub or a fake WR screen, and plays where he found a soft spot in the zone. I count 5 plays where he beat a man one-on-one (at 0:32, 1:15, 2:10, 3:43, and 3:50 - the one at 2:10 is my favorite), and all 5 were against a LB. Contrast that with, say, Travis Kelce, who made a lot more plays against man coverage including against DBs.

There are some interesting rankings here. I'd be curious to know why Maxx and ASJ are so high - I can only assume it's residual draft pedigree because they have done exactly nothing since coming into the league. Williams in particular to me wasn't even a top level prospect, though it was a weak TE class so perception of him is elevated. I'd rather own a guy like Swoope than either of those two.

Others that jump out to me are Richard Rogers and Amaro - I know they are way down, but there doesn't seem to be any real path to production for them in either the short or long term. Miller, Pitta, Cook and Barnidge (who doesn't even have a team at the moment) all likely have their best production in the rear view mirror, so also seem a bit high based on remaining upside and even current production. Ladarius's career must be in real doubt. Are they really better assets in any sense than some of the guys furthre down the list? I realise nitpicking here at this end of the ranking is a bit silly, but it's interesting to know what other people think.

The last notable one for me is AJ Derby - I can't think of any reason except residual draft capital (which probably doesn't matter much at this point) for him to be below Heuermann, or even Jake Butt at this point, given that he's recovering from injury. He's likely the starter in week 1, and I would say has more receiving upside than many of the guys ahead of him on the list. Leggett, Saubert and Kittle especially stand out as guys ahead of him who are really just fliers and have I would say limited avenues at this point to any kind of production that would make them dynasty assets.
You're probably right that Derby should be higher, as the favorite to be Denver's top receiving TE. I don't see much in particular to like about him, but sometimes guys like Barnidge and Brate emerge. And looking it up, I see that Denver have a new OC in Mike McCoy who is apparently TE-friendly so there's a decent chance that some Denver TE will have fantasy value.

I do pay attention to draft pedigree / what I thought of a TE when he entered the league, even among TEs who have been in the NFL for a few years. TEs often take a few years to develop, and early rounders are more likely to emerge (like 2013 2nd rounder Vance McDonald and 2014 3rd rounder CJ Fiedorowicz, who needed some time before they did much as receivers). ASJ is an early 2nd rounder from 2014 who has a good shot to be the Jets' top receiving TE - he is still a year younger than Derby. Maxx Williams is a late 2nd rounder from 2015 who has missed time with injuries, on a team where the top TE spot looks like it'll be open to competition. They seem to have a better shot than the tier 8 guys of emerging as good TEs, and they also have an opportunity to emerge this year (which is good because of the urgency consideration - you want to be able to churn the bottom of your roster rather than keep a roster spot filled as you wait on a guy).

The vets in tier 7 are all guys who have a good shot to be fantasy TE2s this year, or potentially low-end starters. Zach Miller in fact was a low-end fantasy starter last year, ranking 10th in ppg (min 8 games). If I only had 1 startable TE on my roster then I would be looking at these guys as possible backups to add for cheap, and if I had a hole in my roster at TE I might even consider collecting a few of them to find a cheap stopgap starter. Barnidge has the smallest chances of being top-24 fantasy TEs this year, out of that group, but we should learn a lot about his chances by the start of the season (depending on where he signs and what the team says about his role). If things look bad it'll be easy to cut him, and if the things break in his favor then he has higher upside than most of the other vets in that tier. Ladarius Green is sort of similar to Barnidge, with more risk and more upside. He also might prove cuttable by opening day.

Heuerman, Leggett, Saubert, and Kittle all also have the urgency factor working in their favor. There isn't a clear established starter in DEN, NYJ, ATL, or SF. They're all young mid-round guys with a chance to seize a larger role, which makes them good options for churning since they're easy to cut if they don't.

I took a look at the FBG and DLF rankings for each position, to see where I differed the most from them. Here are the 30 guys who I am most optimistic about, compared to FBG & DLF (starting with the one where the gap is the biggest):

MyRk    Player    Team
QB10    Mitchell Trubisky    CHI
RB52    Karlos Williams    FA
QB11    Patrick Mahomes    KC
TE11    Gerald Everett    RAM
TE19    Jonnu Smith    TEN
WR30    Will Fuller    HOU
WR48    Taywan Taylor    TEN
TE5    Evan Engram    NYG
WR47    Carlos Henderson    DEN
TE15    Adam Shaheen    CHI
WR29    Martavis Bryant    PIT
RB30    Mike Gillislee    NE
QB36    Robert Griffin III    FA
TE43    Jeff Heuerman    DEN
RB15    Alvin Kamara    NO
WR21    John Ross    CIN
WR55    Josh Gordon    CLE
RB49    James Conner    PIT
WR56    Phillip Dorsett    IND
RB23    Kareem Hunt    KC
WR74    Kenny Golladay    DET
WR25    Josh Doctson    WAS
RB9    Joe Mixon    CIN
TE7    David Njoku    CLE
RB46    Terrance West    BAL
RB1    David Johnson    ARI
RB4    Leonard Fournette    JAX
RB73    Tarik Cohen    CHI
TE42    Seth DeValve    CLE
QB26    Teddy Bridgewater    MIN

A few trends jump out at me. First, I'm unusually high on high-pedigree prospects - guys who were drafted in rd 1 or 2 who are rookies or who haven't done much yet in the NFL. Trubisky, Mahomes, Everett, Fuller, Engram, Shaheen, Ross, Dorsett, Doctson, Mixon, Njoku, and Fournette all fit the bill. The rest of this year's first & second rounders didn't make the top 30 cut, but I am also apparently more positive than average on Mike Williams (!), Christian McCaffrey, Deshaun Watson, O.J. Howard, Zay Jones (!!), Curtis Samuel, Dalvin Cook, and DeShone Kizer. For example, I currently have Mike Williams at WR19, and only 4 of the 16 experts at FBG+DLF have him ranked in the top 19 WRs. That leaves only 2 exceptions out of the 19 skill position players drafted in the first 2 rounds this year, Corey Davis and JuJu Smith-Schuster (and for both of them I am right in line with the other experts, in between the FBG rank and the DLF rank).

Second, there are a lot of rookies on this list even if you look past the early rounds: Jonnu Smith, Taywan Taylor, Carlos Henderson, Alvin Kamara, James Conner, Kareem Hunt, Kenny Golladay, and Tarik Cohen. Apparently I'm pretty far in the pro-rookie direction, compared to other folks who make dynasty rankings at FBG or DLF.

Third trend: there are several players here who have big question marks due to off-the-field issues / suspensions / injuries / not being on an NFL team currently: Karlos Williams, Martavis Bryant, RG3, Josh Gordon, Teddy Bridgewater. Maybe count Mixon here too? I guess I'm more willing to accept risk to bet on upside.

And those 3 categories cover 25 out of the 30 players on this list. Of the remaining 4, Jeff Heuerman and Seth DeValve are young mid-round prospects who roughly fit the pattern, although they didn't quite qualify in either of the first 2 groups. Mike Gillislee (like Karlos Williams) put up great efficiency numbers on a small sample size, and I guess I like his opportunity in New England more than most people do. I see Terrance West as the favorite for the Ravens' starting job, but I guess Dixon is the more popular choice among experts. David Johnson probably shouldn't be on this list, as most people see a top tier of 3 RBs which includes him, but the formula that I used to generate this list sees the gap between RB1 and RB3 as important enough for him to make the cut.

Now, the 30 players that I am most pessimistic on, relative to FBG & DLF (again, starting with the one where the gap is biggest):

MyRk    Player    Team
QB46    Joe Flacco    BAL
QB22    Matthew Stafford    DET
QB9    Cam Newton    CAR
TE12    Greg Olsen    CAR
QB28    Philip Rivers    LAC
WR58    Willie Snead    NO
WR27    Jarvis Landry    MIA
RB76    Danny Woodhead    BAL
TE41    Jake Butt    DEN
WR52    Golden Tate    DET
WR69    DeSean Jackson    TB
WR105    Robert Woods    RAM
WR57    Jamison Crowder    WAS
TE13    Jimmy Graham    SEA
WR48    Emmanuel Sanders    DEN
QB30    Eli Manning    NYG
WR112    Mohamed Sanu    ATL
RB37    Kenneth Dixon    BAL
WR28    Demaryius Thomas    DEN
TE39    Jason Witten    DAL
WR31    Donte Moncrief    IND
RB102    Dwayne Washington    DET
WR102    Tavon Austin    RAM
WR6    Antonio Brown    PIT
RB66    Charles Sims    TB
TE37    Jesse James    PIT
WR96    J.J. Nelson    ARI
RB51    Adrian Peterson    NO
RB26    Mark Ingram    NO
RB96    Charcandrick West    KC

This group looks to be more based on evaluations of individual players than on broad trends in what types of players I like. Many of them have come up in this thread this offseason.

A lot of these are guys who I think of as low-upside veterans. Some of the low-upside vets are good players who are nearing their career (like Rivers, Tate, DJax, Sanders, and Manning); I expect non-elite production for not many years, which doesn't add up to all that much fantasy value in my opinion. Olsen and Demaryius Thomas are higher-scoring but versions of a similar type of veteran. Some of the low-upside vets are useful NFL players who I expect to remain below baseline and thus have minimal value for fantasy (like Flacco, Sanu, and Witten).

Others are young prospects, without great draft pedigree, who I think that other people are elevating prematurely (like Crowder, Dixon, Moncrief, and James). Jake Butt is a rookie who roughly fits the same category.

Cam Newton is someone who I am unusually down on compared to his track record over the past few years. The reason in a picture is here, with explanation here and here.

Dwayne Washington & C West aren't starter-caliber RBs, in my eyes - injuries temporarily gave them an opportunity for a larger workload, they didn't do much with that opportunity, and now they should fade back into obscurity as third stringers or worse.

Some of these guys give me pause, because it doesn't feel like I'm unusually down on them. It might be worth taking another look at Willie Snead, Danny Woodhead, Jimmy Graham, Charles Sims, J.J. Nelson, and Adrian Peterson. (Though with Graham, I think the difference is more that I'm unusually high on many of the young TEs that I put ahead of him, rather than that I'm unusually low on Graham.) It also feels like I might be making a mistake with Robert Woods, who probably has more upside than I'm giving him credit for with that WR105 rank.

Some of these guys give me pause, because it doesn't feel like I'm unusually down on them. It might be worth taking another look at Willie Snead, Danny Woodhead, Jimmy Graham, Charles Sims, J.J. Nelson, and Adrian Peterson
Definitely agree on Woodhead, who could have a top 20 fantasy season this year. Interested to see what another look does for these players in your rankings.

IMO Karlos Williams was never very good in the first place and if you add the immense off-field issues, he's a guy you can safely forget about.

I like Njoku and Mixon. Mahomes is a guy that I end up drafting in almost every league due to a combination of his high draft slot and low rookie ADP.

I think Phillip Dorsett is an interesting case. I grabbed him in a lot of leagues when he was a rookie. My feeling last year was that he failed to capitalize on his opportunity, but...his stats improved in every category and his yards per target was actually good. It's just that he didn't get a lot of looks. He looked okay in his highlights and I still think there's a chance that he can become something useful in FF.

I think Jimmy Graham and Demaryius Thomas are/were elite talents, so I'd be a little more reluctant to write them off since they're not really at the age where they should fall off yet.

Jason Witten may be a bit less valuable in .5 PPR but he was TE 9 in PPR scoring last season (including playoff games). He was TE 14 in standard, so that is below the starter baseline in most leagues in that format.

He just turned 35 years old so fair to question how much longer he can perform at this level. However he played with a rookie QB last season, I think there are reasons to expect Wittens opportunities might be more effective with Prescott now having a year of experience.

Witten has been a starting TE for fantasy for a long time and he was still a viable option last season as well.

I would take Witten over any of the other tier 7 TE on your list and also over several of the tier 6 TE which is where I guess I think Witten should be.

Jason Witten may be a bit less valuable in .5 PPR but he was TE 9 in PPR scoring last season (including playoff games). He was TE 14 in standard, so that is below the starter baseline in most leagues in that format.

He just turned 35 years old so fair to question how much longer he can perform at this level. However he played with a rookie QB last season, I think there are reasons to expect Wittens opportunities might be more effective with Prescott now having a year of experience.

Witten has been a starting TE for fantasy for a long time and he was still a viable option last season as well.

I would take Witten over any of the other tier 7 TE on your list and also over several of the tier 6 TE which is where I guess I think Witten should be.
Funny, I agree with all that but there's no way I'd take him over butt.

Definitely agree on Woodhead, who could have a top 20 fantasy season this year. Interested to see what another look does for these players in your rankings.
For RBs over 30, I should probably be going mostly off of redraft rankings. Here is how FFCalculator has them ranked (averaging together their 1 ppr and 0 ppr ADP, since I'm doing 0.5 ppr):

Redraft ADP
RB16    Marshawn Lynch
RB21    Adrian Peterson
RB31    LeGarrette Blount
RB33    Frank Gore
RB36    Danny Woodhead
RB39    Jamaal Charles
RB40    Matt Forte
RB42    Jonathan Stewart
RB52    Darren Sproles

And here is how I have them ranked.

My Dynasty Ranking
RB44    Marshawn Lynch
RB45    Jamaal Charles
RB51    Adrian Peterson
RB56    Matt Forte
RB59    Frank Gore
RB63    Jonathan Stewart
RB66    LeGarrette Blount
RB75    Darren Sproles
RB76    Danny Woodhead

I guess I should have Woodhead up near Forte & Gore, and maybe move Blount up there too (though I'm more skeptical of Blount). From this comparison it looks like I have Charles too high, but I think it's correct to have Charles higher in dynasty than in redraft (relative to this group) because there's more uncertainty about how good he is and if he's still got it then he could have a longer window than most of the other guys.

If we look at ppg (min 8 games), and include Witten's 2016 playoff game, then in 2016 I have Witten as TE16 in 1 ppr, TE16 in 0.5 ppr, and TE19 in 0 ppr. In 2015 he was TE13 in 1 ppr, TE16 in 0.5 ppr, and TE17 in 0 ppr. In 2014 he was TE10 in 1 ppr, TE10 in 0.5 ppr, and TE11 in 0 ppr. Gates finished ahead of him in all 3 years and all 3 formats. Zach Miller's 2016 season was better than any of Witten's last 3 seasons.

Why?

What makes Butt special?
I don't know if "special" is the right word here but I had him ranked about equal to Austin Hooper after the 2015 season. Had he entered the draft then he probably would have been taken in the top 3 rounds.  He probably would have gone around the same this year if not for his injury.  The injury is cause to bump him down some but the guy is arguably the 2nd most/best complete TE from this year's draft (to Howard) - which granted doesn't always equal ff value and he shouldn't go where this year's big 5 are drafted (in ff) as he lacks their explosiveness, but he will be on the field and serve a valuable role for the Broncos short range passing game.  When watching him play over the past few years he reminded me of Witten in Tennessee.  He won the Mackey award last year (and the ozzie newsome in 15) because of the same traits he'll bring to the Broncos. 

While he's unlikely to be a top 6 TE in ff, he will be a top 20 type and have a good long career. The risk with him is injury and that's not insignificant. Still I'd have him near hooper and J smith.  

Fwiw I think Julius thomas is a tier or two too low too so maybe I'm not discounting enough for injuries. 

If we look at ppg (min 8 games), and include Witten's 2016 playoff game, then in 2016 I have Witten as TE16 in 1 ppr, TE16 in 0.5 ppr, and TE19 in 0 ppr. In 2015 he was TE13 in 1 ppr, TE16 in 0.5 ppr, and TE17 in 0 ppr. In 2014 he was TE10 in 1 ppr, TE10 in 0.5 ppr, and TE11 in 0 ppr. Gates finished ahead of him in all 3 years and all 3 formats. Zach Miller's 2016 season was better than any of Witten's last 3 seasons.
Witten is one of the few TE who does not regularly miss games, so that calculation will disadvantage him somewhat.

Here is Witten in pretty typical scoring format. TE 9 in total points in 2014. TE 10 in 2015. TE 11 in 2016  this is for weeks 1-17. Witten had one of his best games against Green Bay in the playoffs last year, which I considered worth noting because Dak Prescott was a rookie..

I don't know if "special" is the right word here but I had him ranked about equal to Austin Hooper after the 2015 season. Had he entered the draft then he probably would have been taken in the top 3 rounds.  He probably would have gone around the same this year if not for his injury.  The injury is cause to bump him down some but the guy is arguably the 2nd most/best complete TE from this year's draft (to Howard) - which granted doesn't always equal ff value and he shouldn't go where this year's big 5 are drafted (in ff) as he lacks their explosiveness, but he will be on the field and serve a valuable role for the Broncos short range passing game.  When watching him play over the past few years he reminded me of Witten in Tennessee.  He won the Mackey award last year (and the ozzie newsome in 15) because of the same traits he'll bring to the Broncos. 

While he's unlikely to be a top 6 TE in ff, he will be a top 20 type and have a good long career. The risk with him is injury and that's not insignificant. Still I'd have him near hooper and J smith.  

Fwiw I think Julius thomas is a tier or two too low too so maybe I'm not discounting enough for injuries. 
He seems like a solid all around prospect (like Witten) but the outlook is longer and the upside more limited imo.

I guess the difference is our evaluation of the player. Maybe I am missing something. 

I think Jimmy Graham and Demaryius Thomas are/were elite talents, so I'd be a little more reluctant to write them off since they're not really at the age where they should fall off yet.
With Graham & D Thomas, I wouldn't say that I'm writing them off. It's more that they're old enough (Thomas turning 30 this year, Graham turning 31) so that I can look at what they did last year and what they seem likely to do this year, and guess that most likely all they have left is another 2-3 years of something like that. Hence WR28 and TE13.

I think that Julius Thomas was never that good of a TE - he was mostly just a product of Peyton Manning (much like Jacob Tamme, who had 67/631/4 in 10 games in 2010 after Dallas Clark went down). Thomas had 1 big year with Manning, 1 year with Manning where he scored a lot of touchdowns but was otherwise mediocre, and a couple mediocre years in Jacksonville. He is still at the top of tier 7 because maybe I'm wrong.

Witten is one of the few TE who does not regularly miss games, so that calculation will disadvantage him somewhat.

Here is Witten in pretty typical scoring format. TE 9 in total points in 2014. TE 10 in 2015. TE 11 in 2016  this is for weeks 1-17. Witten had one of his best games against Green Bay in the playoffs last year, which I considered worth noting because Dak Prescott was a rookie..
ppg is more relevant than season-long totals because I'm not going to take 0's when Eric Ebron misses 3 games, instead I'll start (say) Charles Clay for 3 weeks. And 13 weeks of Ebron plus 3 of Clay is better than 16 of Witten, even though Witten finished ahead of either of them in the season-long totals.

Normally I like to look at VBD by taking a player's fantasy points per game, subtracting the baseline level of points per game, and then multiplying that by the number of games he played. (This is equivalent to taking a player's total fantasy points and then adding baseline-level production for the games that he missed). But that doesn't work for below-baseline players because they'll all just get 0 VBD.

I guess the nice thing about Witten's reliability is that, if you take him as your TE2, then you don't have to worry too much about him being out when your TE1 has a bye week or if your TE1 misses some time with injuries (unlike if, say, Zach Miller is your TE2). So if roster spots were really scarce and you wanted to roll with only 2 TEs all year (or perhaps 2 plus a prospect like Jonnu Smith) then I can see a case for taking Witten ahead of pretty much everyone else in tier 7. But if I'm looking for my starter, I'd rather go after a couple players who have a better chance to crack the top 10 in ppg.

It also feels like I might be making a mistake with Robert Woods, who probably has more upside than I'm giving him credit for with that WR105 rank.
I was never high on Robert Woods, and he went to one of the worst passing attacks in the NFL, but here are two players after 4 years 

161 rec 2022 yards 11 touchdowns 279 targets

203 rec 2451 yards 12 touchdowns 345 targets 

Their best seasons were

67 rec 732 yards 6 touchdowns 112 targets

65 etc 699 yards 5 touchdowns 104 targets

Nearly identical yards per target, catches per target,  etc. Both played with a strong wr1 and both moved to new teams on their second contract.  The first one is Emmanuel Sanders,  the second is Robert woods.  Very different players,  and they went to very different situations,  but in Sanders case he played with a hall of fame qb and didn't look great,  played with manning and looked all world,  then played with Brock and simian and put up 75/1100/5 numbers in back to back years. Not really stud wr numbers but still really good considering where he came from.

Now Sanders and woods are far from identical players.  And they went to totally different situations.  

But is it that hard to believe that woods, who just got a big contact, who was drafted in the second vs Sanders in the 3rd,  who is the only guy with any NFL experience catching the ball for the rams, and plays with a qb selected 1.1 in last year's draft, for a team that went from super conservative Jeff Fisher to an offensive coach from a much better passing offense... could put up 1100/5? If he gets 140-150 targets at his previous per target/ per catch production he would hit those numbers pretty easily.  

I definitely think wr105 is low for him.  He's probably closer to wr75 right now. But his ceiling seems low enough I can see why you'd move him down  especially in your swing for the fences style rankings.  I think his upside is a fantasy wr2 season, maybe 2 or 3 if he's lucky, but the more immediate upside is that he puts up a couple good games early against teams like Washington, Dallas, the 49ers and jaguars, and you can spot start him in a wr3bc slot if you really need help, then try to flip him for something useful. 

I was never high on Robert Woods, and he went to one of the worst passing attacks in the NFL, but here are two players after 4 years 

161 rec 2022 yards 11 touchdowns 279 targets

203 rec 2451 yards 12 touchdowns 345 targets 

Their best seasons were

67 rec 732 yards 6 touchdowns 112 targets

65 etc 699 yards 5 touchdowns 104 targets

Nearly identical yards per target, catches per target,  etc. Both played with a strong wr1 and both moved to new teams on their second contract.  The first one is Emmanuel Sanders,  the second is Robert woods.  Very different players,  and they went to very different situations,  but in Sanders case he played with a hall of fame qb and didn't look great,  played with manning and looked all world,  then played with Brock and simian and put up 75/1100/5 numbers in back to back years. Not really stud wr numbers but still really good considering where he came from.

Now Sanders and woods are far from identical players.  And they went to totally different situations.  

But is it that hard to believe that woods, who just got a big contact, who was drafted in the second vs Sanders in the 3rd,  who is the only guy with any NFL experience catching the ball for the rams, and plays with a qb selected 1.1 in last year's draft, for a team that went from super conservative Jeff Fisher to an offensive coach from a much better passing offense... could put up 1100/5? If he gets 140-150 targets at his previous per target/ per catch production he would hit those numbers pretty easily.  

I definitely think wr105 is low for him.  He's probably closer to wr75 right now. But his ceiling seems low enough I can see why you'd move him down  especially in your swing for the fences style rankings.  I think his upside is a fantasy wr2 season, maybe 2 or 3 if he's lucky, but the more immediate upside is that he puts up a couple good games early against teams like Washington, Dallas, the 49ers and jaguars, and you can spot start him in a wr3bc slot if you really need help, then try to flip him for something useful. 
Good comparison. A 4-year stretch of production like Sanders 2015-16 is pretty valuable. It's not a home run, but there are probably only about 25 WRs in the NFL who will wind up giving you more value than that.

I liked Sanders more than Woods throughout each player's first 4 seasons (I think - I didn't start keeping rankings until after Sanders's 3rd season), and Sanders's production in Denver has been both better than I expected and better than what I think it was reasonable to expect, so I'm not going to pencil Woods in for that kind of production. But I am moving him up, probably to the WR80-85 range (near guys like Chad Williams, Quincy Enunwa, and Paul Richardson).

Interestingly, I drafted Robert Woods earlier this summer, before this re-analysis, in a best ball dynasty league. League format is hugely important, and with best ball a 25-year-old 600-yard-per-year receiver is a useful player to roster. Best ball is a format that rewards on base percentage and punishes strikeouts.

ppg is more relevant than season-long totals because I'm not going to take 0's when Eric Ebron misses 3 games, instead I'll start (say) Charles Clay for 3 weeks. And 13 weeks of Ebron plus 3 of Clay is better than 16 of Witten, even though Witten finished ahead of either of them in the season-long totals.

Normally I like to look at VBD by taking a player's fantasy points per game, subtracting the baseline level of points per game, and then multiplying that by the number of games he played. (This is equivalent to taking a player's total fantasy points and then adding baseline-level production for the games that he missed). But that doesn't work for below-baseline players because they'll all just get 0 VBD.

I guess the nice thing about Witten's reliability is that, if you take him as your TE2, then you don't have to worry too much about him being out when your TE1 has a bye week or if your TE1 misses some time with injuries (unlike if, say, Zach Miller is your TE2). So if roster spots were really scarce and you wanted to roll with only 2 TEs all year (or perhaps 2 plus a prospect like Jonnu Smith) then I can see a case for taking Witten ahead of pretty much everyone else in tier 7. But if I'm looking for my starter, I'd rather go after a couple players who have a better chance to crack the top 10 in ppg.
I understand doing this for head to head match ups, although you are being generous as far as your ability to know when those players will miss games. It isn't as clear as you make it sound.

This is dynasty however and I think dynasty value should be measured in terms of seasons. Not games. 

I have a different opinion about Wittens utility for a fantasy team than you do. He has consistently been within the top 12 TE for basically his whole career. You describe him as a TE two but realistically he is low TE one. In the case where you have no better TE than Witten available, he can hold that spot down for you and not give up too much of an advantage to the higher scoring TE. He is still over the baseline.

Given the cost? Somewhere around player 200 overall by guestimation of where you have him currently ranked. That is a bargain. 

Because of his age you don't know how many seasons like this he has left (if any) and that is a good reason to have him lower, You have to treat him like a one year rental for the most part. However Antonio Gates and other top TE (Tony Gonzalez) have shown that they can keep performing at a high level into their late 30s. Similar to the QBs. If the TE is good teams will let them play even into their later years. It is still conceivable that Witten will be performing at a similar level in 2019 (age 37)  if he wants to.

Its nothing new. I have been saying that Witten is undervalued for like four years in a row now. Just one of those players whos price does not meet their production.

I'm coming around on Tyreek Hill and Willie Snead. Matt Harmon recently released his Reception Perception data on 50 NFL WRs (behind a paywall, unfortunately), and they were among the best at getting open reliably. They also both ran a relatively balanced route tree, and were successful at getting open on a wide range of routes and regardless of man/zone/press coverage. They did both run a lot of routes out of the slot, typically off the line of scrimmage, but that isn't a huge negative these days. And the fact that their teams let Cooks and Maclin go is a positive both for getting them more opportunities this year, and as a sign of the confidence that their teams have in them.

I am at least going to be moving each of them up a tier from where I've had them ranked.

Dynasty rankings are simply the most impossible thing to do in fantasy football.  Going back to the 1st post these were the rankings 4 years ago for the WR's.  So many of those guys are no longer even in football and were out of football years ago.  Calvin was #1 ranked only played 3 more years.  Harvin long gone. Cobb has crashed and burned since then.  Cruz and Nicks did not last long on their perch.  Andre and White long since retired.  Meanwhile a guy like Fitz who was 30 years old at the time has still remained an elite despite his age.  Jordy has torn up his ACL and is older yet still retained his value.  Last year I seen in some rankings Michael Thomas was not even a top 50 dynasty ranked WR and guys like Hurns, Fitzgerald, D-Jax, Tavon Austin, Wheaton, Torrey Smith, Travis Benjamin and Terrance Williams were ranked ahead of Thomas in this ranking list by a popular site which is why it is impossible to have dynasty rankings.  Things change so fast guys that were after thoughts this time last year are now soaring while others who were ranked very high this time last year are after thoughts.  Also you have the are you trying to win a title or are you rebuilding which would affect what the players mean to you and your team.  A team trying to win now but is a QB away may pay a big price to acquire Tom Brady while a rebuilding team Brady would be near worthless too.

I applaud the efforts here and I always find it interesting to see how different sites rank dynasty players but it is really an impossible task.

1 1 Calvin Johnson DET 27.9
2 2 A.J. Green CIN 25.1
2 3 Julio Jones ATL 24.6
2 4 Demaryius Thomas DEN 25.7 **
2 5 Dez Bryant DAL 24.8
3 6 Percy Harvin SEA 25.3
3 7 Randall Cobb GB 23.1
3 8 Brandon Marshall MIA 29.4 --
3 9 Larry Fitzgerald ARI 30.0
4 10 Victor Cruz NYG 26.8
4 11 Hakeem Nicks NYG 25.6
4 12 Jordy Nelson GB 28.3
4 13 Andre Johnson HOU 32.1
4 14 Roddy White ATL 31.8
4 15 Vincent Jackson TB 30.6
5 16 Tavon Austin STL 22.5
5 17 Dwayne Bowe KC 28.9
5 18 Marques Colston NO 30.2
5 19 Kenny Britt TEN 24.9 **
5 20 Justin Blackmon JAX 23.6

Elliot = tier 1 RB and you could argue #1 overall dyno RB

Not sure you could argue that with him having not even taken a snap yet and three dudes in front of him looking pretty good.

You should check out that Gurley guy that plays for the Rams sometime.

Gurley's great but doesn't catch many passes and plays for a bad offense.  Elliot plays for a great offense and OL and catches tons of passes.

Gurley caught 37 passes in only 10 games as a sophomore at Georgia.  That's more than Elliott ever caught in a season.

...and full disclosure; I refuse to play in a ppr league, as I feel it is completely asinine.

I guess you will never play high stakes leagues then because that is all they are full PPR nothing else.

Gurley had 21 catches in 13 games last year at Saint Louis.  Pretty sure I am going to use that info over what he did at Georgia.

Elliot is going to catch passes in that Dallas offense look how many Murray caught a couple years ago.

By the way I said it could be argued.  That means there can be differing opinions.  No one here is right or wrong just because someone doesn't agree with you doesn't make them wrong.  If you want Gurley or Bell or whoever 1st that's your opinion I was stating mine.  I didn't even say I would take him #1 RB I said it could be argued.  I argued for it now I am done people around here are half insane.

You mean his rookie season where he was coming off a torn ACL, missed 3 games, and didn't have a rookie QB looking to check down to the RB often?

Pretty sure I am going to go out on a limb and bet that he significantly increases his receptions this season.
Well I believe I got this one right.  Elliot is not only the #1 dynasty RB in most startups right now he is going #1 overall in startups in a lot of leagues over the stud WR's.

Lots of people were pushing back against my crazy talk last year but ya got that one right did I.

Well I believe I got this one right.  Elliot is not only the #1 dynasty RB in most startups right now he is going #1 overall in startups in a lot of leagues over the stud WR's.

Lots of people were pushing back against my crazy talk last year but ya got that one right did I.
clap clap clap

Depends where you look I guess, but ADP on MFL shows he's #3 behind DJ and Bell.  Zeke as the #1 is certainly a fine pick.  

Dynasty rankings are simply the most impossible thing to do in fantasy football.  Going back to the 1st post these were the rankings 4 years ago for the WR's.  So many of those guys are no longer even in football and were out of football years ago.  Calvin was #1 ranked only played 3 more years.  Harvin long gone. Cobb has crashed and burned since then.  Cruz and Nicks did not last long on their perch.  Andre and White long since retired.  Meanwhile a guy like Fitz who was 30 years old at the time has still remained an elite despite his age.  Jordy has torn up his ACL and is older yet still retained his value.  Last year I seen in some rankings Michael Thomas was not even a top 50 dynasty ranked WR and guys like Hurns, Fitzgerald, D-Jax, Tavon Austin, Wheaton, Torrey Smith, Travis Benjamin and Terrance Williams were ranked ahead of Thomas in this ranking list by a popular site which is why it is impossible to have dynasty rankings.  Things change so fast guys that were after thoughts this time last year are now soaring while others who were ranked very high this time last year are after thoughts.  Also you have the are you trying to win a title or are you rebuilding which would affect what the players mean to you and your team.  A team trying to win now but is a QB away may pay a big price to acquire Tom Brady while a rebuilding team Brady would be near worthless too.

I applaud the efforts here and I always find it interesting to see how different sites rank dynasty players but it is really an impossible task.

1 1 Calvin Johnson DET 27.9
2 2 A.J. Green CIN 25.1
2 3 Julio Jones ATL 24.6
2 4 Demaryius Thomas DEN 25.7 **
2 5 Dez Bryant DAL 24.8
3 6 Percy Harvin SEA 25.3
3 7 Randall Cobb GB 23.1
3 8 Brandon Marshall MIA 29.4 --
3 9 Larry Fitzgerald ARI 30.0
4 10 Victor Cruz NYG 26.8
4 11 Hakeem Nicks NYG 25.6
4 12 Jordy Nelson GB 28.3
4 13 Andre Johnson HOU 32.1
4 14 Roddy White ATL 31.8
4 15 Vincent Jackson TB 30.6
5 16 Tavon Austin STL 22.5
5 17 Dwayne Bowe KC 28.9
5 18 Marques Colston NO 30.2
5 19 Kenny Britt TEN 24.9 **
5 20 Justin Blackmon JAX 23.6
I was recently looking back through my first set of rankings in this thread (WR, TE, QB, RB) and it definitely is sobering. Both how big the gap is between reality and rankings, and how few players ended up having much fantasy value. I went through and made a list of the players that I underrated the most (which I'll put at the end of this post). I wanted to also make a list of the players that I overrated the most, but that list would've included most of the players in my rankings - there's not much point in making an "overrated" list which includes 9 of the 10 WRs who I had ranked in the 10s.

One thing to keep in mind, though, is that you don't have to outrun the bear, you just have to outrun the other guy. I was grateful to past-me for marking the players that I liked more than the conventional wisdom (with **) and the ones that I liked less (with --). I had stopped doing that because of the effort it took to match up my rankings with other sources, but seeing these rankings got me motivated to look up the info to make this post last week of the players that I am highest & lowest on relative to the FBG/DLF consensus.

Reading the comments & debates is interesting - there's a lot of "I can't believe you have [guy who wound up doing nothing] ahead of [other guy who wound up doing nothing]", "You're too low on [eventual disappointment]", and "I like that you rank [future bust] as high as you do." Roddy White vs. Cordarrelle Patterson" was maybe not quite as important a debate as we thought.

Also, it seems like I had a decent sense of the overall shape of value at WR, TE, and RB. At WR I thought that there was an elite top 5 and then a steep dropoff, with WR5 (Dez Bryant) worth more than twice as much as WR13 (Andre Johnson) - this turned out to be an understatement. At TE I thought that there was an elite top 2 (Gronk & Graham) and then a massive cliff, with TE3 being something like a 7th rounder - this turned out to be basically correct (especially if you had Vernon Davis, J Witten, or J Finley at TE3 - those were the leading candidates in the discussion, although EBF correctly called Eifert as TE3). At RB I thought that there was "a relatively steady dropoff in value from RB1 (tier 1) through RB 37 (tier 6), and then the bottom falls out" (and later noted how weak the RB landscape was, especially if you were looking a couple years into the future) and that was basically correct - RB value was extremely sparse after RB37 and a lot more present before that (although there was less of a drop from RB1 to RB25 than I thought).

30 players who I underrated most in the 2013 offseason:
WR12    Jordy Nelson    
WR32    Antonio Brown    --
WR34    TY Hilton    
WR35    DeSean Jackson    
WR37    Eric Decker    
WR45    Alshon Jeffery    
WR46    Emmanuel Sanders    **
WR48    Steve Smith    
WR66    Keenan Allen    --
WR67    Golden Tate    
WR86    Julian Edelman    **
TE6    Greg Olsen    
TE8    Tyler Eifert    
TE16    Zach Ertz    
TE17    Travis Kelce    
TE24    Jordan Reed    
TE35    Delanie Walker    
QB10    Tom Brady    
QB19    Ben Roethlisberger    
QB28    Carson Palmer    
QB35    Kirk Cousins    
RB10    Matt Forte    
RB14    DeMarco Murray    
RB24    Lamar Miller    
RB25    LeVeon Bell    
RB28    Frank Gore    
RB35    Mark Ingram    
RB50    DeAngelo Williams    
RB58    Latavius Murray    **
RB60    Danny Woodhead   

3 players that I liked more than consensus, and 2 players that I liked less than FBG consensus, showed up on this list.

Looking for possible patterns of where I got things wrong:

- I may have tended to underrate rookies / young prospects - this shows up most strongly at TE
- I may have overrated players who were coming off an injury or a down year (like Harvin & Nicks)
- I didn't expect old QBs to keep going strong so deeply into their 30s
- I should maybe listen more to @msudaisy26, whose comments have often been pretty on point

These possible patterns each depend on only a handful of players, and are based on a relatively unsystematic look at what's happened, so I don't want to read too much into them. Also, it seems like I have already made some adjustments in the directions that these suggest - I am higher on rookies than most rankers are, and I've kept Brees & Brady pretty high in my rankings as they've aged 4 more years (and recently moved them up). I am maybe still a little too high on injured players - I'm moving Sammy Watkins down a bit from where I had him earlier this month.

- I should maybe listen more to @msudaisy26, whose comments have often been pretty on point
I am honored, really. You put a lot of time and effort into your rankings and I just piggy back off them and add a comment here and there. 

The fact you went back and linked some old posts is a great compliment.  :wub:  × 100

I was already having a good day and this made it even better. 

although EBF correctly called Eifert as TE3
Hmmm...yea, and also recommended Escobar and McDonald over Heath Miller. Woops.

Dynasty is definitely very humbling. Things never work out exactly how people imagine and there are major fluctuations every year.
We've all had our share of hits and misses (though you've had more of both than most, since you make more calls on players).

Eifert at TE3 in 2013 is interesting because I think it was the right call for the right reasons - it was probably correct to rank Eifert ahead of guys like Finley, V Davis, Witten, and Rudolph given what we knew at the time, even without the benefit of hindsight. If we took my current approach to rating TEs and transported it back to 2013, it would probably put Eifert at TE3 (as evidenced by my aggressive ranking of this year's rookie TEs). It looks like I've made a systematic update towards the way that you were thinking about TEs at the time, which seems more interesting than just making the right call on one player.

I am honored, really. You put a lot of time and effort into your rankings and I just piggy back off them and add a comment here and there. 

The fact you went back and linked some old posts is a great compliment.  :wub:  × 100

I was already having a good day and this made it even better. 
Just calling it like I see it. ;)

• Smile
Reactions: EBF
I spend a lot of time looking back on my rookie drafts and kicking myself over players I wanted at the time and barely missed.  David Johnson is one guy who I wanted and missed by 1 pick in the 2nd round in 2 different drafts in 2015.  I tend to look back a great deal and focus on the misses a lot more than the hits.  Startup drafts and rookie drafts are 2 things that just take 1 year to look back on and see so many mistakes and misses.  I like to look at rankings and look at plenty every year.  I still have every fantasy index magazine since I started buying them in 1994 it is pretty amazing to look back on their rankings from those years for both dynasty rankings and rookie rankings.  The swings in players sometimes is massive as well guys like Melvin Gordon as a rookie super highly ranked then after last year no so much and now back again.  It's a tough business to be in ranking dynasty players that is for sure.

(as evidenced by my aggressive ranking of this year's rookie TEs). It looks like I've made a systematic update towards the way that you were thinking about TEs at the time, which seems more interesting than just making the right call on one player.
I think you might be overdoing it with the guys like Shaheen and Jonnu. I would include Everett too but don't want to focus on him. Project TEs are pretty low value. There are a couple historic TE drafts in recent memory - Gronk/Graham/Hern and then Eifert/Ertz/Reed - and the only 1st rounder in the pack was Eifert, but I don't think most drafts are like that. I think most project TE see the waiver wire by November in a majority of leagues, even deep ones. Teams will start dropping Shaheen to get back Zach Miller because points. Although probably the main point here is outside of the top 15 (Fantasypros' consensus dynasty top 15), TE is a bunch of junk. Most of the guys you're listing in tier 5 on are easily bypassable and not really indicative of talent. It's likely there's a couple guys who will finish high in PPG this year we're not even thinking about, Xavier Grimble or Niles Paul or Ben Watson just to name a few guys with an outside chance, because TE for the most part is a low talent position where a yeoman with decent hands can land in a good position. Conventional wisdom has been to only value the elite TE, and I don't see that changing, and accordingly would only really value the 3 great rookies.

I think you might be overdoing it with the guys like Shaheen and Jonnu. I would include Everett too but don't want to focus on him. Project TEs are pretty low value. There are a couple historic TE drafts in recent memory - Gronk/Graham/Hern and then Eifert/Ertz/Reed - and the only 1st rounder in the pack was Eifert, but I don't think most drafts are like that. I think most project TE see the waiver wire by November in a majority of leagues, even deep ones. Teams will start dropping Shaheen to get back Zach Miller because points. Although probably the main point here is outside of the top 15 (Fantasypros' consensus dynasty top 15), TE is a bunch of junk. Most of the guys you're listing in tier 5 on are easily bypassable and not really indicative of talent. It's likely there's a couple guys who will finish high in PPG this year we're not even thinking about, Xavier Grimble or Niles Paul or Ben Watson just to name a few guys with an outside chance, because TE for the most part is a low talent position where a yeoman with decent hands can land in a good position. Conventional wisdom has been to only value the elite TE, and I don't see that changing, and accordingly would only really value the 3 great rookies.
Gronk was drafted with pick 42 and became fantasy relevant as a rookie (where "fantasy relevant" means at least a high-end TE2). Graham was drafted with pick 95 and became fantasy relevant in his 2nd season. Pitta was drafted with pick 11 and became fantasy relevant in his 3rd season (he did not have as good a career, but injuries are a significant chunk of the reason for that). Hernandez was drafted with pick 113 and became fantasy relevant as a rookie (though he fell in the draft due to well-justified character concerns). Eifert was drafted with pick 21 and became fantasy relevant in his 3rd season (after spending his 2nd season on IR). Ertz was drafted with pick 35 and became fantasy relevant in his 2nd season. Kelce was drafted with pick 63 and became fantasy relevant in his 2nd season. Reed was drafted with pick 85 and became fantasy relevant as a rookie. Henry was drafted with pick 35 and became fantasy relevant as a rookie. (Though with some of these guys it still remains to be seen how good they will turn out to be.)

Based on recent history, very good fantasy TEs regularly come from the part of the draft that Everett and Shaheen were taken in, and usually show enough in their first 2 years to make it clear that they're worth hanging onto (and to make it unnecessary to replace them with a stopgap vet). It's more of a stretch with Jonnu Smith and Tyler Higbee, and I could understand putting them a few spots farther down on tier 6 (I actually already have as I've been tinkering with my rankings over the past week), but by that part of the rankings we're looking at vets who are also pretty iffy so they don't seem out of place. One of your best chances to get an elite TE is to go after the young prospects. Obviously the odds are better with the top prospects like Howard, Engram, and Njoku, but plenty of talent has come out of the 2nd & 3rd rounds and Shaheen and J Smith show some signs of high-upside receiving TEs.

Really don't agree with any of this. You must be in leagues with really short benches because this sounds more like redraft. Usually I have a TE1 in every league and I'm not worried about getting Miller to sit on the bench. TE2s have very little value in most leagues and you can get them for nothing. And more than any position TEs can come out of nowhere, draft position isn't nearly as important.

I hope you don't mind the constructive criticism because I do appreciate the list, I just disagree with a few things.

Wide receivers.

Josh Gordon - too low in my opinion, I would put him 6 and move everyone else down 1. He has showing that is he is going to be quarterback proof for the next 5 or 6 years. There is a chance Cleveland deals him still, and I think teams would be more interested in the off season when he has a chance to learn the play book.
If only he would have been idiot proof as well he could have been a great one.  

Looking back at rankings from past years and how fast they change (like Trent Richardson going from 1 to 14 in like two months to off the face of the earth in 2 years) tells you something.......not sure what but something.  Tells you this game is a stock market and you have to figure out which stocks to sell when high and which to buy when low.  All players are commodities and will just go up and down the list year to year, month to month during the season.  D-Adams is a good example was left for dead by many after last year and now is a prime draft pick in startups.  Guys like Calvin worth so much a few years ago up and retire and your left holding the bag.    The list goes on and on which makes this game so maddening.

I see you switched from non PPR to .5 PPR to at least add that mix in.  I wonder what the ratio is out there in the world of PPR vs non PPR leagues.

For me I play in 10 dynasty leagues, 1 is non PPR, 9 are PPR with 6 of them being TE premium (1.5 PPR) and 1 being TE 1.25 PPR.

Most leagues I see doing startups are always always PPR are hardly ever see any non PPR anymore.

If I had to guess I would guess 80% of leagues are PPR now a days.

That makes a bid difference on guys like Edelman, K-Allen, Harvin (before he flamed out so fast we hardly knew him) type guys.

This is really interesting to go back and re-read the entire thread.  I am on page 6 now key pickups here are how the divide was on Patterson.  Too bad for me I bought into it and took him in the 3rd round of my startup that year (though despite the wasted pick I went on to win not only the league championship but the overall DFWC championship that season).  I blew picks on Patterson 3rd round, Stacy 4th round, Wright 5th round, Foles 6th round but came through to win it all thanks to Dez my #3 overall pick (I had Dez rated #1 WR and #1 overall player in 2014 surprise surprise I know) also I got Lev Bell in 2nd round and Gronk in the 3rd round.  Those 3 guys along with FA pick up CJ Anderson carried to me to the promise land that year despite all the blown picks.  

Very interesting to see when one said Watkins and Evans were not better prospects than Patterson at the time.

Also so many were down on Sanders he lit it up in 2014.  Sanders will always have a place in my heart scoring those 2 TD's vs Cincy week 16 helping me win the RTS championship.

Really don't agree with any of this. You must be in leagues with really short benches because this sounds more like redraft. Usually I have a TE1 in every league and I'm not worried about getting Miller to sit on the bench. TE2s have very little value in most leagues and you can get them for nothing. And more than any position TEs can come out of nowhere, draft position isn't nearly as important.
Totally depends on the league but that's a reason I prefer playing in leagues where you can flex a TE, preferably with enhanced ppr. In those leagues TE actually hold value. 

Your point about draft position not seeming to matter looks, at least on the face, to be valid.  

Here are some RB rankings. 0.5 ppr, start 2, about 250 position players rostered. Age as of 9/1/16. Prev from Sep 23 2015.

Tr Rk Player Team Age Prev
1 1 LeVeon Bell PIT 24.5 (1)

1 2 Todd Gurley STL 22.1 (2)
3 3 David Johnson ARI 24.7 (25)
3 4 Devonta Freeman ATL 24.5 (29)

3 5 Jeremy Hill CIN 23.9 (4)
Talk about fall from grace.......Hill #5 RB last year to this year being worth ?

Looking back and seeing David Johnson last year was tier 3 RB was a shock.  Last year I think you had to have Bell, Gurley and David Johnson all in the same tier as of Jan 2016.  David Johnson was a beast to end 2015 and had all the makings of being a stud which is why he was being taken #1 RB in redraft over Gurley and a suspended Bell in redrafts last year.

This shows how fast things can change though Hill #5 RB to basically worthless in 1 year.

Post-draft WR rankings. Assuming 0.5 ppr, start 3 WR, about 250 position players rostered. Age as of 9/1/16. Prev from 1/16/16 for the then-top-61, and from 1/11/16 for the rest.

Tr    Rk    Player    Team    Age    Prev
1    1    Odell Beckham Jr.    NYG    23.8    (1)
2    2    DeAndre Hopkins    HOU    24.2    (4)
2    3    Sammy Watkins    BUF    23.2    (5)
2    4    Julio Jones    ATL    27.6    (2)
2    5    Antonio Brown    PIT    28.1    (3)
3    6    Allen Robinson    JAX    23.0    (7)
3    7    Amari Cooper    OAK    22.2    (9)
3    8    A.J. Green    CIN    28.1    (6)
3    9    Alshon Jeffery    CHI    26.5    (8)
4    10    Dez Bryant    DAL    27.8    (11)
4    11    Randall Cobb    GB    26.0    (12)
4    12    Mike Evans    TB    23.0    (14)
Wow this stands out huge for me looking back at this.  I never really followed this thread much over the years as you can assume based on all the comments I have had from the past but this one shocks me.  This is about the only place I seen Watkins rated over Evans going into last year but not only that the margin is huge.  I did a few startups last year and Evans went before Watkins in both barely but ahead of him in both.  The divide a year later now seems ginormous.  Evans is now a top 5 dyno player overall and Watkins is at the brink.

Post-draft tight end rankings. Assuming 0.5 PPR, 12 TE starters, and about 250 position players rostered. Age as of 9/1/17. Prev from 2/13/17.

Tr    Rk    Player    Team    Age    Prev

3    9    Eric Ebron    DET    24.4    (6)

Eric Ebron has been gradually sliding down my ratings as his production hasn't lived up to what the Lions hoped for, but he hasn't slid that far because his production has still been okay (and improving each year), he is still only 24, and apparently he was playing through injuries last year. 
In my 1 non PPR league I have been trying to deal Ebron all off-season and the most I was offered was a mid 3rd round pick this year. The reason is he had only 1 TD last year and most people who want to buy someone off you they want to buy on the cheap so all I hear about is that 1 TD he scored last year I can't even get a 2nd rounder for him.  Painful since I took him at #8 overall in 2014 over some guy named Beckham.

In my 1 non PPR league I have been trying to deal Ebron all off-season and the most I was offered was a mid 3rd round pick this year. The reason is he had only 1 TD last year and most people who want to buy someone off you they want to buy on the cheap so all I hear about is that 1 TD he scored last year I can't even get a 2nd rounder for him.  Painful since I took him at #8 overall in 2014 over some guy named Beckham.
:shrug: I'd give a 2nd readily.

OBJ fell too far in almost every league. 

So, Dez, are you basically saying we should just use redraft rankings for everything except our rookie drafts?

i don't think you really are, but if you extrapolate all your comments and examples about how quickly things change, and how guys fall off the planet so quickly, and how so many dynasty rankings look ridiculous just a couple of years later, isn't a redraft ranking the likely outcome to fight against all those variables?

voiceofunreason said:
I've been in 14x30 and 12x35 leagues where guys like Vance McDonald, Gavin Escobar, and Troy Niklas going back to Jared Cook were dropped during their first year or two. Sometimes as soon as September. While you may be in a deeper league, I don't think much deeper.

My point is that Zach Miller is getting dropped now. When injuries or byes hit, or if he has a TD week 1, then people will cycle the guys with little chance of helping for someone scoring points even if short term. You can get them for nothing, yes, but you can also get project TEs for nothing, because few people see the point in holding them.

Users who are viewing this thread