Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Official Johnny Manziel Thread - participates in Fan Controlled Football: 'Feels like I'm super washed up'

Faust

• 1 month later...

Free agent Johnny Manziel said he has had a couple conversations with NFL teams about returning to the league.

Manziel met with Saints coach Sean Payton during Super Bowl week, but nothing came of it. Speaking with the Dallas Morning News' Jon Machota, Manziel sounded remorseful about throwing away his football career, saying he knows "the mistakes that I made" and misses playing football "a ton." Still, he is "hopeful" he will get another shot. "I think that I made some progress in that regard," Manziel said. "Whenever I get a call, I'll do whatever I can to make the most of it." It remains unlikely Manziel gets another chance in the NFL, but it at least sounds like he has his personal life heading in the right direction.

Source: Jon Machota on Twitter

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Free agent QB Johnny Manziel worked out for the CFL's Hamilton Tiger-Cats last week.

The Ticats came away convinced Manziel isn't ready to return to football, physically or mentally. "Too many red flags," one source told TSN. Wanting to see if Manziel was ready to dedicate himself to football and become a face of the franchise, the Ticats came away with "a resounding no" to answer those questions. Manziel remains a long shot to ever play in the NFL again.

Source: TSN

Aug 30 - 12:14 PM

6 minutes ago, QuizGuy66 said:

incidentally Hamilton is 0-8 and is averaging less than 20 points per game 

-QG

That whole East Division has been crap. West has 3 teams with 7 wins, and even the last team in the West has a better division than my East-leading yet pathetic Argos. 

And yeah, if the utter dumpster fire that the T-Cats are don't see any value in Manziel, it's safe to say his football job prospects are limited to waterboy/jock launderer or selling cleats at Foot Locker.

20 hours ago, QuizGuy66 said:

-QG

You know you've hit rock bottom when you're 0-8, and you bring in Art Briles and Johnny Manziel to potentially be the faces of your franchise.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, QuizGuy66 said:

-QG

I'm a little surprised because their passing game was pretty good last year, but now it seems they stink.

Hamilton put in FA rights claims for all of Manziel, Griffith and Kaepernick.

I'll give Manziel credit for trying the CFL though, it's what he would need to do if he wanted his career back.

This is a little like the Kaepernick issue. Yes Hamilton stinks this year but last year they were pretty decent and Collaros and Masoli were pretty good (7-11, 5500+ yards passing, 33 TD / 20 INT), are they really going to cut one of their primary QBs for a free agent mid-season? No, they're not.

Edited by SaintsInDome2006

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Johnny Manziel has been cleared to sign in the Canadian Football League.

The Hamilton Tiger-Cats, who worked out Manziel in August, own his CFL rights. It's unclear if the sides will now proceed toward a contract, but it seems like that will be the case. The No. 22 overall pick of the 2014 draft, Manziel turned 25 earlier this month.

Source: Profootballtalk on NBCSports.com 

Dec 28 - 1:06 PM

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

This is terrific. I've never liked the guy but this is the first time I think he's serious about playing football. I wish him the best.

Maybe he should spend less time trolling the team that gave him a chance and that he screwed over then. All I see is a still immature dickbag that couldn't make it in the NFL and still hasn't grown up.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, DallasDMac said:

Synopsis of article: Johnny says it isn't his fault, it's just how he is wired. So the lack of accountability continues.

The sooner this idiot disappears into obscurity the better. His trolling tweet to the Browns proved to me (as if I really needed it) what a childish jackass he is. He has a rich old man so he'll be fine. Unfortunately.

47 minutes ago, Joe Summer said:

Even a bipolar person has moments of clarity where they should be able to recognize their self-destructive behavior. It's unfortunate that Manziel still does not seem to understand that, because it just means that he's heading for a relapse.

You clearly haven't dealt with bipolar in your life.  It doesn't work that way at all.  Those things just seem normal to an undiagnosed/medicated bipolar patient, much like most other mental illnesses where the patient has no proper idea just how ill they really are.  They have no recognition that what they're doing is in any way abnormal, let alone negative or destructive.  And when they aren't in the mania phase doing those destructive things they are in a depressive phase and are pretty much incapable of recognizing it anyway.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Hankmoody said:

You clearly haven't dealt with bipolar in your life.  It doesn't work that way at all.  Those things just seem normal to an undiagnosed/medicated bipolar patient, much like most other mental illnesses where the patient has no proper idea just how ill they really are.  They have no recognition that what they're doing is in any way abnormal, let alone negative or destructive.  And when they aren't in the mania phase doing those destructive things they are in a depressive phase and are pretty much incapable of recognizing it anyway.

In my experience, people use bipolar and narcissistic as if they're common. I think narcissists are like 5% of the population and bipolar 8%? I forget but if I go through my social media timelines, you'd think it was up near 70-80% for each. 

Many years ago, I knew someone with cognitive dissonance disorder and I thought they were putting on an act until the day I saw them looking like a zombie on all their medicine.

What I'm getting at is society has really muddied the waters here. I used to know a thing or two about this but now I'm pretty clueless and confused.

Since we know a lot about Johnny, can you tell if he really is bipolar? Make an educated guess?

I think your description about a lack of recognition could be taken to be a lack of accountability. Our jails aren't filled up with bipolar people that thought they did nothing wrong, so could you explain this? How would all this impact a football player?

13 hours ago, Bri said:

In my experience, people use bipolar and narcissistic as if they're common. I think narcissists are like 5% of the population and bipolar 8%? I forget but if I go through my social media timelines, you'd think it was up near 70-80% for each. 

Many years ago, I knew someone with cognitive dissonance disorder and I thought they were putting on an act until the day I saw them looking like a zombie on all their medicine.

What I'm getting at is society has really muddied the waters here. I used to know a thing or two about this but now I'm pretty clueless and confused.

Since we know a lot about Johnny, can you tell if he really is bipolar? Make an educated guess?

I think your description about a lack of recognition could be taken to be a lack of accountability. Our jails aren't filled up with bipolar people that thought they did nothing wrong, so could you explain this? How would all this impact a football player?

It's both, and I'm not suggesting the disorder excuses the behavior in any real way, only that it contributes to it.  And I'm not suggesting Manziel not be held accountable - he should be, has been, and will be.  Not one is going to just offer him their franchise QB spot in 2018.  But one can hold someone accountable while at the same time taking into consideration mitigating circumstances and recognizing that they can be overcome or handled.  If Manziel did what he did and were shown to have CTE the crowd would definitely cut him some slack - for good reason.  Bipolar disorder is not functionally different - the patient's brain functions differently.

Regarding your comment about our jails and recognition, here's a very simplified description of bipolar disorder from Wiki:

Bipolar disorder, previously known as manic depression, is a mental disorder that causes periods of depression and periods of elevated mood.[3][4] The elevated mood is significant and is known as mania or hypomania, depending on its severity, or whether symptoms of psychosis are present.[3] During mania, an individual behaves or feels abnormally energetic, happy, or irritable.[3] Individuals often make poorly thought out decisions with little regard to the consequences.[4]

So while they might after-the-fact recognize what they did was wrong and even feel remorse, it's very common for someone to not recognize it in the moment of their mania.  And without a proper diagnosis and treatment (which may or may not include meds) a person can really struggle to come to terms with "why" they keep behaving as they do.

Now I get that this sounds like a real fine line between "normal" behavior and a mental illness.  A whole ton of us partied as 21 year olds, and a lot of us probably did so to some detrimental effect.  Does that make every college student ever bipolar?  Of course it doesn't, because while we probably missed tests, cheated on a crush, vandalized a restroom, overslept for a job interview, or otherwise f'd up our 21 year old version of life, not many of us continued that behavior over and over and over and over for years and years and years and years until it costs us all of the shots we'd get at a productive life.  Most of us "got it" before then and that "fine line" wasn't ever really in sight.  But someone with bipolar disorder by definition lacks some level of the ability to "get it".

I also get that people are skeptical regarding Manziel and think he's just creating a cover for himself - and I don't dismiss that possibility in any way.  Maybe he is, and shame on him if so because he's cheapening what is a horrible affliction for many people.  But maybe he's not, and if he's not, I would hope people understand what bipolar people go through.  I don't think he "deserves" anything as a result of having the condition either way, I just hope he finds balance in his life.

• Like 1

You know, we watched Brandon Marshall effing up his life for a time period, but not to the extent that Manziel did.

Marshall is bipolar, he turned his life around.....he "got it" in some regard as to how to turn his life around.    Look at Marshall now, easily a guy that you rooted for, turned it around in the locker room, on the field, heck, even on his NFL show.

There is the roadmap.    Reach out to Marshall and follow his blueprint.    Imo, pretty easy to at least reach out and say, "please help me."

I don't think he will though.....

• Like 1

18 hours ago, domvin said:

You know, we watched Brandon Marshall effing up his life for a time period, but not to the extent that Manziel did.

Marshall is bipolar, he turned his life around.....he "got it" in some regard as to how to turn his life around.    Look at Marshall now, easily a guy that you rooted for, turned it around in the locker room, on the field, heck, even on his NFL show.

There is the roadmap.    Reach out to Marshall and follow his blueprint.    Imo, pretty easy to at least reach out and say, "please help me."

Marshall had Borderline Personality Disorder. 

22 hours ago, domvin said:

I don't think too many people are rooting for Marshall any more.  Every team he's been on the locker room turned to crap and he could never keep his mouth shut.  There's a reason players with his talent get moved to a lot of different teams.

I'm skeptical that bipolar sufferers in the mania stage board long flights (remaining "normal" during flight) to attend parties in distant party places. They tend to not exactly be thinking straight enough to book an airline, limo, and such. Too organized. Trying to be the life of a party in their local location, sure. Planning to be manic... not so realistic. I could be wrong and am wrong often...

8 hours ago, Riffraff said:

I'm skeptical that bipolar sufferers in the mania stage board long flights (remaining "normal" during flight) to attend parties in distant party places. They tend to not exactly be thinking straight enough to book an airline, limo, and such. Too organized. Trying to be the life of a party in their local location, sure. Planning to be manic... not so realistic. I could be wrong and am wrong often...

Mania often manifests itself in the formation of grand plans, and a belief that one can accomplish amazing things.  Long-range schemes like job changes to get rich are not uncommon.  Impulsive spending or gambling is also not common.

I don't thnk the airline ticket is that much of an obstacle, since a manic isn't likely to be carefully price shopping.  And for someone as rich as Manziel, the limo is part of his normal course of life...not the unusual challenge it my be for you or me.

• Faust changed the title to Official Johnny Manziel Thread - participates in Fan Controlled Football: 'Feels like I'm super washed up'