What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Travis Kelce, KC (2 Viewers)

What kind of projections do you guys see from Kelce this season?
I'll let some stats guy do projections but I'm very high on him. Bowe is a weak WR#1 and they really don't have #2 WR. A healthy Kelce could take on the targets of a #2 WR. I could envision him having a Jordan Reed type breakout season.
I can definitely see him coming in as a low-end TE1 or possibly a high TE1, he might be the best TD target on the team. I'm kind of pissed he went off last night though, here's to hoping he has some quite games ahead of him before the season. I've been snatching him up in every draft this offseason and trading for him buy low in dynasty. Still have one or two more big money leagues though and was hoping to grab him as another late round flier.

I won't give a full projection cause I"m really not sure what type of production he'll see.

Realize, Smith through the ball 508 times last season, completed about 60% for 308 completions, that said... it was over 15 games. Add in a 16th game and you get about 541 attempts and 328 receptions.

Now, Fasano and McGrath combined for 41 receptions, 355 yards and 4 TDs. That said, they suck, both of them. And last season the O-Line was significantly better. This year, Smith is going to be checking down to Charles and his TE a lot more I'd think. They were worth about 12.3% of the teams receptions last year.

Andy Reid's history?

TEs combined for:

12' - 82/367 completions or about 22.3% of the teams receptions

11' - 75/330 - 22.7%

10' - 51/348 - 14.65%

09' - 76/335 - 22.35%

08' - 64/362 - 17.7%

Outside of the odd outlier of 2010, Reid usually averaged about 22% to his TEs and in most of these year (all but 08') it was almost exclusively towards Celek. So when he has a big and semi-talented TE he makes use of him. For comparison if the team averaged 22% last year it'd have about 74 receptions among the TEs. Now, obviously Kelce isn't just going to eat up every TE reception, but I also think the Chiefs are going to be forced into passing situations more this year and we all know Smith isn't going to take a lot of chances, so even in passing down's he's going to look at the TE often.

I'd say a solid projection for Kelce right now would be 55 Rec, 632 yards and 7 TDs with a high end projection being more around the lines of 80 receptions, 900 yards and 10 TDs.
I overlooked this great post prior to making my post above. Great analysis.
Considering he's my #2 I'd love to get either of those.

Rotoworld:

Travis Kelce - TE - Chiefs

After watching tape of the Chiefs' preseason opener, coach Andy Reid mentioned second-year TE Travis Kelce as a "standout" in the game.

It's a sign that Kelce's explosive playmaking ability could earn him more chances with the first team after he predominately ran with the twos on Thursday night. With no clear No. 2 wideout on Kansas City's roster, Kelce is a sophomore breakout candidate. He's not a TE1, but is a TE2 to target in the late rounds.

Source: Terez Paylor on Twitter

Last edited by a moderator:
I think more so than who he outran is that coming off of micro fracture surgery he didn't lose a bit of speed. If he starts over Fasano, you'll be glad you have him on your squad

I think more so than who he outran is that coming off of micro fracture surgery he didn't lose a bit of speed. If he starts over Fasano, you'll be glad you have him on your squad
I brought this up right after his microfracture surgery, but his injury was apparently less serious than most since it was only affecting him when he was getting into his stance, not when he was running. That's the reason I expected a better outcome for him.

Harris is pretty raw. The only real reason he's in the conversation is because the Chiefs WR situation is pretty barren. Think Kelce is clearly the guy to own here, and there should be plenty of targets for him. The biggest thing holding him back is his own continued development. The faster he learns, the quicker his share of the pie grows.

montana_grizzly_bears said:
SproutDaddy said:
Harris is going to be involved as well. Could be messy for fantasy football.
Gronk/Hernandez?Why do people assume things like this?
I am guessing because it is 3 instead of 2. Gronk/Hernandez was a completely different situation.
Yep. Fasano/Kelce/Harris. Plus they run the ball a ton. Brady was slinging it.
Fasano has never been a factor in the passing game. Not sure how good of a blocker Kelce.

Harris is pretty raw. The only real reason he's in the conversation is because the Chiefs WR situation is pretty barren. Think Kelce is clearly the guy to own here, and there should be plenty of targets for him. The biggest thing holding him back is his own continued development. The faster he learns, the quicker his share of the pie grows.
Was he with the team al last year or was he rehabbing on his own? If he was with the team that should help with his learning.

montana_grizzly_bears said:
SproutDaddy said:
Harris is going to be involved as well. Could be messy for fantasy football.
Gronk/Hernandez?Why do people assume things like this?
I am guessing because it is 3 instead of 2. Gronk/Hernandez was a completely different situation.
Yep. Fasano/Kelce/Harris. Plus they run the ball a ton. Brady was slinging it.
Fasano has never been a factor in the passing game. Not sure how good of a blocker Kelce.
Kelce was a fairly good blocker in college. Waldman and others had a lot of positive things to say about him in that area, and he looked fine when I happened to see him. There's always a learning curve when going from college to the NFL, though, so I would expect his technique to be behind someone like multi-year vet like Fasano at this point in his development.

Was he with the team al last year or was he rehabbing on his own? If he was with the team that should help with his learning.
I'm sure he spent time with the playbook, but it sounds like he was mostly on his own. Limited participant in OTAs. Youngsters need reps to help turn theory into muscle memory, so there's only so far studying can take him. He shouldn't be in over his head like many rookies when it comes to knowing the offense, but I still expect this to be a "rookie year" on the field while he refines his craft.

Rotoworld:

ESPN Chiefs reporter Adam Teicher said second-year TE Travis Kelce is unlikely to replace Anthony Fasano in the starting lineup.

Teicher was quick to add it "wouldn't surprise" him if Kelce led the duo in catches. An eight-year veteran, Fasano has the experience and blocking ability to hold off the talented sophomore, but Kelce has the pass catching talent the Chiefs' offense is desperate for. Both players should find their way onto the field often this season. Kelce is a TE2 with upside.

Source: ESPN.com

Aug 9 - 9:06 AM

Rotoworld:

ESPN Chiefs reporter Adam Teicher said second-year TE Travis Kelce is unlikely to replace Anthony Fasano in the starting lineup.

Teicher was quick to add it "wouldn't surprise" him if Kelce led the duo in catches. An eight-year veteran, Fasano has the experience and blocking ability to hold off the talented sophomore, but Kelce has the pass catching talent the Chiefs' offense is desperate for. Both players should find their way onto the field often this season. Kelce is a TE2 with upside.

Source: ESPN.com

Aug 9 - 9:06 AM
"Wouldn't surprise", that's funny. I'd say that barring injury there's no way Fasano has more catches than Kelce this year.

Expect a lot of 2 TE this year for the Chiefs. Harris looks better than any of the Chiefs #2 WR's.

Kelce sits on my dynasty waiver wire. And I've got bums like Ivory and Moreno on my bench. Just don't want to pick up the preseason all-star of the year and regular season zero. Probably damned either way.

I live in KC and just from following the team closely and listening to the local media I think we will be seeing more production from the TE position as a whole this year. Behind Bowe and Avery we are looking at guys like AJ Jenkins, Kyle Williams, Junior Hemingway, and Albert Wilson. I am expecting Kelce to out perform all of them. I could see Hemingway getting a little uptick in targets but not anything drastic, sounds like Wilson has created some buzz early on in camp but I think Kelce will easily end up as that 2nd or 3rd passing option.

Despite being injured last season, Kelce said he stuck around the team the whole year and went to all the meetings so I think he has a good idea what to expect from the playbook and the mental side, its just a matter of going out and performing well which i really think he will do. I think Alex Smith will look to him more than people seem to think.

ETA: 2nd pass catching option might be too high but behind Charles and Bowe the targets are up for grabs.

Kelce sits on my dynasty waiver wire. And I've got bums like Ivory and Moreno on my bench. Just don't want to pick up the preseason all-star of the year and regular season zero. Probably damned either way.
What do you think Ivory is going to give you?

[SIZE=10.5pt]I like Kelce more and more each day. I probably actually need to lower my expectations a little. I just think that with the lack of receiving options, and Alex Smith’s history with Vernon Davis, that Kelce could end up having a big year. I’m not comparing his game to Julius Thomas, but all this talk about Fasano being at the top of the depth chart because of blocking is the same stuff we were hearing out of Denver last year. I know its two completely different offenses, but I also recall Reid using a TE a lot in Philadelphia. I see his ceiling somewhere around 80/1000/10, but realistically am expecting 60/800/5. I like the upside for a late round flier.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]I like Kelce more and more each day. I probably actually need to lower my expectations a little. I just think that with the lack of receiving options, and Alex Smith’s history with Vernon Davis, that Kelce could end up having a big year. I’m not comparing his game to Julius Thomas, but all this talk about Fasano being at the top of the depth chart because of blocking is the same stuff we were hearing out of Denver last year. I know its two completely different offenses, but I also recall Reid using a TE a lot in Philadelphia. I see his ceiling somewhere around 80/1000/10, but realistically am expecting 60/800/5. I like the upside for a late round flier.[/SIZE]
Hard to get too excited about that. Vernon Davis is probably the most talented TE in the game, possibly ever. And he only cracked 100 targets twice with Smith. 80/1000/10 would top Vernon Davis' career highs in both receptions and yards.

That being said, I also like Kelce this year. In 2009, Celek had 112 targets for 76/971/8. But that was far and away the best TE season under Reid ever and the other TEs only had 8 targets so there was essentially zero competition at TE. The very next season Celek played 16 games and only put up 79-42/511/4. It should also be noted that the QB in 2009 was McNabb and 2009 McNabb >> 2014 Smith.

With a current ADP of TE24, I think we should be happy if we see 60/660/5 from Kelce. Should be a fringe TE1 there. I think his ceiling is 70/840/8, but 12 ypr seems like wishful thinking with Smith at the helm. He'll need to be really good after the catch.

What do you think Ivory is going to give you?
Yeah, I'm thinking I would drop Ivory in a heartbeat for Kelce in a dynasty.
You guys convinced me and I'm back on the Kelce train. So long Ivory...

Young guy with TE#1 upside, what's not to like? Vernon Davis comps, Andy Reid TE system that can make a slug like Celek a low end TE1 a few years back, a QB looking for a big money extension with only one starting WR worth a salt to throw to? Yeah I like all those variables. But what I really like is the bounce in Kelce's step coming off that microfracture surgery. He seemed to find another gear on the 69 yard TD. The cost to acquire Kelce is cheap, and I think he outperforms expectations.

Chiefs’ Demetrius Harris could be a slam-dunk at tight end

By RANDY COVITZ

The Kansas City Star

08/15/2014 10:44 AM

Chiefs tight end Demetrius Harris couldn’t resist temptation. He knew what he was about to do was illegal, but he still couldn’t help himself.

So after leaping high and hauling in a touchdown pass from Tyler Bray in practice this week, Harris, a converted college basketball player, soared even higher and slammed the football over the crossbar in the move former Chiefs tight end Tony Gonzalez made famous.

Starting this season, that celebration will cost a team 15 yards. But not on the practice field at Missouri Western in St. Joseph.

“That was my first time doing it, so I was doing it for the fans,” said Harris, a former Division I basketball player at Wisconsin-Milwaukee. “I know I can’t do it in a game, so I was just giving the fans some entertainment. The goal posts are for the fans. I just wanted to surprise them.”

Harris, a 6-foot-7 power forward in college, gave the fans something to cheer about in the preseason opener against Cincinnati when he got open for a 30-yard completion from Bray on a third-and-9 play.

“I was kind of nervous,” Harris said of his first NFL reception, “but I settled down, and was thinking, ‘Act like it was a practice, and don’t go through the motions. Go full speed, and if you mess up, still go full speed.’ I just let myself go.’”

Harris spent all of last season on the Chiefs’ practice squad, and the club was curious how he would perform in a game under the lights, in front of a big crowd and against hard-hitting linebackers and safeties.

“The guys were teasing him a little bit,” said Chiefs tight ends coach Tom Melvin. “They were saying, ‘OK, you haven’t been tackled by an opponent yet. Your teammates aren’t going to take a shot because you’re going to take care of each other …’

“But he stood up, and shoot, he got 4 yards after contact on that. He’s running hard. … It’s incredible what the young man has done to get himself to this point.”

Harris had an offer to play football and basketball at Arkansas State after graduating from Jacksonville High School in a suburb of Little Rock. Though football was his first love, Harris played two years of basketball at Mineral Area (Mo.) College before transferring to Wisconsin-Milwaukee, where he was spotted in a game three years ago by Chiefs general manager John Dorsey, who was working for the Packers at the time.

After Dorsey came to Kansas City last year, he placed a call to Harris, who was about to sign a contract to play professional basketball in Europe.

Harris thought someone was pulling a prank.

“It was like, it can’t be real,” Harris said. “It was around April Fool’s Day, and I thought somebody’s got to be playing a trick on me. I’ve got a friend, and he likes to play like that, and I thought it was him. But I said, if someone calls again, he must be serious. I got another call, and football was my first love. The following week I had a tryout.”

Had Harris been ready to play, there would have been an opportunity for him last year, especially after the oft-injured Tony Moeaki was released, third-round draft pick Travis Kelce missed all season with a knee injury, and starter Anthony Fasano missed seven games with injuries.

Instead, while Harris learned the nuances of the position, the club brought in a series of backup tight ends like Sean McGrath, Richard Gordon, Dominique Jones and Kevin Brock. McGrath has since retired and Jones and Brock did not return, giving Harris, now 30 pounds heavier at 230, plenty of opportunities to play alongside Fasano and Kelce.

“The transformation he made in the offseason,” said Melvin, “from the strength and conditioning part of it, what the strength coaches did with him, and the time he spent catching footballs and running routes, he’s a football player now.”

Kelce, who is 6 feet 5 inches, also had a big game against Cincinnati last week, catching two passes for 73 yards, including a 69-yard touchdown catch and run.

“Because Harris and Kelce are big bodies who can get out in space …” Melvin said, “the bigger you get, tight ends have a little bit harder time playing in space, but those two guys are unique in that regard.”

Harris is aware of the legacy of Gonzalez — a former college basketball and football star —who had a Hall of Fame career in Kansas City, as well as the other combo basketball/football players such as Antonio Gates, Jimmy Graham and Julius Thomas.

“I like all of their games,” Harris said. “I’m just trying to grab everything from them and put it into mine and be better.”

Even if he’s listed behind Fasano and Kelce on the depth chart, Harris has carved a spot for himself on special teams. He made key blocks on both the 65-yard kickoff return by Albert Wilson and De’Anthony Thomas’ 80-yard punt return for a touchdown against Cincinnati.

“I’m way more confident than I was last year,” Harris said. “I don’t want to say cocky, but confident. I know a lot more. Last year I came in and really didn’t know and was second-guessing myself. Now, I’m going out three with confidence and doing everything full speed and know what I’m doing.”

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/article1231051.html#storylink=cpy

I realize times are changing and personell issues might be forcing the issue, but has Andy Reid ever had a prolific TE in his offense? I'm not talking #### I just can't think of one.

I realize times are changing and personell issues might be forcing the issue, but has Andy Reid ever had a prolific TE in his offense? I'm not talking #### I just can't think of one.
Brent Celek had some decent seasons with Andy Reid, his best one being in 09 when he pulled in 76/971/8. And for reference Celek is a slug.

Celek had 76/971/8 in 2009.

Chad Lewis had top 10 seasons in 2000 and 2001.

Brent Celek had some decent seasons with Andy Reid, his best one being in 09 when he pulled in 76/971/8. And for reference Celek is a slug.
According to nfldraftscout, Celek ran 4.79 at his Pro Day.

Kelce ran 4.61 and Harris 4.52-4.62.

Now that Harris is up to 257 lbs. both of these guys have Gronk-esque numbers.

According to nfldraftscout, Celek ran 4.79 at his Pro Day.

Kelce ran 4.61 and Harris 4.52-4.62.

Now that Harris is up to 257 lbs. both of these guys have Gronk-esque numbers.
Well that is impressive. Ok, color me intrigued.

Rotoworld

Travis Kelce secured 4-of-4 targets for 63 yards and a touchdown in the Chiefs' second preseason game Sunday night.

Kelce mixed in with the first-team offense in two-tight end sets, but opened the game behind Anthony Fasano. Ultimately playing with both the first and second teams, Kelce's night was quiet until Aaron Murray found him for a 43-yard touchdown on a seam route, at the end of which Kelce physically dominated a Panthers defensive back en route to the end zone. Through two preseason games, Kelce has reeled in 6-of-7 targets for 136 yards (22.7 YPR) and two touchdowns. He remains a high-ceiling TE2 target in fantasy drafts. Aug 17 - 10:48 PM

Rotoworld

Travis Kelce secured 4-of-4 targets for 63 yards and a touchdown in the Chiefs' second preseason game Sunday night.

Kelce mixed in with the first-team offense in two-tight end sets, but opened the game behind Anthony Fasano. Ultimately playing with both the first and second teams, Kelce's night was quiet until Aaron Murray found him for a 43-yard touchdown on a seam route, at the end of which Kelce physically dominated a Panthers defensive back en route to the end zone. Through two preseason games, Kelce has reeled in 6-of-7 targets for 136 yards (22.7 YPR) and two touchdowns. He remains a high-ceiling TE2 target in fantasy drafts. Aug 17 - 10:48 PM
The way he's playing with the lack of receiving options I'd put him at TE12 right now.

This is the guy I keep ranking #1 in my free agent drafts. He will get plenty of looks this year, just my opinion when I look at their lack of weapons other than Jamaal and Dwayne.

Is Kelce actually going to start or get enough playing time?
I expect a lot more of 2 TE sets this season, especially if they need to keep in an extra blocker (Fasano?) to help out the struggling offensive line. That, along with the lack of weapons, leads me to believe he will see plenty time on the field.

Where are you guys ranking Kelce in leagues that don't have TE slots? (TE counts as WR)

Where are you guys ranking Kelce in leagues that don't have TE slots? (TE counts as WR)
Probably wouldn't draft him. As it is right now, he's not even the "starting" TE on his own team. I'd rather take my chances on a WR. Kelce is exciting in dynasty, but realistically he probably won't be starting for anybody regularly in redraft even when TE's are mandatory.

I wouldn't roster him. All but the very top tier of TEs (for which read "Graham and Gronk") have little value in such leagues.

Delanie Walker finished TE12 last season with a line of 60 / 571 / 6; that's 153 points in PPR. But 36 WRs put up more than 153 points in that format last season. So a low-end TE1 is basically equivalent to a barely-startable WR3, and of course there's no guarantee Kelce's going to put up even low-end TE1 numbers this season.

Let others overpay for the "top" TEs like OJT, Cameron, Davis in such a format while you focus on picking up additional WRs to fill that slot with instead.

My only hesitation with Kelce is that his two TDs have come from Daniels and Murray, one with 21 seconds left in the first half (starters were gone before the end of the 1st quarter) and the other in the 3rd quarter. He has yet to catch a pass from Smith.

So, he isn't even the starting TE, yet a solid projection is TE10? He has potential, but a guy who has literally not played a meaningful snap against an NFL starting defense shouldn't be given almost a floor of TE10, especially since TE is a steep learning curve position. Jamal Charles is the offensive engine of this team and if Fasano is a better and more experienced blocker, he is going to get the most snaps and make Kelce have to earn snaps. Maybe he is a guy to look for a 2nd half bump in the numbers, but a high end production of 80-900 and 10 TDs (i.e. better than anyone in 2013 besides Graham) is ludicrous. That isn't a high end ceiling, that is a dream.

My only hesitation with Kelce is that his two TDs have come from Daniels and Murray, one with 21 seconds left in the first half (starters were gone before the end of the 1st quarter) and the other in the 3rd quarter. He has yet to catch a pass from Smith.

So, he isn't even the starting TE, yet a solid projection is TE10? He has potential, but a guy who has literally not played a meaningful snap against an NFL starting defense shouldn't be given almost a floor of TE10, especially since TE is a steep learning curve position. Jamal Charles is the offensive engine of this team and if Fasano is a better and more experienced blocker, he is going to get the most snaps and make Kelce have to earn snaps. Maybe he is a guy to look for a 2nd half bump in the numbers, but a high end production of 80-900 and 10 TDs (i.e. better than anyone in 2013 besides Graham) is ludicrous. That isn't a high end ceiling, that is a dream.
Where are you getting these projections? No one is projecting a Jimmy Graham season. I said I would consider him at TE12 since he has a higher upside than guys in that range.

The Chiefs have very little at receiver and Kelce is arguably their best one. Fasano is purely a blocker at this point and the Chiefs should be running a lot 2 TE sets.

I wouldn't roster him. All but the very top tier of TEs (for which read "Graham and Gronk") have little value in such leagues.

Delanie Walker finished TE12 last season with a line of 60 / 571 / 6; that's 153 points in PPR. But 36 WRs put up more than 153 points in that format last season. So a low-end TE1 is basically equivalent to a barely-startable WR3, and of course there's no guarantee Kelce's going to put up even low-end TE1 numbers this season.

Let others overpay for the "top" TEs like OJT, Cameron, Davis in such a format while you focus on picking up additional WRs to fill that slot with instead.
I disagree somewhat. My main league has always been no mandatory TE. As a result people often tend to overlook mid range TE1s who can be very useful for WR depth and can be somewhat predictable good as spot starters against defenses that struggle covering TEs.

Obviously its all about relative value and where others in your league are picking TEs. But I've found that solid mid range TEs can be overlooked in leagues like this and can be used at times with more confidence than many of the WR3/4 types you'd be plugging in otherwise.

And all of that to say, I still wouldn't roster Kelce either but if he emerges like some think he could certainly be worth a FA pickup in non TE leagues.

Where are you getting these projections? No one is projecting a Jimmy Graham season. I said I would consider him at TE12 since he has a higher upside than guys in that range.

The Chiefs have very little at receiver and Kelce is arguably their best one. Fasano is purely a blocker at this point and the Chiefs should be running a lot 2 TE sets.
Top of this page.

Again, not saying everyone is projecting that, but when all his production in pre-season is with 2nd/3rd stringers against 2nd/3rd stringer, I temper my expectations. Obviously, people in this thread don't. When I saw those projections I had to check when and with whom he caught the TDs to get a better understanding. Also, while Fasano is purely a blocker, he has caught at least one (didn't look at him in both games) pass from Smith and Kelce has not. Again, Charles is their main offensive weapon, so similar to RB pass blocking for Peyton, run blocking for TEs is critical for Charles.

Again, not saying he isn't good, but predicting the projections above based on Murrary and Daniels TDs against backups is taking pre-season literally.

Users who are viewing this thread