What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Robert Woods, HOU (1 Viewer)

Why on earth would Robert Woods want to stay in BUF? Mediocre QB play most of the time there, low targets on avg, run 1st team usually. 

I mean any time he gets opportunities he makes the most if it. I think his low fantasy production is more of environment then his talent. Would most agree?

Impending free agent Robert Woods said he is content with the No. 2 role in Buffalo.

"Sammy [Watkins] deserves being the number one," Woods said. "As long as we are progressing, moving the ball down the field and making plays, I have no problem with that." The comments suggest he is open to re-signing with the Bills, who have no receiving talent behind Watkins and Woods. The former second rounder has averaged 51 catches for 613 yards and three touchdowns his four years in Buffalo. 
Feb 25 - 9:10 AM

Source: buffalobills.com

That seems more of a benefit to BUF then to Woods himself. That low of production isn't going to help him make a nice WR paycheck. It's not like they are playoff bound every year too. 

Rams agreed to terms with Robert Woods, formerly of the Bills, on a five-year, $39-million contract.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the deal contains $15 million guaranteed. It is a nice chunk of change for a receiver who has never topped 700 yards in a season, but that will likely change in what could be a pass-heavy attack under new coach Sean McVay. Even with Woods locked up, the Rams need to add more weapons to the passing game. 

Mar 9 - 11:17 AM

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter

ESPN Rams reporter Alden Gonzalez believes WR Robert Woods is "perhaps the best bet to lead the 2017 Rams in catches".

The Rams signed Woods to be Jared Goff's primary target after letting Kenny Britt walk. Woods is spending extra time with Goff before OTAs, working on routes and timing and studying fil. The WR64 in MFL ADP, Woods is a solid flier at the back end of drafts. He should see 100-plus targets as the Rams' default WR1.

Source: ESPN 
May 24 - 11:58 AM

This is intriguing as a late round flier who could provide nice upside but at a minimum nice depth on a fantasy bench. Will really be looking to see how his chemistry is with Goff but playing in his old college stadium has to be of some comfort compared to Buffalo.

He is really cheap. I just got him at 15.4 in my early 12 team ppr redraft. I expect him to be slightly less productive than Britt who bordered the WR2/WR3 line.

I was never high on Robert Woods, and he went to one of the worst passing attacks in the NFL, but here are two players after 4 years 

161 rec 2022 yards 11 touchdowns 279 targets

203 rec 2451 yards 12 touchdowns 345 targets 

Their best seasons were

67 rec 732 yards 6 touchdowns 112 targets

65 etc 699 yards 5 touchdowns 104 targets

Nearly identical yards per target, catches per target,  etc. Both played with a strong wr1 and both moved to new teams on their second contract.  The first one is Emmanuel Sanders,  the second is Robert woods.  Very different players,  and they went to very different situations,  but in Sanders case he played with a hall of fame qb and didn't look great,  played with manning and looked all world,  then played with Brock and simian and put up 75/1100/5 numbers in back to back years. Not really stud wr numbers but still really good considering where he came from.

Now Sanders and woods are far from identical players.  And they went to totally different situations.  

But is it that hard to believe that woods, who just got a big contact, who was drafted in the second vs Sanders in the 3rd,  who is the only guy with any NFL experience catching the ball for the rams, and plays with a qb selected 1.1 in last year's draft, for a team that went from super conservative Jeff Fisher to an offensive coach from a much better passing offense... could put up 1100/5? If he gets 140-150 targets at his previous per target/ per catch production he would hit those numbers pretty easily.  

I definitely think wr105 is low for him.  He's probably closer to wr75 right now. But his ceiling seems low enough I can see why you'd move him down  especially in your swing for the fences style rankings.  I think his upside is a fantasy wr2 season, maybe 2 or 3 if he's lucky, but the more immediate upside is that he puts up a couple good games early against teams like Washington, Dallas, the 49ers and jaguars, and you can spot start him in a wr3bc slot if you really need help, then try to flip him for something useful. 

This is intriguing as a late round flier who could provide nice upside but at a minimum nice depth on a fantasy bench. Will really be looking to see how his chemistry is with Goff but playing in his old college stadium has to be of some comfort compared to Buffalo.
He's played more games in Ralph Wilson than in SoCal 

Sammy Watkins' presence will be a downgrade for Robert Woods' fantasy production.

Woods was never hugely appealing for fantasy purposes with Jared Goff as his quarterback, but at least his volume was relatively safe with little to no competition for targets. That all changed in one fell swoop Friday when the Rams acquired Watkins in a blockbuster trade with Buffalo. Woods is all too familiar with Watkins, having spent the last three years playing beside him in Orchard Park. Even with Watkins constantly injured, Woods never topped 700 yards receiving in those three seasons and that was with Tyrod Taylor, who has proven to be far superior to Goff, under center. Once considered a dart-throw WR4, Woods can probably go undrafted in most formats now.

Robert Woods hauled in 8-of-10 targets for 171 yards and two touchdowns in the Rams' Week 10 win over the Texans.

Coming off a breakout game, Woods looked on his way to a quiet day after the first half, but that changed pretty quickly in the third quarter. With the Rams up by just two points, Woods turned Johnathan Joseph around on a post route and caught a great deep ball from Jared Goff for a 94-yard touchdown. It is easily the longest play of Woods’ career a week after he had what is now the third-longest play of his career. He scored his second touchdown of the game later in the quarter on a fake reverse which turned into a swing pass from 12 yards out. Woods had never scored two touchdowns in a game before last week. He has now done it in back-to-back games, and he set a new career-high for yardage in the process. Even against a tough Vikings defense next week, Woods will be a must-start.

Started him in one league, wish I had him in my other two. If the Rams keep this up he could win leagues this year 

On pace for 69/1105/7

Is the #1 target on the #1 offense in the NFL.  Who da thunk.  This also feels like the type of second half emergence from a player that has been a good pro and now is elevating his game.  Think Doug Baldwin in 2015 or Emmanuel Sanders in 2014.

Not sure how I can bench him next week but I have 3 other great wrs all with better matchups. He feels like that wr that seems to emerge every year in the second half that wins leagues for no explicable reason.

These are the types of players I always hated when I played because they are the guys that WILL win some guys leagues but let's be real, this isn't an emergence or a trend to establish a guy. This is a one off. Maybe not in the mold of some guy that has a hot 5-6 games and is never heard of again but he's not going to be a guy that becomes Emmanuel Sanders consistently. He's more John Brown.  Actually, he's probably Allen Hurns. 

I'm sure some people will say it will be a case where the rams are emerging and they got a QB (the same QB 90% of people called a bust last year...not mentioning that to discredit Goff because I root for him and think his surroundings killed him last year, but mention it to underscore how quickly things swing).  It seems we always see these mini-periods.  Dorsett, Moncrief, Algholor, etc, etc. Hill from KC. But very few of them maintain. They just seem to find a way to evolve as their team does and become something that is meaningful to the real team but less so to weekly FF. 

Anyway, this is not much about Woods or against him; just my general disdain at looking up at the end of the year and seeing championship teams that look like Jack Doyle, Robert Woods, Tyrod Taylor, and some 3rd string RB that catches the Browns on Week 16.  It's fair. Its how the game shook out but it always made me feel like all that work for about 45 other weeks of the year were wasted and that shrewd trade that you put 20 hours into negotiating to get Russell Wilson onto your team would have been better spent using 5 minutes picking up Ryan Fitzpatrick off waivers.  

But that's just me: I don't like wasting time at all so it probably bugged me more. 

Dude has always been under-rated. THis isn't a fluke, all he ever needed was a decent QB and a passing offense, but keep calling it a fluke. It'll make him easier to acquire in the one league I don't own him ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
renesauz said:
Dude has always been under-rated. THis isn't a fluke, all he ever needed was a decent QB and a passing offense, but keep calling it a fluke. It'll make him easier to acquire in the one league I don't own him ;)
Tried to get him last week. Admittedly started low but was shot straight down. Dude turned around and started him over Keenan this week so he's a true believer. 

Shutout said:
These are the types of players I always hated when I played because they are the guys that WILL win some guys leagues but let's be real, this isn't an emergence or a trend to establish a guy. This is a one off. Maybe not in the mold of some guy that has a hot 5-6 games and is never heard of again but he's not going to be a guy that becomes Emmanuel Sanders consistently. He's more John Brown.  Actually, he's probably Allen Hurns. 

I'm sure some people will say it will be a case where the rams are emerging and they got a QB (the same QB 90% of people called a bust last year...not mentioning that to discredit Goff because I root for him and think his surroundings killed him last year, but mention it to underscore how quickly things swing).  It seems we always see these mini-periods.  Dorsett, Moncrief, Algholor, etc, etc. Hill from KC. But very few of them maintain. They just seem to find a way to evolve as their team does and become something that is meaningful to the real team but less so to weekly FF. 

Anyway, this is not much about Woods or against him; just my general disdain at looking up at the end of the year and seeing championship teams that look like Jack Doyle, Robert Woods, Tyrod Taylor, and some 3rd string RB that catches the Browns on Week 16.  It's fair. Its how the game shook out but it always made me feel like all that work for about 45 other weeks of the year were wasted and that shrewd trade that you put 20 hours into negotiating to get Russell Wilson onto your team would have been better spent using 5 minutes picking up Ryan Fitzpatrick off waivers.  

But that's just me: I don't like wasting time at all so it probably bugged me more. 
Interestingly, I do think the advent, or the popularization (if that’s a word) of FAAB accentuates what you describe.  

You can’t get every WW gem, but you can continue to strategize after the draft and maintain a significant element of relying on your own wits throughout the season.  

As for Woods himself...feels like you’re underselling him.  Was a mid 2nd round pick (solid pedigree) and this truly is the first ‘good’ NFL offense he’s been in.

Shutout said:

Interestingly, I do think the advent, or the popularization (if that’s a word) of FAAB accentuates what you describe.  

You can’t get every WW gem, but you can continue to strategize after the draft and maintain a significant element of relying on your own wits throughout the season.  

As for Woods himself...feels like you’re underselling him.  Was a mid 2nd round pick (solid pedigree) and this truly is the first ‘good’ NFL offense he’s been in.
He's also usually had another "star" to share targets with on those offense-deficient teams. INterestingly, when that other "star" (often Watkins), has been hurt, Woods has had some very strong games.

Facing Xavier Rhodes this week.
I was listening to Norse Code yesterday and heard some good insights from the guest who has been writing about the Rams since 2008 at SB Nation.

He said that teams who do have a corner shadow the Rams top receiver, such as Jacksonville and Arizona, that they have had that corner cover Watkins, and that he expects Rhodes to cover Watkins if the Vikings do have him to do that. Rhodes doesn't shadow the top receiver all the time, it depends on the play call and the game plan against specific teams, but I tend to think this may be right, that Rhodes when he does shadow a Rams receiver, it will be Watkins not Woods.

He goes on to say that Watkins does help open up things for the other receivers, because Watkins will often get safety help over the top, leaving Woods and Kupp one on one more. All teams have to worry about Gurley obviously, so it stretches defenses pretty thin.

He think the Vikings defense is good enough to match up with the Rams offense across the board. He mentions that Jacksonville was able to take the outside passing game away that forced the Rams to throw over the middle more. In that game Woods was the most targeted WR and the only effective one gaining 70 of Goffs 124 yards passing.

I am not sure how many snaps Woods has run out of the slot this year, but he played about 43% of snaps from the slot for Buffalo in 2016. His big TD in most recent game he lined up in the slot.

I can see similar things happening in this game. Crowder had 11 targets 4 receptions 76 yards against the Vikings last week, mostly drawing Terrence Newman. His biggest play was a blown coverage over the middle IIRC where neither Barr or Smith picked him up, possible miscommunication on the Vikings part there.

When Woods plays outside I think it is more likely he draws Tre Waynes in coverage.

Sean McVay former Washington offensive coordinator running very similar offense as what the Vikings faced last week.

Although I am hoping the Vikings can stifle the Rams offense this week, I can still see Woods having a good day if all the above is true. Just too many other things for the Vikings to be focused on stopping, especially Gurley. I would love it if they can play the Rams as well as Jacksonville did in the passing game, but I expect them to give up more yardage than that, but hopefully doing a better job than Jacksonville of stopping Gurley.

What I wrote in the Ajayi thread:

This one is hard to figure out. Minny has employeed the Shadow coverage 5 times so far. In week 2, X-Man was on A. Brown, week 3 he was on Evans, Week 4: Jones Jr., Week 6: D. Adams and Week 10 he was on J. Doctson. No one has scored on him when in this coverage and so far Brown has had the most success with 4 catches on 8 targets and 54 yards.

Now, Watkins normally lines up as the Left WR which means he’ll be faces the X-Man, Kupp in the Slot will see Newman and Woods on the right side will be faces Waynes.

This doesn’t look good for Watkins, Woods would be the play here “IF” I had to choose.

Tex

Woods 'on track' to play Week 15

Rams coach Sean McVay said Robert Woods is "on track" to play Week 15 against the Seahawks.

The coach added the obligatory barring "any setbacks" qualifier, but Week 15 has been the target for Woods all along. While it is always wise to exercise caution with players returning from injury, Woods had established himself as a must-start option before going down. That will remain the case against Seattle.

Source: ESPN 

Dec 12 - 10:05 AM

Player Outlook

Game Log

Career Stats

Draft Advice

Week 16 @ Tenn is appealing though for championships
I picked him up eyeing that matchup assuming he showed well enough this week. Now with mccown going down may start him over Robby Anderson but I don’t feel great about it.  Will have to check practice reports to monitor his involvement 

What do we think the split ends up being with Woods, Watkins and Cupp?
Goff's worst game this year came against Seattle in Week 5, although the Seattle Defense appears to have taken a step back from where they were week 5.
Do we think that Goff can hang 300 and 3 on Seattle in Seattle? I'm cautious on starting Rams players this week.

That game was in Jacksonville. This week is in Seattle. I'm not sure how much that matters, but it has to be a consideration.
Also to consider; McVay has blamed himself for not giving Gurley enough touches last Sunday. Could see a reduction in pass attempts as they look to establish the run.

I still think Wood + Kupp are good WR3 options, as they seem to get the most consistent looks from Goff this year.

barackdhouse said:
I think I pretty much have to start him in the semis. I wish I felt better about it.
The season started out as a "typical Robert Woods" season. One tease and three duds.

1. 5 targets, 3 receptions, 53 yards, 0 TDs
  2. 4/1-8-0
  3. 7/6-108-0 (think he and Watkins both topped 100? That crazy & good SF game)
  4. 6/2-17-0
OK, yup, we know this guy. He's the poster child for USC WR stereotypes, never measured up. Goff had eyes only for Kupp, Watkins when he needed to stretch the field.

Then Woods flipped the switch. I've watched a ton of condensed games and All 22s, and I've changed my mind about him. The 6 games around the bye (pre-injury):

• 8/5-66-0 (SEA)
  • 7/5-70-0
  • 7/5-59-0
  • 5/4-70-2
  • 10/8-171-2
  • 11/8-81-0
Average in the first quarter of the season: 5.5/3.0-46.50-0.0

Weeks 5-11: 8.0/5.83-86.2-0.7

Always dicey coming off three weeks of injury rust, though I'd be much more concerned if it were a lower extremity or hand injury.

I have options but seriously considering it. Rams turned it over 5 times in the first matchup and still kept it a one score game.

The only thing that makes me hesitant is if it's another low scoring game. I don't think it will be - the O/U is 48, 2nd highest - and I think there's an excellent chance he'll lead the team in targets. He has 5 of the last 6.

The question for me is, has Kupp built enough of a solid connection with Goff over the past 3 games to make him the primary read. The middle of Seattle’s defense can be had, especially without Kam patrolling the area. Woods should have the targets assuming his shoulder holds up.

Robert Woods caught 6-of-7 targets for 45 yards and one touchdown in the Rams' 42-7, Week 15 win over the Seahawks.

Woods led all Rams' pass catchers across the board on a day Jared Goff attempted just 21 passes and threw for 120 yards in the easy win. Woods missed the previous three games with a shoulder issue but picked up right where he left off before the injury. Woods' touchdown was a wide-open one-yard hookup on a quick snap at the line. Woods will be a WR2 Week 16 at Tennessee.

Took a deeper look at this kid. I think he's the #1 on this team the next 5 years. He looks amazing on tape. Buy. Buy. Buy. He's super underrated. 

Took a deeper look at this kid. I think he's the #1 on this team the next 5 years. He looks amazing on tape. Buy. Buy. Buy. He's super underrated. 
I think you hit on a very simple point...he looked great last year...he would flash in Buffalo but the WR I saw last year looked like he finally figured things out...I do think the upside is a little limited due to Kupp and Cooks and an RB that is great in the passing game but I think he should be a real quality #2/#3 fantasy WR...

I think you hit on a very simple point...he looked great last year...he would flash in Buffalo but the WR I saw last year looked like he finally figured things out...I do think the upside is a little limited due to Kupp and Cooks and an RB that is great in the passing game but I think he should be a real quality #2/#3 fantasy WR...
Don’t hold his time in buffalo against him. I was buying last year, then they got Watkins and it tempered my expectations. Cooks does too tonsome extent, but woods could flirt with double digit tds in that offense. 

The big loser in all this is Kupp. Cooks will probably lead the team in yards but Woods will lead the team in targets and receiving TDs. 140+ targets if he stays healthy. Cooks will get 110+. Kupp is the guy that gets hurt by Cooks signing imo. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Milkman said:
The big loser in all this is Kupp. Cooks will probably lead the team in yards but Woods will lead the team in targets and receiving TDs. 140+ targets if he stays healthy. Cooks will get 110+. Kupp is the guy that gets hurt by Cooks signing imo. 
Not saying it helped but I don't get the narrative that it hurts Kupp. There much different players. Kupp is a underneath safety valve type guy while cooks can run those routes but is usually more downfield. I guess if goff decided to take more shots this year then the targets won't be there for Kupp but I'm not sure that's really gonna be the scernio. I do agree kupps ceiling is hurt with cooks in that he probably won't do better then last year and some people won't like that since he doesn't have the potential but Kupp should still score a good number of points

Not saying it helped but I don't get the narrative that it hurts Kupp. There much different players. Kupp is a underneath safety valve type guy while cooks can run those routes but is usually more downfield. I guess if goff decided to take more shots this year then the targets won't be there for Kupp but I'm not sure that's really gonna be the scernio. I do agree kupps ceiling is hurt with cooks in that he probably won't do better then last year and some people won't like that since he doesn't have the potential but Kupp should still score a good number of points
Yeah lots of people don't like Goff's throws down the field. I don't like Sammy Watkins. I'm betting Goff will be lots better down the field with Cooks. So Cooks will command a lot more targets than Sammy Watkins did. Those targets will come from Kupp's target share not Woods imo.

Users who are viewing this thread