Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Official Johnny Manziel Thread - participates in Fan Controlled Football: 'Feels like I'm super washed up'

Faust

2 hours ago, Faust said:

There will be ball boys there too.  They will throw some balls.  The scouts that are there will see those throws, but that does not mean they are there to watch those throws as the ball boys return balls back to the hands of the coaches snapping the ball to the relevant Q.B.'s.  Manziel had his shot with one of the few believers he could find.  He crapped all over them.  while doing so he also confirmed that he is too small and too inaccurate, in addition to too immature.  His protestations of having changed are the same as we have heard a dozen times before from him.  He now has a "boy who cried wolf" problem in that even if he happens to be sincere now only a fool would believe him.  Regardless, and this is the key thing, in spite of being an exciting college Q.B. he lacks pro tools, pro size, pro arm strength, pro body strength, and a leadership temperament.  Yes he can get into a pro day at his alma mater, but unless he can grow several inches, change his history, learn to be more accurate, and change his temperament he is no pro Q.B.  I would not want him on my flag football team.  If he wanted to arrange the after party I might attend, if it was all on his dime.

Edited by Ditkaless Wonders
  • Like 1

I think it is an opportunity for some team willing to take a chance. I get the unwillingness to take on the distraction of Manziel, but in a league starved to QB play he could represent a decent trade value. Sign him, play him in preseason, if he shows well trade him to a team desperate for WB play. If he doesn't show well cut him. 

2 hours ago, 32 Counter Pass said:

I think it is an opportunity for some team willing to take a chance. I get the unwillingness to take on the distraction of Manziel, but in a league starved to QB play he could represent a decent trade value. Sign him, play him in preseason, if he shows well trade him to a team desperate for WB play. If he doesn't show well cut him. 

You think someone will trade for him?  Come on man

5 minutes ago, 32 Counter Pass said:

If Manziel showed well in preseason I have no doubt there would be an opportunity to garner a draft pick for his services. Osweiler is exhibit A as to how much demand a QB carries.

no offense but you are crazy. nobody is trading for hom based on preseason 

12 hours ago, Bronco Billy said:

How is Kaepernick doing?  You can only burn so many bridges.

The situations are much different. Kaep's protest can are linked (right or wrong) to a drop in NFL revenue and bad league PR. That is a mortal sin for owners. 

Manziel, on the other hand, was his own worst enemy. He seems to be on the straight and narrow now. Also, there are new reports that Manziel is willing to play in the CFL if he doesn't get an opportunity in the NFL. That shows a level of sincerity about wanting to play football that Kaep hasn't shown to date. 

Look, I am not trying to lead the Manziel bandwagon, only pointing out it is an opportunity for some team to gain value (acquiring a future draft pick for "free").

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 32 Counter Pass said:

The situations are much different. Kaep's protest can are linked (right or wrong) to a drop in NFL revenue and bad league PR. That is a mortal sin for owners. 

Manziel, on the other hand, was his own worst enemy. He seems to be on the straight and narrow now. Also, there are new reports that Manziel is willing to play in the CFL if he doesn't get an opportunity in the NFL. That shows a level of sincerity about wanting to play football that Kaep hasn't shown to date. 

Look, I am not trying to lead the Manziel bandwagon, only pointing out it is an opportunity for some team to gain value (acquiring a future draft pick for "free").

Saying the right thing and actually doing the right thing are probably ground zero for him not getting another chance.  That and his lack of talent

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 32 Counter Pass said:

You’ll have to forgive me for chuckling when you used Manziel and sincerity together in the same thought.  Kaepernick has displayed some modicum of talent that Manziel has failed to provide so far despite having every opportunity.  He also did just about everything to wreck the opportunity (well paid, no less) short of pissing on the owner’s shoes.

Free agent Johnny Manziel said he will play in the CFL if he does not receive an offer from an NFL team.

Manziel worked out at Texas A&M's Pro Day on Tuesday after working out at San Diego's last week, where he reportedly looked good. Manziel is scheduled to participate in the Spring League next week.

Source: Drew Davidson on Twitter 

Mar 27 - 12:01 PM

On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 6:09 AM, Bossman said:

50/50 shot here? If I'm a GM, I'm not risking $1m in cap hit ... and more importantly, a roster spot, on a 50/50 shot. 

I don't agree that it's 50/50 (I think its a bigger gamble than that) but 50/50 chance of an NFL caliber starter for $1mil?  There's not a GM that would say no to those odds.  They pay a lot more for guys they know are at best NFL backups. 

15 minutes ago, johnadams said:

I don't agree that it's 50/50 (I think its a bigger gamble than that) but 50/50 chance of an NFL caliber starter for $1mil?  There's not a GM that would say no to those odds.  They pay a lot more for guys they know are at best NFL backups. 

Except he is not your typical backup.  The media onslaught you are signing up for is just not worth it.

1 minute ago, pantherclub said:

Except he is not your typical backup.  The media onslaught you are signing up for is just not worth it.

If he's not ready and continues to get into trouble, it's an easy number to cut.  If he's not getting into trouble, the circus will go on hiatus.  People have come back from far greater transgressions than partying and being a Richard. 

I think he’s headed for the CFL where he will need to prove he can play. If you are an NFL executive who advocates to hire Manziel and signs him and he is a disaster, it likely costs you your job. Who wants to take that type of risk?

Edited by Gandalf

53 minutes ago, johnadams said:

If he's not ready and continues to get into trouble, it's an easy number to cut.  If he's not getting into trouble, the circus will go on hiatus.  People have come back from far greater transgressions than partying and being a Richard. 

Players that have come back from far greater transgressions were far greater players.

This kid was just never was that good for a team to wan't to take a chance. ....

and I can't imagine his skill set has improved since he's been out of the league ... unless bong hits and funneling beer increases pocket awareness or something.

5 hours ago, 32 Counter Pass said:

How is what Manziel has done (flipping the bird in preseason for $12K fine, partying in Texas during a bye week and totally lying about it leading to him being benched, heading out to Vegas instead of travelling with the team for the last game of the season, throwing a water bottle at a heck,er at a golf tournament, the domestic abuse incident with Colleen Crowley, repeated violations of the substance abuse policy, and so forth NOT bad league PR?

22 minutes ago, Slider said:

I think he gets a camp invite and a shot at playing. What do teams have to lose? And media onslaught at training camp?  Who cares?

Well, not truly passionate about it, but I guess I do care a little. Manziel is a guy whose attitude and actions paint a continually poor story of him as a player and a human in terms of the continued and ongoing troubles he's had. This isn't one or two incidents, but multiple and ongoing issues since before he started a game as A&M's starting QB to this recent stint of him assuring everyone he's sober and being on the level.

At this point, give someone else a shot. He's had multiple second chances, and I just don't think he deserves yet another in favor of another guy who has always wanted to be there and do whatever it takes to make an impact in the league.

• Like 1

Who do you think would be more likely to get signed by a team with a chance to earn a roster spot, Johnny Manziel or Colin Kaepernick? I think Kap would be the easy choice and I don't think it is very likely that happens so I don't see Johnny football in the NFL this year. If he went to another league and lit it up for a couple years then maybe?

21 minutes ago, BradtheAg said:

Hoping he gets a shot in the NFL, but CFL seems a lot more likely for 2018.

Would be fun to see him go "Doug Flutie" in the CFL.

I hope for his sake he can make it work in the CFL and doesn't stoop to Arena League lows.

Scout’s Notebook: Johnny Manziel, Christian Kirk & A&M’s Day 3 Prospects

Excerpt:

As mentioned, Johnny Manziel was part of the Pro Day. I actually thought he threw the ball better in this workout than he did four years ago at this same place. His ball placement and arm talented showed up well. There were several throws where he was able to lead the receiver into a reception. I thought he might make these receivers have to work for the ball but that wasn’t the case at all. It appears that listening to him talk after the workout that’s he’s in a good place mentally.

Jeff Howe‏ @jeffphowe 19m19 minutes ago

Patriots appear to be hot on Johnny Football

The Patriots met with Johnny Manziel both before and after his workout today, according to @kguregian.

Also remember, Manziel’s first pre-draft visit was with the Patriots. They’ve got a history with him. Watched him work out last week too.

1 hour ago, Warhogs said:

Who do you think would be more likely to get signed by a team with a chance to earn a roster spot, Johnny Manziel or Colin Kaepernick? I think Kap would be the easy choice and I don't think it is very likely that happens so I don't see Johnny football in the NFL this year. If he went to another league and lit it up for a couple years then maybe?

Manziel. Colin Kaepernick played chicken with the owners. Had his gf not said what she did about the Ravens owner last year he would have backed up Flacco and probably had a job right now. Instead she did that, he sued the NFL and that’s probably all history will write as the league has proven time and time again that they will hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil until problems go away.

Well the patriots have taken chances on guys with questionable attitudes before.  Randy Moss.  Albert Haynesworth.  Belichick is so secure in his job that if he offers a small contract to Manziel and it doesnt work out, its not like they will fire him for it. And its not like the media circus can get worse over there.  

Edited by Riversco

4 hours ago, Stompin' Tom Connors said:

How is what Manziel has done (flipping the bird in preseason for $12K fine, partying in Texas during a bye week and totally lying about it leading to him being benched, heading out to Vegas instead of travelling with the team for the last game of the season, throwing a water bottle at a heck,er at a golf tournament, the domestic abuse incident with Colleen Crowley, repeated violations of the substance abuse policy, and so forth NOT bad league PR?

On a macro level, this simply doesn't compare to Kaep's situation.

Manziel has issues many many players have had before him... he will get back or fade away on his own accord.  And the league won't miss a beat either way.

Kaep's scenario isn't even about Kaep.  It is bigger than the player, the team, the league.  He has become a social movement.  It threatens the league, it arguably has and could continue to hurt the league.

Not even close.

Edited by matuski
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, matuski said:

Kaep's scenario isn't even about Kaep.  It is bigger than the player, the team, the league.  He has become a social movement.  It threatens the league, it arguably has and could continue to hurt the league.

:lol:  I especially liked the “threatens the league” part.

56 minutes ago, Bronco Billy said:

:lol:  I especially liked the “threatens the league” part.

Whether the threat is real or not.. the NFL has objectively reacted to it as such.  Not really a debate.

Whereas Manziel is free to jump off his cliff, the NFL wouldn't notice.

Edited by matuski

7 minutes ago, matuski said:

Whether the threat is real or not.. the NFL has objectively reacted to it as such.  Not really a debate.

Whereas Manziel is free to jump off his cliff, the NFL wouldn't notice.

No, they didn’t. They responded to it as a business decision,  Kaepernick chose to use time when he was on the clock, wearing the team uniform, on a venue leased by the team to make a highly volitile personal political statement, and it cost the team and the league money.  The team and the league elected to eliminate the loss of capital as well as rid themselves of an employee who appropriated team resources to his own end.  Pretty simple really.  

That you don’t believe it is not up for debate does not make that true, no matter how strongly you believe it.

Edited by Bronco Billy

6 minutes ago, Bronco Billy said:

No, they didn’t. They responded to it as a business decision,  Kaepernick chose to use time when he was on the clock, wearing the team uniform, on a venue leased by the team to make a highly volitile personal political statement, and it cost the team and the league money.  The team and the league elected to eliminate the loss of capital as well as rid themselves of an employee who appropriated team resources to his own end.  Pretty simple really.  

That you don’t believe it is not up for debate does not make that true, no matter how strongly you believe it.

What do you think a business decision involves?  Hah.

You just painted the picture of the threat and how they reacted to it (their business decision) in great detail.  Thank you.

eta - The threat isn't gone, and they continue to be forced into "business decisions" by Kaep's movement.  Perhaps "legal decisions" better describes those business decisions now.  

Kaep = leaguewide concern.

Manziel = nobody is concerned at all really.

Edited by matuski

4 minutes ago, matuski said:

What do you think a business decision involves?  Hah.

You just painted the picture of the threat and how they reacted to it (their business decision) in great detail.  Thank you.

eta - The threat isn't gone, and they continue to be forced into "business decisions" by Kaep's movement.  Perhaps "legal decisions" better describes those business decisions now.  

Kaep = leaguewide concern.

Manziel = nobody is concerned at all really.

I guess we’re defining the word threat differently.  I don’t see making a decision to eliminate a capital loss as a response to a threat.  That’s a pretty wide lasso there.

Just now, Bronco Billy said:

I guess we’re defining the word threat differently.  I don’t see making a decision to eliminate a capital loss as a response to a threat.  That’s a pretty wide lasso there.

I think we are agreeing.

The threat was/is capital loss (really the only threat the owners would care about.. the bottom line).  With Kaep that potentially exists on a league-wide scale.

The only capital being lost by Johnny is now his own.  Worst case at a team level to whoever pays him.  Nobody is protesting/boycotting the league for a social movement based on Manziels douzhebaggery.

Johnny Manziel reflects on past trouble after Texas A&M pro day

Excerpt:

"I thought he looked better throwing the ball today than he did four years ago," said a veteran NFC scout who was at Manziel's pro day in 2014 and his Tuesday workout. "Better velocity, pretty good accuracy."

"The ball came out quickly," noted another scout who was also there four years ago and again on Tuesday. "And he looked relaxed."

I listened to the interview and that isn't how I interpreted it. Wasn't so much blame as stating facts about the person he used to be as he said in his rebuttal to the criticism. And really, the Browns should blame themselves for not doing their homework and drafting him. That is a fair statement.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Mike said:

And really, the Browns should blame themselves for not doing their homework and drafting him. That is a fair statement.

So you think he told the Browns in predraft interviews that he wasn’t interested in film study, that he didn’t understand play scripting, that he was only interested in winging it playing QB, and that he wanted to party a lot more than he wanted to play pro football?   

The kid was a con man, plain and simple.  And while he keeps saying it was his fault, when pressed he falls back to blaming CLE for his failure.  This kid continues to not get it and has next to no awareness of how big a turd he is.  Any NFL team would be nuts to extend themselves in any way to him.  This is just more conning in an effort to wring one more payday out of some sucker.

• Like 3

That Browns F.O. failed to do their homework several times over.  

After watching the SVP interview, I wouldn't take a chance here.  He's still selling himself, saying the right things, but it all looks superficial.  Add that to my opinion that he never was very good at the pro level and I would pass on him.   

• 4 weeks later...
  • Faust changed the title to Official Johnny Manziel Thread - participates in Fan Controlled Football: 'Feels like I'm super washed up'