What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Johnny Manziel Thread (7 Viewers)

JF got extra chances because he was a first round pick and because the Browns were desperate. His skin color had nothing to do with it. The NFL is QB desperate in general. JF will get more chances whether he deserves them or not.

DallasDMac said:
Bojang0301 said:
If Johnny Football were black there is no way any other team would consider him. There, I said it. I don't like race baiting and I know it's a hijack but if he gets a shot somewhere else with two potential DV cases, coke nose, skipping practices because of being drunk, skipping a concussion test for Vegas, flipping off the other team, show boating, assisting his own teammate (who was way more important than him) get suspended an entire year AND having a limited skill set and being massively undersized for the position, what more can you say?
Yea, because we know Jerry Jones didn't give any black players with bad reputations a chance this past season. Oh, wait....
This is a legitimate point. I guess what I'm saying is that he is a backup level talent. Backup level talent doesn't get exemption. That's why Greg Hardy will continue to be rostered and Ray Rice is out of the league.

DallasDMac said:
Bojang0301 said:
If Johnny Football were black there is no way any other team would consider him. There, I said it. I don't like race baiting and I know it's a hijack but if he gets a shot somewhere else with two potential DV cases, coke nose, skipping practices because of being drunk, skipping a concussion test for Vegas, flipping off the other team, show boating, assisting his own teammate (who was way more important than him) get suspended an entire year AND having a limited skill set and being massively undersized for the position, what more can you say?
Yea, because we know Jerry Jones didn't give any black players with bad reputations a chance this past season. Oh, wait....
Especially if they've been in jail due to dog fighting and were black, they'd never be given another chance. Oh, wait...

Manziel will be given a chance if he is good enough, not because he is white. If he isn't, he'll be thrown in the discard pile.

Can the Cowboys really afford the bad pr in picking him up? The upside isn't high enough imo.

Reid doesn't seem like a guy who would want Johnny in town.

Fisher doesn't either but he might not have much of a choice on the subject.

Maybe Johnny can reunite with Brian Hoyer?

Last edited by a moderator:
DocHolliday said:
JF got extra chances because he was a first round pick and because the Browns were desperate. His skin color had nothing to do with it. The NFL is QB desperate in general. JF will get more chances whether he deserves them or not.
This is what I've been saying for months in here.

And we aren't "defending him", we're telling you how this is going to play out.

If you show improvement as a 22 year old QB in year 2 and you demonstrated work ethic in year 2, you're going to get another shot. Period.

DocHolliday said:

If you show improvement as a 22 year old QB in year 2 and you demonstrated work ethic in year 2, you're going to get another shot. Period.
Yeah you have been spot on since you came here.

DocHolliday said:

So you believe the off-field stuff, and the level of distraction JFF would bring, has no bearing on the situation.

No amount of baggage could cause him to lose his opportunity for another shot, so long as he's young, showing improvement, and demonstrating work ethic.

Do I have that right?

DocHolliday said:

So you believe the off-field stuff, and the level of distraction JFF would bring, has no bearing on the situation.

No amount of baggage could cause him to lose his opportunity for another shot, so long as he's young, showing improvement, and demonstrating work ethic.

Do I have that right?
of course it has bearing. He wouldn't be released if it didn't. But some team is going to give him a chance.

as to the "no amount of baggage" line - hyperbole much? Maybe I missed it but he didn't kill anyone. He's a punkass kid who needs to grow up. But some team is going to think they can control him and take the chance.

DocHolliday said:

Do I have that right?
of course it has bearing. He wouldn't be released if it didn't. But some team is going to give him a chance.

as to the "no amount of baggage" line - hyperbole much? Maybe I missed it but he didn't kill anyone. He's a punkass kid who needs to grow up. But some team is going to think they can control him and take the chance.
Hey I'm just seeking clarification.

"If you show improvement as a 22 year old QB in year 2 and you demonstrated work ethic in year 2, you're going to get another shot. Period."

...clearly implies nothing else matters but those things.

He will start in the NFL again, by the end of nest year
incredibly doubtful at this point
I couldn't understand any less the logic in what's OK what's not OK. Ray Rice is done but that guy committed vehicular manslaughter and he's OK, this one is on TV getting high, that one whizzed with a bottle to beat a drug test, and that one killed dogs and...none of it makes sense to me. "In my mind" none of them play but we have seen some things forgiven, almost, where guys are allowed to play.

I don't think these single events are super bad. You think it's the totality of everything with Manziel? Enough's enough?

I couldn't understand any less the logic in what's OK what's not OK. Ray Rice is done but that guy committed vehicular manslaughter and he's OK, this one is on TV getting high, that one whizzed with a bottle to beat a drug test, and that one killed dogs and...none of it makes sense to me. "In my mind" none of them play but we have seen some things forgiven, almost, where guys are allowed to play.

I don't think these single events are super bad. You think it's the totality of everything with Manziel? Enough's enough?
Moreso that he's just not that good.

He's got some gifts, but they're not enough to carry him at this level. If can become a hard worker and very studious, as Aaron Rogers puts it: "The best prepared player on the field," he could be pretty good. (or at least I'd like to see how far that could take him)

He doesn't seem to be that sort, though.

If he winds up on a team with a weak starter, it's possible. Maybe via injury. Lot of QBs started games this past year. Heck, every year.

He'll get another shot. Meaning another roster spot somewhere.

But the whole first-round-pick, groomed for the starting thing is over, for now. I don't think any team is going to sign him with the intention of making him the starter right away.

He's got some gifts, but they're not enough to carry him at this level. If can become a hard worker and very studious, as Aaron Rogers puts it: "The best prepared player on the field," he could be pretty good. (or at least I'd like to see how far that could take him)

He doesn't seem to be that sort, though.
This is my opinion, exactly.

If he winds up on a team with a weak starter, it's possible. Maybe via injury. Lot of QBs started games this past year. Heck, every year.

He'll get another shot. Meaning another roster spot somewhere.

But the whole first-round-pick, groomed for the starting thing is over, for now. I don't think any team is going to sign him with the intention of making him the starter right away.
He is a train wreck now of epic proportions. No team at this point is going to welcome the circus into their locker room. Why call all that attention to yourself when he isnt even that good. I think if he lays low (which he has shown he cannot do) and keeps his nose clean (no pun intended) then maybe at the start of mini camp someone will look at him. If he keeps getting these headlines on him, especially domestic related he is untouchable.

I really struggle with understanding how anyone would defend Manziel. What has he done to earn any respect in the NFL right now?
Johnny should go spend his offseason in costa rica or australia or idk...get out of dodge and regroup. Bring his family and just getaway, regroup, and figure things out. He's in a spot where no matter what he does he digs a hole deeper.
No, he should find someone who runs a QB clinic or find a mentor like Kurt Warner and work on becoming a better QB. He doesn't get to have the luxury of running off on vacation, he needs to get to work....if he actually wants to be in the NFL that is.

I think once he is cut from the Browns, he will do his best to stay out of the headlines. Doesn't mean he will succeed, but he will at least try to stay out of the limelight. I think in Cleveland he realized he did not want to be there, and did some of what he did to get them to release him. As with any thing Johnny has done, not the most mature way to handle a situation.

As to why someone would want to take a chance on Johnny: Brian Hoyer, Nick Foles, Case Keenum, Matt Cassel, Brandon Weedon, Ryan Mallett, Matt Schaub, Mark Sanchez, Austin Davis. These are QB's who were either the starters for their teams, or started several games due to injuries to the starter. Johnny doesn't have to be Joe Montana to improve to the point where he is better than most of those guys.

I don't think it is JUST his antics that will make teams hesitate. I think it's his antics combined with his blatant disregard for the game. He doesn't practice hard, he doesn't study hard. Heck, he can't even be bothered to show up for games and treatment sessions. I think THAT plays a much larger part in his demise than anything.

I'm gonna set the over/under for the day of the 2016 Draft for when pictures of him doing lines off the ### of a Vegas stripper surface.

I'm gonna set the over/under for the day of the 2016 Draft for when pictures of him doing lines off the ### of a Vegas stripper surface.
i'll take the over. he'll get one or two more chances, but he'll be out of the league sometime in 2017.

dhockster said:
I think once he is cut from the Browns, he will do his best to stay out of the headlines. Doesn't mean he will succeed, but he will at least try to stay out of the limelight. I think in Cleveland he realized he did not want to be there, and did some of what he did to get them to release him. As with any thing Johnny has done, not the most mature way to handle a situation.

As to why someone would want to take a chance on Johnny: Brian Hoyer, Nick Foles, Case Keenum, Matt Cassel, Brandon Weedon, Ryan Mallett, Matt Schaub, Mark Sanchez, Austin Davis. These are QB's who were either the starters for their teams, or started several games due to injuries to the starter. Johnny doesn't have to be Joe Montana to improve to the point where he is better than most of those guys.
ding ding ding

dhockster said:

He's also got 2 years remaining on a rookie deal, with a 5th year option should a team claim him on waivers. For that price someone's biting. I'm actually convinced they will find someone to trade something for him, if for no other reason that Dallas being highly likely to take claim him on waivers so someone's gonna want to jump in front of that.

dhockster said:

ding ding ding
Ryan Mallett is not a great example.

Article by Mary Cabot and a similar article by DFW guy with same quotes by Jerry Jones. He definitely wants him. He struggled to answer the interviewer's Qs and not be guilty of tampering.

IMO If a team publicly says (in this day and age it's often on video even) they don't want a player, it should be allowed that owners and GMs can express interest publicly. No contact, I get why that's tampering, but Johnny and other soon to be FAs are just 'dead fish' til March 9th or release date.

Is Marshawn in the same situation? Just seems to make for a bitter divorce. Let them speak, a market will form, and players can leave wishing others well and all that.

To be clear, I do not like JF. He came into the NFL so overrated. I laughed when the Browns took him and was doing backflips when that left Carr for my Raiders. JF is an idiot for wasting what talent he was given. Most of us would be working our butts off to succeed in the NFL were we given JF's talent. And, JF does have just enough talent for teams to sign him as a back up. If he worked at being an NFL QB, he could be in the league for years bouncing around as a back up. The NFL is that starved for QBs.

JF will be on a roster in a few months as long as he is not in jail, rehab, or dead.

I know he can stay on a team and could earn a starting spot with some crappy team but I don't think he will stop that crap he is doing. He seems to have a destructive mentality. Only time will tell.

He'll end up like a combo of Blackmon and Tebow. His troubles outside the game and lack of talent will prevent him from lasting 4+ years in the league.

Everyone should be rooting for Dallas.

Fans of Manziel can daydream about a team with a great line, and Dez, and Manziel taking over in a year or so.

The haters( Da Haterz) can root for the possibility of an implosion so large, it makes Cleveland look like a stable franchise.

He'll end up like a combo of Blackmon and Tebow. His troubles outside the game and lack of talent will prevent him from lasting 4+ years in the league.
Except instead of ending up as an SEC network analyst, he'll be flipping houses on TV with Vanilla Ice.

ding ding ding
Why? Mallett started 6 games in 2015 for 2 different teams. If that doesn't tell you there is a dearth of talent at QB in the NFL, and that Johnny still has value because he could be better than Ryan Mallett, I don't know what does.

ding ding ding
Why? Mallett started 6 games in 2015 for 2 different teams. If that doesn't tell you there is a dearth of talent at QB in the NFL, and that Johnny still has value because he could be better than Ryan Mallett, I don't know what does.
Ryan Mallett and those other QB's listed don't bring the circus with them when they come to town.

Users who are viewing this thread