What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Travis Kelce, KC (3 Viewers)

Well this is fantastic.

Travis Kelce headed back into locker room before the game, but no word why yet.
http://www.fantasyalarm.com/playerupdate/285576/Travis%20Kelce-TE/
The same twitter poster indicated everybody was going in and he was just last. Read all the replies to that tweet.

BJ Kissel ‏@ChiefsReporter 5m

@JBChiefs14 nope. They all went in. He was just last.

https://twitter.com/search?q=travis%20kelce&src=typd
:thumbup:

Good lookin out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotoworld:

Travis Kelce - TE - Chiefs

Travis Kelce played just 20-of-58 offensive snaps in the Chiefs' Week 1 loss to the Titans.

Kelce still saw five targets, but the 34 percent usage rate isn't enough to vault Kelce above mid-range TE2 status. He remains behind Anthony Fasano on the depth chart. We know coach Andy Reid's loves his veterans. With Dwayne Bowe coming back for Week 2, Kelce isn't start-able in fantasy at the moment.

Sep 8 - 10:37 AM

Rotoworld:

Travis Kelce played just 20-of-58 offensive snaps in the Chiefs' Week 1 loss to the Titans.

Kelce still saw five targets, but the 34 percent usage rate isn't enough to vault Kelce above mid-range TE2 status. He remains behind Anthony Fasano on the depth chart. We know coach Andy Reid's loves his veterans. With Dwayne Bowe coming back for Week 2, Kelce isn't start-able in fantasy at the moment.

Kelce had 3 catches for 49 yards on only 20 snaps so I expect his usage to go up.

Avery had 13 targets and I expect him to lose the most with Bowe back. Kelce is the Chiefs biggest mismatch.

5 targets on 20 snaps is pretty damn good, imo. I don't think that rate will hold when extrapolated to 60 snaps, but it's a good sign.

Tough to watch the KC games when you have Kelce because you can see his potential in this offense. Those TE screens to Fasano could be so much more with Kelce and his YAC ability. Fasano sometimes looks like he's running in place.

Tough to watch the KC games when you have Kelce because you can see his potential in this offense. Those TE screens to Fasano could be so much more with Kelce and his YAC ability. Fasano sometimes looks like he's running in place.
I don't think the Jamaal Charles owners are listening to you.

Pretty criminal lack of use all the way around yesterday. Probably gets addressed all the way around.

Have to believe in week two they'll be throwing a lot against Denver. I think he gets 10 targets. Everything I have read says that he is a pretty good blocker. So I don't know anything other than Reids insecurities about young players, why he should not be on the field. You just hope that Reid saw what everyone else saw yesterday and that was a glaring lack of weapons.

Rotoworld:

Speaking Monday, Chiefs coach Andy Reid said TE Travis Kelce is "capable of playing more than 18 plays."

It's Reid way of admitting he screwed up, and tacit acknowledgment that Kelce should have a bigger role going forward. This being Reid, we're not expecting anything crazy to happen overnight, but the Chiefs have to realize they need Kelce's playmaking ability. We'd expect a gradual increase in usage, but enough to keep things interesting for fantasy owners. Kelce is worth holding onto in 12-team leagues.

Source: Terez A. Paylor on Twitter

Sep 8 - 1:36 PM

Gvindy said:
Have to believe in week two they'll be throwing a lot against Denver. I think he gets 10 targets. Everything I have read says that he is a pretty good blocker. So I don't know anything other than Reids insecurities about young players, why he should not be on the field. You just hope that Reid saw what everyone else saw yesterday and that was a glaring lack of weapons.
Hopefully Reid has learned that Fasano isn't going to win them games, but Kelce can.

I hope Kelce can be decent I have Jordan Reed on my squad and he looks like he is fragile as all heck. Kelce seems explosive and seems to be a great talent. Fasano is pedestrian at best and Kelce really should get more looks..

Gvindy said:
Hopefully Reid has learned that Fasano isn't going to win them games, but Kelce can.
Didn't he make a couple of TEs decent options in PHI when their WRs were Pinkston types? Celek and I forget the other one before him.

He might actually be able to do it....

cstu said:
Faust said:
Rotoworld:

Kelce had 3 catches for 49 yards on only 20 snaps so I expect his usage to go up.

Avery had 13 targets and I expect him to lose the most with Bowe back. Kelce is the Chiefs biggest mismatch.
Yes and Rotoworld was spouting off that KC didn't target WRS because of Kelce. Im hoping Kelce can develop into a Julius thomas type of te stud. He has the potential it's just they are capping it with Fasano. hopefully Reid gets the picture.

chinawildman said:
:goodposting: :wall: I thought I was the only one who seen that. Well only thing you can do is learn from it and implement in future. I could really see a 5-6 for 70-80 and possibly a td in the next game as I think the offense will be better with Bowe and also the team understands they need to get more targets to Kelce as he is a super mismatch at 6-5 260 and YAC ability.

cstu said:
Faust said:
Rotoworld:

Yes and Rotoworld was spouting off that KC didn't target WRS because of Kelce. Im hoping Kelce can develop into a Julius thomas type of te stud. He has the potential it's just they are capping it with Fasano. hopefully Reid gets the picture.
That's a lot to expect with Alex Smith at QB but Vernon Davis is a possibility.

All Indications are that the O line is worse, so protection is an issue. Perhaps Reid just favors Fasano's blocking. I could see more 2TE sets though and they could move Kelce around. It's just a dream at this point. Indy had some success with Dwayne Allen against DEN, I think I'll take a chance on him again next week. I could see 40-50 pass attempts by Alex Smith. The upside is enticing, and unless you have a top 5 TE option thats about all you can hope for. 5 targets on 20 snaps sounds good...

There are enough posts and opinions here and Reid's words themselves to indicate that The Chiefs should throw to Kelce, that they need to throw to Kelce, that Kelce is one of their best hopes of moving the ball.... but for crying out loud does anyone trust Reid?

I didn't see the game, but the fact that he didn't use Charles or Kelce barely at all is a near fire-able offense when there are 0 other play makers on that offense.

I didn't see the game, but the fact that he didn't use Charles or Kelce barely at all is a near fire-able offense when there are 0 other play makers on that offense.
:lmao: Welcome to the wonderful world of Andy Reid!

In his tenure with the Eagles - a 14-year stretch in which he had a borderline HoF QB under center and top-tier skill position players like Westbrook, Staley, D-Jax, and some guys named LeSean McCoy and Terrell Owens on his rosters - here's a partial list of some guys he force-fed the ball, to the tune of 40+ catches in a season multiple times:

Brent Celek

Chad Lewis

James Thrash

Jason Avant

Reggie Brown

Todd Pinkston

Torrance Small

(The list of complete nobodies who cleared that threshold at least once is much longer. And depressing.)

Playmakers <<< system guys in a Reid offense. It's just how it goes.

Yup, as an Eagles fan, this is sounding all too familiar.

I thought we were safe to assume, after last year's usage of Charles, that Reid had joined the school of rational coaching. I'm worried now but holding out hope that it was just a one game issue and that he'll improve.

C'mon Andy

Good article on Kelce:

Pelissero: Keep an eye on Chiefs rising star Travis KelceKANSAS CITY, Mo. – Kansas City Chiefs safety Eric Berry doesn't compare teammate Travis Kelce to New England Patriots star Rob Gronkowski.

Berry has covered Kelce enough in practice – or at least tried to cover him – to say the 6-foot-5, 260-pound former quarterback doesn't compare to any other tight end in the NFL.

"Nah, he's a different breed. For real," Berry told USA TODAY Sports this week. "He's big, he's got speed and he's got moves. He's got a lot of swag about his play. He doesn't do it like how it says in the book."

In the locker room and around the NFL, people are waiting for Kelce to break out. He's too gifted and the Chiefs need playmakers too badly for him to stay a part-time player long, even as Kelce, 24, continues to work his way back from microfracture knee surgery 11 months ago.

Kelce played just 18 snaps in last week's opener against the Tennessee Titans. But that was enough for Alex Smith to target him five times, completing three for 49 yards, including a corner route for 27 that left veteran linebacker Kamerion Wimbley stumbling to catch up.

"I grew up in Cleveland watching Kamerion Wimbley (with the Browns), so it was funny just going up against him and then burning him deep," said Kelce, whose older brother Jason plays center for the Philadelphia Eagles.

"I feel like I have the playmaking ability to get things going here soon. Whenever I get the ball in my hands, I just try to get the thing as north as possible and get in the end zone."

A third-round pick out of Cincinnati last year, Kelce didn't even play tight end until 2011, after serving a yearlong suspension for violating team rules. That might be part of why he – in Berry's words – "puts his own little flavor on" everything he does at the position.

Kelce says he still thinks like a quarterback, visualizing the entire concept of every play and trying to get someone else open when he's not. He says he's comfortable with everything he's asked to do athletically and in pattern. But this is still just his third full season as a tight end.

"He's a guy that's learning," Chiefs offensive coordinator Doug Pederson said, "and he's a guy that mentally we are going to put in certain situations and build a package around and give him 'X' amount of plays a game, and it's just through his growth and his maturity that, the more he can handle, the more obviously he'll step on the field."

The comparisons to Gronkowski are inevitable. They have similar frames. Both ran the 40-yard dash in the 4.6 range coming out of college. Both can handle themselves inline in addition to threatening defenses as receivers from a detached position.

Kelce knows he's a long way from deserving mention alongside one of the league's premier matchup threats, though. Right now, he's a second-stringer behind veteran Anthony Fasano. And Kelce admits he doesn't feel back to normal following the surgery last Oct. 8.

"Physically, I've changed," Kelce said. "My upper body has gotten to pretty much the strongest I've been, and then my lower body, I'm still trying to catch up. But I'm pretty sure by the time midseason rolls around, I should be back to where I should be."

Once that happens … watch out.

"He's very smooth," Berry said. "He runs good routes, and not just on the field. We also train together (in Florida in the offseason). Off the field, he works hard. He works very hard. That's what a lot of people don't see. He puts the time in. I'm excited to see what he can do."
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/chiefs/2014/09/13/pelissero-keep-an-eye-on-chiefs-rising-star-travis-kelce/15538831/

I've been a fan since I saw him play the Saints in preseason last year. But KC has to go to a 2-TE set as a norm for this to work every week. It's killing me I can't/won't add him because it just seems like Reid insists on sticking with Fasano and not going with the 12 backfield. And the 2-TE formation would help Charles immensely I think.

:lmao: Welcome to the wonderful world of Andy Reid!

In his tenure with the Eagles - a 14-year stretch in which he had a borderline HoF QB under center and top-tier skill position players like Westbrook, Staley, D-Jax, and some guys named LeSean McCoy and Terrell Owens on his rosters - here's a partial list of some guys he force-fed the ball, to the tune of 40+ catches in a season multiple times:

Brent Celek

Chad Lewis

James Thrash

Jason Avant

Reggie Brown

Todd Pinkston

Torrance Small

(The list of complete nobodies who cleared that threshold at least once is much longer. And depressing.)

Playmakers <<< system guys in a Reid offense. It's just how it goes.
I want to believe in Kelce, but this is a concern. Reid is one of the worst best coaches out there.

His talent jumps off the screen. He'll command more targets immediately if anyone on the KC offensive staff has the gift of sight.

His talent jumps off the screen. He'll command more targets immediately if anyone on the KC offensive staff has the gift of sight.
Agree. I like what I saw. He's available in 2 of my three leagues, but only one of those has a mandatory TE. The other one is WR-TE, so even today was just bench material. In the other one, pretty sure I am going to (try to) drop Witten for him. I have Rudolph for a low ceiling, high floor TE already, I don't need two of those. He looked solid today and could turn into Smith's Jimmy Graham. That said, Smith is not Brees, so not that ceiling, but he could easily become the #1 target in KC and that makes him a solid TE.

Kelce looked like the real deal yesterday. If he is given the reps he is going to produce and has the potential to be a star

Rotoworld:

Travis Kelce played on 32-of-86 snaps in Sunday's loss at Denver.

Andy Reid realized he made a mistake by only using Kelce on 18-of-58 snaps in Week 1. This time, he called far more "12" sets and Kelce responded by going 4-81-0 on six targets. "He's young," Reid said afterward. "We've just got to keep him coming, but he sure had some nice plays." It's obvious that if the Chiefs are going to move the ball, Kelce is going to need to be a big part of it. His time as a TE1 is coming sooner rather than later.

Source: Kansas City Star

Sep 15 - 10:14 AM

So what's his value in dynasty? Either 1 TE or allowing flex TE?

I'm about to turn down a first (likely 10-12) and would need a top 5 pick, but curious if I'm alone in this value.

I'm about to turn down a first (likely 10-12) and would need a top 5 pick, but curious if I'm alone in this value.
I'd probably take a 1st for him in 1TE league. I got an offer for a 3rd while I threw in a 4th. :rollseye:

Take a first for him either way. Of course, I was able to snag him off the waiver wire this summer.

He's right up there with Jordan Cameron for me.

I have Jordan Cameron and Kelce in a 12-team league.

Debated dropping Kelce for Delanie Walker this week and, while Kelce did well, Walker's performance is likely the difference between me winning and losing this week.

Assuming I hang on to Cameron, is it worth making a run at Walker? Would I drop Kelce or carry three TEs?

(Candidates to drop include Bobby Rainey, Rueben Randle and ... sigh ... Larry Fitzgerald.)

Take a first for him either way. Of course, I was able to snag him off the waiver wire this summer.
We can start up to 3 TEs with enhanced TE PPR scoring, so good young TEs are worth a bit.

Trying to decide between Kelce and Gates. So hard to not roll with Gates though. But Kelce's potential could be Gateslike.

We can start up to 3 TEs with enhanced TE PPR scoring, so good young TEs are worth a bit.
Every situation is different I guess. I also have Kelce on a deep roster dynasty that starts up to 3 TE's. He's my TE4 behind Gronk, Walker and Allen. If I had only 2 or even 3 TE's, I might be hesitant. But a future first, even a projected late first is pretty enticing. There are always overlooked TE's on the wire would be my train of thought or rationalization to do that deal.

I feel like his monster 10 catches for 140 yards and 2 TD game is right around the corner. He's so close. Pairing Heath Miller and Kelce in a lot of leagues is making it really easy for me to leave Kelce in my lineup. Probably even dropping Miller this week.

I feel like his monster 10 catches for 140 yards and 2 TD game is right around the corner. He's so close. Pairing Heath Miller and Kelce in a lot of leagues is making it really easy for me to leave Kelce in my lineup. Probably even dropping Miller this week.
I'd agree with this. LeVeon & Wheaton are really emerging as receiving targets which puts Miller as the 4th receiving option. Blah.

Back to Kelce...

4 for 81. No Charles (for a few weeks at least). I hope Smith (and Reid) is seeing the light here.

Seriously thinking about offering a trade for this guy now, before he has a huge game.

I read that he played wildcat QB in college. Any indication that KC might have some plays like that for him? I haven't watched their games.

I like Kelce a lot, but he's gotta be starting before that happens. This is Smith we're talking about here. Granted VD has had some huge games w/ Smith, but he was a one man show at TE during those performances.

I like Kelce a lot, but he's gotta be starting before that happens. This is Smith we're talking about here. Granted VD has had some huge games w/ Smith, but he was a one man show at TE during those performances.
Even 32 snaps is not enough, that's what Ertz was getting end of last year IIRC.

Trying to decide between Kelce and Gates. So hard to not roll with Gates though. But Kelce's potential could be Gateslike.
May roll with Kelce over Pitta. Seems like they are trending in opposite directions and might as well hop aboard before it's too late.

Lot of good opinions/insight here. In dynasty, seems like it's a no-brainer to go after Kelce. But what about redrafts? We have a ton of performing TE's -- Larry Donnell, Niles Paul, Delanie Walker, even Ebron. How do you see Kelce stacking up against them this year?

Users who are viewing this thread