What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Travis Kelce, KC (8 Viewers)

Blow up with posts from dudes brave enough to start him and blow up from dudes wishing they started him.
What makes you draw this conclusion?

I onow a lot of people got really excited about that play in pre-season but what is it about how the Chiefs operate that makes you think this because I don't see it. Alex Smith, IMO, is not going to be feeding seam passes down the middle of the field and on comeback crossing routes consistently enough to give Kelce the consistency he needs to emerge as an every week guy. With the way they use Charles, it's more like "hand it to Charles or watch which way Charles fans out and then go his way or go down the field on the Charles side. But I don't see these over and over scenarios where they flow out one way, set up everything to be pulled out INTO the middle of the field (the same way Charles is moving) and then sending it down that area.

Anyway, that's my take. What say you on why it will be the other way? How is he going to be used to support it?
Why not? What do you think the gameplan is going to be? They're not running the ball 50 times.

Projections I see are 3 catches for around 30 yards. I wish the experts were more enthusiastic about his chances
there is no base line though....don't know how many snaps he'll be on the field, how they plan on using him, etc..

Projections I see are 3 catches for around 30 yards. I wish the experts were more enthusiastic about his chances
there is no base line though....don't know how many snaps he'll be on the field, how they plan on using him, etc..
He's an interesting athlete, The two TDs in the preseason were explosive. I question if he's gonna to have volume that makes him a TE1. Good upside but will he break out like Julius in that offense? He might, but then again 3-30-0 might be his weekly production. If you like him go for it. It's likely no one paid the TE1 price the majority of your competition spent on their TE1.

In one of my deep leagues, I plan on starting him of Ladarius Green due to Dwayne Bowe's suspension.

Anyone else doing anything similar?

He's an interesting athlete, The two TDs in the preseason were explosive. I question if he's gonna to have volume that makes him a TE1. Good upside but will he break out like Julius in that offense? He might, but then again 3-30-0 might be his weekly production. If you like him go for it. It's likely no one paid the TE1 price the majority of your competition spent on their TE1.
He might not have the volume or "break out" per se but he has that home run ability. That 3/30/0 could easily be a 4/86/1 with a long td. It might take him another season to be the go-to TE, but the occasional hr game is something I'll take this season at my backup TE

Last edited by a moderator:
He might not have the volume or "break out" per se but he has that home run ability. That 3/30/0 could easily be a 4/86/1 with a long td. It might take him another season to be the go-to TE, but the occasional hr game is something I'll take this season at my backup TE
I hear ya. I'm not sure I would want him in a TE by committee for a FF team, but this guy - or LeDarius Green - makes for a solid TE2 with upside.

In one of my deep leagues, I plan on starting him of Ladarius Green due to Dwayne Bowe's suspension.

Waited on TE this year in one of my leagues, and with short benches, can't carry both, as there was too much value at WR and RB to burn more than one spot at TE. Seems like Ladarius Green has a more potentially explosive ceiling, but the floor is lower than Kelce who will likely put in steady production. Seems like Kelce might be the safer long term play, and Green still has Gates on the field with him, but I'm torn over who to roster between Kelce and Green. Neither are totally reliable every week TEs, and would rather pair them in tandem, but right now I have to contend with making a bet on one or the other.

Waited on TE this year in one of my leagues, and with short benches, can't carry both, as there was too much value at WR and RB to burn more than one spot at TE. Seems like Ladarius Green has a more potentially explosive ceiling, but the floor is lower than Kelce who will likely put in steady production. Seems like Kelce might be the safer long term play, and Green still has Gates on the field with him, but I'm torn over who to roster between Kelce and Green. Neither are totally reliable every week TEs, and would rather pair them in tandem, but right now I have to contend with making a bet on one or the other.
So week one, Would you play Kelce over Green?

I am. That means Green will go off.

Honestly, I think the greatest probability is that they both get the same stat line -- 3 catches, 30 yards or so. But I do agree that Kelce has a better matchup against the Titans D than Green against the Cards. And where Green has to contend with Gates, Kelce has less competition for targets. The main concern I have with Kelce's potential upside this week is that KC just opts to run Charles over and over again.

Honestly, I think the greatest probability is that they both get the same stat line -- 3 catches, 30 yards or so. But I do agree that Kelce has a better matchup against the Titans D than Green against the Cards. And where Green has to contend with Gates, Kelce has less competition for targets. The main concern I have with Kelce's potential upside this week is that KC just opts to run Charles over and over again.
Worst case scenario would be a blowout like last year against the Raiders when Smith completed a total of 9 passes to players other than Charles.

The Titans look like they have a better offense this year so I don't expect the Chiefs to go completely conservative.

I disagree with the bolded. I really like the TE matchup against the Cards. I do, however, favor Kelce this week, based on likely use. I have no confidence the Chargers will get Green involved.

Why don't you like him against the Cardinals? I'd agree if Daryl Washington was playing, but none of those LB's scare me whatsoever

Granted this is a new year, but last year the Cardinals were the worst team in the league against the tight end for fantasy, and not just by a little, If I recall correctly they allowed around 13 ppg to tight ends and the Jaguars were 2nd at like 10. Now they are missing some key defenders,

I picked him off the wire last night in both of my leagues to back op Cameron and Witten. Stoked about this kids potential.

Granted this is a new year, but last year the Cardinals were the worst team in the league against the tight end for fantasy, and not just by a little, If I recall correctly they allowed around 13 ppg to tight ends and the Jaguars were 2nd at like 10. Now they are missing some key defenders,
They did upgrade at SS. Jefferson/Bucannon >>>>>>> Yeremiah Bell

They did upgrade at SS. Jefferson/Bucannon >>>>>>> Yeremiah Bell
In general, Cards D was in top half last year, and excelled specifically at racking up picks -- they looked like they were just hitting their stride as a unit in preseason. TEN was also decent defending the pass last year, but were putrid against the run. Loss of Bowe gives Kelce more opportunity, but the real opportunity I see for the Chiefs is to let Charles score against a Titans team that was even looking poor against the run in preseason, then grind out yards and minutes on the ground.

However, will take Kelce on home turf with less receiver competition than trust Rivers to favor Green over Gates on the road.

Sure, but the cards also played against the best tight ends. Tampa probably had a harder schedule when it comes to tight ends but defending the TE was the cards key weakness.

The more I think this through the less crazy it seems to play kelce as my TE this week over say, Jordan Reed or Kyle Rudolph.

It's not as if these other TEs don't have question marks of their own going into week 1.

Take Reed for example. He played well when he played last year but he didn't play THAT much. He also has injury concerns and shaky qb play and he's going up against what should be a much improved defense that will probably be chasing around griffin all day long. Not to mention that he is one of 3 or 4 terrific targets for griffin. He is going to share looks with garçon, djax, the RBS and Roberts.

Kelce is going to be the defacto wr1 for the chiefs this week. And, if he answers the bell, he will be this years Julius thomas. They are going to keep him heavily involved all year long.

I think I even would feel ok replacing Moreno with kelce in my flex. Moreno is another one who, while I'm high on him this year and believe he will far surpass his adp in value, has questions going into week 1. He's technically the #2 back rt now and will be in a time share with miller in a tough game vs a tough defense.

It's not that crazy to throw kelce in there over him in my flex.

Any of you guys seeing other opportunities like this to throw kelce in there? Flex players or TEs with question marks?

Love Kelce's game. Nice to have on my bench. But if you are considering starting him week one, you probably didn't draft well. In one dynasty league, I'm forced to start a bunch of Kelce type players week one, so I'm not speaking down to anyone from my glass house. Good luck to your Kelce owners. Hope he blows up this Sunday.

I like Kelce and I drafted him plenty, but you guys are putting the cart before the horse here imo. I wouldn't start him over Rudolph or Reed or Ertz types. I just don't have the faith that there will be enough plays called for him. Andy Reid typically has a decent fantasy tight end, but rarely a stud one. I'm taking a wait and see approach, and if you have options that are more proven, I'd go with them week1 imo

I realize defenses/players change, but last years stats are interesting:

Kyle Rudoplh vs STL: STL allowed 2nd least PPG to TE- 670 yards and 4 TD all year. I think STL will put a lot of pressure on the MIN O-line and Rudolph may have to stay in and block more than usual

Travis Kelce vs TEN: TEN allowed the 6th most PPG to TE- 923 yds and 8 TD

Ladarius Green/Antonia Gates- ARZ let up the most PPG to TE last year (16 TD!), but this timeshare is murky.

I really think Reid has been hiding Kelce a bit in preseason waiting to unleash him week 1-IMHO, and I'm betting on the upside and element of surprise over the tempting Norv Turner TE bonanza with Rudoph against a tough DEF. Sources have even cited that KC passed on legitimate WR help this offseason because of Kelce upside. Overall I think Rudolph and Kelce may have similar seasons fantasywise.

If you are projected to be the underdog in your matchup, I think Kelce is a good upside play this week and possibly long term...I'm excited to see what happens!

Love Kelce's game. Nice to have on my bench. But if you are considering starting him week one, you probably didn't draft well. In one dynasty league, I'm forced to start a bunch of Kelce type players week one, so I'm not speaking down to anyone from my glass house. Good luck to your Kelce owners. Hope he blows up this Sunday.
In the dynasty league I'm starting him my other TE's are Ebron, Eifert and Green. Great long term but Kelce is the best option right now.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fancy-stats/wp/2014/09/03/fantasy-football-week-1-startsit-play-colin-kaepernick-bench-jordan-cameron/

"Travis Kelce, TE, Chiefs

Kelce was targeted 14 times in the preseason second most among tight ends and made 11 catches for 193 yards and two touchdowns. Both of those touchdowns were on deep throws where he was targeted 20 or more yards downfield. The Chiefs face the 10th-easiest schedule in terms of fantasy points allowed to tight ends, which means Kelce could surprise in Week 1. He is also owned in just 9.2 percent of ESPN leagues and could be a great waiver-wire pick up."

Pass-catching TE, in a passing offense.

Top WR rival for targets week 1: Donnie Avery. Deep threat+Alex Smith=4 targets.

Top WR rival after week 1: Dwayne Bowe.

Top TE rival: Andy Fasano.

QB that doesn't throw the ball further than 15 yards downfield.

Looks pretty good to me.

I will say this. As a niners fan who has watched more than his share of Alex Smith, his best downfield throw is the TE seam route over the heads of the linebackers, which seems perfectly suited to Kelce's skill set. We may have to wait until KC plays a cover 2 defense before seeing him score a long TD, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them try at least one deep pass to Kelce down the middle this sunday.

I will say this. As a niners fan who has watched more than his share of Alex Smith, his best downfield throw is the TE seam route over the heads of the linebackers, which seems perfectly suited to Kelce's skill set. We may have to wait until KC plays a cover 2 defense before seeing him score a long TD, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them try at least one deep pass to Kelce down the middle this sunday.
Right on, same thoughts here. I remember Davis being sent on those routes over the years. There's another, too... Davis would run deep and Walker would kick out to the SL behind the WR a few yards out, then turn into a nice little rollout. Walker is a different player, but that's bread and butter stuff for Alex.

Pretty sure I'm benching kelce for Cameron and sanders (flex) in one league and pitta and sanders (again, flex) in another. But it's very tempting to put him in over pitta.

I purposely waited to draft tight ends this year. I selected Charles Clay at 12 and Kelce at 13. I like both of their upside this year. Starting Kelce this week with confidence.

:drive: I am ready to roll with Kelce today. Who is going along for the ride straight out of the gate?

I have Kelce on the bench this week behind Zak Ertz of the Eagles

I like both guys hope I don't regret the choice this week

Users who are viewing this thread