What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Emmanuel Sanders (RETIRED) (1 Viewer)

Denver spent a ton of money on their defense, and has stressed the importance of running the ball more this season. We just may not see the high flying offensive numbers of last season.
Their defense should be better, but I'm pessimistic about Ball's ability to replace Moreno. I think that's by far the bigger downgrade.

Sanders will surely have value in fantasy, but will likely be very inconsitent from week to week.
This we agree on. He's perfect for best ball. Good for deep leagues with large starting lineups. But in small leagues where you start 6-7 on offense, I'll probably look for more consistent production too.

I currently have the 7 and the 14. The 7 seems way too early, but the 14 sounds about right.
Maybe if the Sanders owner is rebuilding and loves rookies. But I think you'd have to include a WR or something with the 14.

I currently have the 7 and the 14. The 7 seems way too early, but the 14 sounds about right.
Maybe if the Sanders owner is rebuilding and loves rookies. But I think you'd have to include a WR or something with the 14.
He's currently a free agent. Our rookie draft includes free agents. I've got the 7, but I can't see taking Sanders that high - but if he's still there at 14 I may just have to "draft" him there.

Denver spent a ton of money on their defense, and has stressed the importance of running the ball more this season. We just may not see the high flying offensive numbers of last season.
Their defense should be better, but I'm pessimistic about Ball's ability to replace Moreno. I think that's by far the bigger downgrade.
Purely as a runner, I'd say Moreno to Ball is an upgrade. Overall, it may be a downgrade.

In 2012 when Manning attempted a reasonable 580 passes, he targeted Decker 120 times.
Was Welker on the team then?
Last season, Welker had 112 targets, Decker had 137. Albeit, Welker played 13 games.

In the three games Welker missed, Manning looked Decker's way 27 times. Decker and Welker had virtually the same targets in the games they played together. Over the course of 16 games with the same pace, they would have have both amounted 135 targets. In other words, Manning did not throw to Decker more often with Welker out of the lineup.

Even with Welker, I still stand behind 120 targets for Sanders assuming Manning makes 580 pass attempts.

I'm not willing to agree that he'll be any more efficient with his targets in Denver than he was in Pittsburgh. I think you exagerate Big Ben's (lack of) ability to anticpate and throw a WR open. I think you are overblowing his reputation for extending the play - it's not like that's the scenario every time they drop back to pass. That Antonio Brown guy was pretty efficent last season afterall. We can agree to disagree there though.
I'm a Steeler's fan, so I have watched most of Ben's games. I get the impression he waits for his receivers to get open. But I claim no expertise, so you could very well be right.

Once again - an offense dependant on quick, short passes is exactly the offense that Pittsburgh ran under Todd Haley the last two seasons. In fact a big deal was made by Ben the first year under Haley because he preffered Arians' deep passing attack, but Ben bought into it last season and was very efficient running it. Look at what Anotnio Brown and even a "washed up" Jerricho Cotchery did last season.
Brown and Cotchery play much differently than Sanders. The former with physicality, the latter with finesse. I think you're comparing apples to oranges.

I don't think Marvin Harrison or Jerry Rice would have done remarkable with Ben either. The precision doesn't matter with him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Brown and Cotchery play much differently than Sanders. The former with physicality, the latter with finesse. I think you're comparing apples to oranges.

I don't think Marvin Harrison or Jerry Rice would have done remarkable with Ben either. The precision doesn't matter with him.
I don't think Sanders and Brown play all that differently at all (in fact during their rookie season the Steelers would rotate which one of the two was active each week, so in essense they replaced eachother in their role on offense on a weekly basis). Sanders has a little more deep speed, and Brown is more shifty/quick imo - but they are very similar in style.

...and I'd equate Brown with Harrison and Rice before I would Sanders. Brown is a better precision route runner than Sanders.

I guess we've spun our wheels back and forth enough on this topic - Sanders may very well be the breakout star of 2014, we'll see. I just think he'll be over-rated based on landing with Denver, so I will miss out if he ends up being so.

Purely as a runner, I'd say Moreno to Ball is an upgrade. Overall, it may be a downgrade.
True. But if Ball doesn't block, he'll be on a very short leash.

The thing that worries me is that he had 100 targets last season. I looked at that and then Decker who had 120 and I think to myself something's rotten in Denmark. I understand Big Ben isn't Manning but he also has thrown for 4,000 yards on multiple occasions. Sanders can whine that he stayed into block but it sure doesn't look like it when you see how many targets he really did have. He was plagued by drops last season and rashes of injuries the years before that. I'm starting to think he's a good sell high candidate even though my initial reaction and excitement was that he became my WR3 with WR1 potential upon his initial signing.

The thing that worries me is that he had 100 targets last season. I looked at that and then Decker who had 120 and I think to myself something's rotten in Denmark. I understand Big Ben isn't Manning but he also has thrown for 4,000 yards on multiple occasions. Sanders can whine that he stayed into block but it sure doesn't look like it when you see how many targets he really did have. He was plagued by drops last season and rashes of injuries the years before that. I'm starting to think he's a good sell high candidate even though my initial reaction and excitement was that he became my WR3 with WR1 potential upon his initial signing.
WR1 potential? no way - he's not half the redzone threat that Decker was.

What do you mean by sell high?

I ask because a lot of people say sell high, at least based on this thread. Sanders may have less value than people might think - especially after the team drafted Latimer. What do you think you could get for him?

What do you mean by sell high?

I ask because a lot of people say sell high, at least based on this thread. Sanders may have less value than people might think - especially after the team drafted Latimer. What do you think you could get for him?
The drafting of Latimer probably did lower Sanders perceived value - but as much as I argued "against" Sanders in this thread, the reality is that Latimer likely doesn't affect Sanders' actual value (for 2014 at least). Manning doesn't exactly have time to break a rookie in and Latimer is a little raw coming into the league. It's possible his physical talent lets him start to pirate snaps from Sanders during the course of the season, but that seems unlikely. Given that he's likely a hold now - and if you want to sell high you may have to hope he has a big Week 1 or 2 (or perhaps preseason).

duaneok66 said:
Bojang0301 said:
WR1 potential? no way - he's not half the redzone threat that Decker was.
10 targets inside the 5 last year with 7 catches and 5 TD's. That's not bad at all...

Dr. Octopus said:
The drafting of Latimer probably did lower Sanders perceived value - but as much as I argued "against" Sanders in this thread, the reality is that Latimer likely doesn't affect Sanders' actual value (for 2014 at least). Manning doesn't exactly have time to break a rookie in and Latimer is a little raw coming into the league. It's possible his physical talent lets him start to pirate snaps from Sanders during the course of the season, but that seems unlikely. Given that he's likely a hold now - and if you want to sell high you may have to hope he has a big Week 1 or 2 (or perhaps preseason).
No player has a bigger separation between real value and perceived value than Sanders. The draft made it even worse, though it shouldn't have. Rookies tend to sit and watch for Fox and Peyton both. Even running backs can't get on the field their first year. Latimer won't participate in practice until training camp, which further lessens his chances of seeing the field.

If Sanders was a hold before the draft, he's a buy low now - certainly not a sell high.

KFFL: Sanders continues to show his quick burst and ability to stretch the defense, catching a long td from Manning Wednesday June 11th.

Emmanuel Sanders - WR - Broncos
ESPN Broncos reporter Jeff Legwold says the Broncos "were right" about their evaluation and scheme fit for Emmanuel Sanders.
Sanders has apparently handled himself well in his first offseason as a Bronco. He's shown an ability to play both outside and inside, and is "putting in the extra time" with Peyton Manning. Sanders is obviously a good bet for his first 1,000-yard season thanks to this offense, but we'd feel better about a big-time breakout if the Broncos didn't use a second-round pick on Cody Latimer. We wouldn't rule out the rookie closing the gap quickly here.

Source: ESPN.com
Jun 19 - 11:11 AM

(KFFL)Denver Broncos WR Emmanuel Sanders said it feels like he landed in "wide receiver heaven" when he signed with the team. "The thing that I like about the Broncos is there is really no No. 1 guy," Sanders said. "Peyton always goes with the favorable matchup and that's what I'm really liking about this offense. Any guy could go off for 180 yards or 100 yards with 10 catches any week, week in and week out, just based off of matchups."

I really think 1) Sanders is overblowing his move to Peyton Manning and 2) everyone else may be too. I've traded Sanders some and held him in a few where it's advantageous to take the chance on him. That being said Big Ben made Hines Ward, made Mike Wallace one of the highest paid WR's in the game, and helped a 6th round pick have two 1,000 yard season which has only happened a handful of times in NFL history. Yes two of those three guys have a notorious work ethic and the other has speed for days but with only Brown as any sort of proven commodity and Sanders given every chance to earn his place and he screwed the pooch. He's in the best situation he could be in now but let's not act like he went from the poor house to a deluxe apartment. He's going from eating NY strips to eating filets. If you expect Erik Decker I think you'll be disappointed with inconsistency and frustration of benching/starting him at the wrong moments.

Big Ben made Hines Ward
Ward's best statistical season occurred before Roeethlisberger entered the league and Ward was coming off 3 consecutive 94+ catch seasons when Pittsburgh drafted Roethlisberger. He only had 1 season with Roethlisberger where he caught 90+ passes.

I'm not sure how Denver plans to use Sanders as he seems like a better fit for the slot, but I don't think Roethlisberger made Ward.

Big Ben made Hines Ward
Ward's best statistical season occurred before Roeethlisberger entered the league and Ward was coming off 3 consecutive 94+ catch seasons when Pittsburgh drafted Roethlisberger. He only had 1 season with Roethlisberger where he caught 90+ passes.I'm not sure how Denver plans to use Sanders as he seems like a better fit for the slot, but I don't think Roethlisberger made Ward.
That was an incomplete thought on my part. I wanted to say a legit WR. Which I always remember Hines being serviceable. You are correct though.Edit to add: my point was more so that Big Ben has been kind more than once to fantasy WR's I think Sanders underperformed last year and even with Manning it wouldn't shock me to see him do it again.

Bojang0301 said:
Edit to add: my point was more so that Big Ben has been kind more than once to fantasy WR's I think Sanders underperformed last year and even with Manning it wouldn't shock me to see him do it again.
Ben very well sheds tacklers buying time, sometimes rather than going to his next read. In this way, he helps receivers by holding onto the ball long enough for them to get open. A guy like Hines Ward, without butt-loads of separation ability, benefits from Ben's quarterbacking.

Manning's comment: "You can't hold the ball very long when [Emmanuel] is running a route, I learned that", offers a possible explanation as to why Sanders didn't succeed in Pittsburgh. If you agree with Manning, Sanders better fits into a timing passing system, perhaps getting open in accordance with his route but failing to stay open.

Bojang0301 said:
Edit to add: my point was more so that Big Ben has been kind more than once to fantasy WR's I think Sanders underperformed last year and even with Manning it wouldn't shock me to see him do it again.
Ben very well sheds tacklers buying time, sometimes rather than going to his next read. In this way, he helps receivers by holding onto the ball long enough for them to get open. A guy like Hines Ward, without butt-loads of separation ability, benefits from Ben's quarterbacking.

Manning's comment: "You can't hold the ball very long when [Emmanuel] is running a route, I learned that", offers a possible explanation as to why Sanders didn't succeed in Pittsburgh. If you agree with Manning, Sanders better fits into a timing passing system, perhaps getting open in accordance with his route but failing to stay open.
This is a very insightful post. Still TBD whether it ultimately proves true but the reasoning makes a great deal of sense. Something to watch for during the preseason games for sure.

Bojang0301 said:

Not surprising, Peyton plays to his receivers strengths. Ben makes the receivers play to his.

Didn't get to view the game, but Sanders put up an impressive stat line. He must have built some decent chemistry with Peyton. Hopefully a sign of good things to come.

That catch on the 2nd touchdown last night was spectacular. I thought Steelers fans said this guy couldn't catch the ball. :confused:

In redraft, what round are you taking Sanders? I'm eyeing him as my #2 WR and prepared to reach for him a little. He has so much more upside than the WR being taken around him.

This apparently trumped my thought process. I did sell in some leagues and felt I got decent returns happy I still have him in the PPR and redraft leagues I'm in after last night.

That catch on the 2nd touchdown last night was spectacular. I thought Steelers fans said this guy couldn't catch the ball. :confused:
Really a frustrating player. Speedy, great route runner. If he's free and he can break towards the ball, he's made some really nice plays. If he has to be physical with a DB to fight for a ball, he wilts.
I'll stand by this. If he and Peyton develop a some chemistry and trust he could be really good.

Watching it again right now. He will be inconsistent as Decker was last year unless Welker is out awhile though.

In redraft, what round are you taking Sanders? I'm eyeing him as my #2 WR and prepared to reach for him a little. He has so much more upside than the WR being taken around him.
I took him at 5.7 in my MFL 10, 12 team ppr draft that took place about a month ago. He was my WR3 and at the time I felt like I reached for him at that position.

From what I can recall, that was around his ADP per MFL during that time. His ADP post Aug 15 is 7.05 so either I over drafted or his ADP has dropped some in the past month.

Watching it again right now. He will be inconsistent as Decker was last year unless Welker is out awhile though.
All Wr's are inconsistent to a degree. Decker last year was a plug and play and finished as a WR 1 in fantasy terms. I don't know what more you expected from him last year.

I'm good with that.

He's my WR4 in a dynasty, love it. I'd feel alright with him as my WR2 if I went elsewhere early.

Just drafted him in a heavy FBGs league, mainly on the Welker news. I felt like after last night he looked solid and even if Welker does come back, he is one hit from being gone for a long time. I made a mistake waiting one round too long on Latimer, but Latimer is a rookie, so Sanders absolutely benefits even more in terms of targets.

For reference for others drafting soon, I got him at 4.10 as my 3rd WR (2 keeper league, kept Harvin). The next WRs taken after him were Welker, Wallace, Tate, Boldin, Wayne, Decker (me), Bowe, T. Austin and Terrance Williams. I thought about Wallace, but liked Sanders upside.

leftcoastguy7 said:
Especially now considering Welker has suffered another concussion.
Just drafted him in a heavy FBGs league, mainly on the Welker news. I felt like after last night he looked solid and even if Welker does come back, he is one hit from being gone for a long time. I made a mistake waiting one round too long on Latimer, but Latimer is a rookie, so Sanders absolutely benefits even more in terms of targets.

For reference for others drafting soon, I got him at 4.10 as my 3rd WR (2 keeper league, kept Harvin). The next WRs taken after him were Welker, Wallace, Tate, Boldin, Wayne, Decker (me), Bowe, T. Austin and Terrance Williams. I thought about Wallace, but liked Sanders upside.
So is 4th round too high now? Or just about right?

Is Welker really being drafted after at this point?

SaintsInDome2006 said:
leftcoastguy7 said:
Especially now considering Welker has suffered another concussion.
stbugs said:

Welker went way too high, but with our keepers, Sanders is more likely a 5th rounder. I honestly think 4th/5th is most likely where he will go. I would take him there again with no hesitation. As I mentioned above, I think that even if Welker gets cleared, he is one hit away from most likely done for the year. FBG's email said this is #3 in 9 months and I agree with their sentiment that it wasn't a wicked hit. I feel bad for Welker, but it reminds me of Collie where it didn't take much at all for him to sustain another one. So, you already are starting with Sanders looking like he is going to get Decker's targets, which should already put him in line for solid results, but if Welker is out, he is clearly WR2 above a rookie and Caldwell. His upside is pretty huge if Welker is out.

SaintsInDome2006 said:

Welker went way too high, but with our keepers, Sanders is more likely a 5th rounder. I honestly think 4th/5th is most likely where he will go. I would take him there again with no hesitation. As I mentioned above, I think that even if Welker gets cleared, he is one hit away from most likely done for the year. FBG's email said this is #3 in 9 months and I agree with their sentiment that it wasn't a wicked hit. I feel bad for Welker, but it reminds me of Collie where it didn't take much at all for him to sustain another one. So, you already are starting with Sanders looking like he is going to get Decker's targets, which should already put him in line for solid results, but if Welker is out, he is clearly WR2 above a rookie and Caldwell. His upside is pretty huge if Welker is out.
I don't tie Sanders value to Welker at all. Over the past two seasons, Decker's targets didn't change with or without Welker in the lineup. If it has any sustenance, this recent concussion would have impact on Julius Thomas more than anybody.

I don't worry much about Welker anyhow, considering the recent reports that he likely won't miss any real games.

SaintsInDome2006 said:

I don't tie Sanders value to Welker at all. Over the past two seasons, Decker's targets didn't change with or without Welker in the lineup. If it has any sustenance, this recent concussion would have impact on Julius Thomas more than anybody.

I don't worry much about Welker anyhow, considering the recent reports that he likely won't miss any real games.
I think it would. Andre Caldwell benefited last year IIRC and I think Sanders would as well. Latimer is a rookie and while talented and having potential, he hasn't been like Benjamin/Evans lighting it up in pre-season where you know they would benefit. That is why I think Sanders will benefit without Welker just based on NFL ready experience and Peyton trusting him. There are going to be a lot of targets going around and Decker/Welker both being gone would spread around more targets to DT, JT and Sanders the most IMHO.

Also, I don't see how you can't worry about Welker. If he gets another concussion, that would be 4 in less than a year and he easily could be done for a long time. Did you see the hit where he got the concussion? It wasn't a brutal hit, so I hate to say it in my unprofessional opinion that he could be very vulnerable to more concussions this year.

I think something like 80/1100/9 is very possible here. I grabbed him (amazingly) in the start of the 7th of a 10 team league. Hoping for a good year out of this guy :thumbup:

But Sanders is not Decker. General consensus is that if Welker is out, Sanders moves into the slot, and then Caldwell or Latimer takes over on the outside. So, Sanders has a different role in Welkers absence than Decker did. More or less, who is to say right now. I've gotta believe Manning throws at talent more than position, and therefore Sanders could continue to produce from the slot, assuming he is a better target than Caldwell or the rookie.

FWIW, I just drafted Sanders at 5.06 (WR21) becasue I was tired of him being drafted a spot or two in front of me.

But Sanders is not Decker. General consensus is that if Welker is out, Sanders moves into the slot, and then Caldwell or Latimer takes over on the outside. So, Sanders has a different role in Welkers absence than Decker did. More or less, who is to say right now. I've gotta believe Manning throws at talent more than position, and therefore Sanders could continue to produce from the slot, assuming he is a better target than Caldwell or the rookie.

FWIW, I just drafted Sanders at 5.06 (WR21) becasue I was tired of him being drafted a spot or two in front of me.
Sanders may move to the slot with Welker out, but what effect does this have on his targets? I doubt very much. Last season, when Welker and Decker both played, they received roughly the same amount of targets.

Either way, though, this debate exists in vanity since now it appears Welker likely won't miss any real action.

FWIW, I luckily selected Sanders after the 7th round in a few drafts in July. But it seems my days of getting him have withered, now with him going in the 4th. Much too expensive these days.

Sanders may move to the slot with Welker out, but what effect does this have on his targets? I doubt very much. Last season, when Welker and Decker both played, they received roughly the same amount of targets.

Either way, though, this debate exists in vanity since now it appears Welker likely won't miss any real action.

FWIW, I luckily selected Sanders after the 7th round in a few drafts in July. But it seems my days of getting him have withered, now with him going in the 4th. Much too expensive these days.
The difference is when Welker played last year, he had DT, JT, and Decker to compete for targets with. If Welker is out and Sanders slides into the slot, he has DT, JT, and Caldwell to compete for targets with.

Because Decker > Caldwell, that means I would expect Caldwell to outperform Welker last year. On a per-game basis, Welker was WR17 last year (PPR). WR17 is a mid-4th round pick this year (12 team, ppr, redraft). Decker was WR12, by the way.

I'm not sure mid-4th is overpriced.

That puts Sanders exactly at Decker's ADP last year. Go back a few pages in this thread to see a lot of emphasis on the fact Sanders doesn't come close to Decker as a player. Although I've vouched for Sanders until this point, because I still account for the possibility he can't fill Decker's shoes, I can't select him in the fourth round. We're still talking about a guy who hasn't done anything yet in the NFL, outside of a fantastic pre-season game. On upside, I'll go sixth at the earliest.

That puts Sanders exactly at Decker's ADP last year. Go back a few pages in this thread to see a lot of emphasis on the fact Sanders doesn't come close to Decker as a player. Although I've vouched for Sanders until this point, because I still account for the possibility he can't fill Decker's shoes, I can't select him in the fourth round. We're still talking about a guy who hasn't done anything yet in the NFL, outside of a fantastic pre-season game. On upside, I'll go sixth at the earliest.
67-740-6 is "not doing anything"? No, it's not studly, but it shows that he has potential, and he is now in a much more-efficient, pass-happy offense, and with a better QB. I think 70 catches, 1,000 yards and 8 touchdowns is more than reasonable to project.

Users who are viewing this thread