Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Official Johnny Manziel Thread - participates in Fan Controlled Football: 'Feels like I'm super washed up'

Faust

Sports radio here has him becoming a Cowboy by the summer. Jerry Jones was sincere wanting him once he gets his life straightened out and supposedly the Cowboys have even offered some help(idk what, psychologist? trainer? nutritionist? Mom with a paddle?) and Manziel's family made a statement thanking them. 

He grew up wanting to play for the Cowboys and it's all pretty much pointing that way.

Jerry almost always has some Texas 3rd 4th string QB for preseason to attract fans to the games. Johnny Football coming home would suit this. No one is discussing more than being that texas preseason guy. No one saying Romo's replacement or any of that.

5 hours ago, massraider said:

Drew Rosenhaus now representing Manziel.  That should fix things.

This is a great move for Manziel, and this is Rosenhaus helping Manziel.  I'm kind of surprised that DR took him in, I'm sure that he did under a very strict set of parameters.  It doesn't mean anything yet, but if you're Manziel it's a start of something positive.  If he truly cares about rescuing his career, DR gives him some semblance of credibility and a reset button.   He has a ton of work to do before he is even considered by any GM, IMO.   I'm pulling for him.

On 3/12/2016 at 7:13 PM, Bri said:

Sports radio here has him becoming a Cowboy by the summer. Jerry Jones was sincere wanting him once he gets his life straightened out and supposedly the Cowboys have even offered some help(idk what, psychologist? trainer? nutritionist? Mom with a paddle?) and Manziel's family made a statement thanking them. 

He grew up wanting to play for the Cowboys and it's all pretty much pointing that way.

Jerry almost always has some Texas 3rd 4th string QB for preseason to attract fans to the games. Johnny Football coming home would suit this. No one is discussing more than being that texas preseason guy. No one saying Romo's replacement or any of that.

He does?

11 hours ago, tone1oc said:

This is a great move for Manziel, and this is Rosenhaus helping Manziel.  I'm kind of surprised that DR took him in, I'm sure that he did under a very strict set of parameters.  It doesn't mean anything yet, but if you're Manziel it's a start of something positive.  If he truly cares about rescuing his career, DR gives him some semblance of credibility and a reset button.   He has a ton of work to do before he is even considered by any GM, IMO.   I'm pulling for him.

You are surprised DR took him in?  Seriously?

4 hours ago, DallasDMac said:

Pretty sure that's the issue. I don't think he really cares about anything.

The evidence so far is you're right, except for partying and just having a good time.  He should be the poster boy for parents and coaches to show kids what happens when you waste your talent and fail to mature. 

On March 1, 2016 at 8:02 AM, bostonfred said:

Manziel isn't failing because of his lack of elite talent.   He's failing because of his elite lack of desire. 

Don't underestimate his lack of talent.

1 hour ago, pantherclub said:

You are surprised DR took him in?  Seriously?

Yes I am.  DR is highly respected, very much in demand and doesn't need the headache.  There isn't even a guarantee he'll receive a payday at this point. 

Just now, massraider said:

Looks like Terrell Owens and Desean Jackson sued him, is it possible that every agent gets sued eventually?  And it's not like those two are the first names that come to mind when I hear respect.  I was talking more about teams/FO's in that context, I thought it was a given that the players do.   But still, you are right, that small point that I made as part of a larger point that was topical to the conversation was not completely true.  I have no idea if he respected or not.  I should of said he's successfully negotiated around 270M (I think) in contracts during this NFL free agency period.  

Anyways, for Manziel I don't think its argueable he doesn't have much respect around the league.   DR has the weight to get him another shot and also the carrot to maybe get Manziel on track.   I'm not betting on it at all.  But in a sea of bad decisions and incidents, its something not negative, which is a positive.

20 hours ago, massraider said:

Drew Rosenhaus now representing Manziel.  That should fix things.

Worth a shot for a guy that has zillions of dollars. If he pans out, he gets some nice $ and they can market "johnny football" gear, if not he gets good vibes for trying to help a guy out.

Rosenhaus has probably known guys that were punks, alcoholics, lazy, poor students, poor eating habits and all sorts of issues. I'm curious what his wealth of contacts can do to help Johnny. Does he 'sell' it to a psychologist "you can be the guy that fixed johnny football" or whatever his process is?

I like that the agent is famous too and more wealthy forcing Johnny to check his big ego at the door. 

No skin off Rosenhaus to take him on, for sure.

If I was looking for someone to become involved with Johnny as an agent, I probably wouldn't pick the guy based out of Miami, that has a staggering client list.  

If Johnny doesn't work out, Roenhaus will forget his name by dinner time.  Get a young agent, with a small list of players, maybe.  A guy that can really focus on helping him, because he has more skin in the game.  Some young agent, trying to carve out his name, maybe.  I dunno, I don't think adding an agent is gonna be helpful either way.  

4 hours ago, FUBAR said:

He should be the poster boy for parents and coaches to show kids what happens when you waste your talent and fail to mature. 

You make millions of dollars, don't have to work hard and get to party all the time?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, massraider said:

No skin off Rosenhaus to take him on, for sure.

If I was looking for someone to become involved with Johnny as an agent, I probably wouldn't pick the guy based out of Miami, that has a staggering client list.  

If Johnny doesn't work out, Roenhaus will forget his name by dinner time.  Get a young agent, with a small list of players, maybe.  A guy that can really focus on helping him, because he has more skin in the game.  Some young agent, trying to carve out his name, maybe.  I dunno, I don't think adding an agent is gonna be helpful either way.  

jerry_maguire.jpeg

On ‎3‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 4:13 PM, Bri said:

Agreed.  I'm not sure what odds I'd get on Manziel making at least the Cowboy's practice squad, but I would be a likely better.

17 hours ago, Chaka said:

You make millions of dollars, don't have to work hard and get to party all the time?

I wouldn't be surprised if he squandered all of the money he made... Prob living off the parents now or will be soon in the future.

$8M from Cleveland, less 10% to agent and then tax, figure somewhere in the $4.5M range. I'd imagine he is as irresponsible with money as anyone out there. 2 years, $40k a week, I think he could've done that.

3 minutes ago, fantasycurse42 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if he squandered all of the money he made... Prob living off the parents now or will be soon in the future.

$8M from Cleveland, less 10% to agent and then tax, figure somewhere in the $4.5M range. I'd imagine he is as irresponsible with money as anyone out there. 2 years, $40k a week, I think he could've done that.

Agent fees in the NFL are 3% I think.  It's the lowest in all professional sports leagues.

3 minutes ago, Chaka said:

Agent fees in the NFL are 3% I think.  It's the lowest in all professional sports leagues.

Interesting, regardless, I think we can agree he either has or will destroy any wealthy amassed in the very near term.

11 minutes ago, fantasycurse42 said:

Interesting, regardless, I think we can agree he either has or will destroy any wealthy amassed in the very near term.

Its a cruel world that deniess him his best potential endorsement deals, but until cocaine is legalized and branded he is out of luck on future earnings. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Tool said:

on the eve of Cleveland’s finale for another lost season, he vanished. Several people, including Cleveland coaches, called him repeatedly, each time reaching his voicemail. Manziel, it turns out, was in Las Vegas, sporting a blonde wig, glued-on mustache and hoodie while telling people his name was “Billy".

On Monday, March 21, 2016 at 10:55 AM, fantasycurse42 said:

Lucky for him he comes from oil money, probably had a trust fund before he was even conceived. That's part of the problem he never will have to work at anything in his entire life.

I haven't seen tons of teammates come out and say they don't like the guy. In fact a lot of vets had his back going into last year. Does he have a substance problem? Yes, and he's addressed it once. If he can find a way to grow up, and develop some better life habits, he'll get another shot. He's a better than average talent in a QB starved league. Plus, America loves comeback stories!

19 hours ago, Faust said:

I get the feeling that Manziel doesn't want to go just anywhere that will have him as a backup (or whatever), he has to go to a marquis team or cool city. He's never linked to the Jags or the falcs or some other relatively low profile team, no it has to be the Cowboys, or L.A., or the Broncos.

Those teams have young established QB's. Romo is broken, LA is pounding the CASE KEENUM drum, and Denver has Sanchez on top of the depth chart.  If if if he gets another shot, he's going to go somewhere he's got a shot to play in the first 2 seasons.

8 hours ago, Hankmoody said:

Those teams have young established QB's. Romo is broken, LA is pounding the CASE KEENUM drum, and Denver has Sanchez on top of the depth chart.  If if if he gets another shot, he's going to go somewhere he's got a shot to play in the first 2 seasons.

Gonna go with: Has to be :sarcasm: but you did it in almost too low key of a manner.  If I didn't know that you were a solid poster who gives a lot of thought to his opinions, if far too critical/glass-is-half-empty with Reggie McKenzie and the Raiders, I would have just thought you were being stupid.  Nice work (sincerely).

Not sure what you're getting at.  No sarcasm at all. He's not linked to the two "low-key" teams you mentioned because they would have zero reason to look at a train wreck like Manziel.  Internet hacks trying to drum up clicks can at least look themselves in the mirror writing that teams desperate at QB "would consider" or "are a fit for" Manziel.

And I'm not glass-half-empty at all, I'm just a realist, but that's for another thread ;)

Chaka that was weird.

I don't think Hank was suggesting that the Raiders would be interested in Johnny. They are doing fine with Carr. I think that is what Hank was saying is that Johnny wants to go to a team where he can actually get a shot to compete for a starting gig. The Rams are moving to LA and they need a QB. So that could make sense. 

I am guessing perhaps you are a few rounds ahead. Cheers.

1 hour ago, Hankmoody said:

Not sure what you're getting at.  No sarcasm at all. He's not linked to the two "low-key" teams you mentioned because they would have zero reason to look at a train wreck like Manziel.  Internet hacks trying to drum up clicks can at least look themselves in the mirror writing that teams desperate at QB "would consider" or "are a fit for" Manziel.

And I'm not glass-half-empty at all, I'm just a realist, but that's for another thread ;)

Wait, you truly think the Rams and Broncos have "young established QBs"?  And you think Manziel wouldn't have a shot to start in either city?  No, I don't buy that.  I was sincere when I said I think you are too solid of a poster for that.  Tell me you're kidding.

1 hour ago, Biabreakable said:

Chaka that was weird.

I don't think Hank was suggesting that the Raiders would be interested in Johnny. They are doing fine with Carr. I think that is what Hank was saying is that Johnny wants to go to a team where he can actually get a shot to compete for a starting gig. The Rams are moving to LA and they need a QB. So that could make sense. 

I am guessing perhaps you are a few rounds ahead. Cheers.

The Raider comment only has to do with the fact that ol' Hank is a little doom'n'gloomy in the Raiders thread (completely glass-is-half-empty at best).  Didn't mean for anyone to think I was suggesting he thought Manziel>Carr on any level.  He's too good for that.

And I'm not damning with faint praise Hank.  Truly I'm not.  I disagree with you a whole lot but I do frequently respect your viewpoint.  Not always but frequently.

Edited by Chaka

• Faust changed the title to Official Johnny Manziel Thread - participates in Fan Controlled Football: 'Feels like I'm super washed up'