What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Johnny Manziel Thread (9 Viewers)

Ex-NFL QB Johnny Manziel has been involved in another mysterious car crash.
This time, Manziel's Nissan GTR was t-boned, damaging the driver's side. Manziel reported it to the police as a hit-and-run. The former No. 22 overall pick was a passenger in an alleged hit-and-run back in April. Manziel's offseason has been full of non-football events, and a change to that pattern doesn't seem imminent.

Source: TMZ Sports 
Jun 22 - 1:09 PM

Now enabling big $$$ Dad gets involved.  Best thing for this loser is that the money train stops including his parents if they really care.  Man I truly hate these players that piss away a chance we will never see and they think it is a given. .Manziel came into the league with great promise and pissed it away with his stupid "show me the money".  You are done John, Tebow has a better chance at cracking the NFL then Johnny loser.

Speaking to ESPN's Josina Anderson, Johnny Manziel's father said, "My son is a druggie and he needs help."
"Hopefully he doesn't die before he comes to his senses," said Paul Manziel. "I hate to say it but I hope he goes to jail. I mean, that would be the best place for him." This isn't the first time Manziel's father has publicly pleaded for Johnny to seek help and it probably won't be the last. Earlier this week, Manziel's lawyer Bob Hinton accidentally revealed to the Associated Press that he's seeking a plea deal in his domestic violence case. Things just keep getting worse for Johnny Football.

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Now enabling big $$$ Dad gets involved.  Best thing for this loser is that the money train stops including his parents if they really care.  Man I truly hate these players that piss away a chance we will never see and they think it is a given. .Manziel came into the league with great promise and pissed it away with his stupid "show me the money".  You are done John, Tebow has a better chance at cracking the NFL then Johnny loser.

Speaking to ESPN's Josina Anderson, Johnny Manziel's father said, "My son is a druggie and he needs help."
"Hopefully he doesn't die before he comes to his senses," said Paul Manziel. "I hate to say it but I hope he goes to jail. I mean, that would be the best place for him." This isn't the first time Manziel's father has publicly pleaded for Johnny to seek help and it probably won't be the last. Earlier this week, Manziel's lawyer Bob Hinton accidentally revealed to the Associated Press that he's seeking a plea deal in his domestic violence case. Things just keep getting worse for Johnny Football.

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter
Dad was more concerned with making money trademarking 'Johnny Football' than his sons wellbeing.

Porkchop Express said:
Dad was more concerned with making money trademarking 'Johnny Football' than his sons wellbeing.
Exactly. But now that he sees a tragic ending coming soon, he wants to try to act like he wanted to help him. 

Would it be better if his dad kept enabling him?
No. But may have been better to step up and be a dad a little earlier in life. Instead of spoiling the kid with your money and enabling him.  Where are all the quotes from the old man when the rest of us already knew he was a drunk and an idiot?

Ok, so daddy with the big bucks is saying jJohnny needs help. Who exactly does he think should do the helping?

msommer said:
Ok, so daddy with the big bucks is saying jJohnny needs help. Who exactly does he think should do the helping?
I think Johnny is quite old enough to seek the help he needs. Parents can't be expected to hold their kids hands forever. At some point you are responsible for yourself. Johnny is quite past the age where it is reasonable to expect that from him.

I think Johnny is quite old enough to seek the help he needs. Parents can't be expected to hold their kids hands forever. At some point you are responsible for yourself. Johnny is quite past the age where it is reasonable to expect that from him.
Johnny has clearly shown he can't handle that task. His dad acknowledges that. So it's ok to not only not help your addict child because he or she is over twentysomething (whatever your limit is) but to ask someone else to do it?

Johnny has clearly shown he can't handle that task. His dad acknowledges that. So it's ok to not only not help your addict child because he or she is over twentysomething (whatever your limit is) but to ask someone else to do it?
Perhaps he feels he's done all he can and that it has been ineffective? Perhaps he's hoping there are others that can help? Putting it all in his lap seems kind of a ####ty thing to do. Once again, Johnny is an adult. There's only so much a parent can do.

Pretty sure there is nothing dad, or anyone else, can do unless Johnny lets them.

For all we know the parents are trying to get him into rehab or whatever 24/7 and Johnny is just ignoring them.

either a lot of men without boys posting, or men who are just idiots posting, one of the two

young men make decisions - and its not always the parents fault. sometimes people just make a lot of wrong decisions for whatever reason, and it aint always because of something the parents did

either a lot of men without boys posting, or men who are just idiots posting, one of the two

young men make decisions - and its not always the parents fault. sometimes people just make a lot of wrong decisions for whatever reason, and it aint always because of something the parents did
Very true but a lot of what makes a person who they are is how they were raised.  The damage has already been done and he's on his own.  All they can do now is offer him support.  Maybe do an intervention of some sort.

Maybe if we stopped calling him Johnny and called him John it would wake him up to the fact that he is no longer a child but a grown man.

I thought first suspension is 2 games?
It doesn't matter anyway.  He won't be playing on any team this year and the suspension doesn't roll over.  So, if by some miracle he ends up on a team next year he can play right away.  It's a worthless suspension.

It doesn't matter anyway.  He won't be playing on any team this year and the suspension doesn't roll over.  So, if by some miracle he ends up on a team next year he can play right away.  It's a worthless suspension.
I thought suspensions were for the next set of games that a player was eligible for.  It shouldn't matter whether he's on a team now or in 2020, he will sit out four games.

He would have to be on an nfl team to serve a suspension from NFL games.
Not true.  Long ago the NFL decided that suspensions could happen while a player was a free agent. 

Otherwise, teams have little incentive to sign a player with a pending suspension, and it would in many cases prevent them from getting jobs.  Or so the reasoning went.

Not true.  Long ago the NFL decided that suspensions could happen while a player was a free agent. 

Otherwise, teams have little incentive to sign a player with a pending suspension, and it would in many cases prevent them from getting jobs.  Or so the reasoning went.
huh.  makes no sense to me but :thumbup:

I thought that one they join a team the suspension would have to be served. I believe there have been several players that didn't get signed because they faced a long suspension and then others get signed despite of it like Aldon Smith.

Didn't read the article but, based on the title, who exactly WAS expecting to see Manziel on a team for the 2016 season? I'd like the guy's name so I can make fun of him.
I know of at least one person who fits your query.  He goes by the name of "Johnny Manziel."

Someone said 'what if he isn't planning on playing? Dude is having the time of his life' and I can't shake that. Remove NFL and QB thoughts and rethink some of his partying. He's like living what every college kid dreams of-chucking money around at vegas, dating gorgeous chicks, renting sweet hotel rooms on the beach etc. 

I find him to be a fool in many ways. He has this immature-grow up and do your job, show some responsibility- vibe for me.

Assuming you're old enough- wouldn't you like to go back in time and do what he's doing with all that money? Not the stupid phrase but an actual YOLO thing that maybe we all should have considered more at age 22-23?

I'm not discounting his lack of maturity nor "time to grow up and get a real job."

I can't shake that 'what if he isn't planning on playing? Dude is having the time of his life' comment. It really fits here

Enabling him in what way?  Johnny doesn't have any substance issues, as people have been telling us in this thread for a long time now.  He's just a normal kid in his 20s, having fun and partying.
Can I jump in on this?

As a kid knowing an older alcoholic, as someone that knew alcoholics for much of my life- I always knew one or two.

In college, I suppose you could say I knew 50? 100? 1000? I mean so many would have met some criteria as an alcoholic. How come they're exempt? Do their bodies heal up/adjust better?

How many people did you know in college that did keg stands regularly or partied often? buddy that always had a beer ball or what not? Did any of them go to rehab? Need counseling?

It's like a rite or custom in our country to go to college, drink too much, and often times NOT pay consequences for it.

I had like a dozen hangovers in college and get them on the regular now if I drink. If I drink every night, I guarantee someone says "you have a problem" but when I drank in college it was "holy cr you passed!"

Is the body different at that age? Can it recover better?

See I'm convinced if you do some alcoholism study of people age 24-25 and up, you'll have XYZ results and it'll be predictable. But if you looked at 18-24, you could have very very different results.

In general. I know some things, we all do, and we've all heard stories. I only mean in general.

Did you drink to much in college? How was rehab for you? (Sorry just trying to make a point) I think this is where the disconnect is in this thread. 

Some guy can be commenting and remembering he drank 1000 beers (really 13 but he claims 1000) in college one night and another 1000 the next night and never had any problems come of it.

He isnt in college anymore and cant re-persue elite athletics once he decides hes lived it up. To compare him to us isnt quite accurate here. His window is closing, unlike us at age 22 or 24. 

Users who are viewing this thread