What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Johnny Manziel Thread (6 Viewers)

Really wish I would have placed that Bovada bet. Good luck leeching off your parents the rest of your life you scumbag.

DALLAS - The ex-girlfriend of NFL quarterback Johnny Manziel told police that the Heisman Trophy winner told her "shut up or I'll kill us both" after forcing her into a car, hitting her, and dragging her by the hair.

:shock:

JaxBill said:
pantherclub said:
This was a lot "funnier" about 3 or 4 years ago. Brandon Marshall has really matured on and off the field since he received help for his psychological issues.
He has improved, still not mature though. Still talks way too much.
Lol. Every player in the NFL runs their mouth.

And so ends the NFL career of Johnny Football. Can we close the thread and move on? Sorry Cleveland. You guys deserve better. I like the Cleve.

I think once he is cut from the Browns, he will do his best to stay out of the headlines. Doesn't mean he will succeed, but he will at least try to stay out of the limelight. I think in Cleveland he realized he did not want to be there, and did some of what he did to get them to release him.
This is utter tripe. He has serious issues. No way even 10% of this was "planned." He's just a self-destructive idiot.

I think once he is cut from the Browns, he will do his best to stay out of the headlines. Doesn't mean he will succeed, but he will at least try to stay out of the limelight. I think in Cleveland he realized he did not want to be there, and did some of what he did to get them to release him. As with any thing Johnny has done, not the most mature way to handle a situation.

As to why someone would want to take a chance on Johnny: Brian Hoyer, Nick Foles, Case Keenum, Matt Cassel, Brandon Weedon, Ryan Mallett, Matt Schaub, Mark Sanchez, Austin Davis. These are QB's who were either the starters for their teams, or started several games due to injuries to the starter. Johnny doesn't have to be Joe Montana to improve to the point where he is better than most of those guys.
He's also got 2 years remaining on a rookie deal, with a 5th year option should a team claim him on waivers. For that price someone's biting. I'm actually convinced they will find someone to trade something for him, if for no other reason that Dallas being highly likely to take claim him on waivers so someone's gonna want to jump in front of that.
correct

I think once he is cut from the Browns, he will do his best to stay out of the headlines. Doesn't mean he will succeed, but he will at least try to stay out of the limelight. I think in Cleveland he realized he did not want to be there, and did some of what he did to get them to release him. As with any thing Johnny has done, not the most mature way to handle a situation.

As to why someone would want to take a chance on Johnny: Brian Hoyer, Nick Foles, Case Keenum, Matt Cassel, Brandon Weedon, Ryan Mallett, Matt Schaub, Mark Sanchez, Austin Davis. These are QB's who were either the starters for their teams, or started several games due to injuries to the starter. Johnny doesn't have to be Joe Montana to improve to the point where he is better than most of those guys.
He's also got 2 years remaining on a rookie deal, with a 5th year option should a team claim him on waivers. For that price someone's biting. I'm actually convinced they will find someone to trade something for him, if for no other reason that Dallas being highly likely to take claim him on waivers so someone's gonna want to jump in front of that.
correct
Nah. Wrong. Incredibly wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm really unclear on why no charges were filed.
In all likelihood the police - who know far more about this situation than any of us - found her story to be filled with inconsistencies, and deemed Ms. Crowley to be neither credible nor reliable. If she had shown injuries consistent with her story the police would certainly have arrested Manziel and charged him with domestic battery - regardless of Ms. Crowley's wishes. She made similar claims about him hitting her in the roadside incident a few months ago with no evidence to back it up. There are a pattern of incidents where these two have a big blowup, the police come, she spins a terrifying tale, and then refuses to cooperate fully with authorities. Something obviously happened between the two of them, but what is anyone's guess. Manziel has problems, but I think it's pretty clear that this woman is no angel either.

Really wish I would have placed that Bovada bet. Good luck leeching off your parents the rest of your life you scumbag.
He got paid a million per start
He was rich before he went to the NFL. And I don't think you are correct that the 22nd pick in the draft gets a 16 mil/year contract, your numbers are off.*correction: found numbers on Forbes, looks like over the course of two years he would have made 8.3 per year without accounting for taxes. So, like you insinuated, still a decent haul.

**Correction of the correction: that was over the life of the contract. So it would have been $1.6/yr and $3.2 over two years. Certainly, not as sizable.

In all likelihood the police - who know far more about this situation than any of us - found her story to be filled with inconsistencies, and deemed Ms. Crowley to be neither credible nor reliable. If she had shown injuries consistent with her story the police would certainly have arrested Manziel and charged him with domestic battery - regardless of Ms. Crowley's wishes. She made similar claims about him hitting her in the roadside incident a few months ago with no evidence to back it up. There are a pattern of incidents where these two have a big blowup, the police come, she spins a terrifying tale, and then refuses to cooperate fully with authorities. Something obviously happened between the two of them, but what is anyone's guess. Manziel has problems, but I think it's pretty clear that this woman is no angel either.
and there we are

Mary Kay Cabot ‏@MaryKayCabot 4m4 minutes ago

Getting more bizarre: #Browns Manziel tells TMZ Sports he didn't strike Crowley, didn't threaten to kill her or himself 'It didn't happen.'
I'd say that's case closed given Manziel's track record of integrity.
Out of all the reasons that teams have not to sign him or want him anywhere near the team being a congenital liar might be a right at the top. Can't believe a word he says apparently.

Honestly think we're talking about a more serious issue that being an idiot or being immature.
QFT, from the Joseph Randle thread (one of the best and most succinct descriptions of this that I've read):

I feel like NFL career implosions all go through three phases:

1. The "knucklehead" phase, where they do something dumb but funny and basically harmless. It foreshadows future problems, but in the short-term just inspires a lot of fantasy team names. Examples: Najeh Davenport, Onterrio Smith

2. The "idiot" phase, where you find yourself being kind of mad at the guy for stupidly throwing away an NFL career. Examples: Ryan Mallett, Johnny Manziel right now

3. The "headcase" phase, where you stop being mad and start realizing there's something really wrong with him. Examples: Titus Young, Barrett Robbins

Randle has clearly gone from Phase 1 (stealing underwear last year) to Phase 2 (melting down after losing the job and then getting cut). This latest move has me worried that he may be moving on to Phase 3.

(I know some people may not believe in Phase 3, and just assume all these guys are idiots. If you feel that way, I defy you to read this profile of Young and not feel any sympathy for him. He's really sick.)
It's really, really rare for NFL players to get to Stage 2 and not eventually wind up in Stage 3. Cris Carter and Brandon Marshall are the only two counter-examples that come to mind.

I have a feeling that Manziel is barreling headlong into Stage 3 and, short of a serious intervention, he's going to end up in jail or worse by this time next year.

Honestly think we're talking about a more serious issue that being an idiot or being immature.
QFT, from the Joseph Randle thread (one of the best and most succinct descriptions of this that I've read):

1. The "knucklehead" phase, where they do something dumb but funny and basically harmless. It foreshadows future problems, but in the short-term just inspires a lot of fantasy team names. Examples: Najeh Davenport, Onterrio Smith

2. The "idiot" phase, where you find yourself being kind of mad at the guy for stupidly throwing away an NFL career. Examples: Ryan Mallett, Johnny Manziel right now

3. The "headcase" phase, where you stop being mad and start realizing there's something really wrong with him. Examples: Titus Young, Barrett Robbins

Randle has clearly gone from Phase 1 (stealing underwear last year) to Phase 2 (melting down after losing the job and then getting cut). This latest move has me worried that he may be moving on to Phase 3.

(I know some people may not believe in Phase 3, and just assume all these guys are idiots. If you feel that way, I defy you to read this profile of Young and not feel any sympathy for him. He's really sick.)
It's really, really rare for NFL players to get to Stage 2 and not eventually wind up in Stage 3. Cris Carter and Brandon Marshall are the only two counter-examples that come to mind.

I have a feeling that Manziel is barreling headlong into Stage 3 and, short of a serious intervention, he's going to end up in jail or worse by this time next year.
Or he could be the Cowboys Starting QB after another season ending Romo injury. That's right Cowboys super bowl with Johnny Football. You know you want it Jerruh.

Hey, when does some idiot show up to say nasty things about his ex-girlfriend?

Maybe Johnny claimed affluenza. It's worked before down there in Texas

Ouch. If an agent won't even tolerate him, does anyone really expect an NFL team? Thought the same before even the latest news, but gonna be awhile, if ever, before this guy ever sees the NFL again. Guys has far far serious matters than football. Hopefully he realizes that at some point.

Johnny Manziel's agent, Erik Burkhardt, has parted ways with the quarterback.
It's unusual to see the agent leaving the player. Most of the time, it's the other way around. But Burkhardt seems fed up with the off-field mess for his client, and Manziel has been unwilling to take control of his own life. Burkhardt says he's tried setting up meetings for Manziel with professionals, but Manziel has declined them. Manziel needs to pull himself out of the gutter.

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Good to see that his family is trying to help. Sometimes they're the only ones that can wrestle a guy down and help him straighten out.

Agent continuing to help him (just not representing) is good too.

Any thought of people overreacting or a setback and he has matured or him just being stiffler-esque and some frat boy or anything....is just whisked away when a Dad worries that much about his son.

That is a really good take about the stages of this sort of behavior and how to 'step-back' to take in a big picture view.

We don't know all of what happens in NFL locker rooms and certainly have no idea what they do away from the team so we don't really know how many players are struggling with any and all sorts of issues related to being gifted and given lots of money and access to women and adulation or performing on a 'very-public' stage where every mistake made on and off the field can be broken down in intricate detail.

Seems that teams who consistently win get away with much more than teams who consistently lose so Manziel was the perfect storm for the media to turn this into an absurd Kardashian story that they turn to when they have no other stories to exploit the mindless masses and get cheap clicks and page views.

Rotoworld:

Scott Petrak ct ‏@ScottPetrak

Ryan Leaf tells @DanPatrick looking at Johnny Manziel is like "holding up a mirror."
JFF should be terrified by this one. Every dad is going to worry. Bitter fans are going to h8. Media is going to blow anything out of proportion. But when Ryan Leaf starts piling on you know you're off the rails.

To answer the thread title. My money is Manziel either lands in rehab or a grave. Things are getting scary for him.

Users who are viewing this thread