What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Johnny Manziel Thread (4 Viewers)

Hankmoody said:
He is, with 2 years of accrued service.  Teams can have up to 4 guys with that much seniority.  I doubt he'd be saying that if Manziel weren't eligible.
didn’t realize that.  

interesting.  

also, i wouldn’t put it past him to not understand the practice squad rules.  

It's both, and I'm not suggesting the disorder excuses the behavior in any real way, only that it contributes to it.  And I'm not suggesting Manziel not be held accountable - he should be, has been, and will be.  Not one is going to just offer him their franchise QB spot in 2018.  But one can hold someone accountable while at the same time taking into consideration mitigating circumstances and recognizing that they can be overcome or handled.  If Manziel did what he did and were shown to have CTE the crowd would definitely cut him some slack - for good reason.  Bipolar disorder is not functionally different - the patient's brain functions differently.

Regarding your comment about our jails and recognition, here's a very simplified description of bipolar disorder from Wiki:

So while they might after-the-fact recognize what they did was wrong and even feel remorse, it's very common for someone to not recognize it in the moment of their mania.  And without a proper diagnosis and treatment (which may or may not include meds) a person can really struggle to come to terms with "why" they keep behaving as they do.

Now I get that this sounds like a real fine line between "normal" behavior and a mental illness.  A whole ton of us partied as 21 year olds, and a lot of us probably did so to some detrimental effect.  Does that make every college student ever bipolar?  Of course it doesn't, because while we probably missed tests, cheated on a crush, vandalized a restroom, overslept for a job interview, or otherwise f'd up our 21 year old version of life, not many of us continued that behavior over and over and over and over for years and years and years and years until it costs us all of the shots we'd get at a productive life.  Most of us "got it" before then and that "fine line" wasn't ever really in sight.  But someone with bipolar disorder by definition lacks some level of the ability to "get it".

I also get that people are skeptical regarding Manziel and think he's just creating a cover for himself - and I don't dismiss that possibility in any way.  Maybe he is, and shame on him if so because he's cheapening what is a horrible affliction for many people.  But maybe he's not, and if he's not, I would hope people understand what bipolar people go through.  I don't think he "deserves" anything as a result of having the condition either way, I just hope he finds balance in his life.
I've known a few bi-polar people which is similar to staying in a Holiday Inn last night but consistent to all was contrition after a manic period but inability/unwillingness to "course correct" the next time. When it's not you and you're just repeatedly living in the blast radius, it starts to feel like a get out of jail free card type mentality. You want them to preemptively manage it but (these people at least) didn't. Being on their meds appeared to be a largely selfless act. They felt like crap but tried to do it for the people around them. 

No word if Manziel intends to wear a helmet again during his workout.

Free agent Johnny Manziel will throw during the University of San Diego's Pro Day on Thursday.

Self-reportedly sober, Manziel is attempting to resurrect his NFL career. In addition to this Pro Day, the quarterback will also participate in the Spring League, a four-team, two-week showcase for free agents in April. If he fails to convince an NFL team to sign him, Manziel could land in the CFL.

Source: Bruce Feldman on Twitter 

Mar 22 - 8:47 AM

Johnny Manziel will have about 35 throws to wide receivers and tight ends here at University of San Diego pro day. He's been training with QB guru George Whitefield down here in San Diego.

Eric D. Williams, ESPN Staff Writer

Performing at the University of San Diego's Pro Day on Thursday, free agent Johnny Manziel completed 36-of-38 passes and reportedly had a "strong day" in front of representatives from 12 NFL teams.

Manziel looked to be in good shape and generated positive reviews despite throwing in "light rain." Manziel said has an offer from a CFL team and is well aware he still must prove himself before returning to the big leagues. Still only 25 years old, Manziel has sounded humbled after partying himself out of the pros. He recently appeared on Andrew Hawkins and Joe Thomas' podcast and apologized to both ex-Browns for blowing his first opportunity and wasting their time.

Related: Browns

Source: Eric Williams on Twitter 

Mar 22 - 2:11 PM

Good 'ol Johnny Football. He'd make a good used car salesman.

Says all the right things until you give him your money ....

then it's party time.

Unfortunately his 1st NFL pay day has run out. Needs another contract now to fund his fun.

Blows my mind when guys "make it" and then don't give 110%. Typically booze, drugs, or mental illness to blame.

In Manziels case, likely all 3.

Bossman said:
Good 'ol Johnny Football. He'd make a good used car salesman.

Says all the right things until you give him your money ....

then it's party time.

Unfortunately his 1st NFL pay day has run out. Needs another contract now to fund his fun.

Blows my mind when guys "make it" and then don't give 110%. Typically booze, drugs, or mental illness to blame.

He didn't need the first payday.

At least get the hate straight.

Agree to disagree. I'm thinking his parents have cut him off.

--------------

CBS story that ran just over a year ago:

Although Johnny Football is done with the NFL for now, he definitely seems to be enjoying his NFL money. The former first-round pick celebrated his 24th birthday this week, and he did it in style. According to the New York Post's Page Six, Manziel spent roughly $35,000 in South Florida while celebrating his birthday, which was on Dec. 6.

If you're wondering how many more years Manziel can afford to throw $35,000 birthday parties, the answer is probably a lot. The first-round pick earned roughly $5.53 million during his two years with the Browns.
Of course, maybe Manziel just went all out as a way to spite his dad. Back in February, Manziel's dad said that his son wouldn't live to see his 24th birthday if he didn't get professional help.

--------------

Doesn't sound like words from a Dad that's giving an allowance. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/johnny-manziel-reportedly-drops-about-35000-celebrating-his-birthday/

Agree to disagree. I'm thinking his parents have cut him off.

--------------

CBS story that ran just over a year ago:

Although Johnny Football is done with the NFL for now, he definitely seems to be enjoying his NFL money. The former first-round pick celebrated his 24th birthday this week, and he did it in style. According to the New York Post's Page Six, Manziel spent roughly $35,000 in South Florida while celebrating his birthday, which was on Dec. 6.

If you're wondering how many more years Manziel can afford to throw $35,000 birthday parties, the answer is probably a lot. The first-round pick earned roughly $5.53 million during his two years with the Browns.
Of course, maybe Manziel just went all out as a way to spite his dad. Back in February, Manziel's dad said that his son wouldn't live to see his 24th birthday if he didn't get professional help.

--------------

Doesn't sound like words from a Dad that's giving an allowance. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/johnny-manziel-reportedly-drops-about-35000-celebrating-his-birthday/
I'm familiar with the family here.  

He never needed the first payday, and he hasn't burned through the first payday.

What there is for you to disagree with, I'm shuked.

eta - your quotes are all out of chronological order.  The dad said that well before that date.   nm, i see the story acknowledges it is digging to a year prior to this year old quote to add that spin.  :lmao:  

etaa - Manziel is 25.  Looks like he made it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no problem with you hating on him.. he deserves it.

Just seems there is plenty to hate without pulling random ill informed crap out of your rear.  :thumbup:

You're obviously "in the know"....

Maybe you could clarify this statement by telling us where his money came from that he could be spending $5000 on bottles of champagne... to the tune of a $35k birthday party for himself.

How about this story of him causing $30k in damages to a house that he rented. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/heres-how-johnny-manziel-did-32k-in-damage-to-a-45-million-house/

... and the stories of his elaborate spending and partying in Vegas, etc.

You're claiming that this wasn't NFL money ... and the article that I quoted was pulled from my ######.  

Do enlighten us as to where an unemployed 24yo has this type of money to blow if it is not his NFL money.

If Vick can get a job with fox doing pregame football, I’m sure Johnny can get a job doing college analysis. I don’t believe he will get another chance in the nfl. 

Even if he gets his head on straight, he is nothing more than a backup NFL passer at best.  Seems too risky to put this bozo on your team as a backup, as it will create a circus.  Why bring on that distraction? 

Even if he gets his head on straight, he is nothing more than a backup NFL passer at best.  Seems too risky to put this bozo on your team as a backup, as it will create a circus.  Why bring on that distraction? 
this (curses or insults could be said here) guy is fun to watch play football. Tebow was too most times. As you can tell by this thread and so many tweets, he should be a memory of a guy that flopped, but ...nope. We still talk about him.

I can't stand the backup QB market. It bothers me and the news and articles where a team should sign player X just feed this annoyance. I'm sick of Geno Smith. Was he ever good in the NFL? Mark Sanchez was interesting as like a first or second year guy. Has he had a good game since. EJ Manuel, cmon the Bills had "no one" and didn't want to play him. Do Josh McCown and Ryan Fitzpatrick argue about which losing team they're gonna play for? Matt Moore is 44 not 34, how is he just 34? Throw in Derek Anderson and I wonder what Chris Weinke is doing these days. AJ McCarron did nothing for 3 or 4 years, nothing! And teams wanted him moreso than these perennial losers. Chad Henne is like 5 wins 30 losses in the last seven years. How is that good? Did you see Jay Cutler smiling after an INT? I'd have cut him that second. "Matt Cassel is the best available" has to be the most pathetic football quote ever. Brock Osweiler couldn't win a single game last year despite playing for a very good team.

I would rather ANY college QB over all these Jets, Bears, and Browns. I don't care who. Bonus points if the guy runs around and is athletic. 

Traditionalists will sit here and discuss their arm and ability to read an NFL defense. Seriously, because all those guys throw it right to the DB. It doesn't even look like it was intended for the WR. 

All I want when a backup comes in is hope. I don't have to have any hope for a 3-4 game stretch but I mean hope for a quarter or a half. I guess I'd like to read that the player did something/anything in college, that's it. 

Who is good in the Arena league or the CFL? Sign them

I loved Randall Cobb in college. He could play QB. Trade for him and put him in. His WR salary is probably far lower than most QBs. Has Armanti Edwards hung it up or is he in the CFL? Let's go back in time and actually try him at QB. My goodness was he awesome in college. I bet Terrelle Pryor is the Jets best QB right now. Matt Jones did some coke, gained some weight, and was out of the NFL "like that." How old is he? He could throw the rock and ran pretty good for a giraffe. Pick a know it all announcer on TV and suit him up.

I think I said this to you in the Tyrod Taylor thread GR. He is a 1000 times better than all of these guys that fold like card houses and throw to the DB. Is he great compared to Aaron Rodgers, heck no! But we're comparing him to these loser backups that stink.

That Webb guy in Carolina. I read the negative articles and how he could get cut last summer. How is this even possible? He ran around and around and finally threw a completion. He ran and threw short passes where a shovel would have been an option. He ran for a first. He threw the duckiest lob ever but it went to the WR. I absolutely loved that guy's can do attitude last summer. He marched the Panthers up N down the field very well.

We are way too obsessed with arms and ability to answer football Qs- no one discusses results anymore. 

If I were a GM, I would rather Johnny Manziel than a QB that is 5-30 over the last seven years. I'd take my chances that Manziel could win more than that. I'd walk around with this little kid noisemaker that makes a laughing noise and play that every time he asked to be a starter or a reporter asked if he would. When my starter got hurt though, I know that lil bugger would run around and sling it. That's all I'm looking for.

The only reason I'd give him a second (or 35th) chance is because he seems to admit he was a loser previously and changed his ways. No one above does. The backup QB position is so bad that I would almost prefer to hear that the backup that threw four INTs was suspended for drug use. At least it would explain things. 

When guys lose time and time again and throw INTs time and time again, it appears there are no standards. It's like some sort of Southern, good ol boy network

Ghost Rider said:
He won't be a distraction if he proves he can lay his head low for a year to regain some respect while showing off his skills.  And yes he does have some interesting skills that NFL teams would absolutely want.  If he truly has changed his lifestyle I think it'll be a year before a team gives him a chance.  I'd want to see some humility, while still working on his craft, before I could accept him on a roster.  

Bri said:

The only reason I'd give him a second (or 35th) chance is because he seems to admit he was a loser previously and changed his ways. No one above does. The backup QB position is so bad that I would almost prefer to hear that the backup that threw four INTs was suspended for drug use. At least it would explain things. ....
Here is where I have a major problem with the guy ... and I'm sure so does every sane GM.

When Johnny Football was done with his college career and pimping himself to be drafted ... the question was asked of him, I'm sure dozens of times ... "what about the partying?"

He said all of the right things. Something to the effect ... "party time is over, this is my career now" ....  and sounded like his priorities were right. Sounded very sincere and convincing. (little did we realize, he's obviously been slinging the bs for quite a while. Much experience at such a young age. Duped all of us)

What we learned (fans and NFL GM's) is that this kid is a greasy used car salesman ... says what you want to hear and then he's all about himself. 

How could any sane GM read this and even consider bringing this guy into your locker room? ... https://nypost.com/2016/04/13/johnny-manziels-agent-get-help-or-im-gone/

Using what we already know about Johnny Football, who couldn't "not party" his first go around in the NFL and then continued down that path for 2 years after ....didn't give a rats rectum about being out of the league.

the big question that GM's are facing, what's more likely to happen if he gets a $1m contract with an NFL team;

a) stays sober and becomes a viable NFL QB for several years

b) gets his party back on

50/50 shot here? If I'm a GM, I'm not risking $1m in cap hit ... and more importantly, a roster spot, on a 50/50 shot. 

Hate to destroy the false narrative but....

=============================

Albert Breer‏Verified account @AlbertBreer 13h13 hours ago

Albert Breer Retweeted Business Insider

Again, no teams sent anyone to San Diego to watch Manziel. It was a bunch of area scouts there for USD Pro Day. Headlines like this are bunk.

It doesn't truly blow my mind that this happens all the time. Typical guy coming into the NFL is still unbelievably young -- hell the average offense age in the NFL last year was 26.8, but with rookies' age averaging in the low 20s, we're not talking about guys with a lot of life lessons and earned maturity. These are still kids, and ones I'd argue that have been largely sheltered from repercussions of their actions.

As such, I can totally see how a guy who has been pampered through his high school and college years given that he was the star QB suddenly find himself not knowing how to manage aspects of life in the NFL -- where the spotlight shines brighter, enabling only is heightened, and where the wrong choices can land you in hotter water faster. So having guys finally achieve their dream only to get caught up in the many downsides a life with sudden influx of money, attention, fame, etc. is understandable. And I believe in second chances.

Where it ISN'T understandable is repeat offenders -- guys like Manziel, Gordon, Aldon Smith, etc. -- guys who have gotten not just a second chance but 3rds, 4ths, etc. and still can't hold it together. Not minimizing underlying mechanisms that could make this truly hard (alcoholism, underlying mental issues, etc.), but after the first second chance, if turning your life around at that point and making the most out of your chances while you can isn't a priority to you, you will continue to fail. You need to be ready to change. And it's clear that guys like Manziel, with so many chances to turn it around, is not.

So hearing things from him about needing a last shot -- even self-aware things like this is his 35th chance -- fall on my deaf ears. The guy has had his second shot (and more), wasn't able to prioritize what he needed to prioritize when he needed to prioritize it, so I truly don't think he deserves that shot. Let the press ink, attention, and opportunity fall to some UDFA working his tail off on the edge of practice quads for the last few years get a chance. Not a guy like Manziel who has been afforded far too many chances and didn't have the fortitude or courage or whatever to turn it around.

pantherclub said:
^ woah dude.  ease up on the thesis 
Not a rant against you @pantherclub, but I wish we didn't live in an age where how something is said (packaged into polarizing 140-character snippets) means much more than the substance of what is said, regardless of length. A downside I see in general to the times we live in: with so many things attracting our shortening attention span, I'd wager way less kids are reading books than viewing memes and YouTube clips. The nature of being able to ingest, understand, formulate opinion/counter-opinion, etc. over a long-form discourse like a book is being lost, when it has so much applicability to being able to navigate all the other long-form narrative arcs you come across in life (relating to political discourse, longitudinal scientific discourse, even discourse and arcs that occurs in long term relationships). It's sad to me, especially when I see it manifest itself in an opinion being dismissed simply because it was expressed in longer form text, and as such may not have been read at all. /offsoapbox.

I read you, @Bri , and while I think you have a good take on teams taking chances on upside unproven talent that have delivered results, even if only at the college level, than choosing a safer but uninspired and potentially talent-poor pool of older QB retreads, I do think having experience at the NFL level is tangible. The game is so much different than college and other leagues in terms of speed, strength, ability, etc. and that it factors into the equation when GMs are deciding their backup spots. If the culture of the league is that wins are the only thing that matter, and a few losses mean the entire staff gets ousted, a relatively talent-poor QB with the ability to run an NFL offense where there is a chance to keep them in games (i.e. Hundley) may be much preferable over a guy who has way better talent at the college/CFL/XFL level who may not be as used to the NFL flow and where costly mistakes lead to game-losing errors.

It's more an issue with being risk averse - which many teams are at the pro level - than a network of ole boys favoring the retreads.

Hate to destroy the false narrative but....

=============================

Albert Breer‏Verified account @AlbertBreer 13h13 hours ago

Albert Breer Retweeted Business Insider

Again, no teams sent anyone to San Diego to watch Manziel. It was a bunch of area scouts there for USD Pro Day. Headlines like this are bunk.
see but he put this qualifier in there= sent to watch Manziel. No one was sent, but there were representatives from 13 NFL teams there and they saw Manziel. 

Here is where I have a major problem with the guy ... and I'm sure so does every sane GM.

When Johnny Football was done with his college career and pimping himself to be drafted ... the question was asked of him, I'm sure dozens of times ... "what about the partying?"

He said all of the right things. Something to the effect ... "party time is over, this is my career now" ....  and sounded like his priorities were right. Sounded very sincere and convincing. (little did we realize, he's obviously been slinging the bs for quite a while. Much experience at such a young age. Duped all of us)

What we learned (fans and NFL GM's) is that this kid is a greasy used car salesman ... says what you want to hear and then he's all about himself. 

How could any sane GM read this and even consider bringing this guy into your locker room? ... https://nypost.com/2016/04/13/johnny-manziels-agent-get-help-or-im-gone/

Using what we already know about Johnny Football, who couldn't "not party" his first go around in the NFL and then continued down that path for 2 years after ....didn't give a rats rectum about being out of the league.

the big question that GM's are facing, what's more likely to happen if he gets a $1m contract with an NFL team;

a) stays sober and becomes a viable NFL QB for several years

b) gets his party back on

50/50 shot here? If I'm a GM, I'm not risking $1m in cap hit ... and more importantly, a roster spot, on a 50/50 shot. 
that was two years ago. I agree for the most part but the QB market stinks.

I think Joe Thomas' view holds significant weight. Apparently they didn't just talk during the apology but had a lengthy conversation sometime after. I would guess NFL teams are calling the Browns and (however they work around tampering rules) finding out what Joe thought of Manziel. Manziel has been out of the NFL so long that probably very few even kept in touch with him. Here's this wonderful, well-respected veteran that knows the NFL all too well and how players should behave. Add in that he was a shmoo when he played with Joe and ...yeah I would guess Joe is the perfect guy to ask if he thinks Manziel should get another chance

Why is it that more often than not, extraordinarly long posts tend to do the exact opposite of what the author intended?  Instead of offering clarity that they tend to stray and wander off into the weeds?  There is great value in being concise.

hi flamer

Users who are viewing this thread