What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Johnny Manziel Thread (9 Viewers)

Rotoworld:

Texas A&M QB Johnny Manziel will not throw at the school's March 5 pro day, instead he will have a personal throwing day on campus on March 27.

This is not a unique situation, as many quarterback prospects have done, and will likely continue to do, the same thing. Manziel likely wants to take more time to plan his passing tree and become comfortable with it. Manziel has not said if he will throw at the NFL Combine.

Source: John McClain on Twitter

Rotoworld:

NFL Films' Greg Cosell believes if an evaluator only watched Texas A&M QB Johnny Manziel's games against Missouri and LSU, "you'd rate him almost undraftable."
LSU defenders previously stated the employed a "mush rush" tactic when facing Manziel, meaning keep gap and lane discipline while constricting the pocket. With that said, teams that consider drafting Manziel will watch every single one of his collegiate games and pinpoint where he wins and where he loses. That can be said for every top quarterback prospect.

Source: Paul Kuharsky on Twitter

Rotoworld:

NFL Films' Greg Cosell believes if an evaluator only watched Texas A&M QB Johnny Manziel's games against Missouri and LSU, "you'd rate him almost undraftable."
LSU defenders previously stated the employed a "mush rush" tactic when facing Manziel, meaning keep gap and lane discipline while constricting the pocket. With that said, teams that consider drafting Manziel will watch every single one of his collegiate games and pinpoint where he wins and where he loses. That can be said for every top quarterback prospect.

I was about to post this blurb as well.

That maybe true but I still wouldn't cut Peyton Manning and his $18M because he looked awful against the Seahawks either.

Rotoworld:

I was about to post this blurb as well.

That maybe true but I still wouldn't cut Peyton Manning and his $18M because he looked awful against the Seahawks either.
Every QB that has ever lived has run into a defense they could not solve.

Rotoworld:

NFL Films' Greg Cosell called Texas A&M QB Johnny Manziel a "see it, throw it passer" and that he is not an anticipation thrower.

"He's not a patient pocket player, if he does not see it right away, he will be gone," Cosell said during an interview. "Then you have to decide if these crazy improvisational plays, which he is obviously exceptional at, you have to decide how many of those he can make in the NFL." Throwing with anticipation is a must in order for an NFL quarterback to sustain success. Cosell notes there is a wide variation in his play. Our own Josh Norris believes Manziel's pocket movement is his gift and his curse.

Source: Sports Talk 790

Rotoworld:

Texas A&M QB Johnny Manziel will not throw at the NFL Combine.
Manziel will attend the Combine, but only plans to throw at his March 27th Pro Day and at private workouts. It's a decision that most top quarterbacks have made in recent years. Manziel, Teddy Bridgewater, Jadeveon Clowney, and Blake Bortles are considered candidates to be drafted by the Texans with the No. 1 overall pick.

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Johnny Manziel's agent, Erik Burkhardt tweeted that Manziel will do all of his throwing on his March 27th Pro Day and his private workouts.
"Johnny Manziel will do all of his throwing at his March 27th Pro Day & private workouts. Teams will have all the time & access they want," said Burkhardt. Manziel would not be the first quarterback to choose not to throw at the NFL Combine. It's probably a better idea to throw to his own receivers that he has a great connection with. At this moment in time, Manziel is set to be a top 5 selection and is focused on putting his best foot forward in front of the scouts.

Source: Erik Burkhardt on Twitter

Last edited by a moderator:
You know Flutie never really got a shot in the NFL until his later years. And he was pretty darn good in Canada. I wonder how he would have faired if he was playing in today's nfl. I think manziel will be solid.

Faust said:
He doing his verion of Peyton Manning : "If you don't draft me I will kick your butt for the next 15 years."
The threat is more effective when you are Peyton Manning.

That said, I'm higher on Manziel than some, and respect his confidence and admire his moxie. I like Bridgewater better, not sure about Bortles, I like his upside, but if they were gone, I would definitely take him if I'm CLE, OAK or MIN.

Daniel Jeremiah was on Total Access today and said he was his #1 QB, thinks he can make all the throws needed to succeed.

I agree Manziel can make all the throws. The question is can he be in control of the pocket. We know he can make plays when #### gets crazy. Can he play within the design of a specific call, though? He gets jittery in the pocket and saves himself in college. In the NFL, you don't run into your own OL from phantom pressure and then make a play, not generally.

2014 NFL Draft: Johnny Manziel criticism -- fact or fiction?

By Dane Brugler | NFLDraftScout.com Senior Analyst

February 14, 2014 9:58 am ET

The quarterback class for the 2014 NFL Draft lacks an Andrew Luck-type of prospect, but it's also a much deeper group than last year, especially at the top with Central Florida's Blake Bortles, Louisville's Teddy Bridgewater and Texas A&M's Johnny Manziel all likely top 10 selections. But the most polarizing quarterback -- and perhaps any prospect -- this year is undoubtedly Johnny Football.

NFL Films producer Greg Cosell turned some heads recently on a Nashville radio program when he said Manziel was "almost undraftable" based on his performances against LSU and Missouri this past season. "He was so bad in those two games, that you'd struggle to figure out, 'Can I even draft this guy?'"

Former NFL general manager Charlie Casserly also offered some negative feedback of Manziel after watching him on film. "He may be a victim of his ability to make plays running the football, so he doesn't stay in the pocket. I'd want to watch tape with him, what are you seeing, why are you running when you don't have to run?"

While both opinions sound harsh for a potential top-five draft pick, I think it's clear Cosell and Casserly have done their homework on Manziel because when I study him on film, his flaws stand out almost as much as the highlight-reel plays that earned him a Heisman Trophy.

When studying NFL prospects, it's easy to praise the highlights, but sometimes we learn more about the player, especially quarterbacks, by examining the lowlights. And when doing a full inventory of Manziel's play the past two seasons, it's the negative plays in particular that stand out.

Rated as my No. 38 overall player, Manziel's college completion percentage (68.9) is a Texas A&M career record, but his inconsistent ball placement is a red flag, especially on deep and power throws. His up-and-down placement appears to stem from an inconsistent base and streaky overall passing mechanics, something that shows frequently on tape. Manziel also needs to learn how to better use his eyes and anticipate passing windows. He telegraphs too many throws and often drops his eye level too quickly when the read is covered.

Manziel's decision-making is something that can be tough to grasp because he will often force passes and tends to be overconfident, often carelessly throwing prayers into coverage. Bottom line, he got away with a lot of throws at the college level that simply won't work in the NFL. Manziel will ignore fundamentals and rely on snap throws, often with his momentum taking him backward, causing some lame ducks. A pupil of quarterback guru George Whitfield, Manziel works hard off the field to improve his mechanics and overall though process, but with the bullets flying in the heat of the moment, it's not so easy to hit the reset button.

The skill-set can be debated all day and I haven't touched on any maturity concerns, but Manziel's size and durability might be the largest concerns for me. It's in his football DNA to hold the ball as long as possible or extend with his legs to make plays, and in a league where defenders are bigger, stronger and faster, violent hits are unavoidable.

How much of a beating can his frame take? Will he hold up for a 16-game NFL schedule? No one has a crystal ball and injuries are a risk for any player who steps onto a football field, but when weighing the odds, chances are it will be an issue at some point for Manziel.

If I were to describe Johnny Football in one word, it would be "unique" -- that's not meant to be negative or positive. He's just different, a unique prospect. There isn't anyone in today's NFL like him.

To be fair, Manziel has plenty of qualities that stand out in a positive way. He has more than enough arm strength. He's extremely fleet of foot with the scrambling instincts to create like no one else. He's smart, ultra-competitive and displays the supreme confidence needed to excel at the position on the biggest of stages. But while the positives are intriguing, the negatives can't be ignored.

Does that mean Johnny Football won't be able to find sustained success? Of course not. But it's easy to see why so many evaluators have concerns about his NFL future.

Rotoworld:

Scouts Inc.'s Kevin Weidl noted he has "never heard so many varying opinions on a prospect" from around the NFL than with Texas A&M QB Johnny Manziel.
It "will be fascinating to watch the process unfold," Weidl concluded. Manziel was called the "consensus" No. 1 quarterback by ESPN's Mel Kiper only a week ago, but we lean more towards Weidl and Todd McShay's comment that teams are currently split on the Aggie passer. With that said, we expect Johnny Manziel to be a top five pick in May.

Source: Kevin Weidl on Twitter

Rotoworld:

Scouts Inc.'s Kevin Weidl noted he has "never heard so many varying opinions on a prospect" from around the NFL than with Texas A&M QB Johnny Manziel.
It "will be fascinating to watch the process unfold," Weidl concluded. Manziel was called the "consensus" No. 1 quarterback by ESPN's Mel Kiper only a week ago, but we lean more towards Weidl and Todd McShay's comment that teams are currently split on the Aggie passer. With that said, we expect Johnny Manziel to be a top five pick in May.

I respect Mel Kiper....But this kid is not going to make a great pro....he is listed at 6' 1"....I will be shocked if he measures that tall at the combine. He will go pretty high in the draft but I dont think his game will translate to the NFL....Time will tell...I hear he wont throw at the combine...no shock there

He doing his verion of Peyton Manning : "If you don't draft me I will kick your butt for the next 15 years."

That said, I'm higher on Manziel than some, and respect his confidence and admire his moxie. I like Bridgewater better, not sure about Bortles, I like his upside, but if they were gone, I would definitely take him if I'm CLE, OAK or MIN.

Daniel Jeremiah was on Total Access today and said he was his #1 QB, thinks he can make all the throws needed to succeed.
If the Texans select someone else, Manziel expects to end up in Jacksonville with the third choice. Cleveland drafts fourth.

“It would be the worst decision they’ve ever made,” Manziel said of the possibility of the Texans passing on him. “I’d be in the same division playing against them twice a year. Sorry, but you just turned that chip on my shoulder from a Frito into a Dorito.”
I don't know how Jags fans are taking this but it almost like he asking the Texans to save him from ending up in Jacksonville.

Donnybrook said:
Faust said:

If the Texans select someone else, Manziel expects to end up in Jacksonville with the third choice. Cleveland drafts fourth.

It would be the worst decision theyve ever made, Manziel said of the possibility of the Texans passing on him. Id be in the same division playing against them twice a year. Sorry, but you just turned that chip on my shoulder from a Frito into a Dorito.
I don't know how Jags fans are taking this but it almost like he asking the Texans to save him from ending up in Jacksonville.
I didn't take it that way, but I wouldn't be shocked at that perception.

Rotoworld:

I respect Mel Kiper....But this kid is not going to make a great pro....he is listed at 6' 1"....I will be shocked if he measures that tall at the combine. He will go pretty high in the draft but I dont think his game will translate to the NFL....Time will tell...I hear he wont throw at the combine...no shock there
Kiper said Jimmy Clausen should go top 5 and would be an all pro QB in the NFL.

Donnybrook said:
Faust said:

It would be the worst decision theyve ever made, Manziel said of the possibility of the Texans passing on him. Id be in the same division playing against them twice a year. Sorry, but you just turned that chip on my shoulder from a Frito into a Dorito.
I didn't take it that way, but I wouldn't be shocked at that perception.
Jags are on the way up. If I were Manziel I wouldn't mind going there.

Rotoworld:

New Browns GM Ray Farmer said Texas A&M QB Johnny Manziel "jump off the tape."
"He's a good football player," Farmer said. "That's what Kyle recognizes." The comments were in response to incoming Cleveland offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan's rhetorical question: "Who wouldn't like [Manziel]?" The Cleveland Plain Dealer asked Farmer about Manziel's character, and the executive wasn't necessarily emphatically supportive: "It's about getting a full, comprehensive report. Who is the guy as a football player? What's his football knowledge? What are his work habits? What's his ability or demeanor to want to eat the tape and work on it and grind on it? What's his level of intelligence? Everybody won't have the same boxes checked." When Farmer was asked if he thought there was a franchise QB in this draft, he said: "I'll plead the fifth on that one."

Source: Cleveland Plain Dealer

If Manziel goes anywhere in the top 10, it might just be the single biggest reach in draft history. The guy has second day talent at best not to mention highly questionable leadership and judgement.
I love when people identify themselves this way. Makes it easier around here.
Unlike some others, I will also readily admit when I am wrong. I just don't want my team anywhere near him on draft day. Especially if it's going to cost a top 10 pick to get him.
Unless your team has a franchise QB, I don't understand why you would say this. I don't know what he will do in the NFL, and neither do you. I know one thing, he is a game changing playmaker that will bring a lot of attention to a franchise. Basically everything you would want out of a top 10 pick. Haters gonna hate.......
He is 6ft 200lbs, character issues and concerns about his arm strength. Thats why people may be hesitant.
Video game numbers in the best conference in college football.
The history of college football is littered with guys like that who did nothing in the NFL.

Johnny Manziel on his political campaign lol. Kudos to his PR team with all the recent news. Smart move to not Geno Smith your way out of the 1st round. Burry those skeletons Johnny.

Rotoworld:

Texas A&M QB Johnny Manziel admitted to being shorter than his listed height of 6 foot 1, but says he will measure in at 6 feet at the NFL Combine.

"I’m 72 inches on the dot," Manziel said. "If they want to try to jump on my shoulders and squish me down, it’s not going to be any less than that." The Aggie noted Russell Wilson has "kicked the door wide open" for shorter quarterbacks. Manziel's movement is his gift and curse, but teams will question if he can be patient enough to consistently win from the pocket.

Source: Houston Chronicle

Neofight said:
Grahamburn said:
Video game numbers in the best conference in college football.
The history of college football is littered with guys like that who did nothing in the NFL.
You dug deep for this one. I'll bite. Who?
Start with Spurrier and work your way forward...http://www.heisman.com/index.php/heismanWinners
I counted three guys who have played in the current SEC. The only player comparable to Manziel numbers wise is Cam.

Mayock: Johnny Manziel a mix of Doug Flutie, Fran Tarkenton

By Chase Goodbread

College Football 24/7 writer

Who does Johnny Manziel look like on a football field?

One quarterback can't define him, as far as NFL Media analyst Mike Mayock is concerned. But Mayock was able to combine two for a Manziel comparision: Doug Flutie and Fran Tarkenton.

"At the end of the day, he's different than any quarterback I've done before," Mayock said. "He's different than RGIII, he's different than Cam Newton, different than Andrew Luck. He's different than Russell Wilson. I believe in the kid. I think he's going to be a top 10, if not a top five pick, but you're going to have to live with some of those negative plays in addition to the positive ones."

Mayock said the Flutie/Tarkenton comparison struck him while watching tape of Manziel's pre-eminent college performance, a 49-42 home loss to then-No. 1-ranked Alabama on Sept. 14.

"The first tape I put in was Alabama, and I put the tape down about two hours later and said, 'Wow, that was awesome,'" Mayock said. "It was really fun to watch. The kid made throws, he allows other players to make plays, he gave Mike Evans a chance to make plays. He extended plays. He was a combination of Fran Tarkenton and Doug Flutie. I really enjoyed it, and there were two or three more tapes like that."

Manziel completed 28 of 39 passes that day for 464 yards and five touchdowns, plus another 98 rushing yards on 14 attempts. Although the Aggies lost, it was a thorough carving of one of the nation's top defenses on one of the biggest regular-season stages of the season. Mayock's concern came when he reviewed Texas A&M's two late-season losses to LSU and Missouri, when Manziel played nowhere near as well.

"Both (losses), the common denominator for me was that I felt like he got frustrated in the pocket," he said. "LSU and Missouri did a great job with controlling the rush and keeping him in the pocket. The more he was in the pocket, the more frustrated he got. He started to lose his accuracy. He started trying to escape the pocket way before he needed to. I feel like he doesn't like being confined. He likes those open spaces. We've got to evaluate him a little differently because of that. I felt like he would back out of the pocket, and all of a sudden, the accuracy is down, the decision-making is down, and NFL teams are going to (see) that very quickly. Having said all that, I do believe that he's got the arm strength, the athletic ability, the passion for the game."

Manziel completed just 16 of 41 passes with a pair of interceptions against LSU in a 35-10 loss in what was the worst performance of his two-year career as a starter. A week later, he was more accurate, but not much more effective, against Missouri.

Follow Chase Goodbread on Twitter @ChaseGoodbread

By Chase Goodbread

"The first tape I put in was Alabama, and I put the tape down about two hours later and said, 'Wow, that was awesome,'" Mayock said. "It was really fun to watch. The kid made throws, he allows other players to make plays, he gave Mike Evans a chance to make plays. He extended plays. He was a combination of Fran Tarkenton and Doug Flutie. I really enjoyed it, and there were two or three more tapes like that."
When I read this, where Mayock gushes over how much he enjoyed the tape on Manziel it made me wonder about how much of the 'excitement factor' elevates him over a more mundane QB prospect who moves his team in a boring or a more conventional manner.

I would imagine if part of our job was to sit and watch tape for hours and hours and hours, seeing the same thing over and over again that when you see a tape that is totally different and in Mayock's own words. "Wow, that was awesome." and "I really enjoyed it."

I have to question how much the 'wow factor' might make an evaluator overlook negative aspects or if the 'wow factor' makes an evaluator discount a play that has the same outcome but wasn't exciting.

Exciting plays are great but if a boring/mundane/conventional play produces the same result then I'm not sure how to value the 'wow factor'.

Bracie Smathers said:

By Chase Goodbread

When I read this, where Mayock gushes over how much he enjoyed the tape on Manziel it made me wonder about how much of the 'excitement factor' elevates him over a more mundane QB prospect who moves his team in a boring or a more conventional manner.

I would imagine if part of our job was to sit and watch tape for hours and hours and hours, seeing the same thing over and over again that when you see a tape that is totally different and in Mayock's own words. "Wow, that was awesome." and "I really enjoyed it."

I have to question how much the 'wow factor' might make an evaluator overlook negative aspects or if the 'wow factor' makes an evaluator discount a play that has the same outcome but wasn't exciting.

Exciting plays are great but if a boring/mundane/conventional play produces the same result then I'm not sure how to value the 'wow factor'.
I've thought about this too. Manziel would immediately excite a fanbase for teams that are struggling to sell tickets like Tampa and Jacksonville. If those teams are looking to sell out their games look no further than Johnny Football. I wonder if a team like this would make a rash decision based simply on the business of football?

John McClaine spent some time getting to know John Football.

He wants the Texans to take him #1.

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/article/Manziel-fills-the-bill-of-No-1-draftee-5243235.php?t=df9eff65bbcc308649#/0

Manziel fills the bill of No. 1 draftee

By John McClain

February 17, 2014 | Updated: February 19, 2014 9:08pm

When Johnny Manziel arrives in Indianapolis on Wednesday for the NFL scouting combine and begins interviews with potential employers, as well as close to 800 members of the media, I predict he will blow them away.

The Texans have the first overall pick May 8, the first day of the three-day draft. Manziel said last week he dreams about being the top pick and he wants to continue his career with the Texans.

I've heard some comment that Manziel would feel that way about any team with the top pick. I say they're clueless about what it means to grow up in the Lone Star State.

Manziel starred at Kerrville Tivy and Texas A&M, and he wants Houston to be his next destination.

This is my 35th season covering the NFL, specifically the Oilers and Texans, for the Chronicle. I've never met a quarterback preparing for the draft who impressed me more than Manziel did last week when I spent time with him in Houston and San Diego.

I'm not talking about Manziel as a player. I've seen almost all of his games since he helped Texas A&M upset Alabama in 2012, the season he became the first freshman to win the Heisman Trophy. No one disputes that he had two tremendous seasons against the best competition in college football. If you don't believe it, just ask Nick Saban.

I'm talking about Manziel's personality - his passion, competitiveness, intelligence and sincerity.

I came away with a different opinion than I had about Johnny Football being a wild child off the field, one destined to be followed by TMZ cameras after he became a starting quarterback in the NFL.

Before I met Manziel and watched him train for the draft, I said I hoped the Texans would select him because I think he'd be exciting to cover. Nothing creates a buzz in NFL cities like a quarterback taken with the first pick.

I've been told by readers and listeners - and some friends, too - that Manziel was blowing smoke up my tape recorder.

I think I've been around enough players through the decades to know when that's the case. When Manziel told me on several occasions he's learned from his "goofball" decisions that got him on TMZ and other websites, I believed him.

Of course Manziel was going to be on his best behavior. He's got a terrific management team. He listens to those who are on it. That's why he hired them. They want him to be the top pick. So does he.

Naturally, Manziel would want to make a positive impression on the newspaper that covers the Texans. He'd be foolish if he didn't.

And he did.

When Manziel starts the interview process at the combine, he's going to have to convince coaches and general managers - and a couple of owners like Jerry Jones - that he's matured.

Before a team drafts Manziel and guarantees him millions of dollars, it wants to be certain that after he leaves the practice facility at night, he's not going out on the town. He's got to prove he's going to eat, sleep and drink football.

At the combine, the Texans will have 15 minutes with Manziel, Teddy Bridgewater and Blake Bortles - the quarterbacks who are candidates to be the top pick.

Between now and the draft, Texans coach Bill O'Brien and general manager Rick Smith will have the combine, pro days, private workouts and lunches and dinners with the three quarterbacks.

All will be impressive.

At this point in the evaluation process, the Texans have no idea which quarterback will win them over. No one does. It's way too early.

All we know is the Texans have a desperate need for a quarterback, and O'Brien can have his pick.

From Friday, when O'Brien and Smith meet with media covering the combine, until they make the pick, they'll try hard to convince everybody they might not take a quarterback, that they'll take the best player available.

Expect that player to be the highest quarterback on their draft board. We'll have a better idea of who it might be as we get closer to the draft.

And I'm still hoping it'll be Manziel.

Johnny Manziel comes up short of 6 feet at NFL Combine

By Chase Goodbread

INDIANAPOLIS -- A week after promising he would measure "72 inches on the dot" at the NFL Scouting Combine, quarterback Johnny Manziel came up just short of the mark in the official measurement early riday morning.

The former Texas A&M quarterback many expect to be taken in the top three picks in the NFL Draft, came in at 5--foot-11 3/4, and weighed 207 pounds, according to NFL Media analysts Gil Brandt and Daniel Jeremiah.

Manziel's height is among NFL scouting concerns about his pro potential, although he is widely considered one of the top three quarterbacks in the draft, along with Louisville's Teddy Bridgewater and Central Florida's Blake Bortles.

Manziel's hand size, also important to NFL scouts for quarterback evaluations (particularly smaller quarterbacks), measured large as advertised at 9 7/8 inches.

Concerns about Eastern Illinois QB Jimmy Garopollo's hand size were eased a bit when his were measured 9 1/4 inches. Many consider 9 inches to be the minimum standard for NFL quarterbacks.

Other notable measurements:

» Bridgewater: 6-2 1/8, 214 pounds, 9 1/4 hands.

» Bortles: 6-5, 232 pounds.

Follow Chase Goodbread on Twitter @ChaseGoodbread

Users who are viewing this thread