What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Johnny Manziel Thread (2 Viewers)

Faust

MVP
Sources: NCAA investigating Manziel

By Darren Rovell and Justine Gubar | ESPN.com

MIAMI -- The NCAA is investigating whether Heisman Trophy winner Johnny Manziel was paid for signing hundreds of autographs on photos and sports memorabilia in January, "Outside the Lines" has learned. Two sources tell "Outside the Lines" that the Texas A&M quarterback agreed to sign memorabilia in exchange for a five-figure flat fee during his trip to Miami for the Discover BCS National Championship. Both sources said they witnessed the signing, though neither saw the actual exchange of money.

Three sources said Manziel signed photographs, footballs, mini football helmets and other items at the request of an autograph broker named Drew Tieman. Two sources, who are aware of the signing arrangement, told "Outside the Lines" that Tieman approached Manziel on Jan. 6, when he landed at Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport to attend the game between Alabama and Notre Dame the next day.

After that meeting, three sources said, Manziel, accompanied by his friend and personal assistant Nathan Fitch, visited Tieman's residence and signed hundreds of items in the main room of the apartment despite the fact that there were many people in the room. Before Manziel left South Florida, after taking in the title game, he signed hundreds of autographs more, one source said.

The source also told "Outside the Lines" that James Garland, the NCAA's assistant director of enforcement, in June contacted Tieman and at least one person associated with the signings. The source said Garland, who did not return calls from "Outside the Lines" for comment, told the person that he wanted to talk about Manziel signing items that had appeared for sale on eBay. An NCAA spokeswoman cited NCAA policy to "Outside the Lines" and declined to comment.

If the NCAA investigation finds that Manziel has violated NCAA Bylaw 12.5.2.1 -- accepting money for promoting or advertising the commercial sale of a product or service -- he could be ruled ineligible.
Attempts to reach Manziel were unsuccessful. Tieman did not return multiple calls and text messages. Fitch could not be reached.

In a statement, Jason Cook, Texas A&M's senior associate athletics director for external affairs, said "it is Texas A&M's longstanding practice not to respond to such questions concerning specific student-athletes."

Texas A&M declined further comment.

But A&M has responded to questions about Manziel and autographs before. On March 6, when ESPN.com contacted the school's compliance director, David Batson, to address a slew of Manziel-signed items that had flooded the memorabilia market, Batson provided a statement:

"Johnny has indicated on numerous occasions and, once again earlier today, that he has never (and to his knowledge, his parents, other relatives and friends have ever) been compensated through cash or other benefits or promises of deferred compensation for providing his autograph," Batson wrote.

While college athletes are frequently asked to sign autographs in public places, and those autographs often end up for sale on eBay, the amount of Manziel product that flooded the memorabilia market overall following the BCS title game was overwhelming, memorabilia dealers told "Outside the Lines."

While Manziel's father, Paul, had alleged that many of the items were fake, two of the leading autograph authentication companies, PSA/DNA and JSA, have authenticated many of the items. Officials with both companies have told ESPN in recent months that they stand by their guarantee that they believe the signatures, some with inscriptions like "Gig 'Em" and "Heisman '12" are genuine. Online verification databases show a single lot of 999 signed Manziel photos numbered sequentially. JSA authenticated 248 items and 376 items that came in in two batches that also are numbered sequentially. Industry insiders say this indicates the signings were done in large quantities intended for wholesale.

Calls and messages to Paul Manziel were not returned.

Even though Manziel is not allowed to generate income from his signature, the Manziel family has sought to protect Johnny's business affairs by starting a corporation, JMAN2 Enterprises, which in February filed for the trademark to use "Johnny Football" when he was ready to leave the college game.

The value of Manziel is clear in the memorabilia and appearance market: Independent merchandiser Aggieland Outfitters recently auctioned off six helmets signed by Manziel and Texas A&M's other Heisman Trophy winner, John David Crow, for $81,000. Texas A&M's booster organization, the 12th Man Foundation, sold a table for six, where Manziel and Crow will sit at the team's Kickoff Dinner later this month, for $20,000.

The school has committed to renovating Kyle Field, which will push seating capacity to 102,500 by the time it is completed in 2015. Texas A&M officials have said that donors, who make annual contributions of $80,000 to $100,000, have purchased all but two of the 144 suites in the stadium.

In the school's first year in the SEC last season, Manziel led the Aggies to an 11-2 season and a top-five finish for the first time since 1956. He and his teammates are scheduled to report Sunday afternoon for the 2013-14 season. He is scheduled to address the media Monday.

Manziel's offseason has drawn heavy media scrutiny. In the past few months, he has been spotted in the front row at NBA games, hanging out with rappers at bars, and has written various headline-starting tweets, including one in which he said he couldn't wait to leave College Station -- the home of Texas A&M. He also was sent home early from the Manning Passing Academy last month.

Paul Manziel recently told ESPN The Magazine that he doesn't like how the school hasn't protected the family from the NCAA and how he believes that school administrators put their motives above his son's well-being.

"It's starting to get under our skin," he said. "They're so selfish."

Manziel also acknowledged that he was concerned about his son's drinking and how he is dealing with celebrity.

"Yeah, it could all come unraveled," Johnny's father told The Magazine. "And when it does, it's gonna be bad. Real bad."

Justine Gubar is a producer in ESPN's enterprise unit.

<title edited by FBG Mod to help with searching>

Last edited by a moderator:
His NFL prospects werent very good to begin with IMO, but I think questionable decision making and fame are going to ruin him before he even has that chance.

I still remember at the Heisman show right after he won it, the commentator stated that he interested in seeing how Manziel will handle being a freshman heisman winner and that he might have a hard time handling all the fame and attention. Boy was he right. I figured he would struggle a little but nothing too big. Of course he is going to have press around him and they are going to write about him having a beer in his hand at a party. That is the stuff I expected and which to be honest isn't a big deal. But the rest of the stuff is just disasterous.

He is an idiot. Wouldn't touch this guy as an NFL GM.
Plenty of productive idiots in the nfl
As a successful franchise QB? I don't know if plenty is the word. Maybe 2 out of say the top 15 QB's in the league qualify as idiots (Cam from his college days and Roethlisberger for some of his off the field actions).

GM's/owners want the face of the franchise to be marketable and stable. Manziel is showing signs of real immaturity issues. Hopefully, Manziel realizes his actions off the field are hurting his draft stock and he tones down his antics.

He is an idiot. Wouldn't touch this guy as an NFL GM.
Plenty of productive idiots in the nfl
As a successful franchise QB? I don't know if plenty is the word. Maybe 2 out of say the top 15 QB's in the league qualify as idiots (Cam from his college days and Roethlisberger for some of his off the field actions).

GM's/owners want the face of the franchise to be marketable and stable. Manziel is showing signs of real immaturity issues. Hopefully, Manziel realizes his actions off the field are hurting his draft stock and he tones down his antics.
And both of those guys have the talent and abilities that Manziel does not.

Why should this be against NCAA rules? The NCAA can make billions off these guys, but they can not sell their autograph. Now I do understand that being that it is against the rules he should not have done it since it can impact his playing status and shows questionable decision making yet again. The NCAA rules are ridiculous to begin with and their double standards know no limits.

Manziel is showing signs of real immaturity issues.
This is LITERALLY true. He is not yet mature - he will physically mature some more, and he will certainly mentally mature some more. He is 20.5 years old, and all of his 2012 season that won him the Heisman was produced at age 19. Legally, he is immature because he cannot purchase alcohol, and in many states divorced parents are required to pay child support until the 'child' turns 21. I agree that there are major question marks regarding his decision making and ability to handle the spotlight, but to say he is "immature" doesn't really further the discussion - because by definition he quite certainly is.

So why should we be surprised that he acts immature?

I want everyone to think "what was the dumbest thing I ever did in my life?" There's a good chance you were about 18-22 years old. Almost everyone engages in dumb, selfish, idiotic, practically life-threatening behavior when he is 19 or 20 years old.

His brain is not the same as it will be by age 25. I'm not joking about concussions, but pointing out that his brain is not fully developed.

http://teenbrain.drugfree.org/science/behavior.html

The parts of the adolescent brain which develop first are those which control physical coordination, emotion and motivation. However, the part of the brain which controls reasoning and impulses - known as the Prefrontal Cortex - is near the front of the brain and, therefore, develops last. This part of the brain does not fully mature until the age of 25.

Why should this be against NCAA rules? The NCAA can make billions off these guys, but they can not sell their autograph. Now I do understand that being that it is against the rules he should not have done it since it can impact his playing status and shows questionable decision making yet again. The NCAA rules are ridiculous to begin with and their double standards know no limits.
That's not the point. He knows the rules and he broke them, allegedly. He doesn't seem to care about anyone or anything but himself. He doesn't even seem to care about his team or football in general.

That's not the point. He knows the rules and he broke them, allegedly. He doesn't seem to care about anyone or anything but himself. He doesn't even seem to care about his team or football in general.
What Manziel may or not have done is a mundane topic of interest concerning one guy. The larger issue, college athletes being allowed to profit from their own talents, is what thoughtful fans should be discussing.

What Manziel may or not have done is a mundane topic of interest concerning one guy. The larger issue, college athletes being allowed to profit from their own talents, is what thoughtful fans should be discussing.
And where better to discuss the larger social issues than the "QB Johnny Manziel: NFL Prospects and Controversy" thread.

Let's watch him play some games in year two before killing him.
Get out of here with your reasonableness!

But seriously, why would he be looking to get paid for signing stuff? I thought I read that he has family money already.

Brett Smith > Johnny Manziel

Cody Fajardo > Johnny Manziel

:no:

Let's not forget that Manziel did what he did against the SEC as a redshirt freshman. Bringing up a couple guys from the Mountain West Conference is laughable.

This is LITERALLY true. He is not yet mature - he will physically mature some more, and he will certainly mentally mature some more. He is 20.5 years old, and all of his 2012 season that won him the Heisman was produced at age 19. Legally, he is immature because he cannot purchase alcohol, and in many states divorced parents are required to pay child support until the 'child' turns 21. I agree that there are major question marks regarding his decision making and ability to handle the spotlight, but to say he is "immature" doesn't really further the discussion - because by definition he quite certainly is.

I want everyone to think "what was the dumbest thing I ever did in my life?" There's a good chance you were about 18-22 years old. Almost everyone engages in dumb, selfish, idiotic, practically life-threatening behavior when he is 19 or 20 years old.

His brain is not the same as it will be by age 25. I'm not joking about concussions, but pointing out that his brain is not fully developed.

The parts of the adolescent brain which develop first are those which control physical coordination, emotion and motivation. However, the part of the brain which controls reasoning and impulses - known as the Prefrontal Cortex - is near the front of the brain and, therefore, develops last. This part of the brain does not fully mature until the age of 25.
While I agree with what you are saying, he also acts very defiant about what he did...I did some stupid stuff, and if I got caught, I stopped. He's approaching this as "I am just 20 years old, and I am going to have fun"...there are a bunch of sound bytes out there where he really doesn't apologize and attributes it to his youth. In corporate-speak, he doesn't "own" it.

But seriously, why would he be looking to get paid for signing stuff? I thought I read that he has family money already.
Why wouldn't you be, honestly? Don't get me wrong, there are red flags everywhere. But I don't know how many 20 YO would turn down extra beer money/clothes/iPads/PS3s, etc, for an autograph.

hes 20 yrs old and enjoying the spotlight, and he seems to be rebelling against the rules that are making others rich off of his name and property. Honestly, if he cleans up his act by his junior yr and plays good football no one is going to care about this stuff anyways. They'll bust his balls about it during the interviews at the combine but after that it'll be forgotten.

Let's watch him play some games in year two before killing him.
Get out of here with your reasonableness!

The family is loaded, fame is just going to his head, and the media's stalking because it drives ratings.

We'll see what the NCAA reports, I don't really care until they rule on the issue.

Mark Ingram was younger when he won....which is why I think the coach/program deserve some criticism in JFs case.

:no:

Let's not forget that Manziel did what he did against the SEC as a redshirt freshman. Bringing up a couple guys from the Mountain West Conference is laughable.
Dismissing them based on the conference they're in, I'm pretty sure you've never even seen the other two play. What's laughable is all the hype Manziel gets. He's a great COLLEGE QB, who is at his best when things break down. That's about it. Tell me what about Manziel will translate to the NFL?

Training Camp Roundup: Manziel ineligible for NFL's Supp. Draft

Excerpt:

With the NCAA reportedly investigating Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel, there's been an even bigger push to discuss Manziel's NFL future. I tend to think that the autograph business will help Manziel in the long run, mainly because it's an issue that people will actually be sympathetic toward.

This isn't Manziel partying (allegedly partying?) at the Manning Passing Academy and this isn't Manziel acting like he won't listen to authority figures or be coachable when it matters.

Anyway, our brothers from a younger mother at Eye on College Football have you covered on most things Manziel (including his shockingly bad odds of playing Week 1!) but we'll go ahead and note here that Manziel, if he were to be suspended by the NCAA, wouldn't be eligible for the NFL Supplemental Draft.

There are a few reasons for this. One, the draft already happened. Two, it's unlikely Manziel would be suspended (or not suspended) by the time the season was set to start. And three -- and most importantly -- he's not three years removed from high school. Manziel needs another season in order to be eligible -- it'll be fascinating to see just how many games he gets to play and what happens to his NFL stock during the season.

I'm sure we'll hear a thing or two about it.

hes 20 yrs old and enjoying the spotlight, and he seems to be rebelling against the rules that are making others rich off of his name and property. Honestly, if he cleans up his act by his junior yr and plays good football no one is going to care about this stuff anyways. They'll bust his balls about it during the interviews at the combine but after that it'll be forgotten.
He really isnt a good NFL prospect, so things for him seem to be different

Rotoworld:

Johnny Manziel's attorney suggested that the quarterback could play this season even if he doesn't have clearance from the NCAA.

"I don't know if (the NCAA) will be done before the season. I believe the process should be far enough along that he'll be able to play," Jim Darnell said. The NCAA's investigation centers on whether Manziel accepted cash in exchange for autograph sessions. While the NCAA can deem Manziel ineligible, Texas A&M also faces a dilemma: If the school plays Manziel without full NCAA clearance, it could potentially be forced to vacate victories and/or championships if the NCAA later decides that Manziel is ineligible. It is not yet known if the NCAA investigation will conclude by Aug. 31, when the Aggies kick off the season against Rice. Texas A&M is being represented by the law firm of Lightfoot, Franklin and White, which led Auburn through Cam Newton's NCAA investigation. Newton, of course, played out the season in which he was under suspicion.

Aug 12 - 2:20 PM

Source: NFL.com
Former NFL scout Russ Lande believes Texas A&M redshirt sophomore QB Johnny Manziel "very likely could go undrafted" if he misses the entire 2013 season.

Lande said that without considering the potential NCAA issue, Manziel was a fourth- to fifth-round pick in his eyes. "If in fact the NCAA stuff proves to be true, and he does not play this year, I think it is going to hurt his draft stock tremendously." the former scout said. Lande went on to say he doesn't think teams view Manziel as a criminal, but they might question his ability to lead and be held accountable. "He is short, he hasn't functioned in a traditional offense in terms of being successful in a set or organized play, and there are real questions about his ability to be a leader of a team."

Aug 6 - 10:47 AM

Source: Campus Insiders
ESPN's Chris Mortensen noted on "NFL Insiders" that Texas A&M redshirt sophomore QB Johnny Manziel has no intention of playing in the CFL if he loses eligibility this season.

Mortensen went on to indicate Manziel's team does have a contingency plan in place if the quarterback does miss an extended period of time, which includes working out and preparing for the 2014 Draft. We expect plenty of more information to trickle in over the next few days regarding the reigning Heisman Trophy winner.

Aug 5 - 6:13 PM
Former NFL GM Bill Polian said current team decision makers will not care about Texas A&M redshirt sophomore QB Johnny Manziel's NCAA issue from a morality perspective.
Polian was speaking on ESPN's "NFL Insiders" and added teams will focus on Manziel's off-field issues that involved police more. The former general manager added the ultimate question is what price teams will pay come draft day. The biggest issue could be the lack of tape if the quarterback is sidelined for the entire season, since Manziel only has one year of on-field production to watch.

Aug 5 - 3:33 PM
Three out of five NFL personnel executives polled by NFL.com's Daniel Jeremiah's believe Texas A&M redshirt sophomore Johnny Manziel has the skillset to be a successful NFL starting quarterback.
One executive said: "He has a good level of that "it" factor. Also, it's worth noting that nobody in the SEC can tackle the guy." Another compares him to Russell Wilson, while a third adamantly disagreed with a comp to Michael Vick: "He had the luxury of playing behind a great offensive line. I have concerns about his size, arm strength and durability. He's not nearly as talented as Michael Vick." In analyzing Manziel, one gets the sense that an evaluator's opinion tells you more about that person's preferences than the quarterback himself. Manziel is nobody's traditional definition of an NFL franchise quarterback. It'll be interesting to see which team doesn't care.

Aug 1 - 3:04 PM
In a scouting report of Texas A&M redshirt sophomore Johnny Manziel, ESPN's Todd McShay writes that the quarterback must improve his accuracy and footwork.
McShay ranks Manziel as the seventh overall draft-eligible quarterback, wedged between Oregon's Marcus Mariota and Virginia Tech's Logan Thomas. McShay grades Manziel as a 3 -- read: average -- in mental makeup, accuracy and release/arm strength, while the Aggie earns a perfect "1" score in pocket mobility. For comparison sake, McShay ranked Russell Wilson, a player Manziel is often compared to, as a "1" in mental makeup and mobility and a "2" in accuracy and arm strength when Wilson entered the draft process out of Wisconsin.

Source: ESPN Insider

Aug 1 - 2:32 PM
Despite SEC defenses having an offseason to gameplan against Texas A&M redshirt sophomore Johnny Manziel, NFL.com's Bucky Brooks writes the film suggests the QB is an "unstoppable force."
Manziel is capable of winning with his arm or legs, which makes it difficult for defenses to matchup prosperly. "If he can continue to make strides as a passer from the pocket, while also continuing to display greatness as a scrambling playmaker, Manziel could force scouts to rethink their definition of a franchise quarterback," Brooks writes.

Jul 26 - 10:30 AM
One NFL personnel man, who apparently works for a team that will be interested in selecting a QB, told SI's Peter King there are "nothing but red flags off the field" with Texas A&M redshirt sophomore Johnny Manziel.
That same evaluator said the team will have to do extensive work on Manziel throughout the process. King calls Manziel's early departure from the Manning Passing Academy a "monumental red flag" since he did not complete the responsibility of camp counselor that he agreed to. The MMQB writer noted the alcohol report wasn't the issue, it was the lack of accountability. King added Manziel has to prove to scouts he has the arm to hit downfield throws.

Source: NBC Sports

Jul 22 - 12:53 PM
According to the National Football Post's Len Pasquarelli, NFL scouts' reviews of Johnny Manziel's arm strength are "fairly mixed" entering his third-year sophomore season, and NFL people are taking notice of Manziel's immaturity.
Manziel's Manning Passing Academy escapades reportedly "piqued the interest" of league personnel people. "I was especially interested in his comments about being just a ’20-year-old’ kid," said one scout. "I’m tired of that excuse. If I had (Manziel) in an interview, and (suggested) to him that he was just a kid, he probably wouldn’t react well. He’s a 20-year-old man, he’d (protest). Well, he needs to start acting like one." Manziel is eligible for the 2014 NFL draft. Every aspect of his game will be heavily scrutinized in 2013.

Source: National Football Post

Jul 21 - 8:23 AM
Referencing Daniel Jeremiah's listing of Texas A&M redshirt sophomore Johnny Manziel as the No. 4 QB in the nation, NFL Network's Charles Davis thinks the Aggie is underrated right now.
"He would have to be in my top 10 for sure, probably in my top five" Davis said of Manziel's national ranking which includes every position. "What happens with Johnny Football is sometimes the size gets to you. The way he might play the game gets to you a little bit... This is a kid who doesn't just have a sixth sense in the pocket, he has a seventh and an eighth sense." Jeremiah listed Manziel 22nd nationally.

Jul 20 - 12:57 PM
Texas A&M redshirt sophomore QB Johnny Manziel ranks as NFL network's Daniel Jeremiah fourth best quarterback in college football and No. 22 overall.
"Obviously if I was building a college team, he would be much higher than that," Jeremiah noted. "But I am looking at his talents and how they translate to the next level. You would like to see someone a bit bigger. But what he does, guys, is he is so special to create and make plays on his own. He takes that Tony Romo quality and takes it to a whole new level." We tend to worry about more about how quarterbacks, who claim improvisation and an ability to win on broken plays, translate to the next level.

Jul 19 - 10:02 AM

Former NFL executive Greg Gabriel believes that Texas A&M redshirt sophomore QB Johnny Manziel could be a high first-round pick.
Gabriel notes prerequisite reservations about Manziel's size, adding that he believes the quarterback's listed 6-1, 200-pound stature is an exaggeration. He compares Manziel to everyone's favorite diminutive quarterback, Doug Flutie. "Manziel has more size then Flutie, has more speed and is probably a little better athlete," Gabriel writes. Texas A&M's system requires Manziel to read the entire field, as opposed to half-read systems often implemented within college spread concepts, which Gabriel believes will be to Manziel's advantage as he acclimates to the pro game.

Source: National Football Post
Jul 15 - 3:39 PM

One NFL GM told CBS Sports' Mike Freeman that Texas A&M redshirt sophomore QB Johnny Manziel will be just as good, or better, than Robert Griffin III, Andrew Luck, and Russell Wilson.
Another GM added, "He could end up being a more accurate passer than any of those three." The opinions and evaluations on Manziel will vary considerably, and it showed when Freeman interviewed an anonymous NFL scout who stated Manziel "has Canada written all over him." We can all agree, however, that it is nice to have another year to evaluate the Heisman Trophy winner.

Source: CBS Sports

Jun 17 - 1:38 PM

Texas A&M redshirt sophomore QB Johnny Manziel has earned a comparison to Jeff Garcia from NFL Network's Daniel Jeremiah.

When asked for an NFL equivalent, Jeremiah tweeted, "I see a little bit of Jeff Garcia in his play." Previously Jeremiah stated Manziel's footwork needed a lot of polish but is "pretty freaking fun to watch on tape!"

Source: Daniel Jeremiah on Twitter
NFL Network's Daniel Jeremiah believes Texas A&M redshirt sophomore QB Johnny Manziel's footwork needs a lot of polish.
Jeremiah did admit that Manziel is "pretty freaking fun to watch on tape!" and added he is "one of the most creative players I've studied." Manziel shines on broken plays, where he is able to improvise and keep the defense guessing, but it will be interesting to read evaluations for the next year or two.

Source: Daniel Jeremiah on Twitter

ESPN's Mel Kiper considers Texas A&M redshirt sophomore Johnny Manziel as the No. 3 draft-eligible QB for the 2014 Draft.
"Let's be clear from the start: Johnny Football isn't just a product of a great offense or great blocking," Kiper writes. "He has very good instincts and vision, and flat out makes plays. He doesn't have a big arm, but he anticipates well, and uses his legs not to just to run, but to extend the passing game." Teddy Bridgewater and Tajh Boyd rank ahead of Manziel.

Source: ESPN
May 16 - 9:31 AM

Put another way: "I am a thoughtful, insightful fan, able to recognize important big picture socio-politico-philosophical aspects that revolve around modern day sports. I pity you simpletons with your small brains for failing to capture the most important aspect of this entire discussion."

Is that close, roadkill? I don't want to put words in your mouth, but that seems to about summarize what you're saying.

who does this kid have helping him?

because they have failed him 100% - and he has to know that, dumb decisions or not he KNOWS what he's doing ... he's just choosing to do them anyway

these aren't mistakes he's making - they're all choices

Why wouldn't you be, honestly? Don't get me wrong, there are red flags everywhere. But I don't know how many 20 YO would turn down extra beer money/clothes/iPads/PS3s, etc, for an autograph.
I thought I just said he had family money. That's why he wouldn't be. He doesn't need beer money. I'm sure all his beers in college station are paid for and even if they weren't, he could just put it on the family credit card. The kid wants for nothing, so that's why he's got no incentive to take pocket change for autographs.

That said, the answer to my question may simply be that he's probably not that sharp and maybe greedy. And apparently (according to that deadspin article linked earlier) the Manziels are genetically unscrupulous.

All in all, he's served his purpose. The year he had last year and all his publicity, negative or not, has helped A&M tremendously. Recruiting his replacement should not be too hard. As negative as we want to make it, his apparent life is very intriguing to many college prospects.

I thought I just said he had family money. That's why he wouldn't be. He doesn't need beer money. I'm sure all his beers in college station are paid for and even if they weren't, he could just put it on the family credit card. The kid wants for nothing, so that's why he's got no incentive to take pocket change for autographs.

That said, the answer to my question may simply be that he's probably not that sharp and maybe greedy. And apparently (according to that deadspin article linked earlier) the Manziels are genetically unscrupulous.

All in all, he's served his purpose. The year he had last year and all his publicity, negative or not, has helped A&M tremendously. Recruiting his replacement should not be too hard. As negative as we want to make it, his apparent life is very intriguing to many college prospects.
I think the very large majority of American males would fall under your labels, at that age, then. This has always gone on and he's no different than many that came before him, and many that will come after him. It's the times we live in - unfortuantely for those under the spotlight - that has the public convinced that it has a right to information it is probably better off with out.

There are some red flags, but I'm not too concerned, yet. Football is around the corner and winning will make this go away.

I just can't see a guy of his size and arm "strength" starting any games in the NFL. All this extra-curricular stuff aside...

Brees, Wilson, Vick etc have the arms to make up for their lack of size.

I think the very large majority of American males would fall under your labels, at that age, then. This has always gone on and he's no different than many that came before him, and many that will come after him. It's the times we live in - unfortuantely for those under the spotlight - that has the public convinced that it has a right to information it is probably better off with out.

There are some red flags, but I'm not too concerned, yet. Football is around the corner and winning will make this go away.
What's that? Probably not too smart and greedy? That was the only answer I could think of if he is indeed guilty. Because the majority of American males certainly don't fall under the category of "don't need $7500 for beer money." Manziel is in the unique situation to avoid this type of pitfall because he's one of the few that doesn't need the money. His dad bought him a new Mercedes so that he wouldn't do something dumb to get it. He's already got what most kids his age want. He can party and motor boat all day long, he just needs to avoid violating NCAA rules and he'll be fine as far as college football goes. He'll need to really turn things around if he wants to avoid being the next Matt Leinert in the NFL, though.

I just can't see a guy of his size and arm "strength" starting any games in the NFL. All this extra-curricular stuff aside...

Brees, Wilson, Vick etc have the arms to make up for their lack of size.
I agree. He's so accurate, that I give him a shot. But, I think arm strength is a likely issue at the next level.

What's that? Probably not too smart and greedy? That was the only answer I could think of if he is indeed guilty. Because the majority of American males certainly don't fall under the category of "don't need $7500 for beer money." Manziel is in the unique situation to avoid this type of pitfall because he's one of the few that doesn't need the money. His dad bought him a new Mercedes so that he wouldn't do something dumb to get it. He's already got what most kids his age want. He can party and motor boat all day long, he just needs to avoid violating NCAA rules and he'll be fine as far as college football goes. He'll need to really turn things around if he wants to avoid being the next Matt Leinert in the NFL, though.
What you call dumb and greedy, I call young; truth is likely somewhere in the middle. I just think this goes away if he wins football games.

What you call dumb and greedy, I call young; truth is likely somewhere in the middle. I just think this goes away if he wins football games.
Yeah, I think we mostly agree - just splitting hairs on semantics. I should have said "short sighted" instead of dumb and yes, that does go hand-in-hand with youth. I still think trying to snag $7500 for autographs is greedy when you are already loaded, though. If he was poor then I'd be a lot more understanding.

The NCAA can be ruthless, though, so I'm not sure football makes this go away. I just hope the process is a slow one so he gets in a full season.

Rotoworld:

Scouts Inc.'s Todd McShay believes it is crucial that Texas A&M redshirt sophomore QB Johnny Manziel plays in 2013 to show improvements in his game.
"Based on tape... I've got a 3rd round grade on him," McShay said. "He needs more patience in the pocket. It's crucial that he plays." We absolutely agree that Manziel needs to consistently show the ability to win from the pocket. He flashed that skill but seemed to make his biggest impact on broken plays. Teams feel better about quarterbacks with height issues if they show great vision and throwing platforms with traffic around them in the pocket.

Source: Paul Finebaum on Twitter

Rotoworld:

Texas A&M Chancellor John Sharp referred to ESPN's reporting on redshirt sophomore Johnny Manziel as "a bunch of hype journalism" and firmly believes the school's QB is innocent.
"I know he’s innocent," Sharp said. "I know that he didn’t do what they accused him of doing, and I think that it’s time that we, once we knew what the facts are and we know the facts…and I’ve seen what everybody else has seen now, and the rest of the country is going to get to see that before it’s over with. It was a bunch of hype journalism." Those following college football certainly hope some kind of resolution is made sooner than later, but, knowing the NCAA's history, that seems unlikely.

Source: KBTX

Jeff George or Ryan Leaf 2.0?
Entirely possible. But this kid has had incredible success at every level so far. He is still very young and immature. Hopefully he learns from his past transgressions and matures quickly. Bill Polan compared him to Drew Bress on Sirus NFL, and said he would overlook the off field behavior given his age.

Analyzing Johnny: Manziel polarizing NFL scouts, too

By Rob Rang | The Sports Xchange/CBSSports.com

August 26, 2013 2:58 pm ET

Remember Johnny Manziel confounding SEC quarterbacks on the football field last fall with his dazzling athleticism and dramatic playmaking?

If not, it's understandable. Since becoming the first freshman to win the Heisman Trophy, Manziel has been a nonstop news peg, but all the drama has been off the field. He has been criticized for everything from choice seats at NBA playoff games to leaving the Manning Passing Camp early, has brought more negative attention on himself through Twitter posts and getting kicked out of a Texas frat party and is now mired in another NCAA investigation involving potentially accepting money for autograph signings.

All signs point toward Manziel counting the days until he can bolt College Station for the NFL - he tweeted as much over the summer.

Few quarterbacks have left two years of eligibility remaining on the table and made successful jumps to the NFL. So we asked NFLDraftScout.com analysts Rob Rang and Dane Bugler to evaluate Manziel as an NFL prospect.

Only one stipulation - keep it on the field, boys.

Q: NFLDraftScout.com currently has Manziel rated as a second-round prospect and the No. 6 QB potentially eligible for next spring's draft. Where do you ultimately think he'll be selected?

Rang: Manziel's unique talent and box-office appeal will be enough to justify some conversation among NFL decision-makers as early as the first round. That is, of course, if he's able to prove just as dominant in a second season of SEC football. Barring anything other than a return to glory in 2013, however, and Manziel could be in for a rude awakening in the NFL Draft, as most teams are looking for a more traditional passer (and leader) at the quarterback position.

Brugler: While it's much too early to feel confident predicting the round Manziel will be selected, if he can match (or exceed) his production and impact from a year ago, Johnny Football probably won't get out of the top 50 picks (not that I agree, but that's the reality).

He's a hair under 6-feet with a narrow body type and only average arm strength, but he is able to be successful due to his athleticism, natural instincts and foot quickness to create on the move. Manziel's best quality is a trait that's tough to quantify: his improvisational skills to keep plays alive and find a way to extend drives. Call it being a "backyard quarterback," but I call it "doing whatever works," and that's all the NFL is concerned about, especially these days with more and more teams keeping open minds to different styles of quarterbacks.

Q: When you break down film of Manziel, what sticks out most about his skill set?

Rang: Manziel's extraordinary athleticism deserves top billing. He's very elusive; possessing excellent vision, balance, lateral agility and acceleration. When in the pocket, he shows good accuracy in the short to intermediate routes that every NFL offense uses (stop-fade, crossers, posts), often leading his receivers into extra yardage. He has enough zip for these throws and possesses impressive touch. When on the move, Manziel's accuracy drops slightly, but remains very effective.

In terms of the NFL, a potentially critical flaw for Manziel is that he currently possesses just average arm strength. This could potentially improve with greater muscle development. Manziel sports a compact, athletic build on his listed 6-1, 210-pound frame, but he's far from bulked up, especially in his arms.

Brugler: Based on film study, his best qualities are his natural instincts and ability to improvise mid-action, using both his arm and legs, to move the chains and extend drives. He isn't a "special" athlete like RG3, but he's very slippery with excellent athletic awareness, displaying unique 360-degree vision and feel to always know what's going on around him.

His size/arm strength are the biggest question marks for me. Yes, Russell Wilson and Drew Brees have found success as shorter passers, but they are the exception, not the rule, and both have more arm talent than Johnny Football, who is still a work in progress as a passer, physically and mentally.

Q: What does Manziel need to prove to scouts on the field to become a potential first-round prospect?

Rang: First and foremost, Manziel needs to prove that the unique traits that led to the Heisman Trophy a year ago - vision, athleticism, accuracy on the move - are just as impressive a year after SEC opponents have had a chance to adjust to him, as well as head coach Kevin Sumlin's offense. A second year of handling the punishment of 625 touches (201 of which were rushing attempts) and a stronger build will also help convince scouts that he's tough enough to handle the jump to the NFL. Finally, for Manziel to quiet critics of his arm strength, he'll need more attempts (and completions) of deep passes that require torque, not touch.

Brugler: It's fun to watch him run around, elude defenders and eventually pick up chunks of yards on the ground, but scouts already know what he's capable of athletically. What Manziel needs to do in 2013 as a redshirt sophomore is prove that he has what it takes between the ears to be a NFL quarterback. The Texas A&M offense will almost always encourage Manziel to escape the tackle box if the opportunity is there, but can he consistently work through his progressions and find open targets from inside the pocket?

Johnny Football spent a lot of time working with quarterback guru George Whitfield during the offseason, we'll see this fall if that translates to better anticipation and execution from the pocket.

Q: What separates Teddy Bridgewater and Tajh Boyd, NFLDraftScout.com's top two quarterbacks for the '14 draft, as prospects right now compared to Manziel?

Rang: Size and arm strength, for starters. Bridgewater (6-3) is significantly taller and Boyd (6-1). While listed at the same height as Manziel, Boyd possesses a much stouter, more powerful frame at 6-1, 225 pounds. Both have shown more consistent velocity and are asked to make more NFL-caliber throws to be successful in their respective offenses.

Brugler: Bridgewater enters the season as the clear-cut top NFL quarterback prospect, and if he continues to develop throughout the 2013 season, he's the favorite to be the top quarterback drafted next May, possibly even as the No. 1 overall pick. Boyd is also in that first-round discussion, showing top 10 potential at times last year. Both are much more NFL-ready and have more traditional skill sets for the quarterback position compared to Manziel.

Bridgewater has very good field vision as a passer and recognition skills to pick apart defenses, showing the toughness and smarts that teams will love. Boyd has all the arm strength needed for the position with the athleticism and eye use to manipulate the pocket and change his throwing platform on the move. In short, Bridgewater and Boyd are both much more proven using their arms, which ultimately is what NFL teams want in a first-round quarterback.

Q: Which NFL offenses would Manziel be a good fit in, and why?

Rang: Should the read-option continue to be successful in the NFL, there are few quarterbacks who have ever been better suited for it. This play, however, is far from an entire offense. Manziel has the mobility and accuracy to intrigue in a traditional West Coast Offense, but the intricate timing of this scheme is one of its most critical and under-appreciated requirements.

Manziel flashes the awareness on quick timing routes in A&M's offense to make this work. Among Manziel's trademark qualities, however, is his unpredictability. Taking this way from him could pose a significant barrier to his long-term success in this offense or any other.

Brugler: In my opinion, there isn't one NFL offense that stands out as an ideal fit for Manziel, but the best fit for him at the next level will be with the team that embraces his strengths and molds the offense around him, not vice-versa. These days more and more offensive coordinators are keeping an open mind and experimenting with the different skill sets at quarterback that the college game is producing. And Manziel's best fit in the NFL will be with an organization that is open to tweaking the offense to fit around Johnny Football and his abilities.

Q: Who would be his best NFL comparison, past or present?

Rang: Based on similarities in size, overall athleticism and an accurate but limited arm, the best comparison I've come across for Manziel is former Pro Bowl quarterback Jeff Garcia. Of course, as an undrafted free agent out of San Jose State, Garcia had a tougher path into the NFL than Manziel. it remains to be seen if the reigning Heisman trophy winner possesses the grit that helped the 6-1, 205-pound Garcia reach four Pro Bowls over his 12-year NFL career.

Brugler: The obvious comparison is Doug Flutie, and it's obvious because it makes sense. Flutie, who also won the Heisman Trophy while in college, was five-foot-nothing in pads but was able to be successful with his fleet-of-foot athleticism to scramble, escape pressure and find the open receiver. Manziel is a modern version of Flutie at the college ranks, but will he be able to achieve more prolonged success in the NFL?

Flutie, who spent a good chunk of his prime playing in the Canadian Football League, had his best years in the NFL during a three-year stint with the Buffalo Bills (1998-2000). But even then, his stats weren't overly impressive, setting career-bests in 1998 with 20 passing touchdowns and only 57.1 percent completions.

Can Manziel do better at the next level? Time will tell.

Q: In your opinion, does Manziel have the "it" factor as a future NFL Pro Bowl QB, or is he a dazzling college athlete who will struggle with the transition?

Rang: Like Garcia, Manziel possesses the physical traits to carry over his collegiate success into the NFL. Further, Manziel's possibilities are enhanced by the increased willingness of today's NFL teams to gamble on dual-threat passers.

He possesses the "it" factor. The greater concern is whether he possesses the maturity and dedication to capitalize on "it."

Brugler: Right now based on one season of play, he's more of a dazzling college athlete than future NFL Pro Bowler.

He has some exciting athletic traits that will give him a shot and might even entice a team into using a first-round pick on him. But at the end of the day, the quarterback position isn't about athleticism, it's about being a consistent and reliable passer, something Manziel still needs to prove.

With only average arm strength, streaky ball placement and undeveloped anticipation, Johnny Football still has a lot of room to grow before I'd feel comfortable tabbing him as my future starter at the pro level. That doesn't mean he can't improve and develop, but right now, he's more of an exciting - and polarizing - college athlete than established passer.

Report: Johnny Manziel denies allegations in meeting with NCAA

By Chase Goodbread

NFL Draft 365 writer

The line in the sand that Texas A&M University System Chancellor John Sharp drew regarding quarterback Johnny Manziel's innocence of allegations that he accepted money from autograph dealers has apparently been re-drawn by Manziel himself.

CBSSports.com reported Tuesday morning that Manziel denied wrongdoing in a nearly six-hour meeting with NCAA investigators on Sunday. Late Monday night, ESPN reported that the meeting between Manziel and the NCAA took place. Meanwhile, wagons circled in College Station earlier Monday night as Jason Cook, a senior official in the Texas A&M athletic department, made it clear that neither coach Kevin Sumlin, nor TAMU staff or players, would address the issue at the Aggies' regular Tuesday news conference.

Sharp, however, doesn't answer to Cook. Based on his bold remarks, he apparently answers to no one.

Manziel is alleged in three ESPN reports to have accepted money, in one case $7,500, for signing thousands of autographs in six sessions for three different memorabilia dealers in three different states. That would violate an NCAA rule prohibiting athletes from promoting commercial products for sale, but the NCAA is in an investigative stage and hasn't publicly made allegations of any kind. The month-long firestorm comes to a head this week, however, as Aggies officials are saddled with the decision of whether to play Manziel and risk NCAA penalty if he is later ruled ineligible, or bench the Heisman Trophy winner until he receives NCAA clearance.

Every indication from Texas A&M indicates the Aggies' course of action will be the former, not the latter. Texas A&M opens the season Saturday against visiting Rice, and Manziel has continued to practice with the first-unit offense.

Follow Chase Goodbread on Twitter @ChaseGoodbread.

Rotoworld:

Texas A&M redshirt sophomore QB Johnny Manziel threw for 94 yards and three touchdowns on six completions against Rice.
Manziel was back to last season's ways, taking off for two scrambles after immediately entering the game in the third quarter. He showed some improved passing ability from the pocket, working off his first read without scrambling from between the tackles. He did drop his eye level and sack himself once, and media outlets will focus on the 15 yard penalty he caused after a teammates' touchdown. He added 19 rushing yards.

Users who are viewing this thread