What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Johnny Manziel Thread (4 Viewers)

I really think he needs to make his bones in the CFL.
I respectfully disagree. Let him taint the arena/indoor or some regional semi-pro leagues before spreading any stains in the True North Strong and Free.

Faust, I am an endless fan of yours for doing the lord's work on this site over the years. But I will forgive you completely if you focus on other areas aside from Manziel as we head into the season to avoid seeing this thread -- thus avoid seeing this thread getting bumped and giving this Manziel goof any more visibility than he deserves.

Man, I didn't know the Manziel hate ran so deep in me.

ESPN's Mike Reiss believes the Patriots are out on free agent QB Johnny Manziel.

The Patriots brought a scout to Manziel's Pro Day at the University of San Diego and it appeared the team had genuine interest in bringing in the former Heisman Trophy winner for an additional workout. But that ship sailed as soon as New England used a seventh-round pick on LSU signal-caller Danny Etling. The 25-year-old has the CFL to fall back on if he doesn't get another shot in the NFL.

Related: Patriots

Source: ESPN.com 

May 13 - 8:56 AM

Bleacher Report‏Verified account @BleacherReport 34m

Breaking:

Johnny Manziel announces he’ll be playing for Canadian Football League’s Hamilton Tiger-Cats

Breaking:

Johnny Manziel announces he’ll be playing for Canadian Football League’s Hamilton Tiger-Cats
Damn I was hoping he would stay South of the border. Now I have to hope for a sack, fumble or pick every time he lines up under Center. 

squistion said:

Breaking:

Nice.  CFL is absolutely awful, but I might have to go to the Ticats game in Calgary this year if he's starting. 

The situations are much different. Kaep's protest can are linked (right or wrong) to a drop in NFL revenue and bad league PR. That is a mortal sin for owners. 

Manziel, on the other hand, was his own worst enemy. He seems to be on the straight and narrow now. Also, there are new reports that Manziel is willing to play in the CFL if he doesn't get an opportunity in the NFL. That shows a level of sincerity about wanting to play football that Kaep hasn't shown to date. 

Look, I am not trying to lead the Manziel bandwagon, only pointing out it is an opportunity for some team to gain value (acquiring a future draft pick for "free").

No, they didn’t. They responded to it as a business decision,  Kaepernick chose to use time when he was on the clock, wearing the team uniform, on a venue leased by the team to make a highly volitile personal political statement, and it cost the team and the league money.  The team and the league elected to eliminate the loss of capital as well as rid themselves of an employee who appropriated team resources to his own end.  Pretty simple really.  

That you don’t believe it is not up for debate does not make that true, no matter how strongly you believe it.

"League revenues are up, club revenues are up." - Arthur Blank after signing Matt Ryan for a bajillion dollars per year.

I always feel bad for people who believe that a person of any given age is frozen in time as that person for each day after that given age.  I picture a bunch of guys still taking Flinstones Chewable Vitamins and eating nothing but Happy Meals while riding around on their BMX bikes on their way to the baseball card store.

Most people evolve as they turn from child into young man into adults and the better people continue to evolve throughout their adult lives.  The idea that any person is by default locked into being the person they were 5 years ago, 1 year ago, 1 month ago or even this morning is not only horribly flawed thinking but a deeply sad premise. 

Except he is not your typical backup.  The media onslaught you are signing up for is just not worth it.

4 5 7

9 9 9

9 9 8 9 9

10 9 9

12 21 22

11 13 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14

15 16

2 14

14 3 44

25 26 27 28 29 30

32 33

34 35 36 37 38

41 44

46 45

47 47 48 49 50 51

55 54

59 60 61 66 62 63 64 63 65 67 36

69 70 70

71 71 72 73

74 74 75 76

85 88 86

87 85 89 90 90 91

92 92 93 94 95 96

97 98

99 100

Predicting a short-lived stint in the CFL and, for one reason or another, never returning to the NFL. 

Predicting a short-lived stint in the CFL and, for one reason or another, never returning to the NFL. 
I'll give you a reason he'll never return to the NFL.  Off the top of my head, the only QBs that have played well in the CFL to earn a job in the NFL have been Warren Moon, Doug Flutie, and Jeff Garcia.  I'm not willing to say that Manziel is in the same talent level as these guys.

I'll give you a reason he'll never return to the NFL.  Off the top of my head, the only QBs that have played well in the CFL to earn a job in the NFL have been Warren Moon, Doug Flutie, and Jeff Garcia.  I'm not willing to say that Manziel is in the same talent level as these guys.

I would be happy to argue that Manziel has as much, or more, talent than Doug Flutie and Jeff Garcia. There really is no question that he has NFL level physical ability, in spades. It's always been about his work ethic and mental make-up. If he truly gets his head on right there is no reason he can't make it back to the NFL.

Chaka said:
I would be happy to argue that Manziel has as much, or more, talent than Doug Flutie and Jeff Garcia. There really is no question that he has NFL level physical ability, in spades. It's always been about his work ethic and mental make-up. If he truly gets his head on right there is no reason he can't make it back to the NFL.
Well, so they say.  During his time here in Cleveland, I did not witness NFL-level talent, for whatever reason.

Well, so they say.  During his time here in Cleveland, I did not witness NFL-level talent, for whatever reason.
Okay but very few players on Cleveland over the past 20 years have looked to have NFL level talent.  Manziel clearly had it, it's not like he would have gone undrafted if Cleveland hadn't taken him. And he probably still does have that talent, it's always been about his commitment.

Okay but very few players on Cleveland over the past 20 years have looked to have NFL level talent.  Manziel clearly had it, it's not like he would have gone undrafted if Cleveland hadn't taken him. And he probably still does have that talent, it's always been about his commitment.
I dunno.  Who's to say if there was another team foolish enough to draft him.  Certainly, there were plenty who passed on him, and the people who DID take him also drafted Justin Gilbert at #9.

Chaka said:
There really is no question that he has NFL level physical ability, in spades. 

Say what ll?  No question?  Really?

So put that last statement together with this one, and you get that Manziel has way more talent than all but a few of the Browns players over the last 20 years. In fact, according to you, there’s no question about it.

Drinking early today or still drunk from last night?

Last edited by a moderator:
Say what ll?  No question?  Really?

So put that last statement together with this one, and you get that Manziel has way more talent than all but a few of the Browns players over the last 20 years. In fact, according to you, there’s no question about it.

Drinking early today or still drunk from last night?

Or one of the comments was a joke. 

I'll let you try to figure it out from there.

Manziel's fifth and final possession showed promise, as he advanced the Tiger-Cats' offense from its own 29-yard line to the Toronto 12. He threw away his ensuing first-down pass out of bounds and was called for intentional grounding because the ball failed to reach the line of scrimmage, resulting in second-and-32.

"Worst call of the century," Manziel said. "I mean, my whole life I've been taught to throw it right at the stick that's marking the down. I thought I got it there; he told me I was about a yard short. That's the first time I've heard that."

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s like he’s dedicated his life to being incredibly unlikable.  I was listening to ESPN this morning and they are acting very excited for him and think he’ll do great in the CFL.  Then you see this kind of stuff and wonder why they give him so much love.  He still hasn’t grown up one iota.

Good for him. This is showing more character than he has shown collectively since the day he got drafted in NFL.

He's at least giving the appearance of a guy that wants to play football so badly he's willing to be a backup. It's the CFL, if he puts in the work I think he's a great fit for a wide field and that level of competition. Certainly nothing wrong with making a living playing in the CFL imo. If he pulls a Warren Moon and finds his way into the NFL from there all the better.

Users who are viewing this thread